• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Lirlond

You've got a good casual game going, but what about more dressy evenings, or nights where you need to look even better. There's never a reason to stop shopping.

Except bankruptcy

Brah I dress nice and I am a Cinema major. I'm lucky if these douches fucking wipe their asses and shower. A shirt without a food stain is "dressing up" to them.

Yes, but what I am saying is that I already stand out so there really is no need. I have the means now but really no reason.

OK, so I do need to buy a new jacket and pick up some casual trainers and some boots.

So do you want to simply stand out, or do you want to make everyone else look like the bunch of sorry scrubs that they are? I think the choice here is easy.

PotatoCat

What is FashionGAF's consensuss on 5 panel hats? Urban Outfitters is having a $15 off $75 sale and I have my eye if this $40 Obey sweatshirt, but I need a couple of more stuff to get the $15 off and free shipping.

I want a hat.

Not a fedora but something with a flat bill. I can't really find a photo but since I'm growing my hair out I think it'd look nice..

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I want a hat.

Not a fedora but something with a flat bill. I can't really find a photo but since I'm growing my hair out I think it'd look nice..

ibxekiwEz4OE1O.jpg

Zekes!

What is FashionGAF's consensuss on 5 panel hats? Urban Outfitters is having a $15 off $75 sale and I have my eye if this $40 Obey sweatshirt, but I need a couple of more stuff to get the $15 off and free shipping.

5 panels have somewhat grown on me, but I feel like they don't really suit a lot of people. I still prefer 6 panels 10/10 times. The 2nd to last one is okay

last or stussy one... the problem with a lot of these 5-panels out right now is that they plop some weird logo plate dead center in the front panel for no apparent reason. It seems like the only reason 5 panels have gotten a push is that a large panel allows for easy logo-ing, which I think is lame.

FINALLY I can create the style I want to have. About to finish school in the spring and I got offered a job. Minimum spending of 40% of my signing bonus to recreate my entire wardrobe based on the style of none other than
macuser

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's a good belt to get to wear with jeans that basically goes with everything? Just a brown belt? Or should I get a few basic colors?

Oh, also, I had date 1 this last Monday doing dinner/drinks and rocked my new H&M button up. She insisted I start Game of Thrones and we did that Wednesday night and last night. Something I'm doing is working this year...

friday

What's a good belt to get to wear with jeans that basically goes with everything? Just a brown belt? Or should I get a few basic colors?

Oh, also, I had date 1 this last Monday doing dinner/drinks and rocked my new H&M button up. She insisted I start Game of Thrones and we did that Wednesday night and last night. Something I'm doing is working this year...

You need a good dark brown and black belt. I also like natural because of the way it ages. Orion leather company makes nice quality belts (think tanner goods) but the price range is $30-$50ish. They have a big variety of styles and buckles.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Aw shit son, way to go! Gotta make sure not to hang out with her too much in the early stages lest she think you're clingy. Nothing turns girls off faster than a clingy guy.

friday

I like uniqlo stuff but that jacket was just too cheap feeling. I know, it's $40, but the ribbing was loose as hell and the materials are very thin. Sucks because the black one looks good. My cheap Levi's bomber is nicer and almost the same price. They don't make it anymore though.

Tex117

Banned
Here is a shot in the dark. Can anyone recommend another version of the following?
filson-levis-trucker-jacket.jpg

They don't make them any more.

Also, can anyone recommend a good slight better than casual jacket? Not a blazer, not a fleece, something to wear like out to a bar or on a date.

I'm 6'5" with a slender athletic build if that helps out the recommendations.

Thanks Fashion Gaf!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Wedding pics. What can I improve? I was thinking about a darker jean for the reception.
I wouldn't do jeans to wedding. If you absolutely must, not a distressed jean, but something with a clean look, preferably classic dark blue (you are right on with that, especially for those colors) or some other rich color (as in opaque, not vivid) rather than something faded. But really, experiment trying on different types of slacks to find something that really works for you. There are so many cuts and when you find one that really rocks for you it's sooo good.

Forgive me if I'm going too far, but looking at your pics, I'm gonna guess you mostly like where jeans rest on your hips. Lines up well with your shirt where the slacks ride too high. If you do slacks and tuck in for a cleaner look, you don't like the proportions with your legs because it looks like it's cutting off the bottom of your top section and maybe aren't fully satisfied with where your stomach is at because while you're slim, you're not to model-level perfection abs so it's like the layers of shirt bunched around the tuck-in area makes it look like you are carrying more there than you really are.

If such is the case, I can vouch for some slacks at Express. They have some with a more "modern" as they say lower cut waist more akin to jeans, which works out better for those without super long leg model proportions, as a proportionately long crotch-to-waist area seems to visually create a nebulous middle section by robbing from the top section, a double loss. They also have enough different types of fit that you can get what works for your legs, and some have a bit of stretch for more jean-like comfy feel when being more closely fit, as opposed to tight/drapey gamble with slacks that can sometimes end with them riding up annoyingly much at the ankles.

As for excessive fabric at the waist, which may make you just want to go for an overall-more-casual (yet not clean/sharp) untucked look with that sweater, Express also have a decent range of different tapered shirt cuts (closer to what guys in Europe have access to) to help lose some needless fabric, again with a bit of stretch to get a closer cut without constricted movement. Stretch might be online exclusive, I forget, but try in store, pick by look, and trust that stretch will fix comfort issues.

However, what will really help is a nice vest and/or a blazer you keep buttoned. They maintain the clean lines and contain excessive fabric from clothes that aren't perfectly tailored to you, while also leaving the nebulous mid-section to the imagination where it works out better. I might sound like I am promoting Express a lot, but just in my small town they have been a great off-the-rack spot for lack of funds and tailoring to go fully legit, which would probably be better. I had much to say here because of my own struggles (common struggles for many guys) against social ideal images for men's looks and shitty options in stores for those who don't exactly match it but still want to try better for themselves.

friday

Here is a shot in the dark. Can anyone recommend another version of the following?

Filson makes that jacket in their slimmer Seattle fit. Look for the waxed cotton trucker jacket. Something like the weekender might also fit your need.

Also, can anyone recommend a good slight better than casual jacket? Not a blazer, not a fleece, something to wear like out to a bar or on a date.

Thanks Fashion Gaf!
That levi/filson oiled trucker is pretty much the only one i've ever seen; filson does make sorta similar jackets but none of theme are truckers

to the latter, specific recs will depend on what kind of shit you like to wear and how much dough you want to spend. I would say generally a good casual-dressy jacket should have a button front and a turn-down collar or abbreviated lapel, and non-synthetic fabric.

ie;

41390512bm_21_e.jpg

hardy aimes ~$650

203.2134-charcoal-m3.jpg

billy reid, ~$350

depends on how casual you want to get.

although, seeing how you are very tall, you can probably get away with wearing a nice peacoat and it won't look too dressy, since the length would probably be more 'jacket' than 'coat'.

edit; yeah, forgot about engineered garments. woolrich woolen mills might have something in this area too.

Alucrid

Banned
http://uncrate.com/p/2010/09/filson-levis-trucker-jacket.jpg[img]
They don't make them any more.

Thanks Fashion Gaf![/QUOTE]

Just look for a waxed trucker jacket.

Something like an EG Bedford might work as a casual jacket.

[img]http://well-spent.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Engineered_Garments_Bedford_Jacket_4.jpg

I got this exact one and returned it immediately, looked like I was wearing a slim-fit plastic garbage bag. Way too shiny, not flattering at all.

Ah, well that's too bad. Guess I'll see when it gets here.

Tex117

Banned
Filson makes that jacket in their slimmer Seattle fit. Look for the waxed cotton trucker jacket. Something like the weekender might also fit your need.

Thanks guys. Yeah, it was a limited Levis/Filson venture. The things are awesome. Are you talking about the Westlake?

Hmm, what do you guys think of this one? The Westlake doesn't come in slim fit, and I must do the slim fit stuff. Especially in work wear stuff.
10232-main-001.jpg

EDIT: Actually, it seems in person it doesn't drape as well. ugh.

Filson has some other stuff, but doesn't have that iconic look that the levis trucker has.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Im having a pretty difficult time finding something that really fits into the slightly more than casual jacket category.

I had recently purchased the Jcrew University coat, but it didnt' fit.
96037_WB2194_m

Pea coats look a little dumb on me, and further, I live in Texas so its just too hot to keep it buttoned all the time.

Most of my stuff ends up looking too sporty. Don't get me wrong, Im an outdoorsy guy, but I look more like Im hiking up mountians than drinking a few beers with the guys.

Any more suggestions?! HALP!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You need a good dark brown and black belt. I also like natural because of the way it ages. Orion leather company makes nice quality belts (think tanner goods) but the price range is $30-$50ish. They have a big variety of styles and buckles.

Thanks. I'll see what I can find.

Aw shit son, way to go! Gotta make sure not to hang out with her too much in the early stages lest she think you're clingy. Nothing turns girls off faster than a clingy guy.

Hey, it was at her suggestion that she come by and watch GoT. :p

Top Bottom