• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Alucrid

Banned
LL

P.S. use code yellowking30 for 30% off Proof Nomads. About to cop a black pair for work.

I own a pair of these and a pair of Outlier OGs, and I think I wear the Proofs more. Button hasn't popped off (unlike outlier), and seems lay like they should (unlike outlier).

however I've cooled on the schoeller fabric used in these pants. It's not really very water resistant, rather its utility in bad weather is that it dries out quicker than cotton once you're inside. The static cling is also a problem for me.

What do you people do to deal with static? I haven't tried hairspray because it just seems icky and wrong, but nothing else works.

As I'm going to NYU, I'm gonna have to start copping some actual winter wear. Since I live in L.A., I don't know what that is. Would a standard coat/peacoat cut it for a New York winter, or do I have to go harder? If I gotta go harder, does anyone have any recommendations?

^layer up like fucking crazy, i was in ny earlier this month and even for the warmest part of the day it was below freezing point

What's the first thing? Google search pulls up nothing, you're losing me Mac.

look up unstructured jackets/blazers, leave out languid

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but it's definitely something I need help with ;_;

It's obviously not a problem really with white dress shirts, but whenever I wear black or pastel coloured dress shirts, there are really bad white marks from deodorant on the inside of the shirt after I take it off, and I'm worried that I'm damaging the shirt.. Is there anything I can do to prevent those stains? :S Not wearing deodorant isn't really an option for me LOL ;_;

friday

Am I just fucked when that happens, then?

Layers man. Heat tech stuff as a base and then build from there. The mid layer should be something insulating like wool or down. Outer layers should keep the wind/water/snow out. When the wind is really kicking it is hard to beat something like gore tex for keeping the cold out. Don't forget your gloves and hat.

Honestly this winter has been horrid. It is below 32 almost every day.

As I'm going to NYU, I'm gonna have to start copping some actual winter wear. Since I live in L.A., I don't know what that is. Would a standard coat/peacoat cut it for a New York winter, or do I have to go harder? If I gotta go harder, does anyone have any recommendations?

You can do a peacoat if you layer properly. Just know that Manhattan is a fucking wind tunnel in winter. If you're not opposed to rocking a down jacket, an 800 or so rated jacket will do you perfectly. If not, you can do layers for warmth and just have the outer layer block the wind. And invest in some warm functional gloves. Without them your hands are going to hurt and your skin will get all sorts of fucked up. Also, you get to rock scarves now. Congrats! :D

I'm just outside of NYC and the most I layer is an 800 Northface, a sweater, and a t-shirt, and a scarf and I'm never cold that way. But then again, half the time I go out in just a t-shirt and a hoodie and I'm fine, so I do cold well.

Just keep in mind that they key to cold is layers, layers, layers, along with the fact that you're either built for it, or you're not.

NinjaBoiX

This might be a stupid question with an obvious answer but it's definitely something I need help with ;_;

It's obviously not a problem really with white dress shirts, but whenever I wear black or pastel coloured dress shirts, there are really bad white marks from deodorant on the inside of the shirt after I take it off, and I'm worried that I'm damaging the shirt.. Is there anything I can do to prevent those stains? :S Not wearing deodorant isn't really an option for me LOL ;_;
use this said:
It smells pretty nice too.

Let it dry thoroughly and brush off the excess with your fingers too, always helps.

Find a deodorant that doesn't have aluminum. I personally use the one Baxter sells. It's light stuff which is good for clothes but if you sweat like crazy or need a strong scent then look elsewhere.

NinjaBoiX

Why do deodorants advertise "48hr protection"?

If you're waiting two days before taking a shower I'm guessing you probably aren't too bothered about BO problems!

oh is this about merz and co? that happened a bit ago; i don't know much about it but yeah you are vorboten from speaking his name lol. didn't know a new forum started.

internet fashion forum drama is... the worst.

Hey FashionGAF, I bought a pair of ASOS brown derby shoes recently, nothing amazing but I figured I'd try to keep them nice when they started cracking where they bend, and of course I scuffed the toes.

Anyway, I somehow ended up with some 'PALC' self shining shoe cream due to a fast talking lady (who applied some to my shoes without asking!) but don't think this is really that great for shoes. I've tried to remove it with a damp t-shirt and think it's gone...

... so is this stuff OK? If not, what should I use? I don't want a military shine, but want a satin type sheen and for them to look nice, and have the natural leather look. Meltonian neutral shoe cream? Something else? This stuff is all new to me and I'd like to try and figure it out before buying more expensive shoes further down the track.

I'm in Australia (Melbourne) and shoe care stuff doesn't seem that really available.

Sorry for the intrusion... as you were...

friday

looks like it was only a temp ban. honestly though, as much of a pain as lunchbox was on manshion, he was absolutely hilarious on gaming side

I was just reading his CoD Ghost OT for old times sake. Pure genius.

Anyone here have experience with Top Man's jackets? A few of their black bombers look nice, I think I am gonna go by the store this weekend. I am looking for a simple black jacket, either a bomber or denim jacket with a max budget of $250.

OK, I've come across a fashion dilemma and I need GAF help. I want to get a pair of black pants but should I be getting black jeans or black trouser/chino pants? What side of the fence are you guys on?

Sidenote: I want to wear them for night outs.

either would be fine for going out at night, but I prefer black jeans to pants, generally. that said, if you're running into dress code / club situations, I'd skip jeans entirely. are you wearing a blazer out or just a shirt?

Top Bottom