• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Fashion |OT| Style is eternal; But my wallet isn't

Can they be trusted more than gilt? I always lumped those kinds of sites together. How do we know it's not merch made strictly for myhabit or other shenanigans.

The Corner is the GOAT for model styling

Indeed.

43194212qb_14_a.jpg

giga

They're so busy man:

They just look fussy and chintzy to me. But I'm not really a fan of dress shoes in general, so my opinion is kind of moot anyway.
That's an ugly pair. Try a semi-brogue, like the AE Strand, which is a bit less flashy than a full wingtip.

622201073203111.jpg

They're stunning with a navy suit.

Xun

I bought a new Calvin Klein leather jacket the other day.

hHL4qzQ.jpg

How does it look?

Not exactly a great photograph though.

A bit of a random question for Style-GAF...

What kind of shoes would a 29 year old, fairly rich guy with halfway decent taste wear?

He's not the type to spend a ton, but quality, looks and brand visibility would be worthwhile points for him (this is a fictional character). Probably runs a bit conservative.

It's a minor detail, and I could just insert any kind of shoe into the section I'm working on, but if anyone had any favorites or recommendations, I think it would be more fun to have something a guy like this would actually wear. Much obliged for any ideas.

tell me more about this character

edit: if he's a man about town type, probably margiela 'replica' sneakers and paul smith oxfords. a little trendy, nothing rocking the boat, compatible with a jeans and blazers vibe.

tell me more about this character

Architect (though not prominent or noteworthy), old money, not a snob or someone who puts on airs, but has definitely grown up with a different standard than most. Not ambitious, but does have a bit of pride. Bland, but not unpleasant features. 5'10, white. Dead. :)

Edit to add: Is a bit of a shoe whore.

edit: if he's a man about town type, probably margiela 'replica' sneakers and paul smith oxfords. a little trendy, nothing rocking the boat, compatible with a jeans and blazers vibe.

He does (or did) go out a bit. Not crazy much, but still in that semi-bar phase of the unattached and social. The 'little trendy but not rocking the boat' does sound like what I'm looking for. Thanks!

well i mean if this dude is loaded and a suit and tie dude he's probably going right for john lobb or another top-tier maker (conservative, not flashy) $$$$$$$$$$$, traditional appeal in the sense of high quality vs fashionista trends). casually speaking, he might not even wear sneakers at all, maybe rubber soled desert boots a la pierre hardy.

well i mean if this dude is loaded and a suit and tie dude he's probably going right for john lobb or another top-tier maker (conservative, not flashy) $$$$$$$$$$$, traditional appeal in the sense of high quality vs fashionista trends). casually speaking, he might not even wear sneakers at all, maybe rubber soled desert boots a la pierre hardy.

He wouldn't be uncomfortable in a suit and tie, but I think his more often worn selections would be closer to casual side.

I don't think these would look out of place in his closet or front entrance at all:

Smeqj5zs.jpg
ExhW3xws.jpg
cV7Qj9Ss.jpg

So, margiela 'replica' sneakers, paul smith oxfords and the pierre hardy rubber soled desert boots will do nicely. Thanks so much. I was hoping I'd catch you on for this. I'm already using your cologne picks from the 'man smell' thread for his bathroom kit. :p

If you can think of any other random stylish things a guy like this might have hanging/own, I would be happy to incorporate it into the chapter. The character POV is from a younger guy who considers himself quite trendy, so it's only natural that he'd recognize these kinds of items when in the dead guy in question's house.

Cheers~

hmmm...something like Loake Jodhpurs?

Sd1Z4i6l.jpg

I might tuck these in the upstairs closet. Thanks, Alucrid.

actually here is a good question; would he turn his nose to mainstream, label names (ie, gucci prada etc)?

and you should have those fragrances for your boy anyway, they're quite nice :p

actually here is a good question; would he turn his nose to mainstream, label names (ie, gucci prada etc)?

and you should have those fragrances for your boy anyway, they're quite nice :p

Mmm... I don't think he'd turn his nose that direction because he's the sort to be used to good things, but also somewhat embarrassed at his (inherited) wealth. He wouldn't want to blatantly advertise labels because it would draw attention to that (the brand visibility was a worthwhile point in a negative sense, I meant, in my earlier note which confusingly implied the opposite). :p

As for the fragrances... don't tempt me. I really loved the scent picture you painted. I should probably get him to smell some first or something, though. I remember being bought perfume once and though it smelled lovely in a general sense, it didn't suit me at all when worn. I'm definitely using it for the story, though.

Antagon

That's an ugly pair. Try a semi-brogue, like the AE Strand, which is a bit less flashy than a full wingtip.

622201073203111.jpg

They're stunning with a navy suit.

I want to get some Strands when I'm in the US in may/june, but I'm kinda taken back by the price. From what I've seen the retail price is 360 dollars? Is it easy to find them cheaper in a store?

Top Bottom