• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

overcast

Any of you guys doing black friday for fashion? Think my mall will have some great deals, but not sure how much I care lol.

Got my new button up in, great stuff.

Mumei

i've got that one in medium, fits me pretty well, i'm 6'2 and average i guess

small would be safe, depends on how you want to wear it, it'll stretch with time, so if you want a more fitted look, small

Ah, yeah. Small will definitely work. I'm 5'7" and decidedly below average.

Hello Fashion Gaf. I'm currently working at a call center and they have a very strict professional etiquette. White/Black buttoned shirts, shoes, no jeans etc... except on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The thing is, I'm not used to those tucked in shirts and I don't want to look awkward or out of my element. (though I did receive a couple of compliments),

Basically I just want to look professional and sharp. Without breaking the budget of course, any tips?

rokkerkory

Hello fashiongaf... outfit of the day at work:

971465_10152013001398758_319241165_n.jpg

Hello Fashion Gaf. I'm currently working at a call center and they have a very strict professional etiquette. White/Black buttoned shirts, shoes, no jeans etc... except on Tuesdays and Fridays.

The thing is, I'm not used to those tucked in shirts and I don't want to look awkward or out of my element. (though I did receive a couple of compliments),

Basically I just want to look professional and sharp. Without breaking the budget of course, any tips?
I'm confused. Are you asking for clothing suggestions based on the dress code you have at your work place? Or ways you can get around wearing "those tucked in shirts?" If it's the latter, I don't really think you can. A dress code is pretty much a dress code. As for clothing suggestions, there are a bunch of budget friendly brands that you can start with. H&M and Uniqlo are probably the floor in terms of budget brands, with options like Zara, Banana Republic, and J. Crew ranging a little higher.

The most important thing you should be looking for is fit. A $20 shirt that fits well is a million times better than the $200 Italian made shirt that fits like a tent. Make sure everything is slim and that you don't have a lot of excess fabric flapping around. Grab yourself a nice grey suit, pair it with a white shirt and a tie of your choice and you're pretty much set. You can wear that suit with just about anything.

I'm confused. Are you asking for clothing suggestions based on the dress code you have at your work place? Or ways you can get around wearing "those tucked in shirts?" If it's the latter, I don't really think you can. A dress code is pretty much a dress code. As for clothing suggestions, there are a bunch of budget friendly brands that you can start with. H&M and Uniqlo are probably the floor in terms of budget brands, with options like Zara, Banana Republic, and J. Crew ranging a little higher.

The most important thing you should be looking for is fit. A $20 shirt that fits well is a million times better than the $200 Italian made shirt that fits like a tent. Make sure everything is slim and that you don't have a lot of excess fabric flapping around. Grab yourself a nice grey suit, pair it with a white shirt and a tie of your choice and you're pretty much set. You can wear that suit with just about anything.

Mostly a tip on how to wear it better. I don't usually wear tucked in shirts, so I have this problem in which I can either have it tight and barely more my arms and leave a bit of fabric and look like a deflated balloon, like I have a big belly or something. I don't know the terminology. I just don't want to look like an out of my element dork. I don't know an fashion terminology so pictures would be a great help.

Blackhead

Redarse

Mostly a tip on how to wear it better. I don't usually wear tucked in shirts, so I have this problem in which I can either have it tight and barely more my arms and leave a bit of fabric and look like a deflated balloon, like I have a big belly or something. I don't know the terminology. I just don't want to look like an out of my element dork. I don't know an fashion terminology so pictures would be a great help.

Go to the gym

Traditional Solution:
Use a Military Tuck (The Myth of the Slim Fit Shirt)
NB Sit Down in you shirt

Technical/Avant-garde solution:
Get a shirt from Outlier (pivot sleeve), Devoa, Aitor Throup, RO etc

Thank You, but the reason I came directly to Gaf and not check on sites. Is that there's a lot of terminology the use when describing the tucking methods that I just don't understand. And they are not a step by step graphic for people like me that don't even know what a Seam is. (English is not my first language)

Jme

Any tips on where I can find some decent Norwegian/Scandinavian sweaters (see: Dale, etc.) for considerably less money?

Bought a t-shirt from the UK and they sent the wrong color.

Bought it again to spare myself the nuisance and the fuckers sent the wrong one again.

Fuck youuuuuuuu.

Went to my tailor today. One again my lack of fashion terminology went out to bite me in the ass, he had no idea what I wanted. He told me the shirt I had was already a very tight fit and that it looked great.

So I'll ask again and I want even simpler answers please.

I don't want this.

Out of my element, children in an adult clothes look.

Nor do I want this.

Impossibly tight, not arm movement, supermodel fake look. (Like the problem I show before with shirts untucking if I lift my arms)

Not make it even tougher, like I say before I know nothing of fashion AND my computer can't load videos for some reason right now. Also I don't know what trousers mean so keep it simple. Like if you are teaching a 12 year old how to dress.

Going to a Tailor has failed also, the problem seems with either the way I tuck my shirt or the type of shirt I bought. Please Fashion Gods, I want to look awesome, I'm fresh out of college, it's time to dress professional.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So, this kind of relates to you all. As of today I officially have a girlfriend. This year has been crazy good for me and I think I owe some of it to you all. I've gone on dates with 3 different girls and finally got the one I've been trying for since January. I'd like to give Manshion Gaf props for helping to get my style straight, because it's one of the things she's complimented me on.

After losing 30 lbs 2 years back, and getting my style straight with help from here, this has been the best year in a long time. I'm finally clicking, and the confidence shows.

So props to you guys, and thanks for all the help. :)

So, this kind of relates to you all. As of today I officially have a girlfriend. This year has been crazy good for me and I think I owe some of it to you all. I've gone on dates with 3 different girls and finally got the one I've been trying for since January. I'd like to give Manshion Gaf props for helping to get my style straight, because it's one of the things she's complimented me on.

After losing 30 lbs 2 years back, and getting my style straight with help from here, this has been the best year in a long time. I'm finally clicking, and the confidence shows.

I wanna hear more stories like this.

Went to my tailor today. One again my lack of fashion terminology went out to bite me in the ass, he had no idea what I wanted. He told me the shirt I had was already a very tight fit and that it looked great.

So I'll ask again and I want even simpler answers please.

I don't want this.

Out of my element, children in an adult clothes look.

Nor do I want this.

Impossibly tight, not arm movement, supermodel fake look. (Like the problem I show before with shirts untucking if I lift my arms)

Not make it even tougher, like I say before I know nothing of fashion AND my computer can't load videos for some reason right now. Also I don't know what trousers mean so keep it simple. Like if you are teaching a 12 year old how to dress.

Going to a Tailor has failed also, the problem seems with either the way I tuck my shirt or the type of shirt I bought. Please Fashion Gods, I want to look awesome, I'm fresh out of college, it's time to dress professional.

Being tucked is very difficult. I personally can't do it no matter what I try.

Great story, congratulations.

I wanna hear more stories like this.

Being tucked is very difficult. I personally can't do it no matter what I try.

I see, yeah is biting me in the ass. Even worse, is apparently a good look for me, I got a few compliments but I don't feel comfortable.

Unicorn

I start my 2-year teaching internship in January and need to update my wardrobe. The first year and a half I'll be in the classroom 1-2 times a week; Dress is business casual.

Additionally, I wish to update my fashion sense to something more adult. I'm looking for pants or slacks as comfortable as jeans, but more classy. I'm also looking for a jacket (or two) that is an upgrade from the usual hoodies. Maybe something layered? For shoes, I love Osaka Tigers and similar fitting styles. General advice on shirts would be appreciated as well, but I feel I can usually get stuff women compliment me on
KuGsj.gif

This Christmas I'm asking only for money to go shopping for clothes. It's time to step my game up and level up my closet. Aside from that, I'd like to keep the outrageously priced articles of clothing to a minimum. I see a lot of 200+ jackets and overcoats posted and that's WAY out of budget for a burgeoning teacher.
KuGsj.gif

Thanks in advance for the help gentlemen.

Unicorn

Either middle school or high school.

I'm skimming through Uniqlo now, but I don't know what I think. I want to take this as an opportunity to start and progress from screened tees and jeans that I've been wearing forever. My dressier shirts from a couple years back no longer fit too.

I think I may be able to get away with denim, if it's dark and fits well. That said, I'm finding it hard finding colored jeans I like. I'm fairly picky, plus I've got some odd proportions. My torso is long and buying shirts has always been a pain. Either too short in the sleeve or torso.

I'm 6'2" about 190 lbs. I need to lose weight and tighten up, I know. Current Levi's are 32x33(or 34).

Button-up shirts are a must, but I'm very much on the untucked team. I love color and patterns, but again I'm pretty damn picky.

I just wanted to let you know that this week has been truly bad to me so I've been in a very bad mood.

Having said that, your story put such a big smile in my face that I even raised my arms in a "fuck yeah!!" way hahaha.

Congrats and keep getting a stronger confidence, you can bet it's what makes all the difference :)

This is fantastic, dude. Everyone in this thread knows how far you've come fashion-wise so it's great to hear other people appreciate it as well. Congratulations and keep up the positivity, it's inspiring.

Mr. F

Banned
I have a semi-formal string of dinner meetings this week to coordinate some stuff with faculty at my university, evening stuff with drinks and the like. Two questions, as my formal wardrobe is virtually non-existent;

1st: As it's semi-formal, are chinos acceptable for use with a shirt/tie? Dress pants crossed my mind, but I don't currently own a pair and likely wouldn't be able to find a good fit/quality with my barren student budget.

2nd: Is a pea coat good enough for layering? (I'd be removing it at the meeting of course). Can't afford a blazer either at the moment, but I do own cardigans and could spring for a vest if that's better than going without anything.

I apologize in advance for lack of flexibility with budget, hoping that I can work with what I've got.

Yoshiya

hey guys, it's been a while. i'm off to copenhagen in a few weeks for the next half a year and i'm having a wardrobe crisis. i'm australian so going into a danish winter is a daunting prospect. where should i start? i'm trying to find some non-hideous but hardy winter boots that i could wear all the time, any suggestions?

probably black, $150-$400. i'm after a new duffle coat as well, i love the look of this season's APC but i just can't quite deal with the price tag.

thx.

Courage

Can you guys educate me on fashion? Why is everything in the OP so expensive? My hot coworker told me it'd be a good idea to start with Macys, H&M and Express.

How come no one mentioned this before? The mac sneaker.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-va...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_1_A

Can you guys educate me on fashion? Why is everything in the OP so expensive? My hot coworker told me it'd be a good idea to start with Macys, H&M and Express.

Usually H&M is really cheap quality and express too. Macys is alright depending on the person and the macys store you go to but we just prefer other places. We strive for quality even if it means paying more.

Also, click on more links because there are places where things are cheaper. It's a good mix.

hey guys, it's been a while. i'm off to copenhagen in a few weeks for the next half a year and i'm having a wardrobe crisis. i'm australian so going into a danish winter is a daunting prospect. where should i start? i'm trying to find some non-hideous but hardy winter boots that i could wear all the time, any suggestions?

probably black, $150-$400. i'm after a new duffle coat as well, i love the look of this season's APC but i just can't quite deal with the price tag.

thx.

wow that APC jacket is the one ive been looking for.

dat price tag though

Antagon

thx.

For winter boots try some Red Wings. They're not too hard to get in Europe and around you're price range I think. If you want something cheaper you might like some Timberlands?

If you're going for Red Wings, don't go for a model with cork soles (like the iron ranger). They got decent grip with normal weather but become very slippery with snow/ice.

thx.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/20591M/0/Mens/Mens-1000-Mile-Boot?dimensions=0

I have a semi-formal string of dinner meetings this week to coordinate some stuff with faculty at my university, evening stuff with drinks and the like. Two questions, as my formal wardrobe is virtually non-existent;

1st: As it's semi-formal, are chinos acceptable for use with a shirt/tie? Dress pants crossed my mind, but I don't currently own a pair and likely wouldn't be able to find a good fit/quality with my barren student budget.

2nd: Is a pea coat good enough for layering? (I'd be removing it at the meeting of course). Can't afford a blazer either at the moment, but I do own cardigans and could spring for a vest if that's better than going without anything.

I apologize in advance for lack of flexibility with budget, hoping that I can work with what I've got.
I think chinos could work. Assuming they're not an outlandish color and they fit well, I don't see the problem. Depending on the rest of your outfit I'm sure you can get away with it.

As for the pea coat, it's not ideal, but again, I'm sure it would work. Ideally you'd have it over a blazer or something. Because the event you're attending isn't super formal I doubt it'll be an issue. Just make sure you actually take it off when you get indoors, don't sit there with it on pretending it's a blazer.

Mac's secretly been designing for Varvatos all this time. Figures he'd shamelessly name one after himself.

+1 for this recommendation. Best boots I've ever owned. Not sure how they'll hold up with snow but I've decent things.

If their clothes are anything like their bags then absolutely. Great minimalist design for an absurdly low price.

Their weekender bag trumps anything in that price range if you ask me.

Was rocking a 3 piece the other night for the work dinner. Felt a bit dressed up at the after party but in a good way.
Looking good man. Digging the shirt and color combo.

No offense man but it would probably look better if you wear it without a pokemon shirt.

I REALLY hope you don't wear anything like that to your teaching job.

Unicorn

No offense man but it would probably look better if you wear it without a pokemon shirt.

I REALLY hope you don't wear anything like that to your teaching job.

Haha, no joke.

I was just wearing that shirt while running errands today. Not something I'd wear with the jacket, but aside from that, what would look good with it?

Top Bottom