• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

friday

Denim bummer, the unbranded black jeans are sold out everywhere and apparently they have been discontinued. I was really digging the look of those too. I don't know anywhere else to get black selvedge denim for that $80ish price range either, anyone got a suggestion for me? I know Club Monaco has some black jeans, are any of their cuts like the Weird Guy?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I plan to show off my full Manshion-helped transformation that's happened over the past year or two when my girl and I get photos at her swanky holiday party in Jan, but I wanted to post a preview here today just for the hell of it.

Thanks to all you guys and your tips (along with some work from myself) I am now in much better shape, I own nice clothes, and I have that girl that I wanted. :p

Me, in 2010.

19166_714197555380_4602444_n.jpg

Me this week (2013). (Sorry for the photo effects, you'll have to wait for the party to see the full details).

:D

Lamel

Banned
Alright fashion GAF, I have returned for some more sage advice from you guys.

I will be having interviews and networking events to go to soon. Problem is, I don't have any suits, at all, and don't know a thing about suit shopping for business professional attire.

Another problem is that I am rather poor.

So help me out here, where can I start looking for good looking, affordable suits for business professional purposes? I am a slim guy as well.

giga

I will be having interviews and networking events to go to soon. Problem is, I don't have any suits, at all, and don't know a thing about suit shopping for business professional attire.

So help me out here, where can I start looking for good looking, affordable suits for business professional purposes? I am a slim guy as well.
Go to JCP and check out their Stafford suits or Macy's and their Bar III suits. Try and find one that is 100% wool.

Go with navy or charcoal.

Antagon

As a Dutch guy I might not be the most objective, but Suit Supply is generally good value. There's not a whole lot of stores in the US yet though, but if there's one nearby it's worth a visit.

Keep in mind though that it's still not dirt cheap, with us prices starting at around 400$ or so. But for that money you get a well finished half canvassed suit with a good cut that should last you for a long time. Just make sure you get one of their more conservative suits, as some of their more fashion forward suits won't work too well in a business setting.

MegalonJJ

Banned

I'd certainly recommend getting a top quality suit that will last you a lifetime, and I think you should consider getting measured at Timothy Everest.

So I plan to show off my full Manshion-helped transformation that's happened over the past year or two when my girl and I get photos at her swanky holiday party in Jan, but I wanted to post a preview here today just for the hell of it.

Thanks to all you guys and your tips (along with some work from myself) I am now in much better shape, I own nice clothes, and I have that girl that I wanted. :p

Me, in 2010.

Me this week (2013). (Sorry for the photo effects, you'll have to wait for the party to see the full details).

Looking sharp!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Me, in 2010.

Damn, what a regression. You looked so much more baller in your hoodie and cap.

Me, in 2010.

Looking great, dude. Major improvement.

Lamel

Banned
Go to JCP and check out their Stafford suits or Macy's and their Bar III suits. Try and find one that is 100% wool.

Go with navy or charcoal.

As a Dutch guy I might not be the most objective, but Suit Supply is generally good value. There's not a whole lot of stores in the US yet though, but if there's one nearby it's worth a visit.

Keep in mind though that it's still not dirt cheap, with us prices starting at around 400$ or so. But for that money you get a well finished half canvassed suit with a good cut that should last you for a long time. Just make sure you get one of their more conservative suits, as some of their more fashion forward suits won't work too well in a business setting.

I'd certainly recommend getting a top quality suit that will last you a lifetime, and I think you should consider getting measured at Timothy Everest.

Thank you for all the advice guys!

These Johnston & Murphy shoes are on sale for $130 CAD. Should I buy them?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1010&pid=97833&VID=97822&SEARCH=strap

154813_master
154813_master_1

There's black and there's burgundy, and I'm leaning towards the burgundy ones. I've never bought monk strap shoes before, but these are reduced from $225 and I've always kinda dug the design of monks. Worth it?

Edit: Well, I ordered them. I take one blind shot in the dark a year, and I guess this is 2013's. It's a better price than most monks I've seen, either in store (>$200 at the Bay) or online (shipping is such a killer). For these J&M shoes, shipping was a flat $10 to Canada, with the shoes $130. From what I'm reading, J&M's a decent company.

Did I make a mistake? I do think they look pretty sharp.

giga

These Johnston & Murphy shoes are on sale for $130 CAD. Should I buy them?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1010&pid=97833&VID=97822&SEARCH=strap

154813_master
154813_master_1

There's black and there's burgundy, and I'm leaning towards the burgundy ones. I've never bought monk strap shoes before, but these are reduced from $225 and I've always kinda dug the design of monks. Worth it?

Edit: Well, I ordered them. I take one blind shot in the dark a year, and I guess this is 2013's. It's a better price than most monks I've seen, either in store (>$200 at the Bay) or online (shipping is such a killer). For these J&M shoes, shipping was a flat $10 to Canada, with the shoes $130. From what I'm reading, J&M's a decent company.

Did I make a mistake? I do think they look pretty sharp.
Not a fan of the brogue detail on the cap toe personally. But I do like monks.

love the fit of hollister t-shirts.

getting a little addiction!
As long as there's no obnoxious logo..

Not a fan of the brogue detail on the cap toe personally. But I do like monks.

Yeah I'm not a gigantic fan either, but I'll give them a shot. I do genuinely prefer plain shoes, not the fancy brogues.

yeah, i think for monks, or at least those monks, you should choose either toe broguing or a cap toe, not both. a little busy.

I hope it ends up looking alright while wearing it.

I wonder if its possible to like... make the brogue into a plain cap. Probably a dumb question.

But I really love the color. And most monks that color that I've seen are wicked expensive.

overcast

So I finally got my bomber a few days ago. A lot warmer than I was expecting. Looks great with simply a t shirt under it. Haven't really tried it with a button up, or any combinations really.

yeah, somehow I got it for $100 on ebay. MJ collection, too. pics were pretty terrible but the seller has good ratings and the condition is supposedly very good so #yolo

they are capable of making very nice things. they just rarely want to for whatever reason. I've noticed they have slowly been moving away from their totally bro stuff lately.

giga

Was curious about Everlane and ordered a crew tee. They passed the test. Damn fine t shirt for $15. They kind of have a silky smooth feel, while still being cotton.

Just ordered another pair.

Next brand I want to try is Outlier.

Someone in this thread had good things to say about Outlier awhile ago. Can't remember who but I definitely remember seeing it.

Mac if you can find me a cool shearling jacket I will pay for your drinks next time you're in Seattle.

Someone in this thread had good things to say about Outlier awhile ago. Can't remember who but I definitely remember seeing it.

Most probably, it was me :p

Since I'm here, again...

Can you guys recommended me some places to buy great casual shirts? I like something that is simple/minimalist (i.e. not crazy full technicolor patterns) and at the same time, made with fabrics that makes you go "ohh, that's nice!!!".

Two more constraints:

1.- They have to be slim, since I'm a skinny guy.
2.- I'm a proud member of Untucked Team, so long shirts are a no no.

Outlier have some awesome shirts that fit 100% my description. The bad... every time I go there, they're sold out, DAMN IT!!!!!

201-OUTLIER-BlazedTackPivot-UptownFront.jpg

204-OUTLIER-BlazedTackPivot-GraySide.jpg

108-OUTLIER-MerinoCoPivot-.jpg

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!! :)

Got dragged into a TJ Max earlier... ended up walking out with a "Photographer" blazer by Express lol. Best part about though, it cost me $40 bucks. Only "damage" it had was somebody ran a marker over the Express logo on the inner left side... beyond that everything's all good.

That's probably one of the best deals I've ever seen... $300 dollar blazer went all the way down to $40. That shit cray haha.

Kwixotik

Thanks for the opinions, I'll call it a net gain. Those blue jeans are the Unbranded ones you recommended a while back when my APCs blew out, luckyboyceo. I really like them. Gonna pick up a black pair soon too.

NinjaBoiX

That turquoise hoody is horrific. The fit is terrible, it has next to no shape and the material looks to have the qualities of wet tissue paper.

And it's turquoise!

Kwixotik

That turquoise hoody is horrific. The fit is terrible, it has next to no shape and the material looks to have the qualities of wet tissue paper.

And it's turquoise!
Lol point taken. I think it looks a little better in person, it's slim fitting rather than just unshapen, but I guess it'll be relegated to my lounging clothes.

NinjaBoiX

Lol point taken. I think it looks a little better in person, it's slim fitting rather than just unshapen, but I guess it'll be relegated to my lounging clothes.
Lol, I'm sure it's comfy at least! I just like clothes to hang right, that looked all wrong to me. It looks a little big on you too (I know this feel, I'm a shorty, small or bust for me).

Anyway, I just found this thread. Subbed! Will try and post some pics and stuff if that's what goes on in here. ;)

Thanks for the opinions, I'll call it a net gain. Those blue jeans are the Unbranded ones you recommended a while back when my APCs blew out, luckyboyceo. I really like them. Gonna pick up a black pair soon too.
Awesome, man. For the price, they're the best quality jeans in the world. They fade remarkably fast too if that's what you're going for. If not, just wear them sparingly. Either way, they look great.

pls don't hate on turquoise universally i'm about to buy a turquoise suit.*

this is not a joke
Just in time for the Dumb & Dumber sequel.

Top Bottom