• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I need black work shoes but don't have a ton to spend, suggestions? I'd like them to be able to go with chinos and dress pants depending on what I wear. I find some shoes look to dressy for chinos, so I need to find something that can work both ways.

So I need black work shoes but don't have a ton to spend, suggestions? I'd like them to be able to go with chinos and dress pants depending on what I wear. I find some shoes look to dressy for chinos, so I need to find something that can work both ways.
Florsheims look pretty nice and aren't too expensive

MegalonJJ

Banned
viktor and rolf make nice black tie that is both traditional and a little kooky. But if they are strict about the framework, maybe a midnight blue tux? Will look a little different but not odd. I've been eying one myself, anyway.

Not really digging Viktor and Rolf. That said, the BubBub sale went live earlier and...well...the "add to basket" went a bit nutty...oops

Need some quick yay/nays: formal suit and tie event. Went with black suit, white shirt to be conservative (not sure how others would go.) Blue cardigan over shirt, under suit jacket, for warmth and style. Yes/no?

personally, i'd go with a grey suit if you were going to wear a blue cardigan. generally, suits are fairly warm on their own. if the event is going to be outside, perhaps wear a topcoat?

Need some quick yay/nays: formal suit and tie event. Went with black suit, white shirt to be conservative (not sure how others would go.) Blue cardigan over shirt, under suit jacket, for warmth and style. Yes/no?
Doesn't sound like a good mix. Since it's a formal event, ditch the cardigan. The colors wouldn't work together anyway.

zeopower6

I need to figure out what I can wear this henley shirt with. :( I mean, it looks okay on its own, but I'm unsure about what can be paired with it without looking too chunky. I assume a pullover sweater would work well but I am thinking about options beyond that. Any suggestions?

I need to figure out what I can wear this henley shirt with. :( I mean, it looks okay on its own, but I'm unsure about what can be paired with it without looking too chunky. I assume a pullover sweater would work well but I am thinking about options beyond that. Any suggestions?
shearling and/or denim truckers, plaid/chambray shirts and shirt-jackets, vintage-y looking leather motos and riders. henleys to me say 'classic americana' to some degree, so mine that kind of look for ideas.

Denim jacket, denim/chambray buttonup, plaid/flannel button up, cardigan, varsity/bomber

zeopower6

shearling and/or denim truckers, plaid/chambray shirts and shirt-jackets, vintage-y looking leather motos and riders. henleys to me say 'classic americana' to some degree, so mine that kind of look for ideas.

Denim jacket, denim/chambray buttonup, plaid/flannel button up, cardigan, varsity/bomber

Thanks for the suggestions, already got a few of those! Will probably buy a bomber at some point and for now will just pair it with a flannel I got recently.

Target tees <3.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't see this before leaving, but gut said not to so I left it.

Still have a lot to learn about colors.

Really the best way to figure out if two colors work is to look at yourself in the mirror to figure out how it looks. I also visualize a color wheel in my head sometimes to figure out if colors work together. It's something that you'll acquire over time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My Zara blazer is in and it fits surprisingly well. Only issue is that when I button it, it's too tight in the midsection. Is that something that can be tailored? That's pretty much the only thing that doesn't fit with it, otherwise it looks good. Fits well when not buttoned.

If not I may return and size up. The shipping was very quick.

EDIT: I'm returning it for the next size up.

Which one?
jPtgilPLQLyZS.PNG

or

j2Z5wkuXpuu8P.PNG

J.Crew's slim chinos are fantastic, really nice, broken in feel. I also really like the fit of Dockers Alpha Khakis.

Make sure you get the 484 fit as the urban slim fit arent that slim and fit awkwardly on me.

My Zara blazer is in and it fits surprisingly well. Only issue is that when I button it, it's too tight in the midsection. Is that something that can be tailored? That's pretty much the only thing that doesn't fit with it, otherwise it looks good. Fits well when not buttoned.

If not I may return and size up. The shipping was very quick.

EDIT: I'm returning it for the next size up.

Blazers are supposed to pinch in a bit in the middle to drape properly and create an x across your torso. You should post a pic.

rokkerkory

What kind of slim straight jeans do you guys recommend for a relatively slim guy?

I am 30x30 in most brands and prefer 15-16in leg opening max with no taper. I do not have a big rear so prefer it slim there as well.

It's so tremendously hard for me to find the right fit, it's frustrating. I do not care too much about price.

What kind of slim straight jeans do you guys recommend for a relatively slim guy?

I am 30x30 in most brands and prefer 15-16in leg opening max with no taper. I do not have a big rear so prefer it slim there as well.

It's so tremendously hard for me to find the right fit, it's frustrating. I do not care too much about price.

Slim, but not too skinny, and not caring about price? Try Acne Max Cash.

http://shop.acnestudios.com/shop/denim-guide/ace.html

Or if you want to go really baller, Dior Homme.

EDIT: 15-16 inch hem? Do you mean 15-16cm? I'd say that's more skinny than slim, and if that's the case, I'd point you to Saint Laurent.

rokkerkory

Slim, but not too skinny, and not caring about price? Try Acne Max Cash.

http://shop.acnestudios.com/shop/denim-guide/ace.html

Or if you want to go really baller, Dior Homme.

EDIT: 15-16 inch hem? Do you mean 15-16cm? I'd say that's more skinny than slim, and if that's the case, I'd point you to Saint Laurent.

Thank you will check all these out.

Yeah, I did mean 15-16 inch leg opening (at the ankle). I also heard APC is good?

Thank you will check all these out.

Yeah, I did mean 15-16 inch leg opening (at the ankle). I also heard APC is good?

15-16 inch is a huuuuuge leg opening. I can't even think of a jean that has a hem of over a foot. I've heard good things about APC, but I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation. You might also want to try Naked and Famous, Men's Fashion OT's current favorite denim brand.

rokkerkory

15-16 inch is a huuuuuge leg opening. I can't even think of a jean that has a hem of over a foot. I've heard good things about APC, but I don't know enough about them to make a recommendation. You might also want to try Naked and Famous, Men's Fashion OT's current favorite denim brand.

Really? Most of my slim jeans are 16in or less. Here is example of APC with 16in:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/a-p-c-p..._sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_10_A

Edit: Will take a look at Naked and Famous! :)

Top Bottom