• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

jesalr

P_283288732FM.jpg

Picked this up in navy while I was down in Portugal. Lovely light jacker for autumn.

wow, slp is quite different than dior homme, those sleeves are not very long at all.

yeah, the cut is actually very different. more cropped, shorter sleeves, and much boxier. was trying on some of the flannels and they are straight up oversized. however, i was reading an interview with hedi where basically he said that he tailored his clothes in such a way that you can size down and the clothing piece retains it's proportions. so, basically, if i size down on a shirt, it becomes slim while still fitting, which i did, and it worked. size 37 in slp baby!

oh and re givenchy, dude needs to drop these weird gimmicks (bedazzled faces? wut). I've consistently liked this pre-fall/resort stuff way more because of this.

oh and re givenchy, dude needs to drop these weird gimmicks (bedazzled faces? wut). I've consistently liked this pre-fall/resort stuff way more because of this.

at least it wasn't t-shirts. i thought the actual dresses were pretty nice. ann d still gets my pick for best of ss14 though.

also, at the slp store, i was looking through the womens collection, and it's actually awesome. far better then the runway show would imply. the babydoll dresses are great. a friend of mine is going to buy one with a leather bow, velvet body, and studs all down the sides.

Sajjaja

Can we talk about cologne in here too? I'm not much of a cologne person but my sister talked me into it and I got this Lacoste Pure White fragrance. It's like a warm, fruity kind of smell, but not musky. Any of you guys have experience with it?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I have been wearing Versace pour Homme for a while now. It is subtle enough and classy. I kind of want to change it up but most colognes are annoying to me.

45$K for that?

Money could be better spent on better clothing.

I'd only dish out that kind of cash if I was wiping my ass with dollars.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming you didn't buy it :p

The jacket is gold thread with swarovski crystal studs. I wear it when I hit the gym.

no i sadly did not buy it

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Yesterday I finally sat down and did an accounting of the clothes I bought on my trip last week to the outlet mall upstate. Here is a list of what I copped for the fall/winter season.

[LONG POST WARNING]

Two pairs of corduroy pants from Polo Ralph Lauren:

Two sweaters from Polo Ralph Lauren:

A sweater jacket from Polo Ralph Lauren:

A print shirt from Ted Baker:

A long sleeve polo from Ted Baker:

A 3-button sports jacket from Ted Baker (unfortunately this seems to be one size too large, so I'll have to decide whether to keep it or have a replacement shipped from one of their other outlet stores since they don't have my size in stock):

Ted Baker pocket square:

A cashmere sweater from Saks Fifth Avenue:

Four shirts from J Crew (not pictured is a plain white shirt):

Two ties from J Crew:

Two sweaters from J Crew:

Two socks from J Crew:

And not pictured here is a pair of Converse sneakers and some boxer briefs from Ted Baker.

The final tally? $1,200 all in. I am always surprised by how much shit I can get for my money when hitting up the outlets. I still have a bunch of items I need to pick up to complete my fall/winter wardrobe, but I think this is a good start.

kaskade

^^^ perfect for when my iphone comes in.

I bought some wine and orange jeans from Uniqlo. Pretty nice. I've pretty much been safe with my pants so I have to get used to matching the different colors.

I posted in the hair thread too but I don't know how often that gets checked, does anyone here live in SF and know a good barber? I need a cut

I was there when Illithid tried on the $45K jacket. He was a king. Shout outs to Illithid Dude for showing me around Rodeo.

I picked up a dope Gitman button down in LA that I'll post pictures of in the next few days. Successful trip (despite Baxter Finley being closed).

Yesterday I finally sat down and did an accounting of the clothes I bought on my trip last week to the outlet mall upstate. Here is a list of what I copped for the fall/winter season.
Nice pickups. I agree that the floral shirt is the standout piece in that haul.

Mik2121

I got this suit about a month ago. It's not 100% tailored, but I didn't have much time and to have it completely tailored it would have taken too long and I was kinda in a rush...

(I posted this pic on the "post your own pics" thread too)

It shows many wrinkles because I spent the whole day walking around and having photos taken and whatnot :/

The fabric is made by Ermenegildo Zegna and it was "half" tailored on a shop where I live.

(Sorry for the douchey pose, they asked me to do it!)

X-Frame

Does anyone have any recommendations for hair styling, right now I primarily use got2b Fiber Gum or the Wax, but it's about $5-6 for just a measly 2 ounces.

There has to be something more cost efficient but not a name-brand or something more under the radar that is comparable?

Much appreciated!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I want this shirt ;_____;

The floral print shirt from Ted Baker is nice. Good buy.

Nice pickups. I agree that the floral shirt is the standout piece in that haul.

Thanks guys. That shirt is definitely my favorite pickup, and I actually had to go through a process to get it. They had a size 3 in stock but not a size 2, so I had them call around and turns out the outlet store in Las Vegas had one in stock. It was more expensive than the one they had in stock in NY (I guess they charge more in LV) and I had to pay an additional $15 for shipping, but I really liked it so I pulled the trigger. Took an extra week but I finally received it over the weekend.

I'll have to stop by Ted Baker's retail store in Manhattan sometime, I was really impressed with the stuff they had at the outlet.

Fashion-GAF I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some advice. I'm looking for a more "interesting" pair of dress shoes to wear to a wedding. Something beyond the typical oxford/cap toe/loafer look that everyone wears. A pair of shoes a little more fashionable and "different", but they still need to look good with a grey suit. I was thinking something maybe in suede rather than leather since that might stand out a bit, but all the suede shoes I've found look much too casual to wear with a suit - they tend to be a bit too unstructured. I probably want to stay away from boots too - again because I'm going to be in a suit with a tie and french cuffed shirt, so boots might look weird.

I found this pair which is pretty much exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but unfortunately they only come in brown:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/aston+grey+nichols+oxford?prodId=281477&productRef=SEARCH

MJpW4dl.jpg

Sure, I probably could get away with a brown shoe/grey suit combo, but I was really hoping for black. Anyone have suggestions?

giga

Fashion-GAF I'm hoping you'll be able to give me some advice. I'm looking for a more "interesting" pair of dress shoes to wear to a wedding. Something beyond the typical oxford/cap toe/loafer look that everyone wears. A pair of shoes a little more fashionable and "different", but they still need to look good with a grey suit. I was thinking something maybe in suede rather than leather since that might stand out a bit, but all the suede shoes I've found look much too casual to wear with a suit - they tend to be a bit too unstructured. I probably want to stay away from boots too - again because I'm going to be in a suit with a tie and french cuffed shirt, so boots might look weird.

I found this pair which is pretty much exactly the type of thing I'm looking for, but unfortunately they only come in brown:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/aston+grey+nichols+oxford?prodId=281477&productRef=SEARCH

MJpW4dl.jpg

Sure, I probably could get away with a brown shoe/grey suit combo, but I was really hoping for black. Anyone have suggestions?
http://m.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF2988_1_40000000001_-1

Does anyone have any recommendations for hair styling, right now I primarily use got2b Fiber Gum or the Wax, but it's about $5-6 for just a measly 2 ounces.

There has to be something more cost efficient but not a name-brand or something more under the radar that is comparable?

Much appreciated!

Gatsby Moving Rubber. Been using it for the last 6 years or so, and it never has failed me. The only issue is that you gotta buy it on Amazon or eBay as it's only sold in Japan, and they're around $10 bucks. But, the most you'll use is like dime sized so it'll last a long time. I've got an 80 gram box and it usually lasts me 3-4 months.

I'm new to this site (2nd post)

I found this thread looking around and I saw you guys looking at or purchasing really expensive clothing. Do you shop at Goodwill or is it a place to avoid? I started getting into clothing more and more and I started snooping around thrift shops and I found clothing from really expensive stores.

I was talking to my dad and he said that places like San Mateo, California have really really nice clothing due to the amount of wealth flowing there and he said that when he lived there, expensive clothing that didn't get sold in the stores went to the Goodwills there. Since he can get me free flights, I was thinking of going to San Fran, and San Mateo to do a run of the Goodwills to find some nicer clothing. I know some of those clothes could have imperfections but do you guys think it's worth it?

Edit: So far I've gotten clothing from Gap to Banana Republic for up to $4 to $3.

goodwill/thrifting can be amazing if you are in the right area. I've seen gucci horsebit loafers, with maybe a couple steps worth of wear, for $10

I would assume that aside from 'thrift-thrift' stores places like san francisco would have fashion consignment stores with a better selection of used or overstock goods. Might be worth a yelp search.

I've never had any luck finding stuff at thrift stores but then again I don't think I go to the right ones. I know Cosmic Bus is the thrifting king, I need to pick his brain one of these days. That or just start going to stores on capitol hill.

A little disappointed we didn't see a lucky slp selfie too

Tell me about it.
I don't think they'd let me try on the jacket. Thigh gaps only apparently. Pretty discriminatory if you ask me.

Top Bottom