• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

marc jacobs has left lv, someone give me the juicy deets
probably fell off the wagon or wanted more money (#2 is the very likely cause). designer names ain't worth shit these days unless you're hedi slimane, and that's just comeback inflation.

hopefully kim jones stays on, his menswear is legit.

what do you dress like? if you want something casual american, the a-2 or band moto is pretty hard to beat imo. a little more rocker would be the band collar rider or the standard rider. I'd definitely focus on the leather-leather items, while the toj varsities and ma-1 look great, getting a good price on a well-fitting leather jacket is a lot more difficult.

oh who is kim jones, marc's no.2 or something?
dude he hired for the menswear a few years ago, his own line I think is dead now. made some good stuff. anyway, looks like mj wants to take his label public, so it seems to be on good-ish terms, but yeah, dude wants that paper.

dude he hired for the menswear a few years ago, his own line I think is dead now. made some good stuff. anyway, looks like mj wants to take his label public, so it seems to be on good-ish terms, but yeah, dude wants that paper.
ah i see! so lv didn't keep the "marc jacobs" name i take it then

Good looking out bro. Appreciate it.

Yea I've been looking for inspiration online and have seen a lot of that preppy style you mention, that's definitely not what I'm looking for.

My first thought was also grey. I wanna TRY a bow tie to see if I can pull it off. It's different and new for me so if it looks good, I'll rock it. If not, then it'll just be a straight up tie.

The morning is definitely more formal than the evening but they're both pretty formal. By the end of the evening however, everyone will be drunk and dancing and so it won't matter. A lot of people just take off their jackets.

So right now I'm looking at:

Morning:
Grey/Blue dress pants
Sweater
Dress shirt
Tie

Night:
Same grey/blue pants
Dress shirt
Bow Tie

OR

Night:
Same grey/bkue pants
Dress shirt
Tie

A Cardigan and a Tie for the night wedding might be nice too. I'll see. I'm gonna head to the mall tomorrow and see what I can find.
The only issue with grey dress pants is that, depending on the shade of grey, it can look off with certain brown shoes/belt. You'll probably be safe, but if you want to be really safe, go with blue. Blue will work with any shade of grey. Of course, go with whatever looks better. One pair might fit better than the other, go with that one.

Bow tie could be cool for the evening. You won't want to be wearing a sweater if you're going to be dancing though. That's why I suggested just going with a crisp dress shirt and rolling up your sleeves. You'll look good and it'll fit with the setting. Adding a bow tie to that ensemble could be a cool finishing touch. If you do absolutely feel the need to wear a sweater in the evening, wear a cardigan, that way you can easily take it off if you get too hot.

Sounds like you've got it covered. Most important things are how things fit of course. See what you find and let us know what you come up with.

Just got my Rodina :) Shipping took 2-3 weeks and it arrived in a very safe and nice package. The quality looks to be impeccable, you'll have to excuse the instapic.

There's also this pretty through review of the watch for those interested, highly recommend it.

ecaeaa502c3011e396f222000a9f4dd8_7.jpg
Beautiful watch. I've been thinking it's time I upgrade from my Nixon. I might have to look into that one.

overcast

So ASOS has 30% off sweaters.

Thinking about grabbing one of these:
image1xl.jpg

image1xl.jpg

Which do you guys think is better? They have a couple other good things, you guys should check them out.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Picked up a really nice Ben Sherman navy corduroy coat, a Zara denim anchor-embroidered shirt, and two Club Monaco chambray shirts (rose and a speckled blue) -- all in XS, yay. THRIFTING, BITCHES.

Zekes!

I think I'm going to order the black/black tomorrow

I decided on the black/sand tan as I have a black on black varsity already. Almost did get the black/black, though.

I'm nervous about the measurements though. I measured myself a bunch of times and various jackets I had and decided on the 46 body and sleeve length (I'm 5'9). I saw a picture of a dude my height with the size 48 measurements and it looked a touch too long.

obin_gam

Chance of rain today so I'm going with a hoodie, it's grey with wide red strips going across. Do I take my purple blazer or my green blazer with me?

h3ro

Alright guys, I turn 30 in a few weeks and my friends are putting together a small get together.

I was hoping you guys could give me some input. I've always been partial to a nice waistcoat over a suit. Feel too stuffy in one.

I really like the look of this double breasted piece from SuitSupply:

Having some difficulty tracking it down for order and the local SuitSupply doesn't seem to carry it.

I'd like to do something special while keeping my aesthetic in place, a nice wasitcoat/shirt/tie/pants combo. That picture above is similar to how I dress for parties/gatherings/nights out. (Just without the model looks and would probably go with loafers over the boots)

Would really love some suggestions on some similar looks/pieces that I could pick up!

I decided on the black/sand tan as I have a black on black varsity already. Almost did get the black/black, though.

I'm nervous about the measurements though. I measured myself a bunch of times and various jackets I had and decided on the 46 body and sleeve length (I'm 5'9). I saw a picture of a dude my height with the size 48 measurements and it looked a touch too long.
I already have a navy/black (from BDG, but still) or else I would have ordered that one. Been having a black clothes sort of kick lately. The black/tan does look great though.

And I think I'm going to go to Nordstroms today to get my measurements, I don't know any of them

Hey luckyboyceo, did you check on that sizing info at Blue Owl?
Yeah, there shouldn't be much of a difference. Granted, I wasn't sure which model you were going for so I can't know exactly. We've got measurements on the website though, just find your model and size and take a look.

Chance of rain today so I'm going with a hoodie, it's grey with wide red strips going across. Do I take my purple blazer or my green blazer with me?
With that sweatshirt? Neither.

Alright guys, I turn 30 in a few weeks and my friends are putting together a small get together.

I was hoping you guys could give me some input. I've always been partial to a nice waistcoat over a suit. Feel too stuffy in one.

I really like the look of this double breasted piece from SuitSupply:

Having some difficulty tracking it down for order and the local SuitSupply doesn't seem to carry it.

I'd like to do something special while keeping my aesthetic in place, a nice wasitcoat/shirt/tie/pants combo. That picture above is similar to how I dress for parties/gatherings/nights out. (Just without the model looks and would probably go with loafers over the boots)

Would really love some suggestions on some similar looks/pieces that I could pick up!
Personally, I feel like that look works because of the bag. It brings everything together, so without it, it might look dull.

With that said, I don't know much about waistcoats, but for versatility I'd look into a nice grey color scheme. Brown is cool too if you have blues in your wardrobe/outfit. Just please don't wear it with jeans.

mblitek

Gentlemen, Gentlemen I need your help & services!

Why am I different? I suffered a spinal cord injury awhile ago resulting in Quadriplegia and I am tall (6'5"), thin and big footed (14/15)!

The biggest problem is the wheelchair and things not fitting correctly so it's hard to find things that fit well. Especially pants and shoes/boots. So I've decided now, well, a few months ago to start buying more fitting and expensive (to me) clothes. I find all my stuff that fits better I wear more which justifies its purchase.Among many other reasons.

So I want to run all my purchases by you guys. I need some classier & dressier boots. I'm looking at the Allen Edmond Dalton Wingtips in Walnut. I feel like that is a good, safe bet boot & shoe and matches my style.

Thoughts?

Second question, what types & brands of jeans/khakis/cords should I be looking at? I'm a 36x36. I have some Citizen of Humanity Slimmy jeans (not actually slim legged) which fit pretty perfect to give you an idea.

I also can't pull off a skinny/tight jean, I'm more of a "preppy" look I guess you could say. So with all that said, any suggestions?

Gentlemen, Gentlemen I need your help & services!

Why am I different? I suffered a spinal cord injury awhile ago resulting in Quadriplegia and I am tall (6'5"), thin and big footed (14/15)!

The biggest problem is the wheelchair and things not fitting correctly so it's hard to find things that fit well. Especially pants and shoes/boots. So I've decided now, well, a few months ago to start buying more fitting and expensive (to me) clothes. I find all my stuff that fits better I wear more which justifies its purchase.Among many other reasons.

So I want to run all my purchases by you guys. I need some classier & dressier boots. I'm looking at the Allen Edmond Dalton Wingtips in Walnut. I feel like that is a good, safe bet boot & shoe and matches my style.

Thoughts?

Second question, what types & brands of jeans/khakis/cords should I be looking at? I'm a 36x36. I have some Citizen of Humanity Slimmy jeans (not actually slim legged) which fit pretty perfect to give you an idea.

I also can't pull off a skinny/tight jean, I'm more of a "preppy" look I guess you could say. So with all that said, any suggestions?
You can't go wrong with Allen Edmonds. If you like the style then go for it. Other options similar in look/quality/price would be Alden, Wolverine 1000 Mile, and Red Wing Iron Rangers.

As for denim you pretty much have the entire world open to you. Just about every denim label has had to tailor their cuts to a more slim fit in order to stay relevant in today's industry. A good entry level brand might be Unbranded? Good quality, fantastic price. Levi's has also introduced 3 new cuts over the past year that are more modern. Look into their 511's, 513's and 514's. If you like that and want to start getting more into high quality denim, try looking at Naked & Famous and 3Sixteen.

Granted, most of the aforementioned brands work exclusively with raw denim, so it's not going to be faded/distressed or anything like that. It will however, look like that eventually over time with wear. Not sure what look you were going for, I know Citizens does the prewashed/distressed look a lot. Levi's might have pre-faded jeans already in those cuts, not sure.

some girl wants to go to saint laurent with me and try to get on rich kids of instagram. this is the same girl who bought everyone in her class alexander mcqueen scarves for twin day. maybe she'll buy me my leather pants.

Can someone help me with ordering from TOJ? I went to nordstrom's to get my measurements but I didn't notice they aren't in quite the same format as on the site.

I got:
shoulder: 17
chest: 37
body length: 26.5
arm length: 22

If you own one, best thing to do is find a similarly styled jacket that fits well and take the measurements from there. Should be a measurement guide on the TOJ site.

KissVibes

Banned
940ghNR.jpg

I'm looking for a jacket similar to this one on the cheaper side, preferably under $50. I'd like something in black but olive or I guess a slate gray would be alright too. Thanks to anyone that can point me in the right direction.

Kwixotik

Yeah, there shouldn't be much of a difference. Granted, I wasn't sure which model you were going for so I can't know exactly. We've got measurements on the website though, just find your model and size and take a look.

With that sweatshirt? Neither.

Personally, I feel like that look works because of the bag. It brings everything together, so without it, it might look dull.

With that said, I don't know much about waistcoats, but for versatility I'd look into a nice grey color scheme. Brown is cool too if you have blues in your wardrobe/outfit. Just please don't wear it with jeans.

Thanks. I want the skinny ones. I still can't decide whether to get 28s or 29s. I'll probably buy the 29s tonight though because id rather them be a little big than too small.

Picked up 2 pairs of Ralphs for cheap these past few days.

VTX0RyV.jpg

XiEoVkY.jpg

That brings me up to.... 13 current pairs of trainers. I'mma need a bigger shoe rack.

Thanks. I want the skinny ones. I still can't decide whether to get 28s or 29s. I'll probably buy the 29s tonight though because id rather them be a little big than too small.
They'll stretch out a little in the waist though. If you know you can fit a 28, I'd probably go with that, even if it is painfully tight for the first week. Just make sure wherever you're buying from has an exchange policy.

Don't usually like H&M these days but I couldn't pass these up:

hmprod
hmprod

Buy one get one free and they're at $20 bucks a pop.

Unfortunately, they're out of colors and sizes so I had to stick with grey and black, otherwise I would've went for a grey and blue combo instead.

Kwixotik

They'll stretch out a little in the waist though. If you know you can fit a 28, I'd probably go with that, even if it is painfully tight for the first week. Just make sure wherever you're buying from has an exchange policy.

I ordered a 28, hopefully it works. My APCs are actually size 27 and they fit alright until I washed them and then I could never button the top button. I guess if they don't fit after a couple days, I'll just have to cut back on beer for a while haha.

Top Bottom