• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Went shopping today and only found one thing that I liked - a jacket. For what it is, I feel I paid too much. $86

The jacket is expensive. I think that the Pokemon shirt actually works well. It makes you look endearing, and it would be a great conversation starter.

Maybe you could go to your work like this? Except with pants that fit right.

tumblr_mx43amM3TZ1qg4knho1_500.jpg

But it's a blazer which gives you some professionalism with a henley that doesn't make it too formal for a teaching man. Pants just get something basic that fits I'd go black. Shoes are sweet. Most importantly it's pretty safe so the kids won't have anything to make fun of.

Anyone here like Everlane?

Not familiar with the brand, but looking at their site, the shirts are really nice. I'll probably order a few seed stitch and sweatshirts this month. Thanks.

My only advice is don't wear anything bad because those little punks have no mercy.

Most importantly it's pretty safe so the kids won't have anything to make fun of.

So true. I remember in middle school one year we had a teachers aid for a few weeks (might have been an intern). He wore a Rutgers t shirt one day and tucked the front in but not the sides and back. We ruthlessly tore him apart every single day for that. Poor guy. I feel bad for him looking back getting blasted by a bunch of 13yos.

Unicorn

IMG

But it's a blazer which gives you some professionalism with a henley that doesn't make it too formal for a teaching man. Pants just get something basic that fits I'd go black. Shoes are sweet. Most importantly it's pretty safe so the kids won't have anything to make fun of.

I was thinking chinos may work. I generally like a slimmer look (like the 527's I'm wearing in my pic). Dark or nicer brand jeans would probably be fine. It's business casual, so a Polo or button-up shirt should be enough with nice jeans - slacks may be too much, imo.

Where can I get some good cheap chino's or similar pants? I'm a littler burnt out from B&M stores after today (went three local malls as well as second-hand stores) and would prefer some online shopping. That said, I'm always worried about stuff not fitting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Thanks for all the kind words folks. :)

As clothing goes I am now looking for a new thigh-length slim fit peacoat. Need to get out and look for one. Also I need to start replacing my work chinos, they're all Banana Republic and they all developed weird creases below the belt-line and on the fly.

Mumei

I like that blazer. Where's it from?

MegalonJJ

Banned

Don't go dressed to work/school like that.

You'll get shredded for wearing a blazer with a henley (too hip/and some insults I won't repeat here etc).

From experience, the teachers that classmates didn't ever tear apart were the ones who wore suits that weren't associated with geography or latin teachers (i.e. ill fitting dull/old tweeds and corduroys).

Looking back, one teacher used to wear an exceptionally well cut suit, which we obviously didn't know back then, we just thought he was not to be messed with. His clothes were never mentioned.

Any teacher that wore a blazer without a (proper) shirt appeared to us to be trying too hard/hip and was given no quarter. (Unfortunate, but that's how it went). An exception was made for a maths teacher who was considered a drunk, so his cowboy boots, slacks and henleys were admired....lol.

tees? I just get target v's. I want to try some 'john elliott and co' but i am so lazy.

edit: to the dude who is having pants tucking issues (I don't remember who this was :/), it's 99.9% the rise of your pants being too low. The vast majority of dress shirts blouse outward around the lower waist and hip, which helps anchor the shirt when you tuck it in. If your pants are sitting on your hips, it will create either an unsightly muffin-y shape, or simply pop out all the time.

I will not be avatar quoted itt >:{

oh for button ups? Uh, the most I have personally paid was ... $200 sale price? The only time I've ever been tempted to go beyond that is for one of those gaudy but beautiful mcqueen bug print shirts. You can get a lot of really excellent shirts in the $90-$150 range constantly at yoox/etc, no real need to go beyond that for a casual button up unless you see something that stands out.

SeanR1221

Finally got a suit that fits me nicely. Actually got it from banana republic because I had 40% off. Thank god they had a 46 jacket. 44 was too small.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I will not be avatar quoted itt >:{

oh for button ups? Uh, the most I have personally paid was ... $200 sale price? The only time I've ever been tempted to go beyond that is for one of those gaudy but beautiful mcqueen bug print shirts. You can get a lot of really excellent shirts in the $90-$150 range constantly at yoox/etc, no real need to go beyond that for a casual button up unless you see something that stands out.

So I am guessing that there is no real standard for casual button ups below $90?

I was going super cheap and just getting things from H&M and CottonOn, but the fit is bad and they break really easily.

^^^ maybe, but here in america, depending on the locale, you'll probably get suit comments too. I don't think you can win against kids haha

Horse: N&F has some around $100-$120 that probably make it to sale here and there. I have just one, but it seems pretty sturdy and well put together.

But if you are trawling sales sites, mauro grifoni breh.

MegalonJJ

Banned
What's the age range for middle school? (Genuine question, as I'm unfamiliar with the US system)

Stylefox, generally the younger they are, the less the clothes matter but 13 and up....well...

I'd say you gotta wear a button down and some nice pants and shoes. It's his best bet. Also go untucked because a bunch of 12 year olds aren't gonna care or appreciate how well you tuck in your shirt.

In my experience I never once saw a k-12 teacher wearing a suit. Maybe the principal wore one sometimes not even sure about that one.

Unicorn

I'd say you gotta wear a button down and some nice pants and shoes. It's his best bet. Also go untucked because a bunch of 12 year olds aren't gonna care or appreciate how well you tuck in your shirt.
This was my plan.

Additionally, can anyone hook me up with links to affordable items that would fit within that criteria?

Also also, undergarments such as under shirts and underwear. What do

Middle school is actually more 12-14, but whatevs.

Looking at my teacher right now (I'm writing this in class), he's just wearing a button down and jeans, but I have some teachers that go full suit. It really doesn't matter to me, nor to any of my peers.

This is probably a dumb question... but ugly sweaters. Is there no hope for them?

Do I really just have to take it in stride and enjoy for what it is, or is there a way to make it look Manshion-GAF approved?

Laekon

Does anyone own a pair of Allen Edmond Promontory Point boots? I've been looking for a pair of casual black boots that can also work as for more formal occasion in a pinch while traveling. I'm also big on made in the US. The 1000 Miles always look to big and outdoor boot to me. Nordstrom's has this AE boot for $250.

allenedmonds_shoes_promontory-point_black_l.jpg

So at $55, could Everlane still be my best bet for basics? How much do you guys like to spend on shirts?

I would say J.crew has the cheapest best fitting shirts, considering you can get them for around 30 on sale with coupon codes. Also, all their shirts go on sale usually like 2 months after they release so never pay full price for them

tees? I just get target v's. I want to try some 'john elliott and co' but i am so lazy.

Cosign on Target v's. Their Mossimo tees are fantastic for $10, both crew and v, though crews seem to be a bit more inconsistent with their fit. Just wish they carried scoops.

Shoes are awesome. Link to anything similar?

In my experience teachers almost never wore suits throughout school.

I could be wrong, but they look like Clark's Desert Boots, or at least very similar.

ok noted. Additional suggestions would be great.

There's only one way to go, bro.

ibsAZmhMgM3sDg.jpg

An adult onesie. They have lots of dope ones out there, like fairisle onesies and shit. They make them in super hero themes (Batman/Superman) and even Star Wars or ones with animal hoods. You can even find them with the little attached booties. Def cop one (or two) for at home-wear.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Even better, get matching onesies for your roommates and/or significant other. Nothing says haute couture like three matching DC Universe onesies.

I was personally going to suggest flannel PJ bottoms. So dope.

This is probably a dumb question... but ugly sweaters. Is there no hope for them?

Do I really just have to take it in stride and enjoy for what it is, or is there a way to make it look Manshion-GAF approved?

http://www.tipsyelves.com/reindeer-games-christmas-sweater

Hoping someone can help me with this, what are the best options for everyday pants/trousers one can wear around the home ?

brunello cucinelli cashmere sweatpants

Yoshiya

For winter boots try some Red Wings. They're not too hard to get in Europe and around you're price range I think. If you want something cheaper you might like some Timberlands?

If you're going for Red Wings, don't go for a model with cork soles (like the iron ranger). They got decent grip with normal weather but become very slippery with snow/ice.

thanks for the tips, especially loving the rick owens lol. i found some diemme ones on sale (at caliroots, page is gone), which are to my taste and a little cheaper than some of the other options. most people seem to be pretty positive about them, any impressions here?

stylistically i'd lean those over most red wings, if the quality is there.

Mumei

So Mumei is now the resident Manshion mod?

I've read this entire topic and while I wasn't specifically looking for it I didn't see anything 'bad'... so I don't think I'd have much to do if I were!

Except for Style Fox not telling me about that blazer. :(

Top Bottom