• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Anth0ny

So is Mac gone forever? The "So what's the most you've paid for a jacket?" thread is going to waste without him.

lol that thread

From reading it, between my two leather jackets and Canada Goose I may have spent more on three jackets than all of the rest of GAF combined.

lol that thread

From reading it, between my two leather jackets and Canada Goose I may have spent more on three jackets than all of the rest of GAF combined.

When I become a mod I will personally ban everyone in that thread who posted a number smaller than $1000.

0706346800_2_2_1.jpg

Can anyone comment on the quality of the faux leather jackets from zara?

Not bad for that price, but I only bought it to see if this kind of jacket fits me before spending 400€ on a real leather one. I know it will fall apart after a couple month. Feels pretty cheap, I don't know if it will survive one of our winters in Paris!

anyone here have a pair of Alden Indys? Thinking about picking up some 404s. I fit Iron Rangers in 8D, was wondering if anyone could advise regarding Indy sizes. If anything I'll go up to Unionmade in SF to try them first but yeah.

giga

anyone here have a pair of Alden Indys? Thinking about picking up some 404s. I fit Iron Rangers in 8D, was wondering if anyone could advise regarding Indy sizes. If anything I'll go up to Unionmade in SF to try them first but yeah.

used to. half size down from your brannock.

Quick

Banned
Length is pretty consistent but width sometimes varies based on shoe type and materials. That's my experience.

Uniqlo finally opened up here, worth buying?

I was asking the same question last week or so when I was in Asia. I raided the Uniqlos in my area lol.

Heat tech and airism were recommended to me by giga, I think. And those seem to be commonly recommended. I didn't pick it up, but I will when I end up at the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale (opens October 20) next time.

I have a pair of Uniqlo dry stretch joggers with zipper pockets. Really comfortable and length is perfect on me, not sure if this is influenced by region but I'm average height in Canada (I think). There's matching jackets, but I didn't pick one up. Might do so on my next visit at either store.

The oxfords were also recommended to me by someone (not here), it's pretty nice. I bought two. Also fits perfectly.

Basic shirts are nice, though it feels thin and sweat was easily showing on my back. I wore it in 35+C weather with crazy humidity, so I was sweating a lot anyway.

I was going to pick up a pair of their selvage jeans, but I decided to pick it up here instead.

Uniqlo finally opened up here, worth buying?

Uniqlo is lower end in terms of cost but usually moderately "the style of the season" without breaking the bank here in Asia. Can't say for the rest of the world. Have not had any of their clothes fall apart or have loose strings, fade ect. yet though so thats something to think about. Uniqlo is the go to for when me and friends are traveling but need and extra -insert w/e- for going out and what not.

Anyway, what's the upcoming trends for fall in you guy's parts of the world. Want to get an idea of the outfit I want to buy this month. Fashion will be a bit different here in Japan, especially the south where I'm at but would like to get some ideas to mull over since fall officially "started" here...despite the heatwave. Colors, shirt types, fits, ect.

RS4-

I was asking the same question last week or so when I was in Asia. I raided the Uniqlos in my area lol.

Heat tech and airism were recommended to me by giga, I think. And those seem to be commonly recommended. I didn't pick it up, but I will when I end up at the Eaton Centre or Yorkdale (opens October 20) next time.

I have a pair of Uniqlo dry stretch joggers with zipper pockets. Really comfortable and length is perfect on me, not sure if this is influenced by region but I'm average height in Canada (I think). There's matching jackets, but I didn't pick one up. Might do so on my next visit at either store.

The oxfords were also recommended to me by someone (not here), it's pretty nice. I bought two. Also fits perfectly.

Basic shirts are nice, though it feels thin and sweat was easily showing on my back. I wore it in 35+C weather with crazy humidity, so I was sweating a lot anyway.

I was going to pick up a pair of their selvage jeans, but I decided to pick it up here instead.

Uniqlo is lower end in terms of cost but usually moderately "the style of the season" without breaking the bank here in Asia. Can't say for the rest of the world. Have not had any of their clothes fall apart or have loose strings, fade ect. yet though so thats something to think about. Uniqlo is the go to for when me and friends are traveling but need and extra -insert w/e- for going out and what not.

Anyway, what's the upcoming trends for fall in you guy's parts of the world. Want to get an idea of the outfit I want to buy this month. Fashion will be a bit different here in Japan, especially the south where I'm at but would like to get some ideas to mull over since fall officially "started" here...despite the heatwave. Colors, shirt types, fits, ect.

Thanks, I was thinking about dropping by the Eaton Centre one later, might still do that. Hopefully the prices are lined up with the Japanese one, or better lol. But what do I know, I'm gonna end up seeing some nonsense Club Monaco bullshit like $50 white crewneck shirts.

I'm doing my best to find slightly off normal colors of neutrals, not sure if that's the trend or not. Grey- and cream-whites, blue-greys, etc. I'd kill for more stuff that's like red/rose sandstone, like if I could find a jacket that kind of color I'd be really happy

X-Frame

Apologies if this has been asked here already, but can anyone identify the Jacket here? This is exactly the style I've been looking for.

Captain America in the Civil War movie. Thanks!

civil-wars-chris-evans-steve-rogers-leather-jacket-800x800.jpg

Quick

Banned
Length is pretty consistent but width sometimes varies based on shoe type and materials. That's my experience.

I quoted this and forgot to type out a reply lol.

I figured width is where it's going to be a little different.

I picked up a pair of Kaishis recently. Would it be safe to buy a pair of Nike Blazer Mids at the same size as the Kaishis? I can't try them on since I've only seen it available online at Nike's website.

SourBear

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked here already, but can anyone identify the Jacket here? This is exactly the style I've been looking for.

Captain America in the Civil War movie. Thanks!

[timg]https://desertleather.com/image/cache/data/jackets/civil-war-steve-rogers-jacket/civil-wars-chris-evans-steve-rogers-leather-jacket-800x800.jpg[/timg]

I'm pretty certain its a Matchless Leather Jacket.
http://www.matchlesslondon.com/en/captain-jacket-celebration.html

Anth0ny

I'm not sure about the Civil War one specifically, but Cap was also wearing a sick leather jacket in Winter Soldier that I wanted. I looked into it... and it was a one of a kind jacket made for him. Wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case for that Civil War jacket :/

I'm sure you can find similar ones, though.

X-Frame

It looks like a variation of a biker jacket. I don't know where to find the exact one, but in this link you can find some similar to it...

http://www.soulrevolver.com/leather-motorcycle-jackets/mens

Thank you! Those look real nice, I'm looking for the same brown color (not shiny) as the picture.

Wow that does look very very similar. It even says in the description that they created it for him (like Anthony says below). I don't know anything about Matchless, are they good for leather jackets?

I'm not sure about the Civil War one specifically, but Cap was also wearing a sick leather jacket in Winter Soldier that I wanted. I looked into it... and it was a one of a kind jacket made for him. Wouldn't be surprised if this was also the case for that Civil War jacket :/

I'm sure you can find similar ones, though.

Thanks! Yeah it does seem so which is why I was having trouble finding this out myself, but if true then possibly the Matchless one posted above is the most similar.

giga

Did some traveling lately, which reinforced my need to go mostly tech or merino fabrics. All my airism and merino stuff held up well, with little to no odor and quick drying, while the cotton tees and shirts I brought started to smell after just a day or two.

So looking at merino tees to start, anyone have any of these?

- outlier runweight merino (50/50 merino/polyster, 150gsm) - $75
- TAD traverse tee (100% merino, 150gsm) - $70
- wool & prince phantom tee (78/22 merino/nylon, 160gsm) - $68

I know outlier has an ultrafine merino that's even thicker and 100% merino (200gsm), but I'm looking for something lightweight to start. The wool and prince one is intriguing in how they weave the blend. The core is merino and strengthened with nylon fibers. Normally I'd scoff at wool blends but it supposedly helps with durability.

W_P-Yarn-Sketches-04_7da29a64-0107-4337-a565-27a6ec337c0d_1024x1024.jpg

From Outlier I have: the Runweight, the Ultrafine Merino and the Cottonweight Merino.

The Runweight is indeed the thinnest, so if that's what you looking for, go for it. The Cottonweight is the thicker one cause at the end it consists of two layers "glued" together, it has a more retro cut too.

The Ultrafine is probably the best bet if you want to wear it during all year. I'm afraid the Runweight is too thin for the colder days.

I haven't tried the other products you posted, but I guess as long as they are merino, the brand is kinda irrelevant, except if you're looking for a specific cut.

Bruhs, so I've always had fairly big thighs from playing soccer and rowing and could never really find jeans that fit. I was always lazy (and cheap) and went with the typical Target relaxed fit wranglers, but I was asked why I always wear baggy jeans and realized they really did look overly baggy. I researched and bought some Levi 541s...

200_s.gif

What have I been doing all these years? They fit sooo well. I can actually get my proper waist size without having to get relaxed! Well worth the price, which is actually pretty reasonable

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Bruhs, so I've always had fairly big thighs from playing soccer and rowing and could never really find jeans that fit. I was always lazy (and cheap) and went with the typical Target relaxed fit wranglers, but I was asked why I always wear baggy jeans and realized they really did look overly baggy. I researched and bought some Levi 541s...

200_s.gif

What have I been doing all these years? They fit sooo well. I can actually get my proper waist size without having to get relaxed! Well worth the price, which is actually pretty reasonable

If you ever want to splurge a bit more, there are a few other good options for your body. The Nudie brute knut has an extreme taper and 1% elastane, so you can have a small leg opening with room for your thighs. Kato's pen model in 4 way stretch has polyeurethane and also is a good fit. Also the Raleigh Martin. All of these are a raw denim option with selvedge.

giga

From Outlier I have: the Runweight, the Ultrafine Merino and the Cottonweight Merino.

The Runweight is indeed the thinnest, so if that's what you looking for, go for it. The Cottonweight is the thicker one cause at the end it consists of two layers "glued" together, it has a more retro cut too.

The Ultrafine is probably the best bet if you want to wear it during all year. I'm afraid the Runweight is too thin for the colder days.

I haven't tried the other products you posted, but I guess as long as they are merino, the brand is kinda irrelevant, except if you're looking for a specific cut.
Knew you'd chime in. Which one pills more easily? Or which has been the most durable? Thanks for the info!

Knew you'd chime in. Which one pills more easily? Or which has been the most durable? Thanks for the info!

Good question but I'm not sure I can give you the answer you're looking for, cause... see, first I bought 4 Ultrafine and when I washed the first one (machine wash in the delicate mode) the damn pilling began to appear, but very subtle. So after that I began to hand wash them so they last me forever hahaha.

The Runweight and the Cottonweight has been receiving the best treatment from me :p (only hand wash) from the beginning and they remain looking pretty much perfect.

Regarding the durability... well, I don't play sports or do anything with them that can potentially cause damage to the fabrics, but the Runweight is very thin so it looks it could be easily damaged. The Cottonweight is like a regular good quality cotton t-shirt, and to me it should be the most durable.

By far, my favorite is the Ultrafine, it just feels awesome against the skin. It is light enough for me and looks elegant (the fabric looks a little bit shiny, in contrast with cotton which is most of the time, matte). For sure this is the t-shirt that I'll pick in the future.

acohrs

yaaaasss, it's now officially time to bust out my favorite fall jacket

Alexander Wang leather sleeve jacket, it's also really warm for those nights out

1746-T-by-Alexander-Wang-Men-s-Jean-Jacket-with-Leather-Sleeves-1.jpg

really like the leather sleeve jacket look. Used to have one from Blood Brother but started going to the gym and now it's way too small for me.

img59981775.jpg

Top Bottom