• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

So it's started to snow where I live, recs on winter boots that are actually fashionable? (As well as any other winter items, I'm trying to build up a more year round wardrobe here)
Not sure how well they do in snow (we rarely get snow where I live) but I strongly support the Wolverine 1000 Mile recommendation. I wear them just about everyday now and love them. Beautiful boots.

I'm new here i think?
I was looking to get a new winter coat. I want something that is more everyday style nothing dressy and i don't want a bomber. I'm actually a fan of some of the adidas jackets(i hate myself for not hopping on the 50% sale they had last week). Anyways what are some of your takes on their jacket, any jackets with similar look(parka style) anyone you think i should get?

I'd say that $250 is my limit, i'm a broke student and i still need clothes

edit: from looking at op, this thread is way too fashionable for me
Have you tried Uniqlo? I'm sure they'd have something up your alley. While you're at it, maybe pick up some of their heattech stuff to help stay warm? I remember reading a couple posts in here from guys who had good results. Gap probably has something for you as well.

Christopher

Sooo I posted a few weeks ago about a wedding I needed outfits for. Thanks to Luckyboy for the advice, I appreciate it bro. I'm pretty much all set, wedding is on Saturday.

Morning part: Will be adding a tie, not sure which yet
OPIY6dt.jpg

Night party without the bowtie:
IcbHEuY.jpg

Night party, shirt and Bow Tie:
VlNm9EC.jpg

Still practicing the art of tying a bow tie. I'll be sure to get a good one. I also ordered the Bow Tie from http://www.thetiebar.com/. Great site. Tons of different ties to choose from. They're all 15$. I got the Midnight blue one with light stripes. It's also wool. The tie is very nice. Great quality.

Got a brown belt which is not pictured. Pants are dark grey, shirts are light grey and pink. Sweater is a deep red. Macy's had a crazy sale so I got everything for pretty cheap. Pants were like half off for 80. Shirts were buy one get one free.(60$) Sweater was on sale from 80 to 40.

Overall I'm pretty excited for this wedding. This is actually the most comfortable I feel as far as how I'm dressed for a wedding in a long time. Thoughts?

Where are the shoes from

Also where the same color tie as the sweater and same belt as shoes style 101 match :cool:

jesalr

Wore this to a friends 21st last night. Quality is super bad because it was 5am and I was still drunk when I took the photo.

91zSHEpl.jpg

Wore this to a friends 21st last night. Quality is super bad because it was 5am and I was still drunk when I took the photo.

91zSHEpl.jpg
Not bad. Based on the size of your lapels, I think a slightly skinnier tie would be better. Also the jacket is either too small or your tailor took way too much in in the back cause the lapels are popping quite a bit. Other than that it's solid.

trixx

Have you tried Uniqlo? I'm sure they'd have something up your alley. While you're at it, maybe pick up some of their heattech stuff to help stay warm? I remember reading a couple posts in here from guys who had good results. Gap probably has something for you as well.

Actually i haven't, great recommendation. Do you know about their cuts i'm about 5'9 slim build so i don't know if medium woulf be too small, this is for the mountain parka. That and i don't know if it's warm enough for canadian winter

EDIT: i just tried to place an order and they don't ship to Canada, nvm.

Antagon

Do y'all ever buy pants online? Shirts are fairly easy to get the right size but pants sound a lot trickier.

I've done it before, but only with pants with a good size chart (including waist size, upper leg, length and hem).

If that's available, just compare the measurements worth some pants you've already got.

I'm getting a bit tired of wearing jeans. But other than dress pants thats all I know. Are you all able to lead me to some different types of leg wear?

friday

So it's started to snow where I live, recs on winter boots that are actually fashionable? (As well as any other winter items, I'm trying to build up a more year round wardrobe here)

For real winter weather I have some 10 inch LL Bean boots. Part rubber boot, part leather, and fully waterproof. They also offer liner inserts if you need more warmth.

20110325_midwestyle_beanboots_01.JPG

GAF, where can I find a peacoat just like this, or at least as close as possible? The vast majority of peacoats I see I don't like. Oh, and the beanie too.
what do you specifically like about it? The patch pockets and epaulets?

not sure if i would wear capris, but yeh this is what I meant, thanks. Forgot about corduroys; couldn't remember the name
there are also standard ol chino pants.

what do you specifically like about it? The patch pockets and epaulets?

I do like the epaulets and patch pockets and whatnot, but I also like how slim it looks. It seems to look a lot more slim than most peacoats I see. I don't know if it's clipped in the back for the pic or what though. I also like how the buttons reach the bottom, rather than stopping several inches above, which I think may be giving it the appearance of being more slim than usual.

Also, do all peacoats has the straps at the cuff?

most have cuff straps, but it isn't 100%. epaulets are even less common IME. Patch pockets are usually a duffle coat characteristic.

try digging through asos/h&m and see what you can find. burberry has some stuff on their website but it's kinda $$.

jesalr

Not bad. Based on the size of your lapels, I think a slightly skinnier tie would be better. Also the jacket is either too small or your tailor took way too much in in the back cause the lapels are popping quite a bit. Other than that it's solid.

Yeah, I probably got a bit bigger at the chest since I picked it up, that and I'm definitely a bit fatter too :p

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My next two purchases are going to be a leather bomber jacket and a peacoat. I need to actually make time to go out and shop though, I've been getting lazier and lazier as it gets colder and colder.

well I go to checkout with a Medium and it isn't sold out, or at least it hasn't told me yet. heh.

edit: now it's gone hah. could just be because it's sitting in my checkout bag? I'm not sure exactly how these sites work.

double edit: I removed it from my bag and it's back in stock. guess there is only one.

Rookje

I do like the epaulets and patch pockets and whatnot, but I also like how slim it looks. It seems to look a lot more slim than most peacoats I see. I don't know if it's clipped in the back for the pic or what though. I also like how the buttons reach the bottom, rather than stopping several inches above, which I think may be giving it the appearance of being more slim than usual.

Also, do all peacoats has the straps at the cuff?
It looks good on him cause it fits him really well. He's also a model and is tall, slim with good proportions. If you have a significant drop size (shoulder to waist ratio) you won't get that look... you'll have to do a lot of tapering (tailoring) to get anything similar.

Try on H&M peacoats, maybe Zara to start. I say those two brands because you can commonly find them in most malls and the fit usually isn't that bad (its more the quality). I like Billy Reid's peacoats (I have the Bond one). Uniqlo is pretty decent too for H&M's price range.

overcast

Cool scarves, they aren't totally necessary where I live unfortunately. I have one on deck though.

I ordered my first denim jacket. I'll take a picture when it arrives.

It looks good on him cause it fits him really well. He's also a model and is tall, slim with good proportions. If you have a significant drop size (shoulder to waist ratio) you won't get that look... you'll have to do a lot of tapering (tailoring) to get anything similar.

Try on H&M peacoats, maybe Zara to start. I say those two brands because you can commonly find them in most malls and the fit usually isn't that bad (its more the quality). I like Billy Reid's peacoats (I have the Bond one). Uniqlo is pretty decent too for H&M's price range.

I figured the whole model thing was a large part of why it looks good, but still, I really like the coat itself. :p

Was checking out the coats at Zara last night and they do have some really nice shit. I found a handful of coats I like, some similar to what I posted, so I'll probably cop something from there.

Heads up, thetiebar.com just started doing scarves. Some decent options available currently for those of you looking to jump into the scarf game for cheap. All $25 each.

Nice, I need a grey one.

giga

Private Equity Firm Brentwood Associates Agrees to Acquire Allen Edmonds;
Retains Allen Edmonds’ Leadership and Continues “Made in America” Manufacturing Strategy

PORT WASHINGTON, WISCONSIN. (NOVEMBER 4, 2013) – Allen Edmonds Corporation has agreed to be acquired by an affiliate of Brentwood Associates, a Los Angeles based private equity firm founded in 1972 with a strong track record of successful investments in growth-oriented consumer companies. Allen Edmonds will remain an independent private company, according to its president & chief executive officer Paul Grangaard, and will now have greater access to investment capital as a result of a successful ownership transition from Goldner Hawn Johnson & Morrison of Minneapolis, the private equity firm that led the purchase of Allen Edmonds in 2006.

Grangaard also announced that the leadership team responsible for the company’s significant growth over the last five years will remain with the company. He emphasized that Allen Edmonds remains completely committed to its “Made in USA” manufacturing strategy and its expanding Port Washington, Wis. production operation. Allen Edmonds has been handcrafting shoes in communities just north of Milwaukee since 1922.

Funding Will Fuel Continued Growth

“We’re absolutely delighted to partner with Brentwood Associates as we drive the development of this 91-year-old growth company,” said Grangaard. “This smooth transition provides us with the capital needed to continue building the Allen Edmonds brand, broadening our product line and taking our Made in USA products to new cities around the globe.”

Thank fuck Mens Wearhouse didn't buy em.

I'm curious to see if they expand or change direction. The Made in Italy line never really took off, and they kinda dropped the ball on the heritage trend.

Top Bottom