• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Lunchbox

Banned
goodwill/thrifting can be amazing if you are in the right area. I've seen gucci horsebit loafers, with maybe a couple steps worth of wear, for $10

I would assume that aside from 'thrift-thrift' stores places like san francisco would have fashion consignment stores with a better selection of used or overstock goods. Might be worth a yelp search.

youre beyond saving now bro. i remember when you use to roll hard. alucrid and that illitad dude ruined you

i put a 110$ calfskin belt on my tag during my lunch break in memory of the old you. RIP Macuser

MeywMw4.png

Boken

Banned
youre beyond saving now bro. i remember when you use to roll hard. alucrid and that illitad dude ruined you

i put a 110$ calfskin belt on my tag during my lunch break in memory of the old you. RIP Macuser

MeywMw4.png

what the hell whats with that shitty ride bro

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you don't want to spend $600+ on Viberg's, you can custom order these chromexcel captoe boots from a company in Indonesia for less than $300 shipped:

http://chevalierstore.com/galleryCon.php?type=Footwear&season=25
I need something like this. My work requires nicer shoes but I will be walking to work in winter, so I'm looking for a boot that is not too boot-like. I wonder if Red Wing Shoes has anything suitable since there is one in town.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
the red wing gentleman's traveler is pretty work-friendly IMO:
I don't see these on their site. I do see some nice things like the Beckman, but they don't come in wide, and Iron Rangers seem a bit much, so I may have to settle for Chukkas. I don't think we're overly strict about dress code, but I'll ask my boss about it. I'm pretty sure I just can't be noticeably clomping around in anything too heavy, but that I will find some measure of understanding since I'll be walking to work and later riding a motorcycle to work.

bob page

oh neat, thanks. you wouldn't happen to know their sizing would you?
Supposedly true to size, but I usually size down at least half for all my boots. You can try emailing them- their support is pretty awesome.

I originally found those on Reddit and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Only hassle is shipping.

Supposedly true to size, but I usually size down at least half for all my boots. You can try emailing them- their support is pretty awesome.

I originally found those on Reddit and reviews are overwhelmingly positive. Only hassle is shipping.
yeah how do you do that?

Zekes!

I don't see these on their site. I do see some nice things like the Beckman, but they don't come in wide, and Iron Rangers seem a bit much, so I may have to settle for Chukkas. I don't think we're overly strict about dress code, but I'll ask my boss about it. I'm pretty sure I just can't be noticeably clomping around in anything too heavy, but that I will find some measure of understanding since I'll be walking to work and later riding a motorcycle to work.

Beckman's = Gentleman Traveler

overcast

Pressure is on to grab a jacket. Need to start looking. I have a leather hoodie type jacket that serves me well. Looking into getting 2 more.

Debating between:
-Leather bomber (black or maybe even brown considering my leather jacket is black)
-Denim Jacket of some sort.
-Pea coat of some sort.

Which ones are the most versatile? Which ones make the most sense for a So Cal winter? I figure the pea coat will be used less, but I love the way it looks with a scarf.

Pressure is on to grab a jacket. Need to start looking. I have a leather hoodie type jacket that serves me well. Looking into getting 2 more.

Debating between:
-Leather bomber (black or maybe even brown considering my leather jacket is black)
-Denim Jacket of some sort.
-Pea coat of some sort.

Which ones are the most versatile? Which ones make the most sense for a So Cal winter? I figure the pea coat will be used less, but I love the way it looks with a scarf.

I know last So Cal winter, I wore a t-shirt half the time. Personally, I'm partial to denim jackets, and if you're in doubt about if that will be warm enough you can get one of the denim jackets with the shearling accents that seem to be so popular these days.

kehs

Banned
So I'm thinking of taking the plunge on this watch. Any updated impressions on this after you bought it?

I'm also considering picking up the Cole Haan Lunargrand Wingtip. Anyone here have any impressions of them?

C10226_A.png

I got mine on saturday but I was out of town, so I'm just now seeing it. It's pretty nice. It's not too big. Last watch I wore was hilarious large and it was like ten years ago. I like it so far, I went with the roman numerals instead of the regular digits. I don't regret it one bit.

aside from a hemming, no, it's pretty much perfect. looking to acquire another soon, they seem to be the only brand that does a nice wool/mohair regularly.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got mine on saturday but I was out of town, so I'm just now seeing it. It's pretty nice. It's not too big. Last watch I wore was hilarious large and it was like ten years ago. I like it so far, I went with the roman numerals instead of the regular digits. I don't regret it one bit.

Nice, thanks for the impressions. How long did it take for the item to be delivered?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So I have my Cousin's wedding in about a month. We're Albanian-Muslim so it's a little different. There's a morning reception and a night reception that I'll be attending. My old suit doesn't fit me because I lost a ton of weight and I don't want to buy a new suit because I plan on losing more weight/working out etc.

I'm thinking of buying a pair a dress pants to use for both the morning and night reception. However the tops would be different for each. I'm thinking for the morning I'll do a nice Sweater with a button down and tie under it. And for the night I'm thinking a cardigan with a button down and a bow tie under it. I've never rocked a bow tie before but I figure now is a good chance to see how it goes.

What I have:
Brown dress shoes
Brown Belt
Some button downs and ties

What I need:
Dress pants
Cardigan
Sweater
Bow tie

My budget is probably 250-300$. I'm not trying to go crazy over here. I also figured I could use the sweaters through the fall and winter without. Throw some ideas at me GAF. I need colors and shit.

I don't want to start a whole thread for something so unimportant so I thought I'd ask Man-Gaf for advice. I just started shaving with a razor. Up until now I've been using clippers but I've had to clipper every week or so and thought I may as well shave. I just wanted to know what processes or precautions I should take when shaving. What moisturizers/lotions/aftershaves I could apply to ensure that my skin is damaged as minimally as possible. I have extremely fair and sensitive skin so the slightest inconsistency is evident - which I hate. Thanks for the advice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Too long. I ordered it on the 14th of september, and it just got here on saturday.

So about two weeks. I guess that's not too terrible.

I don't want to start a whole thread for something so unimportant so I thought I'd ask Man-Gaf for advice. I just started shaving with a razor. Up until now I've been using clippers but I've had to clipper every week or so and thought I may as well shave. I just wanted to know what processes or precautions I should take when shaving. What moisturizers/lotions/aftershaves I could apply to ensure that my skin is damaged as minimally as possible. I have extremely fair and sensitive skin so the slightest inconsistency is evident - which I hate. Thanks for the advice.

Look up wet shaving. It's the only way to shave IMO.

So I have my Cousin's wedding in about a month. We're Albanian-Muslim so it's a little different. There's a morning reception and a night reception that I'll be attending. My old suit doesn't fit me because I lost a ton of weight and I don't want to buy a new suit because I plan on losing more weight/working out etc.

I'm thinking of buying a pair a dress pants to use for both the morning and night reception. However the tops would be different for each. I'm thinking for the morning I'll do a nice Sweater with a button down and tie under it. And for the night I'm thinking a cardigan with a button down and a bow tie under it. I've never rocked a bow tie before but I figure now is a good chance to see how it goes.

What I have:
Brown dress shoes
Brown Belt
Some button downs and ties

What I need:
Dress pants
Cardigan
Sweater
Bow tie

My budget is probably 250-300$. I'm not trying to go crazy over here. I also figured I could use the sweaters through the fall and winter without. Throw some ideas at me GAF. I need colors and shit.
How formal are the receptions? I assume the morning one is more formal, evening a little more loose and casual?

Definitely get yourself a pair of good trousers. You're right in that you can wear them in both settings. If you're looking for a versatile color, go with grey or navy blue (stay away from black). You'll probably want blue since your shoes/belt are brown.

As for the top, if you really want to wear a bow tie then go for it. I wouldn't pair it with a cardigan though. That's a super preppy look that screams more "ivy league classroom" to me than it does wedding. If the evening reception is a little more loose and casual, you might be good just wearing the bow tie with a crisp dress shirt (tucked in of course) and rolling up your sleeves. For shirt colors, look for a muted pink/orange or just stick with white. The tie can be just about anything. If possible get some socks that match/compliment either your tie or your shirt.

For the wedding itself a sweater would work. Not sure if you want crewneck or v-neck, but either would be doable. Grey is going to go with/over anything, default to that if you can't find anything you like. Wearing a tie underneath is certainly more formal. I would stay away from a bow tie in this instance however.

Honestly, if you can spring for a cheap blazer (H&M perhaps?), I'd do it. Not only will it come in handy for this event, but you'll get lots of use out of it in your everyday life. Granted, with your build, it's going to be tough to find, but stay open to the idea. I know H&M has sold them for around $100 before.

bob page

ok cool. is it just the brown or do they have black too?

That boot is custom order so I'm sure they could do it if you email them and they have black chromexcel.

Have you ordered with them?
Might bite the bullet
Nope- was going to but ended up getting Iron Rangers for my bday.

Check out this thread on Reddit that has links to tons of reviews & impressions:
http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...evalier_captoe_chromexcel_boots_quick_review/

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How formal are the receptions? I assume the morning one is more formal, evening a little more loose and casual?

Definitely get yourself a pair of good trousers. You're right in that you can wear them in both settings. If you're looking for a versatile color, go with grey or navy blue (stay away from black). You'll probably want blue since your shoes/belt are brown.

As for the top, if you really want to wear a bow tie then go for it. I wouldn't pair it with a cardigan though. That's a super preppy look that screams more "ivy league classroom" to me than it does wedding. If the evening reception is a little more loose and casual, you might be good just wearing the bow tie with a crisp dress shirt (tucked in of course) and rolling up your sleeves. For shirt colors, look for a muted pink/orange or just stick with white. The tie can be just about anything. If possible get some socks that match/compliment either your tie or your shirt.

For the wedding itself a sweater would work. Not sure if you want crewneck or v-neck, but either would be doable. Grey is going to go with/over anything, default to that if you can't find anything you like. Wearing a tie underneath is certainly more formal. I would stay away from a bow tie in this instance however.

Honestly, if you can spring for a cheap blazer (H&M perhaps?), I'd do it. Not only will it come in handy for this event, but you'll get lots of use out of it in your everyday life. Granted, with your build, it's going to be tough to find, but stay open to the idea. I know H&M has sold them for around $100 before.

Good looking out bro. Appreciate it.

Yea I've been looking for inspiration online and have seen a lot of that preppy style you mention, that's definitely not what I'm looking for.

My first thought was also grey. I wanna TRY a bow tie to see if I can pull it off. It's different and new for me so if it looks good, I'll rock it. If not, then it'll just be a straight up tie.

The morning is definitely more formal than the evening but they're both pretty formal. By the end of the evening however, everyone will be drunk and dancing and so it won't matter. A lot of people just take off their jackets.

So right now I'm looking at:

Morning:
Grey/Blue dress pants
Sweater
Dress shirt
Tie

Night:
Same grey/blue pants
Dress shirt
Bow Tie

OR

Night:
Same grey/bkue pants
Dress shirt
Tie

A Cardigan and a Tie for the night wedding might be nice too. I'll see. I'm gonna head to the mall tomorrow and see what I can find.

I went shopping for boots to go with my outfits but not a single store carried size 14s or above. I found a pair but they cut to 13. I'm not cramming my wide feet into those. Also they were only $60.

I went shopping for boots to go with my outfits but not a single store carried size 14s or above. I found a pair but they cut to 13. I'm not cramming my wide feet into those. Also they were only $60.
have you considered biting the bullet and going through zappos? You might end up paying more, but they have a great selection and practically every size on earth.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
A wild Tashi appears...

Anywho, got my ASOS order in. The long sleeved polo is nice but the Chambray shirt isn't quite my style and is longer than it showed it the photo, I can't really wear it untucked. Might be sending it back.

What do you all think of this for a Fall jacket? $90 right now.

have you considered biting the bullet and going through zappos? You might end up paying more, but they have a great selection and practically every size on earth.
I've been on Zappos and I can't really find the boot style I'm looking for. I decided that i might take the risk and buy some New Balance 501 to match some of my clothing.

new-balance-501-mens

Those color combos look perfect for fall IMO. Man boots would look nice with my peacoat though.

Top Bottom