• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Are trainers like this particularly well made or something? I don't understand why they charge so much. Because those look like the sort of trainers you'd get if you wanted to get some Nike running shoes but couldn't quite afford them. They look like cheapo knock offs, and I bet they're made in the same factory.

Kind of like that crazy $850 black hoody a few pages back that looked like a $10 Primark special.

I don't mean to be negative, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely intrigued. I post in this thread because I'd like to think I dress fairly well and have an interest in fashion, but some of the stuff that gets posted looks incredibly cheap, but is astronomically expensive.

I get paying a couple of hundred for a really well made, smart looking coat or something (like the one mac posted) but I actually wouldn't want to wear some of this super expensive stuff! It often looks really tacky IMO.
well sneakers are generally a high-margin good wherever you get them from, but mj sneakers use nice leather, are fully leather lined, and made in italy (a few oxfords are made in croatia, but these are the exception). They are way better than anything I've worn from nike etc. Whether or not you'd want to pay $500-$600 for them (the usual msrp) is another issue.

also

"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap" - Queen Parton

zeopower6

I don't mean to be negative, I'm not trolling, I'm genuinely intrigued. I post in this thread because I'd like to think I dress fairly well and have an interest in fashion, but some of the stuff that gets posted looks incredibly cheap, but is astronomically expensive.

I think it's a mix of materials, small production runs, and brand name. Usually mostly the brand name, really.

NinjaBoiX

Edit: yeah, also good points guys. Thanks for the input.

You can't really tell the quality of leather or whatever from photos
Yeah, I suppose that's true.

Fine leather shoes that'll last a lifetime, I get that.

A wonderfully tailored jacket made from the very best wool, sure.

But some of this stuff is, a t-shirt, a hoody, a pair of bright blue running shoes, etc. How much scope can there really be for the quality of materials to justify such an inflated price? If they looked incredible, I suppose I could see that, but they often just look like fairly run of the mill garments, or often less so (obviously subjectively speaking).

I dunno, I guess I'll just never be in to super high end fashion. Fair play to those into it, they're supporting an industry at the end of the day. It just seems to me like paying for expensive clothes so you have expensive clothes rather than anything else sometimes!

Fuck my life I just found a boutique using comme des garcons shop locator called A'marees. It's right here in Newport Beach right in front of my face this whole time.

It's basically the only good place in OC now that the South Coast is becoming a joke. All this time I could have been checking that place out and getting a superior shopping experience. I'm gonna call them up and see how extensive the mens selection is and head on over there.

amarees_hero2.jpg

Rookje

Fuck my life I just found a boutique using comme des garcons shop locator called A'marees. It's right here in Newport Beach right in front of my face this whole time.

It's basically the only good place in OC now that the South Coast is becoming a joke. All this time I could have been checking that place out and getting a superior shopping experience. I'm gonna call them up and see how extensive the mens selection is and head on over there.

What cdg shit are you looking for?

American Rag has cdg now and then.

You owe me five bucks. They said it's majority women but they got mens too. Dropped some brand names and it sounds good margiela, aloha rag, lucien pellat finet, and cdg fragrances.

But here's the bad news, no amazingreen from cdg. You could pinpoint the moment my heart broke when he said that.

What cdg shit are you looking for?

American Rag has cdg now and then.

Their stuff is weak. They got those converse cdg shoes, like one fragrance for women. It's no good.

enjoy your men's wallet and fragrance shopping, style fox.

speaking of, i got a bunch of fragrance samples coming my way. even got comme des garcons odeur 53 and 71. can't wait.

edit: wait, another company carries aloha rag? i thought that was a store-exclusive label. hm. they have some nice things from time to time.

i'll check them out, i'm just browsing around fragrance sites and seeing what interests me. plus, i'm getting a few here and there for the waifu too, so it's not like i'm gorging solely for myself.

so far, over the last couple of weeks, i've run through:
hermes rose ikebana (very good, maybe god tier)
hermes osmanthe yunnan (good, disappears in a few hours)
chanel coromandel (god-ish tier)
chanel sycomore (god tier)

waiting for a box which contains a bunch of van cleef & arpels, tom daxon iridium and salvia sclarea (depending on how the tom stuff goes i might get a couple more), and the comme stuff. then i'll rest for a bit.

Speaking of which as I was entering a building at school today a girl said my cologne smelled really good. But it wasn't just any girl she was rocking a 8.5 gap rating.

I've always wanted to get into fragrances, but the fragrance thread on SZ scares me away

also, the lack of gap knowledge on manshion is upsetting

I've always wanted to get into fragrances, but the fragrance thread on SZ scares me away

also, the lack of gap knowledge on manshion is upsetting
just hit up fragrantica and explore on your own, try a few out (luckyscent or ebay samples if you have to) and figure out what you like and what notes you enjoy, and go from there.

Are there retail shops that carry the men's fragrances you get, mac?
dude i live in the middle of nowhere in montana, I don't even have gucci stuff local haha. this is kind of why i'm trudging through all this weird off-the-path stuff, it's really no different to me than anything you'd get at macy's in terms of availability.

that said, lot of big cities have fancy perfume stores or counters with pretty much everything i've listed, sans tom daxon, mostly because that's a small and new company. the only one's that might be difficult are chanel and hermes, as they are usually limited in distribution. imo it's worth spending a few hours on fragrance databases and a few bucks on samples to explore.

Kwixotik

I'm looking for a nice, black shoe for casualwear. Sub-$100 preferred, no more than $120 max. Streetwear influence is cool, but I prefer simple/streamlined and not a lot of obnoxious detail.

Any recommendations?

Manshion gaf I need your help.

I've been rocking a pair of Wolverine 1000's thanks to this thread and they are the best for the winter.

But now I'm looking to up my shoe game for the spring/summer. What should I go for? I'm trying to stay away from sneakers because I've got a decent amount of those (i usually wear Keep sneakers).

I'm looking for a nice, black shoe for casualwear. Sub-$100 preferred, no more than $120 max. Streetwear influence is cool, but I prefer simple/streamlined and not a lot of obnoxious detail.

Any recommendations?
not sure what you're looking for exactly, a derby laceup that isn't 'dressy' or minimal sneakers? pointer and vans otw have the latter

Manshion gaf I need your help.

I've been rocking a pair of Wolverine 1000's thanks to this thread and they are the best for the winter.

But now I'm looking to up my shoe game for the spring/summer. What should I go for? I'm trying to stay away from sneakers because I've got a decent amount of those (i usually wear Keep sneakers).
really depends on what kind of shit you wear, but maybe look to walkover? they have some nice contrast sole oxfords, some regular ol brick soled oxfords, as well as some roughed up stuff. keep are pretty casual-non-sneakery already, so no point in recommending what I recommend above.

if you want something funky maybe one of those wedge sole oxfords?

Common-Projects-Derby-Shine-620x413.jpg

Salazar

never looked at camper up close, but they run a great hotel in berlin, so i'd say go for it!

Bought a previous pair through a total language barrier near St. Mark's in Venice.

The language of shoes and improvised hand gesturing. She managed to convey the message "don't you go out and straightaway get these motherfuckers wet, boy. I'll come after you".

fuck, just found out my payment for my ToJ might not have gone through. Can't find any record of it anywhere. Waited 4 months for nothing.

Dany

Banned
How are uniqlo shorts? I have bigger thighs from the running and I'd like something that's slightly slim and are slightly above the knees, I have gap ones from last summer but uniqlo is cheaper. I'd like some perspective.

Also I'll be in NYC mid march for a week, where should I shop?

giga

Trying to choose between these two colors. Navy is speaking to my heart, but the fact that it won't work with blue pants/jeans is keeping me from pulling the trigger. They would look sooo good with khaki chinos or my burnt orange jeans though.

05704_NA6446

05704_BL8133

Top Bottom