• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

FStop7

Banned
Do you have a Uniqlo near you? Their UK stores do very affordable denim which isn't terrible.

The fit on those isn't my cup of tea but look absolutely fine on guys if you're comfortable in them (tho personally I think that sizing should be reserved for darker colours/black).

Yeah, there's a Uniqlo at the Beverly Center. Lucky to have a lot of options in LA, though they're all spread out. Was already planning on stopping by SL and Dior Homme in Beverly Hills just to see what's up, Uniqlo's a short drive from there. The biggest thing I've taken away from this thread is that "fashion" and "style" are different things and that you can be very knowledgeable about fashion but it takes a lot of experimentation to develop a style.

Didn't mean to monopolize the thread and thank you again for the responses. Please enjoy a cape.

https://www.grailed.com/listings/726074-Undercover-Cold-Blood-Cape

3o72FgvGV0XkMKdPC8.gif

For what it's worth, I used to only get jeans from Uniqlo but they started only carrying skinny tapered in length 34, and when I used their in-house hemming they took the taper out :\

Zaph

Yeah, there's a Uniqlo at the Beverly Center. Lucky to have a lot of options in LA, though they're all spread out. Was already planning on stopping by SL and Dior Homme in Beverly Hills just to see what's up, Uniqlo's a short drive from there. The biggest thing I've taken away from this thread is that "fashion" and "style" are different things and that you can be very knowledgeable about fashion but it takes a lot of experimentation to develop a style.
Yeah, but honestly, once you figure out your uniform it doesn't take a lot of thought to dress it up or down as required and stay looking good.

Get the essentials locked down, and then build off there - no point wasting money in the latest arrivals section until you have a better idea of how it'll fit into your overall wardrobe. You will always look better in a clean, well fitting, but slightly boring outfit, rather than as one of those guys who just threw a bunch of Balmain in the air.

Before you know it you'll be dreaming about Mihara Yasuhiro boots.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I really like Banana Republic's slim fit travel jeans but the leg openings are too wide and the rise is a little dad-ish. The Topmans were very low rise and ideal below the knee but I wish they had just bit more room in the thigh.

Nudie Tube Toms might work for you. Mine fit like the Topman pair in your pic but with a slightly roomier thigh -- just what you're after.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
What are your thoughts about Everlane's quality?
I'm thinking of buying some stuff from there next time they have two weeks of international shipping.

Lotto

What are your thoughts about Everlane's quality?
I'm thinking of buying some stuff from there next time they have two weeks of international shipping.

I only have their tees and they're good for the price. Fit seems to be kinda inconsistent across colors though, not sure if they fixed that. Can't chime in for anything else.

Mens sweatshirts have weird fit IMO, the pants and tees are nice. But not so nice that I'd go to great lengths to buy; you can probably get something similar to their offerings during a standard sale season. The women's stuff is better in terms of selection, fwiw.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Was mosly interested in their modern snapback in reverse denim and a little curious about the navy sweater blazer.

Anyone want to recommend good looking backpacks or bags (Don't need to be super big and the utility doesn't have to be massive, maybe a laptop compartment) for under $100 that I can buy instead I'd really appreciate it.
I did look at some higher grade backpacks (leather military in range $150-250) but I decided I should spend less on it.

I'm in the same boat re bags, not sure if I care enough to ball hard on a backpack or just get some regular ol thing. Probably the latter; maybe the everlane rolltop Herschel Iona or something

https://www.eastdane.com/iona-backp...1/1517781940.htm?folderID=19222&colorId=12867

The interior makes me scust a bit tho. The other one I dig is a lotuff canvas combo or a masterpiece nylon

http://lotuffleather.com/collections/canvas-and-leather-bags/products/canvas-and-leather-backpack

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...cal-nylon-and-black-soft-calf.html#aboutmaker

The lotuff looks nice but probably bulky, and the masterpiece is cool but maybe too Japanese fo my meager American swag levels

Quick

Banned
Got my Pistol Lake order today. They're really nice shirts, unfortunately it seems to be a size too small on me. I don't have the body to pull off the tight fit, so I'll have to do an exchange.

That being said, I might order more soon.

FStop7

Banned
Tried the Topman stretch skinnies in black and not only do they look better to me, they feel better. There's a little more stretch. Tried them on with my ASW Tubular X.

I grabbed a couple of pairs of Zanerobes, too. Cling joggers in black, they're stretchy fabric about one step looser than tights. They're really, really comfortable. And a pair of Salerno joggers in camo.

I think I'm pretty much done with wardrobe updates for a while. Though I am on the lookout for a pair of SL01 hightops or MM Futures. If I go to the MM boutique to try on the Futures I'll make a lot of jokes about waking up in a new Bugatti because I bet they've never heard that before and would really enjoy it.

Oh and there's some kind of sale going on at Zara. It's like the scene from Event Horizon of the crew going insane. If you know anyone who works there please keep them in your thoughts.

Self Portrait; Shot & Edited by Myself. I wanted to test photography skill one random night after a Jazz Event since I was dress decently.

Top: Lacoste x Pant: Saks x Shoes: Mercanti Fiorentini x Belt: Levi x Watch: Diesel

+jumped in
0807e57ff19e3585db9fe5d2ffb93a86

+skated up
553402715ab6455184f7358ffb658f1d

+out boxed
4483a1225bbc72fa177fa1723d941519

FStop7

Banned
Self Portrait; Shot & Edited by Myself. I wanted to test photography skill one random night after a Jazz Event since I was dress decently.

Top: Lacoste x Pant: Saks x Shoes: Mercanti Fiorentini x Belt: Levi x Watch: Diesel

I like the color palette a lot, especially the way the that patch of paint matches your clothes.

I think you need more light on yourself, though.

My photography mentors would probably criticize the amount of negative space, too. I don't know if I'd agree with that, though. I've never been crazy about that "rule." If it were me I might consider switching to 4:3 format in portrait and crop it down a bit.

It might also be a little more effective if you're not standing right in the middle of the frame.

here is a quick and dirty example.

123jksok.png

I think this is the best pic because the boxing gloves immediately grab the eye and the yellow pops quite nicely. Your facial expression's great. The square of dark paint matches your pants. The colors all work together. The seam in the wall is just the right distance from your right hand that it creates some visual tension but it's also aesthetically pleasing. The lines on the wall and floor all work together.

I like the color palette a lot, especially the way the that patch of paint matches your clothes.

I think you need more light on yourself, though.

My photography mentors would probably criticize the amount of negative space, too. I don't know if I'd agree with that, though. I've never been crazy about that "rule." If it were me I might consider switching to 4:3 format in portrait and crop it down a bit.

It might also be a little more effective if you're not standing right in the middle of the frame.

here is a quick and dirty example.

123jksok.png

I think this is the best pic because the boxing gloves immediately grab the eye and the yellow pops quite nicely. Your facial expression's great. The square of dark paint matches your pants. The colors all work together. The seam in the wall is just the right distance from your right hand that it creates some visual tension but it's also aesthetically pleasing. The lines on the wall and floor all work together.

Thank you sir,

You acknowledged what I failed to even consider. I appreciate your critique a lot! Thank you so much.

FStop7

Banned
Thank you sir,

You acknowledged what I failed to even consider. I appreciate your critique a lot! Thank you so much.

Any time, I love this stuff! Most of the time we never consider any of it until after we've taken the photos. You just get that feeling when you know something looks "right" and you picked a nice backdrop and clothes. And the boxing gloves were a creative touch.

BTW - another benefit of framing your photos with more of the vertical in mind is that it tends to work better on Instagram.

+jumped in
0807e57ff19e3585db9fe5d2ffb93a86

+skated up
553402715ab6455184f7358ffb658f1d

+out boxed
4483a1225bbc72fa177fa1723d941519

Nice shots

Not something I'd wear but it works for you

h3ro

YUP. What did you pick up?.

Where to start...

I knew going in that I was going to focus on the DBs so I'm happy I was able to snag the bright blue chalk stripe Madison suit in my size as well as the white linen Madison jacket.

Picked up 10 shirts (lot's of pinstriped Egyptian cotton spread collar shirts in multiple colors) and just as many ties in a mix of seasonal patterns/textures for this fall. Couple of nice squares (got all 3 of the doily squares from 2 seasons ago) and a few basics like some socks, linen sweater etc. Also picked up a jacket for my brother (wool linen Madison blue jacket), suit for my brother in law (grey striped Washington) and for my wife's cousin (blue pinstripe Havana).

My email looks like a mess right now from all the transaction emails because I was checking out as soon as I put something in the cart. Got sniped too many times in January!

How about you? (I'm still bitter I lost out on that ox blood 3 piece Havana in January lol )

fep

YUP.
F cloth rocks! Works great for summertime hell in the south.

I might have to try Outlier, my Ministry of Supply package came in and fit isn't working for me. Size 30, I can see the silhouette of my underwear through the pants. Size 32 and there is too much fabric in the crotch area...

giga

Where to start...

I knew going in that I was going to focus on the DBs so I'm happy I was able to snag the bright blue chalk stripe Madison suit in my size as well as the white linen Madison jacket.

Picked up 10 shirts (lot's of pinstriped Egyptian cotton spread collar shirts in multiple colors) and just as many ties in a mix of seasonal patterns/textures for this fall. Couple of nice squares (got all 3 of the doily squares from 2 seasons ago) and a few basics like some socks, linen sweater etc. Also picked up a jacket for my brother (wool linen Madison blue jacket), suit for my brother in law (grey striped Washington) and for my wife's cousin (blue pinstripe Havana).

My email looks like a mess right now from all the transaction emails because I was checking out as soon as I put something in the cart. Got sniped too many times in January!

How about you? (I'm still bitter I lost out on that ox blood 3 piece Havana in January lol )
Nice! I picked up a Madison as well. Only a jacket though -- I def didn't see a suit version?! Maybe they were just out of my size.

Also got…
- Sienna suit (S130s for $250? You betcha.)
- Washington jacket (like my 3rd Washington now..)
- Washington suit (S120s S/S wool…I have a Washington addiction.)
- A few tidbits like a leather bag and two ties

As for that oxblood three piece Havana…I've yet to not get a compliment each time I wear it. :D Don't worry that Madison suit will do very well.

dramatis

Don't know if you guys know about it, but I stumbled on an article about this JP app known as "Wear" that's launching in the US.

http://wear.net/

Social media may have revolutionized the way designers share their work and inspirations, but for true style-watchers, all the noise tends to obscure one enduring question: What are the world’s best-dressed people actually wearing every day? Now, a new app promises to do for personal style what Instagram did for the selfie—and it’s already a hit in Japan, where the style tribes and shopping habits are famously next-level. Called Wear, it delivers a steady stream of fresh-from-the-sidewalk looks to 7 million users in 21 countries—like a Fashion Week–style blog in real time, year-round. And the best part? Each outfit is as easy to shop as it is to like.
[From Vogue]

Mucking around, each photo from whatever user in the world usually comes with a list of the clothing items. Might be interesting to some of you guys.

h3ro

Nice! I picked up a Madison as well. Only a jacket though -- I def didn't see a suit version?! Maybe they were just out of my size.

Also got…
- Sienna suit (S130s for $250? You betcha.)
- Washington jacket (like my 3rd Washington now..)
- Washington suit (S120s S/S wool…I have a Washington addiction.)
- A few tidbits like a leather bag and two ties

As for that oxblood three piece Havana…I've yet to not get a compliment each time I wear it. :D Don't worry that Madison suit will do very well.

Which Madison jacket did you pick up? I already had the blue one, bought that full price 2 years ago and absolutely love it! It's not as shiny as it looks in the website pics, a much more saturated Navy with some nice flecks of white/gray in it.
Really looking forward to the cream linen Madison. It's going to be in heavy rotation for the next few months once I get it tailored.
As for the full Madison suit, I picked it up for fun. It's loud, bright and pinstriped. Very much in Suit Supply's aesthetic from a few years ago that they have slowly gotten away from.

One regret I have is that I didn't pull the trigger on the Washington in gray 130's wool. I have a DB in the same material but blue and it's gorgeous. Also probably should have grabbed the light silver gray Cashmere jacket while it's available.

Thankfully the outlet is all but picked dry.

giga

Which Madison jacket did you pick up? I already had the blue one, bought that full price 2 years ago and absolutely love it! It's not as shiny as it looks in the website pics, a much more saturated Navy with some nice flecks of white/gray in it.
Really looking forward to the cream linen Madison. It's going to be in heavy rotation for the next few months once I get it tailored.
As for the full Madison suit, I picked it up for fun. It's loud, bright and pinstriped. Very much in Suit Supply's aesthetic from a few years ago that they have slowly gotten away from.

One regret I have is that I didn't pull the trigger on the Washington in gray 130's wool. I have a DB in the same material but blue and it's gorgeous. Also probably should have grabbed the light silver gray Cashmere jacket while it's available.

Thankfully the outlet is all but picked dry.
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/madison-blue-plain/C752.html?vpid=C75205

The blue linen-cotton one. Same as yours?

I looked at the site again today and caved on this for the fall: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/hudson-blue-check/C921I.html?vpid=C921I05

So damn striking and it was too cheap not to try.

h3ro

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/madison-blue-plain/C752.html?vpid=C75205

The blue linen-cotton one. Same as yours?

I looked at the site again today and caved on this for the fall: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/hudson-blue-check/C921I.html?vpid=C921I05

So damn striking and it was too cheap not to try.
Yup, that's the one! One of my favorite Suit Supply pieces.

Also, after seeing that jacket you just got, I picked up this lol

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/c_jackets/hudson-brown-birds-eye/C907I.html?cgid=C_Jackets&prefn1=size&prefv1=40

28407172865_871a0b89fc_c.jpg

jacket and pants - melinda gloss / shirt - vintage / shoes - nue gucci

with superfuture / stylezeitgeist / thefashionspot basically dead, have any new fashion forums risen to take their place? i'm starving for a good place to discuss fashion collections / trends / etc. reddit / 4chan / styleforum have too many stupid people on them

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
So what are the opinions of the Acne Ace jeans in here?
Really thinking about picking up a pair next time I'm in Gothenburg.

Top Bottom