• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Alucrid

Banned
i tried a pair of the lace ups from barneys, fit was whack though. i kinda want these, but they're not in my size (butteros)

BTRSHO009_1.jpg

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Girlfriend and I were watching Sherlock last night and she noted she likes Cumberbatch's look when he rocks the black pants/coat with a dark purple button up under. Pic below. Where would be the best place to get a slim fit/fitted blazer/whatever and not spend a ton? I'd like to rock something like it for her Xmas party for work. :)

Something like this, but it was a dark purple shirt.

EDIT: Thinking of this one. May go try it on.

http://www.jcpenney.com/men/sale/jf...ts/black/slim/_/N-1nopeuZ12zZ1z140iu/cat.jump

DP0213201317013738M.tif

f0rk

Stupid question - my suit jacket was taliored when I bought it to what the shop assistant recommended but the sleeves are too short. Is it possible to have them extended again at a tailor? Like do they cut material away or will it have been folded into the sleeve or whatever. The place I bought it isn't convenient.

Stupid question - my suit jacket was taliored when I bought it to what the shop assistant recommended but the sleeves are too short. Is it possible to have them extended again at a tailor? Like do they cut material away or will it have been folded into the sleeve or whatever. The place I bought it isn't convenient.
Usually there is enough to pull it out about 1/2", maybe an inch.

SeanR1221

Ok guys opinion time. Target shirts are on sale. Large on the left XL on right. Which fits better?

I'm leaning towards XL because I'm sure they'll shrink a little and I feel like the large just fits.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Girlfriend and I were watching Sherlock last night and she noted she likes Cumberbatch's look when he rocks the black pants/coat with a dark purple button up under. Pic below. Where would be the best place to get a slim fit/fitted blazer/whatever and not spend a ton? I'd like to rock something like it for her Xmas party for work. :)

http://www.jcpenney.com/men/sale/jf...ts/black/slim/_/N-1nopeuZ12zZ1z140iu/cat.jump

DP0213201317013738M.tif

False economy.

For that style, I would recommend getting measured at Maurice Sedwell. The wait will probably be 2-3months, but it'll last a lot longer.

DP0213201317013738M.tif

Topman is pretty cheap and fits slim as fuck

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
False economy.

For that style, I would recommend getting measured at Maurice Sedwell. The wait will probably be 2-3months, but it'll last a lot longer.

I don't have 3 months nor the amount of money I assume that would cost. I just want something that looks close to the style and fits well.

Topman is pretty cheap and fits slim as fuck

I'll check them out.

So far that one in the photo is my choice. I'll try it on sometime.

topman definitely looks a lot more 'slick' than anything you'll find at jc penny. don't know what he wears exactly in that photo, but he wears spencer hart all the time, so you'll definitely want to fall on the that side of the line.

DP0213201317013738M.tif
I think your best bet is going to be Zara. I don't think you'll be able to fit Topman. You have to be built like a twig to fit Topman.

I'm extremely late to the party but this jacket is fucking incredible. Where can I get it or one like it?
Don't believe the lies. Those jackets are complete garbage.

got that Everlane bag. It's a little bigger than I thought it would be. Very nice.
The weekender? Good choice. Which color did you get?

Does anyone have advice on chinos that aren't complete dogshit in quality? I've had 2 pairs of Dockers rip in unsalvageable ways (as well as fraying legs and other bullshit), and I wasn't happy with the weird cut they had (tighter below the waist.) They didn't even last 9 months.

I'd also love a good formal boot suggestion. My workplace has no casual Friday, so something dressy would be nice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone have advice on chinos that aren't complete dogshit in quality? I've had 2 pairs of Dockers rip in unsalvageable ways (as well as fraying legs and other bullshit), and I wasn't happy with the weird cut they had (tighter below the waist.) They didn't even last 9 months.

I'd also love a good formal boot suggestion. My workplace has no casual Friday, so something dressy would be nice.

I have chinos from Polo Ralph Lauren that have weathered two years and are still going strong.

I also have colored chinos from H&M and Banana Republic that fit better, but I've only had them for a year so I don't know how sturdy they are.

I think your best bet is going to be Zara. I don't think you'll be able to fit Topman. You have to be built like a twig to fit Topman.

Don't believe the lies. Those jackets are complete garbage.

The weekender? Good choice. Which color did you get?
I got a jacket from Zara last week and it fits great and it was $100.

I got the reverse denim.

Man, every time you guys post awesome looking shit, all I can think of is how god damn terrible I'd look in it. I can't pull off anything.

I have chinos from Polo Ralph Lauren that have weathered two years and are still going strong.

I also have colored chinos from H&M and Banana Republic that fit better, but I've only had them for a year so I don't know how sturdy they are.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to take a look.

Man, every time you guys post awesome looking shit, all I can think of is how god damn terrible I'd look in it. I can't pull off anything.
believe in yourself bro

a button fell off my coat, got caught on a railing. fortunately I was about 100 feet from my usual dry cleaner, and she put it back on while I waited. crisis averted.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I lurk this thread quite a bit, but I don't think I've posted but once or twice.

Anyhoo - sorry to be show-y - but while at work, a co-worker and I took an impromptu cheesy Christmas photo on whim, and I ended up really liking it. After taking a look, I realized I actually pulled off the sweater pretty well (I think - I'm fine with some criticism). I normally wear a pressed button down dress shirt - usually Express or BR.

11302363395_3193cac2ed_z.jpg

The only sweaters I can ever seem to find that fit right are either from Express (XL), but the quality is garbage and they go to shit after a couple washes; and J Crew, but they're expensive as hell most the time. Any other places I should take a look? Banana is okay, but seems to run a bit long. I'm a bigger guy (6'2, 250) with decently defined chest and arms - but the gut kills me when I wear anything too tight.

Kwixotik

I don't have any formalwear. I am suddenly in need of a suit. What's the best place for somebody who is broke to get a suit? I'm going to an interview so it's important that I look good, but that doesn't change the fact that I have no money.

giga

I don't have any formalwear. I am suddenly in need of a suit. What's the best place for somebody who is broke to get a suit? I'm going to an interview so it's important that I look good, but that doesn't change the fact that I have no money.
Buying things requires money. Maybe borrow one from a friend.

Bumhead

Banned
Quick bit of advice required.

Got a Christmas party on Friday and I want to pick up a blazer for it. Been wanting one for a while. More than likely a grey or dark/navy one, either with a shirt or v-neck t-shirt underneath.

Along the lines of one of the following:

image1xl.jpg

image1xl.jpg

What sort of colours am I looking at? I was going to go with either a white or light blue shirt or a darker coloured v-neck T. Also what's the best way to go with trousers? Was just going to go with a dark pair of jeans and either brown or black shoes.

Could always just go for whats in those exact pictures but they don't always give you a great idea of what's going on with the full outfit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

So, something like this then? Would it be fitted enough? It'll be interesting ordering a blazer online. May need to dig up my measurements and hope they didn't change. I'll also need to grab new black pants. Have to see how slim the jacket is first. Also shoes. This may be an expensive shopping day.

http://www.zara.com/us/en/man/blazers/black-basic-blazer-c269232p1668281.html

EDIT: Ordered the Zara blazer. Hopefully it works on me. Fallback in the JCP one since I can buy it locally. Now for new dress pants and shoes... Any good deals?

MegalonJJ

Banned

Burberry London is pretty good (and I've heard good things about Paul Smith). Norton & Sons is excellent if you want to get an exceptionally well cut suit.

Skel1ingt0n looks good but I would either ditch the jeans cuff with dress shoes, or get jeans with a narrower hem. looks off.
Burberry London is pretty good (and I've heard good things about Paul Smith). Norton & Sons is excellent if you want to get an exceptionally well cut suit.
"no money" isn't "can spend $1,500+ on a suit" :p

MegalonJJ

Banned
I can't recommend Marks and Spencer suits.

I was forced to go in the store recently and I'll be honest, it made feel very unpleasant. I want Kwixotik to have a pleasant experience.

Also, my Anthony Sinclair blazer should be ready soon. The quality, or more importantly the fit (& comfort) at the last fitting was beyond the stuff I've tried at even Prorsum and TF.

Top Bottom