• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

fep

So these just came in today.

What a waste for me. Pants are too tight and I have no idea if they are suppose to be some sort of capris but they are stupid short. Gonna thrown them up on ebay.

Oh lame, is it the style or maybe hemmed or a really bad second?

Mine come Tuesday, hoping for something I can use or at least resell to get my money back.

What do you think, and what color/style jeans would go well?

As we discussed in the last page, if you're a skinny dude, go for a Slim Fit jeans. Skinny jeans COULD work for you too, but consider it's a very "juvenile" look, IMO. Regarding colors, when I used to wear jeans, dark indigo and black were my picks.

Regards.

baphomet

I picked up some of these the other day. I absolutely love them so far. Look great with some skinny jeans.

Common Projects Chelsea Boot in Sand
16-04-2016_commonprojects_chelseaboot_khakisuede_jm_1.jpg

Also just randomly decided to buy these this morning from Kith. They released today and it looks like they're already sold out everywhere, and I was kind of looking for some earth toned shoes for winter so it works out.

Vans Vault x Wtaps
16082105_2.jpg

Now that it's finally cooling down a bit in Denver I decided to grab a new lighter coat as well. I really like the way this one looked so I found one online for a fairly decent price.

Engineered Garments Type 51 Fishtail Parka
tumblr_inline_nmif7slsW31qe44yl_500.jpg

Also no picture needed, but Bred 1s are the best looking casual winter shoes.

fep

Heh. I don't know what they are suppose to be. You tell me.

HA, I choked.

I thought those might be the de Campos - http://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/6030-de-campos.html,
because of that thing at the bottom, but they are supposed to be baggy so I have no idea. I'm new to Outlier, but I know they do 'experimental' stuff too.

Maybe once you pass a certain # of squats in a lifetime you just can't wear Outlier pants. From my personal experience I have a lot of issues with pants (in general) around the thigh. I have to size up in the waist to get a fit at the thigh, but then the waist or the butt is usually too large. You're years ahead of me in lifetime squats so I can only imagine how you shop for pants lol.

Outlier seems to be true to size too so if you're a 32 and ordered a 32, you should have ordered a 34. Add in that they are seconds and sizing is a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BowieZ

Banned
As we discussed in the last page, if you're a skinny dude, go for a Slim Fit jeans. Skinny jeans COULD work for you too, but consider it's a very "juvenile" look, IMO. Regarding colors, when I used to wear jeans, dark indigo and black were my picks.

Regards.
Cheers. Well, color was my main question -- like what's the recommended color to pair with a more tan brown boot etc, and does one shove the jean behind the tongue of the shoe or fold it up or whatnot.

Maybe once you pass a certain # of squats in a lifetime you just can't wear Outlier pants.

That's kinda true, most Outlier pants tend to be slim fit.

They used to have some pants that were aimed to squatter guys, but it seems they weren't that popular cause they were discontinued long time ago. I bought a pair just for reasons, but at the end never wear them (I'm a skinny guy). So they are somewhere in my house, brand new, collecting dust -_-

This is the best picture that I was able to find, there you can see clearly they are noticeable roomier in the thighs...

MTM3MTgyNjQ1Mzk1NDAwNDU0.jpg

If you've read my post in this thread, Outlier is by far my fav. brand. Their pants are just pure perfection from the cut, fabric, details, minimalist designs, etc. but I still think they are expensive items, so no matter how great the deal look, I would never buy those WTF packs where you don't have a single clue what you'll get (I mean... as I understand they are sold as is).

By the way, FallingEdge, if you like the style (they are dressier) you should try the OG Classics...

203-Outlier-OGClassics-charcoal.jpg

or the Injected Linen pants (they are even more baggier)...

103-Outlier-InjectedLinenPants-vertical.jpg

You can take a look at the exact measurements in their site and if you have doubt, get in contact with them. They respond super fast (in a couple of hours).

Regards.

Cheers. Well, color was my main question -- like what's the recommended color to pair with a more tan brown boot etc, and does one shove the jean behind the tongue of the shoe or fold it up or whatnot.

Eh, I'm colorblind :p so I tend to go with the safest colors. Anyways, there are plenty of sites where you can read about color matching, just google for it :)

Regarding to the bolded part, since you're young, at the end is just a matter of preference:

many-men-jeans.jpg

From that picture (don't pay attention to the shoes), from left to right, I'd go with 4 & 5 (again, forget about the ugly shoes in 5 lol). In 1, the pants are almost 2 inches too long, pic 2 is not my cup of tea, pic 3 is a too juvenile look for me.

I don't like rolled up jeans either, but they don't look bad at all, again is just preference:

D8YCBvO.jpg

I like when a pair of pants look like this...

017-OUTLIER-SlimDungarees-smooth.jpg

016-OUTLIER-SlimDungarees-stickit.jpg

001-outlier-slimdungarees-pyramidzz.jpg

Not too short, not too long either, and covering the upper part of the shoe.

Regards.

frontovik

Banned
With regards to high end fashion ...

How hard is it to find suits that are "Made in Germany" or "Made in England"? I'm sure the average prices must be astronomical.. I assume that getting a tailor in either one of those countries to make a custom suit would be even more expensive?

fep

I'm sure it is the link that was posted earlier by fep.

I just have meaty legs. 6'2 as well.

Hey, I think you got Ultralight Crops actually... my WTF packs just came in today and I had two.

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/ultralight-crops.html

My best pack was a Freeshell, M, in Black. Latest version and no visible defects. I think I'll toss it up for sale though... I really want a Merino/Co Pivot in Iron Stone. Someone on reddit got one, put it up for sale, and it was gone within a few hours (before I got to it, obviously).

Got one shirt I can't figure out, 100% cotton, made in NYC, hidden button down collar, no pocket. I'd say white, but it's more like a silver. Not a Two Ply or a Blazed cotton... really no idea.

Where can I get a pair of those tapered black pants/jeans? I bought a pair from Urban Outfiters a year ago but they're worn af. They were my favorite pair of pants cause they were so comfortable. Weren't super tight like my denim jeans

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Quick

Banned
Went to Uniqlo yesterday and splurged a little since it isn't open in Canada yet. Any must-buys that I've missed?

What I have so far:

V-neck and crewneck shirts.
Easy pants and a lounge wear pack (pants and a waffle henley).
A pair of chinos.
A pair of smart dress pants (slim fit flexible lounge pants disguised as dress pants).

Prices aren't too bad after converting to CAD, I'm assuming my conversion will be close enough to the Canadian prices when the Eaton Centre location opens in two weeks.

I'm looking closely at their heat tech stuff and a pair of selvedge jeans maybe. The other set of items I wanted to pick up are a pair of the active/dry joggers and hoodie.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Where can I get a pair of those tapered black pants/jeans? I bought a pair from Urban Outfiters a year ago but they're worn af. They were my favorite pair of pants cause they were so comfortable. Weren't super tight like my denim jeans

Acne Ace Stay Cash is pretty good black tapered jeans, my favourite jeans at least.

Zekes!

I picked up some of these the other day. I absolutely love them so far. Look great with some skinny jeans.

Also just randomly decided to buy these this morning from Kith. They released today and it looks like they're already sold out everywhere, and I was kind of looking for some earth toned shoes for winter so it works out.

Vans Vault x Wtaps
16082105_2.jpg

Now that it's finally cooling down a bit in Denver I decided to grab a new lighter coat as well. I really like the way this one looked so I found one online for a fairly decent price.

yo those are good pick-ups. The Chelsea boots are the only Common Projects I've ever really wanted. I thought about grabbing them last year, but they'll be outta my budget until I'm done school.

I also almost tried on that Engineered Garment parka yesterday. Ended up picking up an insulated Norse Project shirt jacket:

Prez

Could someone help me identify European brands that are high quality, long lasting and socially responsible (made in good working conditions) for:

Dress shoes: Van Bommel isn't too expensive in the 200-300€ range but I've heard they're not the most durable. Not sure if they're socially responsible too. Other options are Church and Santoni but my choices are very limited there since they don't seem to make a lot in size 46.

Casual shoes: Veja has a good reputation I've heard, anything else? (<150&#8364;)

Jeans: Nudie Jeans is supposedly the best in this regard. Any others? Budget is 100-150 for a pair and they should last very long.

Blazers: No idea where to look here. Looking for something in the 200-250&#8364; range that I can wear 5 days a week and will still look good after a couple years of use. I just work a retail job so I don't want to spend more.

Belts: this one is a real challenge since some belt buckles give me a rash (nickel allergy most likely). Most brands don't mention the presence of nickel so I've had to throw out a couple belts before. I'm looking for something very durable for <100&#8364; but at this price I have to be 100% sure there's no nickel.

Zekes!

Could someone help me identify European brands that are high quality, long lasting and socially responsible (made in good working conditions) for:

Dress shoes: Van Bommel isn't too expensive in the 200-300&#8364; range but I've heard they're not the most durable. Not sure if they're socially responsible too. Other options are Church and Santoni but my choices are very limited there since they don't seem to make a lot in size 46.

Casual shoes: Veja has a good reputation I've heard, anything else? (<150&#8364;)

Jeans: Nudie Jeans is supposedly the best in this regard. Any others? Budget is 100-150 for a pair and they should last very long.

Blazers: No idea where to look here. Looking for something in the 200-250&#8364; range that I can wear 5 days a week and will still look good after a couple years of use. I just work a retail job so I don't want to spend more.

Belts: this one is a real challenge since some belt buckles give me a rash (nickel allergy most likely). Most brands don't mention the presence of nickel so I've had to throw out a couple belts before. I'm looking for something very durable for <100&#8364; but at this price I have to be 100% sure there's no nickel.

I ain't gonna be much help, but I often hear of Nudies suffering from crotch blow outs. I work(ed) in a clothing store that sells them for several years and heard that on a regular basis. I ain't ever wear Nudies myself though, could just be gross ass people refusing to wash the raw denim

Some new Reigning Champ stuff. Nothing flashy but their stuff's so well made.

https://shop.reigningchamp.com/collections/sea-to-sky/season-fall-winter-2016

Yo that parka is clean

I turned my mom onto Reigning Champ. Gave her an old hoodie and now she wants another

Quick

Banned
Anybody ever buy anything from Cotton On?

I don't think I've ever heard of it until I got here in Asia. But, turns out there's a number of stores in the US. Closest stores to me are the ones in Buffalo.

The stores here are selling basic shirts at about $22 CAD for two. They also sell v-neck henleys, which I've been sort of looking for.

I also discovered that Australian sizing is a thing. I asked an employee what kind of sizing they use, expecting Asian or US sizing as a response, then I get the curveball of Australian sizing.

lenovox1

Anybody ever buy anything from Cotton On?

I don't think I've ever heard of it until I got here in Asia. But, turns out there's a number of stores in the US. Closest stores to me are the ones in Buffalo.

The stores here are selling basic shirts at about $22 CAD for two. They also sell v-neck henleys, which I've been sort of looking for.

I also discovered that Australian sizing is a thing. I asked an employee what kind of sizing they use, expecting Asian or US sizing as a response, then I get the curveball of Australian sizing.

I've got two tops from the Aussie H&M. For men, sizes run S/M/L/XL/XXL for men, thank goodness, and tend to be true to size. Because they are the Aussie H&M, though, sizes will vary between garments.

Quick

Banned
I've got two tops from the Aussie H&M. For men, sizes run S/M/L/XL/XXL for men, thank goodness, and tend to be true to size. Because they are the Aussie H&M, though, sizes will vary between garments.

I looked up Australian sizing and it seems to hover more closely to US sizing compared to Japan/Asian sizes.

lol Aussie H&M seems accurate from what I've seen so far.

giga

Went to Uniqlo yesterday and splurged a little since it isn't open in Canada yet. Any must-buys that I've missed?

What I have so far:

V-neck and crewneck shirts.
Easy pants and a lounge wear pack (pants and a waffle henley).
A pair of chinos.
A pair of smart dress pants (slim fit flexible lounge pants disguised as dress pants).

Prices aren't too bad after converting to CAD, I'm assuming my conversion will be close enough to the Canadian prices when the Eaton Centre location opens in two weeks.

I'm looking closely at their heat tech stuff and a pair of selvedge jeans maybe. The other set of items I wanted to pick up are a pair of the active/dry joggers and hoodie.

Yeah, get airism and heattech stuff next time. Great for their respective seasons.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Just cause I didn't post any images when I linked to Aimé Leon Dore. The green hoodies all went out of stock right after being up :(

entremet

Vans Vault x Wtaps
16082105_2.jpg

Those Chelsea's look sexy, but damn they are pricey.

Prez

I ain't gonna be much help, but I often hear of Nudies suffering from crotch blow outs. I work(ed) in a clothing store that sells them for several years and heard that on a regular basis. I ain't ever wear Nudies myself though, could just be gross ass people refusing to wash the raw denim

Thanks for the info, I'll take the risk though since it's the only jeans brand that's socially responsible.

Judging from the lack of answers no one here has an idea which brands are good quality and manufactured in good working conditions?

I've never had Chelsea boots. How much does the elastic band at the ankle -or whatever is called- last? Do you need to replace it at some point or not?

Thanks for the info, I'll take the risk though since it's the only jeans brand that's socially responsible.

Judging from the lack of answers no one here has an idea which brands are good quality and manufactured in good working conditions?

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Raleigh Denim Workshop jeans are made in downtown Raleigh, NC in good conditions. You can even visit their small factory and get a tour. And most of the denim is sourced from Cone Mills which also operates out of NC.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Never have I hated customs/duties/taxes as much as I have since I started caring about fashion.

$300 second hand parka easily becomes $400+, fun.

lenovox1

If you're willing to spend a bit more, Raleigh Denim Workshop jeans are made in downtown Raleigh, NC in good conditions. You can even visit their small factory and get a tour. And most of the denim is sourced from Cone Mills which also operates out of NC.

He wanted European. There's lots of American denim and American made denim.

Zekes!

Yeah the only other European brand I know of that would fit the bill is Denham, but I honestly don't know that much about 'em.

There's of course a bunch of different international denim brands that fit that mold, but if you're wanting European, then yeah Nudie is your bet and I would also look more into Denham.

edit: that's strictly for jeans

Zaph

Uniqlo's denim is shockingly good for the price too.

Won't give you the same cut as a Nudie or something, but still damn good.

Prez

He wanted European. There's lots of American denim and American made denim.

Yeah the only other European brand I know of that would fit the bill is Denham, but I honestly don't know that much about 'em.

There's of course a bunch of different international denim brands that fit that mold, but if you're wanting European, then yeah Nudie is your bet and I would also look more into Denham.

edit: that's strictly for jeans

It doesn't need to be European, as long as it's sold in stores in Europe.

I'm also looking for a nice blazer, what's the best quality I could get for 200-300€ and easily get tailored?

Antagon

In the Netherlands you also have Kuyichi. From what I know quality is decent but not necessarily top notch.

Otherwise you can always look at some of the higher end Japanese brands with jeans that use American cotton. Those brand generally make their jeans in Japan and if the cotton is grown in the US, that's not a problem either. They tend to be expensive, but if you order them from Japan, you can sometimes get some good deals. Denimio is a good store for this, with clear measurements.

I'd expect Japan Blue to be a nice step up quality wise from Nudie. It's the budget line from Momotaro which is very well regarded.

Here's an example: https://www.denimio.com/japan-blue-jb04-s01-148-oz-us-cotton-selvedge-tapered-jeans.html

They say that they're light weight, but 14.8 oz is quite a bit heavier then your regular pair of jeans. They've also got 10 oz jeans, but those are really thin and probably won't last too long.
If you're Dutch, you can buy Japan Blue at Tenue de Nimes as well (in Amsterdam), but expect to pay around 200 Euros there.

Prez

In the Netherlands you also have Kuyichi. From what I know quality is decent but not necessarily top notch.

Otherwise you can always look at some of the higher end Japanese brands with jeans that use American cotton. Those brand generally make their jeans in Japan and if the cotton is grown in the US, that's not a problem either. They tend to be expensive, but if you order them from Japan, you can sometimes get some good deals. Denimio is a good store for this, with clear measurements.

I'd expect Japan Blue to be a nice step up quality wise from Nudie. It's the budget line from Momotaro which is very well regarded.

Here's an example: https://www.denimio.com/japan-blue-jb04-s01-148-oz-us-cotton-selvedge-tapered-jeans.html

They say that they're light weight, but 14.8 oz is quite a bit heavier then your regular pair of jeans. They've also got 10 oz jeans, but those are really thin and probably won't last too long.
If you're Dutch, you can buy Japan Blue at Tenue de Nimes as well (in Amsterdam), but expect to pay around 200 Euros there.

I'm in Belgium so I could always take a trip to the Netherlands.

As for shoes, I'm considering this pair of Van Bommels. These should go really well with dark jeans?

Top Bottom