• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

OK GAF. I'm going to a Men's Wearhouse on Saturday to get measured for a tux for a wedding that I'm standing up in. Since I'm getting measured, I thought I may as well pick up a new suit because I've gained weight since buying the only current suit I own. They seem to have a buy one, get one free deal going on most suits right now, too (but I feel like I'm always seeing commercials that they have a BOGO going on, so I don't know if it's actually a good time to buy or not).

Anyway, I detest wearing suits. I'm a big guy, and I'm always warm. Because of that, I only wear suits when I absolutely have to - basically job interviews and funerals. I don't need a fancy brand and I know I can't pull off any sort of slim fit, so I'm really only concerned with my color choices for maximum utility. I was thinking slate/dark gray, since that would appropriate for something somber like a funeral but would also be acceptable for a job interview. I'm trying to figure out what the second suit color should be. My current suit was navy blue with a subtle pinstripe, and I feel like it looked good for several occasions. I do have several other weddings coming up that I am not a member of the wedding party, but I'm not sure if a suit will be overkill for the style of wedding they are having.

TL;DR - I need cheap, regular fit suit color/pattern suggestions that can be found at Men's Wearhouse and are suitable for a wide range of events. Nothing flashy/edgy, just traditional suits.

Quick

Banned
How appropriate would it be to change outfits between wedding and reception?

I was thinking of wearing my suit for the wedding and my linen jacket and chinos for the reception. There's going to be some time in between, plus the reception is at the hotel where I'll be staying in for the evening.

Damerman

Hello fashion GAF... anyone know where i can get a good quality biker jacket that isn't too expensive? genuine leather would be preferable.

h3ro

OK GAF. I'm going to a Men's Wearhouse on Saturday to get measured for a tux for a wedding that I'm standing up in. Since I'm getting measured, I thought I may as well pick up a new suit because I've gained weight since buying the only current suit I own. They seem to have a buy one, get one free deal going on most suits right now, too (but I feel like I'm always seeing commercials that they have a BOGO going on, so I don't know if it's actually a good time to buy or not).

Anyway, I detest wearing suits. I'm a big guy, and I'm always warm. Because of that, I only wear suits when I absolutely have to - basically job interviews and funerals. I don't need a fancy brand and I know I can't pull off any sort of slim fit, so I'm really only concerned with my color choices for maximum utility. I was thinking slate/dark gray, since that would appropriate for something somber like a funeral but would also be acceptable for a job interview. I'm trying to figure out what the second suit color should be. My current suit was navy blue with a subtle pinstripe, and I feel like it looked good for several occasions. I do have several other weddings coming up that I am not a member of the wedding party, but I'm not sure if a suit will be overkill for the style of wedding they are having.

TL;DR - I need cheap, regular fit suit color/pattern suggestions that can be found at Men's Wearhouse and are suitable for a wide range of events. Nothing flashy/edgy, just traditional suits.

Can't ever go wrong with solid navy. As for fit, being bigger doesn't mean your suit needs to be baggy! Get something that fits you properly. Also, if you get warm, look for a suit with minimal lining/ half lining! Lining is the usually shiny cloth on the inside of the jacket. It traps heat and makes the jacket less breathable.

How appropriate would it be to change outfits between wedding and reception?

I was thinking of wearing my suit for the wedding and my linen jacket and chinos for the reception. There's going to be some time in between, plus the reception is at the hotel where I'll be staying in for the evening.

Of course, why wouldn't it be appropriate? Especially if it's your wedding. Keep it clean and well fitted and you'll be fine.

Hopefully someone in hear can help me. Looking for mandarin collared denim shirts.

Similar to this:

Bombers4427.jpg

Bombers4516.jpg

Have been looking around but can't really find much.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Help

I noticed today that almost all my sweaters and some tshirts have little bumps in the shoulders resulting from being hanged. The hangers are the culprits and I was wondering if anyone had this issue and how did you deal with it? I need to hang my clothes in a way that doesn't deform them:/

Was thinking of maybe getting some clipping hangers but I don't want to end up with clipping marks either.

Zaph

Don't hang them, especially if they're knit.

You can get felt hangers that do a good job of distributing the weight by gripping the top. Works well for t-shirts, but I'd definitely fold the sweaters.

FStop7

Banned
I grabbed a couple of things from the Stone Island and Stampd stores in LA. I liked the way that Stone Island balances their looks between performance outdoor clothing and flashy streetwear. You can buy a nice clean Henley or a shimmering metallic purple puffer jacket off of the same rack. I just bought graphic t-shirt but they packed it very carefully in a really nice bag and included a big catalog and a lookbook that were both printed on really high quality paper. Extra touches like that count for a lot with me.

Stampd is pretty conventional streetwear - long tees, sleeveless hoodies, windbreakers, distressed jeans, etc. But the fitment and quality really stood out. The staff was super cool and helpful, which also goes a long way.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I like Stamped, they don't brand their stuff.

I only have one item from them, one the nicest pair of low tops ever made which was a collab woth Vans. They're woven black leather with black speckled white soles. I wish I would have bought a second pair for when these get worn out, but they're still great, didn't over wear them, and they are really comfortable.

Quick

Banned
Of course, why wouldn't it be appropriate? Especially if it's your wedding. Keep it clean and well fitted and you'll be fine.

Not my wedding. lol

I might actually spring for a linen suit. Looking at Suit Supply's selection, and the navy suits look real good.

h3ro

Not my wedding. lol

I might actually spring for a linen suit. Looking at Suit Supply's selection, and the navy suits look real good.

Go for a blend instead of pure linen, it'll hold up better. Trust me. Also look for the ones that aren't fully lined so you don't become a sweat monster once you hit the dance floor.

Quick

Banned
Go for a blend instead of pure linen, it'll hold up better. Trust me. Also look for the ones that aren't fully lined so you don't become a sweat monster once you hit the dance floor.

Are you referring to linen/wool blend?

If so, that's a good point actually. I know that linen also creases easily.

giga

Are you referring to linen/wool blend?

If so, that's a good point actually. I know that linen also creases easily.
Linen/cotton or linen/silk works too.

Speaking of, the suit supply guys at Lenox know me so well now that I bought a linen/cotton jacket that one of them bought off the outlet but didn't fit him. Sold it to me for just one Benjamin. 🙏

Quick

Banned
Linen/cotton or linen/silk works too.

Speaking of, the suit supply guys at Lenox know me so well now that I bought a linen/cotton jacket that one of them bought off the outlet but didn't fit him. Sold it to me for just one Benjamin. ��

I'm trying to stick to blue, since I like the different shade of it. I'm also trying to stick to the $529 price range. I don't really want to spend a ton of money.

Found the wool/silk/linen Lazio Blue Check for $529 CAD on Suit Supply's website. Looks promising, not sold on the pattern though.

Here's a linen/wool Lazio Blue Check in a lighter colour for $529 CAD as well. I like the pattern on this one better, and how vibrant it is.

There's also the various Lazio Blue Plain suits in linen or linen/wool that look pretty good.

Linen mohair ����

The price tho. $$$

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Can someone explain the Helmut Lang 100% cashmere shorts I saw today... Wouldn't that be very warm, defeating the purpose of wearing shorts

giga

I'm trying to stick to blue, since I like the different shade of it. I'm also trying to stick to the $529 price range. I don't really want to spend a ton of money.

Found the wool/silk/linen Lazio Blue Check for $529 CAD on Suit Supply's website. Looks promising, not sold on the pattern though.

Here's a linen/wool Lazio Blue Check in a lighter colour for $529 CAD as well. I like the pattern on this one better, and how vibrant it is.

There's also the various Lazio Blue Plain suits in linen or linen/wool that look pretty good.

The price tho. $$$
Are you set on patterns? Lazio is a good cut but the plain blue stuff should also have Washington and Havana, which are my favorites. Which is funny because they're both very different, with the Washington being having structured shoulders and a strong peak lapel, while the Havana is mostly unlined with a soft shoulder.

Quick

Banned
Are you set on patterns? Lazio is a good cut but the plain blue stuff should also have Washington and Havana, which are my favorites. Which is funny because they're both very different, with the Washington being having structured shoulders and a strong peak lapel, while the Havana is mostly unlined with a soft shoulder.

Nope, not set on patterns. I just happened to see both of those to be close to what I'm looking for.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Hard trying to find a place where I can try out some Gloverall duffle coats :/
Hopefully I'll find a place that sells them with free returns online if I can't find some place stocking them out in the wilds.

fep

Any recommendations on a crossbody bag for men?

Don't want something too large... big enough to hold a phone, wallet, sunglasses, and a small-med notebook. Maybe an iPad at the largest, but that's not a necessity.

Any recommendations on a crossbody bag for men?

Don't want something too large... big enough to hold a phone, wallet, sunglasses, and a small-med notebook. Maybe an iPad at the largest, but that's not a necessity.

Something like this?...

Field-muzetto-lifestyle2_grande.jpg

Field-muzetto-lifestyle_grande.jpg

Leather-Muzetto-Lifestyle2_grande.jpg

large_interior_1_grande.jpg

They come in three different sizes.

https://www.sfbags.com/

The quality is awesome, genuine leather, great attention to details. Very well made products.

Nearly perfect, except smaller. Seeing those pictures, I think I'll have to drop the iPad to get the size I want.

Thanks for the rec!

Even the small size is too big for your needs?

-Small: 10.5 x 9 x 1.5 inches
-Medium: 13.5 x 10 x 2.25 inches
-Large: 15 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches

Regards.

fep

Even the small size is too big for your needs?

-Small: 10.5 x 9 x 1.5 inches
-Medium: 13.5 x 10 x 2.25 inches
-Large: 15 x 11.5 x 2.5 inches

Regards.

I went to the site and looked at their products, but I didn't realize this bag came in these sizes. That small might be perfect.

Top Bottom