• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

MegalonJJ

Banned
Ah, I apologise, I'm not familiar with Macy's.

Edit:

I've got an event coming up, where the dress code is strictly black tie (read: tuxedo).

I'm thinking of rocking this blazer, in part due to the moire lapels, what do you guys reckon?

82e728d65ef3dfeacbebdda8d092de303c4a1eb0

I don't have any formalwear. I am suddenly in need of a suit. What's the best place for somebody who is broke to get a suit? I'm going to an interview so it's important that I look good, but that doesn't change the fact that I have no money.

If your going to an interview and dont have a suit, all you need to wear is a shirt and tie with dress pants.

I don't have any formalwear. I am suddenly in need of a suit. What's the best place for somebody who is broke to get a suit? I'm going to an interview so it's important that I look good, but that doesn't change the fact that I have no money.
Again, I'd recommend looking into Zara and Topman (if you can fit it). Also J. Crew and Banana Republic if you can find them on sale. Shouldn't be too much of an issue given this time of year. A J. Crew suit for $300 for instance is a steal.

So, something like this then? Would it be fitted enough? It'll be interesting ordering a blazer online. May need to dig up my measurements and hope they didn't change. I'll also need to grab new black pants. Have to see how slim the jacket is first. Also shoes. This may be an expensive shopping day.

EDIT: Ordered the Zara blazer. Hopefully it works on me. Fallback in the JCP one since I can buy it locally. Now for new dress pants and shoes... Any good deals?
I wouldn't have recommended you buy the blazer online, but I guess it's too late now. Blazers are one of the most difficult things to fit off the rack, hence why they're almost always tailored after purchasing. There are so many factors that make up a good fit on a blazer, so many brands that vary their fits, and so many different cuts. I'd always recommend, at the very least, visiting a department store and trying on a couple brands/sizes to get familiar with how certain fabrics feel and how brands vary.

Hopefully you get lucky and get shipped one that fits you well from the start, but don't be surprised if you have to send it back and/or get a good amount of alterations done.

If your going to an interview and dont have a suit, all you need to wear is a shirt and tie with dress pants.
Definitely not true. If it's a professional level job then you're going to be docked points right off the bat.

Depends on the profession. My company specifically told me not to wear a suit when I interviewed
Absolutely, and there are certainly some companies that prefer more of a casual dress anyway, but if he knows he needs a suit for his interview (which is what it sounds like), then I don't think it would be wise to skimp out on getting one.

Salazar

Do you have it?

Naw, it's comin.

What do you think of her stuff fit/quality-wise?

First MHL I've bought. I tried on some of the jackets a couple of years ago, but (as well as being too expensive, beyond the entry-level boxy ones) my brain goes totally blank when I'm in a store looking around for things. Ideal fashion mindset is detached as fuck. I do know that my arms are a bit puny for their general shape, but that's on me.

I'm probably a small but I've gone medium. Gonna wear (blue) jackets over it.

Bumhead

Banned
Right so I have a navy blazer for a work Christmas party tomorrow, to be worn with shoes and a white or light blue shirt.

What do I go with for the bottom half? Was thinking either a standard pair of blue jeans or a darker/navy trousers?

friday

Anyone here have experience with unbranded's black denim? I want some more black jeans but don't really want to spend more than $100

Yoshiya

Anyone here have experience with unbranded's black denim? I want some more black jeans but don't really want to spend more than $100

this is a good question. I ordered a couple of unbranded pairs recently (heavyweight indigo skinny + tapered pale chino), but I did consider the black denim as my second pair but wasn't feeling the dye job. dunno, overdyed black is at least safe.

i liked the "black" of my (sadly departed) APCs, anyone know how it compares?

Does anyone have advice on chinos that aren't complete dogshit in quality? I've had 2 pairs of Dockers rip in unsalvageable ways (as well as fraying legs and other bullshit), and I wasn't happy with the weird cut they had (tighter below the waist.) They didn't even last 9 months.

I'd also love a good formal boot suggestion. My workplace has no casual Friday, so something dressy would be nice.

dunno what your budget is but i picked up a pair of lanvin slim chinos in the summer and they've been fine so far (admittedly i only wear them to work and only had them for a few months). as far as boots go chelsea boots are safe bet

this is a good question. I ordered a couple of unbranded pairs recently (heavyweight indigo skinny + tapered pale chino), but I did consider the black denim as my second pair but wasn't feeling the dye job. dunno, overdyed black is at least safe.

i liked the "black" of my (sadly departed) APCs, anyone know how it compares?

Ive seen them once, they look like black raws if you know what I mean. They dont look like overdyed black jeans like naked and famous.

The picture on their website is pretty accurate for the color

ub104_8.jpg

dunno what your budget is but i picked up a pair of lanvin slim chinos in the summer and they've been fine so far (admittedly i only wear them to work and only had them for a few months). as far as boots go chelsea boots are safe bet
Cheers for the boot suggestion. Just Googled Lanvin, looks like they're quite out of my range. Maybe in the future.

Could probably swing these. Thanks. :)

Ah, I apologise, I'm not familiar with Macy's.

Edit:

I've got an event coming up, where the dress code is strictly black tie (read: tuxedo).

I'm thinking of rocking this blazer, in part due to the moire lapels, what do you guys reckon?

82e728d65ef3dfeacbebdda8d092de303c4a1eb0

viktor and rolf make nice black tie that is both traditional and a little kooky. But if they are strict about the framework, maybe a midnight blue tux? Will look a little different but not odd. I've been eying one myself, anyway.

overcast

I have an "interview" in my class today. I'm sure it isn't super critically graded or anything, but I'm supposed to be dressed as I'm going to a real professional interview.

I have a blazer and a dress shirt. Vest, or no vest?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Holiday party time! We're having our company's holiday party tonight and this is how I intend to show up. I broke my rule of only wearing a maximum of three patterns/prints in an outfit, but I really wanted to drop in a pocket square and didn't think it would clash with the rest of my outfit. Thoughts?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I wouldn't have recommended you buy the blazer online, but I guess it's too late now. Blazers are one of the most difficult things to fit off the rack, hence why they're almost always tailored after purchasing. There are so many factors that make up a good fit on a blazer, so many brands that vary their fits, and so many different cuts. I'd always recommend, at the very least, visiting a department store and trying on a couple brands/sizes to get familiar with how certain fabrics feel and how brands vary.

Hopefully you get lucky and get shipped one that fits you well from the start, but don't be surprised if you have to send it back and/or get a good amount of alterations done.

Yeah, it's a risk, but I have time to work with. If it doesn't work I'll send back and try the local spots. It doesn't need to be an amazing perfect fit right off, just work. I can maybe get it tailored if needed.

Misterhbk

Don't buy Doublju. Fits horribly, bad quality and they photoshop their jackets to get those fits.

bah, that makes sense with that price. looks so damn good. wish i would have seen this thread ages ago. i'll be keeping an eye out for something similar.

friday

Man, why is it those jackets are the most sought after things in this thread. Nothing in the OP or stuff we post.

Some dude at work was telling me how he was into fashion design. Had all these ideas for how he wanted things. Said he had some pictures of his stuff, but they were literally the same exact pictures used in those eBay ads. I just said "oh, cool".

They're a pretty nice alternative from their standard Indigo. In fact, if you were to take a photo of their standard Indigo denim and run it through a black and white photo filter, that's essentially what you get in return (has a nice blue selvedge though). The photo posted a few posts up is pretty much identical to what they look like in person.

Not many places do a black warp/white weft nowadays, so if that's what you're looking for, then it's a good option. Certainly the best option for the price.

what's the fit like on unbranded?
It's typically pretty good. Their Tapered and Skinny fit similar to Naked & Famous' Weird and Skinny Guy fits, respectively.

With that said, don't order Unbranded from a website right now unless they give you measurements ahead of time. The Unbranded factory recently changed their fits and some are as much as 3" larger than tag size in the waist. If you want to order their stuff, email the store you're buying from ahead of time and ask for measurements to make sure you get the right fit.

I have an "interview" in my class today. I'm sure it isn't super critically graded or anything, but I'm supposed to be dressed as I'm going to a real professional interview.

I have a blazer and a dress shirt. Vest, or no vest?
No on the vest unless it was originally part of the suit. Less is more on this occasion.

Holiday party time! We're having our company's holiday party tonight and this is how I intend to show up. I broke my rule of only wearing a maximum of three patterns/prints in an outfit, but I really wanted to drop in a pocket square and didn't think it would clash with the rest of my outfit. Thoughts?
Not bad. Too many patterns going on for my personal taste. I think it would look better with a pin-dot tie rather than the plaid stripes.

you should add a disclaimer in the OP not to buy those jackets.
This. It was going to be in the thread title at one point. Needs to be in the OP at least.

dpatel304

Please be kind, this is one of my first serious attempts at being stylish. In the past I would usually go for budget over style. I'd shop at decent stores and buy decent clothes, but wouldn't think about how it would look on me, how the fit is, or what I would wear it with. If it was something from a designer store and on sale, I would buy it and try and make it work. Anyway, I recently bought some new clothes, and I want you guys to rate/critique/suggest stuff for me:
865tz5I.jpg

kUlPIeH.jpg

I was complimented a couple times, so I figured I was doing something right. I've always been bad at picking good clothing, so I generally try and just emulate what I see on other people. Also, thanks to this thread, I've begun tailoring stuff more which makes a HUGE difference. Jeans and jacket were both tailored.

friday

They're a pretty nice alternative from their standard Indigo. In fact, if you were to take a photo of their standard Indigo denim and run it through a black and white photo filter, that's essentially what you get in return (has a nice blue selvedge though). The photo posted a few posts up is pretty much identical to what they look like in person.

Not many places do a black warp/white weft nowadays, so if that's what you're looking for, then it's a good option.

Good to know, the more I look at them the more I like the idea of a non over dyed black denim. Hard to argue on the price also. I would assume blueowl's sizing is up to date?

Anyway, I recently bought some new clothes, and I want you guys to rate/critique/suggest stuff for me.

I would say size down on the sweater next time, but everything else looks good. My general rule of thumb for trying clothes on is to keep sizing down till it is too tight and then go back one.

Please be kind, this is one of my first serious attempts at being stylish. In the past I would usually go for budget over style. I'd shop at decent stores and buy decent clothes, but wouldn't think about how it would look on me, how the fit is, or what I would wear it with. If it was something from a designer store and on sale, I would buy it and try and make it work. Anyway, I recently bought some new clothes, and I want you guys to rate/critique/suggest stuff for me:
865tz5I.jpg

kUlPIeH.jpg

I was complimented a couple times, so I figured I was doing something right. I've always been bad at picking good clothing, so I generally try and just emulate what I see on other people. Also, thanks to this thread, I've begun tailoring stuff more which makes a HUGE difference. Jeans and jacket were both tailored.

collared button up shirt instead of the white T under the sweater is what I would wear

Like the other guys have said, the sweater is about one size too big. Jeans could definitely be hemmed as well, but why not try a double cuff? That would fix the length issue and I think it'd look good with both of the outfits you've displayed.

Otherwise, everything is fine. Always good to see new faces in here so don't hesitate to post more fashion questions/pics.

Good to know, the more I look at them the more I like the idea of a non over dyed black denim. Hard to argue on the price also. I would assume blueowl's sizing is up to date?
For the old production, yes. We've gone through and marked most of the jeans that were abnormally large, so you should be safe to order. If you want measurements of all of the individual jeans of a certain size, you're welcome to email us as well.

royalan

collared button up shirt instead of the white T under the sweater is what I would wear

That sweater is funny...

It does look a bit baggy without the jacket. But WITH the jacket it's perfect. Just the right amount of fitted and casual bagginess. Funny how that works. Think it might be the sleeves.

Love the pants (you can tell they've been tailored). Love the fit of the coat.

Next time either wear a collard shirt or a v-neck though

going to japan+korea soon

any hawte stores i shit hit up, manshiongaf?

you can buy julius in japan for like half as much as it costs in america.

oh! japan is basically the only place you can find soloist stuff. at least, i have a dozy of a time finding it in america.

Kyne

$(KGrHqZHJB!FGm4h+F)wBRyDUq3E0!~~60_3.JPG

I need this in my life. in black.

EDIT; but why is it only 8 bucks? what tomfoolery is this?

a lot of this cheap stuff is quite literally shitty, however I need to clarify a few things...

this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fashion...=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=&hash=item2584dd25a4
(your jackets pictured)

.. is not by Doublju. Doublju is actually a very commendable brand if (like me) you're stuck at an awkward slim size that fits right under a standard US Small, or if you have a muscular/lean build in general. If you're going to buy ANY kind of asian/overseas clothing it's best to do it off Amazon. The reviews and star-rating on Amazon won't hold back on their opinions. If something is bought 20+ times and it has a 4/5 star rating, chances are it's a pretty decent item.

a lot of the Doublju styling is compared to Converse because of the dark colors and random asymmetrical/zipper placement. A quick look at their Amazon page will tell you that a lot of their stuff is rated pretty high.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZMJEMS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZMJGI0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom