• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

this idea has been perpetuated by the internet for far too long, it's simply not true. not washing your jeans for even 2 months of wear 5-7 days a week will make your jeans fall apart faster but that's the whole idea i guess. denimheads subscribe to 'sick fadez' and adding 'character' to their jeans and not washing them for extended periods of time wears the jeans out faster to give those effects. if you're not giving them a nice soak/wash often then they're for sure going to wear out quicker. washing gets rid of all the oils/starch/grime that causes the cotton to become weaker and rip apart.

Interesting...thanks for the input.

For me, I probably wear 3-4 different pairs a week, so regular wear-and-tear isn't as much of a concern for me, but I'll keep this in mind for my more daily wears.

I wipe down my leather boots every week or when dirty, use a shoe tree, and condition with coconut oil every ~7-10 wears.

Interesting, never heard this before, I'll have to give it a shot. I am pretty bad about routine (weekly/biweekly) care.

I must admit, I have subscribed to the opinion that the less you wash your jeans the better, that's pretty standard practice for any garment. The process of washing inadvertently eats away at the fabric, it's just physics and unavoidable.

Having said that, I got some nice Diesel jeans a few months back (they cost me £30) and I've washed them a handful of times since and they still look great. Maybe if your jeans deteriorate so badly in some warm water and a bit of detergent you just bought shit, overpriced jeans.

I'm sorry, people who wash regularly worn garments once or twice a year are just gross and place their precious "kid gloves" approach to clothing over basic hygiene and common decency.

Good points. Fuck it, in the (gentle) wash they go.

Lotto

Interesting...thanks for the input.

For me, I probably wear 3-4 different pairs a week, so regular wear-and-tear isn't as much of a concern for me, but I'll keep this in mind for my more daily wears.

i was pretty much the same way when i delved into raw denim, i always thought that i shouldn't wash them for 3 months+ after reading so many denim threads. after years of wearing them, i found that for the most part the longer you wait to wash, the more likely it is for them to fall apart (crotch blowouts/rips/fading.) if you really like the way the jeans are in their current state, washing every two months or even monthly (depending on how much you wear them) would be a way to keep them that way longer. if you do like fades/rips then wear them as long as you can before washing/soaking. i usually just do an hour soak in cold water with a single load of woolite dark and a bit of agitation, seems to do the trick.

i was pretty much the same way when i delved into raw denim, i always thought that i shouldn't wash them for 3 months+ after reading so many denim threads. after years of wearing them, i found that for the most part the longer you wait to wash, the more likely it is for them to fall apart (crotch blowouts/rips/fading.) if you really like the way the jeans are in their current state, washing every two months or even monthly (depending on how much you wear them) would be a way to keep them that way longer. if you do like fades/rips then wear them as long as you can before washing/soaking. i usually just do an hour soak in cold water with a single load of woolite dark and a bit of agitation, seems to do the trick.

Waiting 3+ months to wash is disgusting

zxnARY7.jpg

Dad uniform to beat the heat 👏🏻🙌🏻

giga

outside of cos, best places to get good quality band collar shirts? i know zara, but i'm looking for better quality. they need to be long enough to tuck in btw. non-iron treatment would be a plus too.

Forever-21-Mandarin-Collar-Shirt.jpg

Zaph

outside of cos and zara, anyone know best places to get band collar shirts? they need to be long enough to tuck in btw. non-iron treatment would be a plus too.

[IMG ]http://www.thefashionisto.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Forever-21-Mandarin-Collar-Shirt.jpg[/IMG]

I have a couple from Club Monaco, they're quite nice.

h3ro

outside of cos, best places to get good quality band collar shirts? i know zara, but i'm looking for better quality. they need to be long enough to tuck in btw. non-iron treatment would be a plus too.

Forever-21-Mandarin-Collar-Shirt.jpg

Bonobos also has some great stuff.

Quick

Banned
Anybody own a Beckel Canvas War Bag?

Going on a trip in a month, and I'm looking to have a durable and nice-looking carry-on. I'm thinking about this or the Herschel duffle bag with the shoe storage.

https://www.eastdane.com/luke-memor...1/1517564193.htm?folderID=31032&colorId=12560

Had a yolo moment, copped the last one. Plz don't fail me 👏🏻

When you said you wanted a "packable rain jacket", my first thought was a poncho. lol

Nice find.

Quick

Banned
I'm attending a wedding in a month with a strictly formal dress code.

Can I get away with navy chinos with a matching colour jacket with brown shoes?

Oxn

I need to buy a suit, and i want to go with a super slim style, (not slim, not skinny). Can you point me in the right direction?

Quick

Banned
I need to buy a suit, and i want to go with a super slim style, (not slim, not skinny). Can you point me in the right direction?

Suit Supply if you've got some money to spend.

Or buy someplace off the rack get it altered.

FStop7

Banned
I went by the Acne Studios flagship store in DTLA. Nice layout with a cafe integrated into the space. The associates were polite but they hovered a lot and the jeans were folded into tall, neat stacks within narrow cubby holes. To pull out a single pair or look through the stack for sizing would mess up the whole display. I really prefer it when boutiques hang their garments so you can get a feel for their appearance and texture before asking an associate about sizes.

I'm attending a wedding in a month with a strictly formal dress code.

Can I get away with navy chinos with a matching colour jacket with brown shoes?

Nope. You'll need a suit. Is the ceremony indoors or outdoors? How about the reception?

Quick

Banned
Don't have a suit? Formal means suit up.

I've got a suit.This wedding will be in a really hot place (Southeast Asia), and I was thinking of chinos to keep things a little bit more comfortable.

Nope. You'll need a suit. Is the ceremony indoors or outdoors? How about the reception?

Ceremony and reception are indoors.

Formal means jeans and a t-shirt but not a graphic tee.

okp66FD.gif

Zaph

I've got a suit.This wedding will be in a really hot place (Southeast Asia), and I was thinking of chinos to keep things a little bit more comfortable.

Sounds like a good excuse to treat yourself to a nice linen or breathable wool suit.

Quick

Banned
Thanks for the input, everyone. I'll probably bring both my dark grey napoli suit from Suit Supply and my navy suit from Banana Republic. Can't decide on which one to go with right now, but I have a month to decide.

Sounds like a good excuse to treat yourself to a nice linen or breathable wool suit.

I did think about getting a linen suit, but I really don't have a lot of money to spend on a suit. And I'm still hooked on Suit Supply, so I'd really want the best possible suit to buy within their price range.

Arent chinos usually thicker and warmer than dress pants?

I've been more comfortable with chinos this summer than dress pants, but this is Toronto weather I'm dealing with. Southeast Asia weather could be a different beast.

FStop7

Banned
Seems like a good rule of thumb is that joggers are acceptable wherever jeans are acceptable. And if something is "semi formal" that says to me that jeans are not acceptable.

Seems like a good rule of thumb is that joggers are acceptable wherever jeans are acceptable. And if something is "semi formal" that says to me that jeans are not acceptable.

many places won't accept people in joggers but will with jeans, I have no idea where this mindset that they were equal, unless stated otherwise, came from

semi-formal could mean jeans and button-down with boots

fep

Anyone have Wool&Prince stuff?

I got a light grey button down coming my way... I really want an Outlier Merino Pivot in the Iron Stone color, but it doesn't seem to exist at the moment. Hope my expectations for merino shirts aren't too high.

Oh I also joined the jogger game with a wool look-alike, these are great!

Top Bottom