• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Sorry to be here and bother everyone about bags(again).

Read up on Herschel and they seem to have a bit of a poor quality both in materials and construction so I looked around for some other bags found a few and would like to hear you opinion on them.

Sandqvist Stig
Miscellaneous Adventures X Millican 18L Roll Pack

Also I REALLY liked the look of the TOPO Klettersacks but the markup is ridicilous for Europe so sadly they are out of the question :(

Zekes!

What good running shoes do you recommend? I'm not sure what materiald to look for.

I'm no expert so I probably won't be much help with actual shoe recommendations. I've worn Nike Lunar Flyknits for the last few years for running, so those are the only ones I can really vouch for. I like them a lot, they're really light comfortable.

Where do you live? The US? I'd recommend just hitting up your local Running shops or sneaker stores and trying on some of their running shoes. You can probably find some cheap Nike/Adidas/Asics etc runners at places like Ross/Winners/Marshell's too.

Quick

Banned
That feel when you rummage through your closet and find some jeans that are a size or two bigger on you now.

I have three or four pairs of jeans that I might get altered to taper the legs and bring the waist and seat in. Feels like a waste getting rid of them when they may still be salvageable. They're mostly Levis too.

My backpack angst may be coming to an end. Found a cool rucksack by UTC00; anyone heard of them? They're apparently very new and only a few stockists available.

Phb8Wsb.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Business casual/casual work help needed. New job has a fairly relaxed dress code - smart jeans, shoes, shirt with no tie - that sort of thing. That's fine, but what kind of coat goes with that style? especially now while it's fairly warm 1 do I need a blazer or something? And how about for the winter?

I'd wear a cotton Harrington with something like that personally, a blazer seems too dressed up for that kind of relaxed form of dress. Winter would be peacoat type territory

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd wear a cotton Harrington with something like that personally, a blazer seems too dressed up for that kind of relaxed form of dress. Winter would be peacoat type territory

Thanks. Yeah I was worried about the blazer but you see quite a few people wearing that kind of combo. Don't think it's my taste though.

I have an old pea coat so I'll dig that out and see if it's still usable. Will check out harringtons too.

Is there such a thing as a money clip that isn't cheesy? I like using my card case instead of a full size wallet but occasionally I actually need to carry around cash.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Guys,nothing but praise for Zanerobe's customer service. I ordered a jacket from them that came with a faulty zipper. They were really fast in responding, asked for photos, concluded the zipper was faulty and asked to send it back. They reimbursed the costs of sending it, are sending a new one back to me AND gave me a nice amount of store credit as a gesture. Went from man, this sucks to ok, their service is the tits.

Here's hoping it was just a dud and the next jacket will be in solid condition.

Got a few questions. I've been good about taking care of my denim and rarely washing it, but shit happens and got some mud on the knees of a favorite pair.

Simply soaking them doesn't really do the trick. How do y'all do actual deep cleans of your denim before resorting to the wash machine?

Unrelated--what are y'all's leather boot care routines? Seems like everyone has an opinion of how this should be done.

NinjaBoiX

Got a few questions. I've been good about taking care of my denim and rarely washing it, but shit happens and got some mud on the knees of a favorite pair.

Simply soaking them doesn't really do the trick. How do y'all do actual deep cleans of your denim before resorting to the wash machine?
I must admit, I have subscribed to the opinion that the less you wash your jeans the better, that's pretty standard practice for any garment. The process of washing inadvertently eats away at the fabric, it's just physics and unavoidable.

Having said that, I got some nice Diesel jeans a few months back (they cost me £30) and I've washed them a handful of times since and they still look great. Maybe if your jeans deteriorate so badly in some warm water and a bit of detergent you just bought shit, overpriced jeans.

I'm sorry, people who wash regularly worn garments once or twice a year are just gross and place their precious "kid gloves" approach to clothing over basic hygiene and common decency.

FStop7

Banned

fep

Unrelated--what are y'all's leather boot care routines? Seems like everyone has an opinion of how this should be done.

I wipe down my leather boots every week or when dirty, use a shoe tree, and condition with coconut oil every ~7-10 wears.

Speaking of cleaning, I spilled some coffee on my white/grey suede trainers. Coffee splotch right on the grey suede - battle scar or can I fix this? I've read using something like cornmeal to absorb it up may work, but I haven't tried yet.

Here's a card case with a zip pouch. Not that I'm necessarily saying get this exact one, but it's an idea.

https://www.ssense.com/en-us/men/product/saint-laurent/black-fragments-card-holder/1649083

but you should totally get this one so i can also get it and not feel like a complete asshole for spending 300 on a card case

I already have this card case https://us.burberry.com/colour-block-london-leather-card-case-p40165961 I have no interest in changing it for a new one, especially not one with a zip pouch.

Lotto

I must admit, I have subscribed to the opinion that the less you wash your jeans the better, that's pretty standard practice for any garment. The process of washing inadvertently eats away at the fabric, it's just physics and unavoidable.

this idea has been perpetuated by the internet for far too long, it's simply not true. not washing your jeans for even 2 months of wear 5-7 days a week will make your jeans fall apart faster but that's the whole idea i guess. denimheads subscribe to 'sick fadez' and adding 'character' to their jeans and not washing them for extended periods of time wears the jeans out faster to give those effects. if you're not giving them a nice soak/wash often then they're for sure going to wear out quicker. washing gets rid of all the oils/starch/grime that causes the cotton to become weaker and rip apart.

NinjaBoiX

this idea has been perpetuated by the internet for far too long, it's simply not true. not washing your jeans for even 2 months of wear 5-7 days a week will make your jeans fall apart faster but that's the whole idea i guess. denimheads subscribe to 'sick fadez' and adding 'character' to their jeans and not washing them for extended periods of time wears the jeans out faster to give those effects. if you're not giving them a nice soak/wash often then they're for sure going to wear out quicker. washing gets rid of all the oils/starch/grime that causes the cotton to become weaker and rip apart.
Really? I thought it was all about not washing the dye out of them and softening the denim too much. Regardless, I like my clothes clean so I wash my jeans once or twice a month.

Denim fashion trends are so lame anyway, apparently really precisely ripped jeans are the new hot shit, laser cut slits at perfect intervals down each leg. I saw some tit walking about with perfect squares cut out of the knees, he looked like a right chump.

Roi

Just bought a nice shirt from Kronstadt! I was wondering if you guys button up completely or leave one or two open?

xlarge.jpg

NinjaBoiX

I would usually do the top button unless the shirt is too tight.

Anything more than the top two buttons undone is simply not acceptable unless you're in a boy band filming a soft focus music video on the beach.

Mieu

I'm getting Converse Chuck Taylor II High Tops. Can I run with them?

New Balance
Nike
Adidas
Asics

Pick your poison. But you will have to be fitted so you can have the best pair for your feet.

If you are flat footed, you need those stability shoes.

Are there big guys here? I mean, I find it really hard to be styliflsh because of the big or plus size

so i've ended up ordering the masterpiece tenor backpack.

utc is cool but the material is too shiny for my work. 👀

thus closes the chapter of bag angst.
I just wear sweatpants now
same; i've embraced my dad uniform, if it doesn't have a stretchy waist its no bueno... for summer this means linen bomber* + linen sweatpants or shorts + cotton or linen tee + espadrilles or sneaks +ball cap. 👨🏽

*must always wear a jacket bro

Jintor

There a total beginner's guide to not looking like a piece of shit somewhere here? Op starts out from like journeyman level I think...

There a total beginner's guide to not looking like a piece of shit somewhere here? Op starts out from like journeyman level I think...
reddit mfa I guess? the big thing is just learning how clothing should fit, and why that makes a huge difference, I suppose. that's the biggest sin I see around, dudes wearing traditionally cut stuff that isn't fitting them well.

Quick

Banned
reddit mfa I guess? the big thing is just learning how clothing should fit, and why that makes a huge difference, I suppose. that's the biggest sin I see around, dudes wearing traditionally cut stuff that isn't fitting them well.

I really like the inspirational albums and WAYWT threads on MFA. Gives me ideas on how to change things up.

I second well-fitting outfits. Makes basics go a long way.

Top Bottom