• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

goodfella

Here's what I went with:
face_bright.jpg

Looks much better!

Like others have said though, just work on the styling.

Posted this originally in the fashion thread, now posting here as I didn't know this existed. Read the OP before posting and still asking. I'm assuming but my description below I don't want any shine. But then this line confused me: ""To add extra shine and control without sacrificing your hair's natural look, creams are the way to go" under the cream section.

Original post:
I didn't want to make a topic on this and thought this the best place to ask.

I haven't used hair products in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. My hair has been short enough that I haven't needed to. However it's getting pretty long. What do you guys use? I don't want anything too strong? Like I don't want a gel look? My hair won't be standing up or anything like that, just to make it a little more presentable?

I have no idea what to even look for. So any help is appreciated.

edit: I wish I could pull off short hair but I can't, my head looks ridiculous with short hair.

This is me (the one on the left):

RedAssedApe

Banned
Where do you guys buy your hair products from? Maybe I'm just used to the cheap supermarket gels that are like $5 for a giant tub but $15 for American Crew seems like a lot. And the stuff at the salons are even more expensive. Any recommendations?

Where do you guys buy your hair products from? Maybe I'm just used to the cheap supermarket gels that are like $5 for a giant tub but $15 for American Crew seems like a lot. And the stuff at the salons are even more expensive. Any recommendations?

Its alot because it lasts and you need less, not to mention usualy smells better and washes out easier!

I pretty much cant stand gel in my hair anymore, thank god for pomade!

I do think I need to invest in some "heavy" pomade if such a thing exists. Stupid double crown is being a pain and wont left one side of my under cut settler properly withought alot of effort!

What do you guys do about hair licks?

I can't for the life of me get a part of my hair to go down...especially after biking

Link

The Autumn Wind
So I've been going with the pushed forward/bed head style and I've been getting good feedback, so I want to stick with it. However, I'm using Got2b Glued and it turns my hair into a rock. What product suggestions do you guys have that will still give me good hold but keep my hair workable/manageable?

Meier

As far as I can tell, that image in the OP is from the barber I go to on occasion (Avenue Barbershop in Austin, TX). I don't remember them having the working barber pole though.

I'd like to get a fancier haircut but I'm just too lazy/tired in the morning to maintain it so I always get it trimmed short. I have nice, thick hair, so I could probably pull off one of those short on the sides, slicked back looks.. but who knows. I have a pretty major cowlick from always combing my hair over as a kid.

Go_Ly_Dow

New cut is getting a lot of compliments.

3 round side and back, blended from sides to the top and textured at the top/front.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
This is what I use for my hair when it comes to product.

redken-wax-blast-10-350x350.jpg

I don't like the wet look and prefer the natural dry look, thus why I only use wax.

SeriousApes

Just got a new haircut. I asked the lady at the salon if she had heard of the undercut, but she only knew of the women's version. So I just said that I wanted it short on the sides with kind of a high blend. She clipper'd up to about the crown of my head and scissor-blended the rest and took about 1-2 cm off the length of my hair. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I don't usually leave the haircut place feeling good.

Had to take a cell phone pic because I couldn't find my memory card for my camera

Damn. I look sleep deprived.

Croc

Banned
Man I wish I could have on of those nice slicked back hairdos with the short sides. Actually that's kind of how I have my hair cut now except my hair does not slick backwards. For some reason my hair just goes straight forward and refuses to do anything else.

My last 3 haircuts I've just had my stylist not cut my bangs. When my hair is short it's very straight but once it gets longer it gets pretty wavy, so I just have long wavy bangs that keep fluffed up on their own with everything else short/straight.

mooooose

Man I wish I could have on of those nice slicked back hairdos with the short sides. Actually that's kind of how I have my hair cut now except my hair does not slick backwards. For some reason my hair just goes straight forward and refuses to do anything else.

My last 3 haircuts I've just had my stylist not cut my bangs. When my hair is short it's very straight but once it gets longer it gets pretty wavy, so I just have long wavy bangs that keep fluffed up on their own with everything else short/straight.
I slick my hair back and to the side because it doesn't slick straight back. It looks just as good tbh and makes my hair look fuller.

Loxley

It actually sounds like you and I have a similar hair-type. The hair on the top of my head grows forward, and - when longer - my hair starts to get wavy but there's no evidence of that at when it's short.

I've used a lot of products over the years to try and see what can help me best pull-off that short on the sides/long on the top, slicked-back look that seems to be very popular in this thread, so far I have yet to find a perfect solution. I've been using American Crew fiber for a while now, but only because it's "good enough" for what I need it to do.

More recently I tried Kevin Murphy Hair Resort and was pretty disappointed with it, little to no hold and makes my hair look greasy. I ordered some Bed Head Matte Separation Wax to give it a try, I am determined to find something.

zethren

Banned
Oh snap, you actually made the thread Sean. How did I miss it?

Awesome job on the OP.

Currently I've got something like this going on:
8c25d4080c1311e2a7d622000a1d0360_7.jpg

*Instagrammin', cus it's the quickest way for me to upload a picture from my phone. And black and white is the shit.*

It's late in the day and I've thoroughly messed with it throughout my work shift, but this is what I use to give my hair texture and volume:

Don't use it with wet hair though. It'll get hard and bleh.

zethren

Banned
It looks like their hair has some nice shine to it, so it probably isn't matte whatever they're using. I'm not sure though. I've never used anything but matte, myself.

zethren

Banned
Facial hair generally is more like in pic 5. I tend to keep it clean shaven or 1-3 days stubble. All the other pics it had been growing for about 1 week as I had just gotten a bit lazy over that period. Please forgive the semi-neck beard.

Any styling advice or products that might work best for me would be appreciated.

Shave the neck hair, and underneath your chin as well, to where your beard basically follows the contour of your jawline and maintain a stubble look like you more or less have here:

And that would be one rockin beard.

Also, thin out the hair as it rises up your cheeks.

You'll get a much cleaner look and at the same time maintain that awesome stubble.

So what is the best Shampoo to use? I'm in mid 20's, been having quite some hair fall and I know I will be bald soon.

Any shampoo with less chemicals? I tend to shampoo my hair everyday, so the less chemicals the better. I think it is called 'Ph' value for shampoo's.

Any suggestions?

Just moved across Canada and had to give up the only hairstylist I've ever had who could give me a proper cut.

I'm not sure why every stylist and barber thinks my fine hair needs thinning shears. I hate having to find someone new to cut my hair.

So what is the best Shampoo to use? I'm in mid 20's, been having quite some hair fall and I know I will be bald soon.

Any shampoo with less chemicals? I tend to shampoo my hair everyday, so the less chemicals the better. I think it is called 'Ph' value for shampoo's.

Any suggestions?

you shouldn't shampoo your hair everyday, right? anyways, I use Nizoral, but only twice a week.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Got a great cut today.

The only thing I dislike is that my side burns are literally non existent under the stubble right towards the top of my ear. If I let them grow to just stubble this cut will be perfect.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm sure that it has been said many times, but Timedog wins this competition. Way to go, Eric.

Takuan

Currently rocking a Boardwalk Empire-ish style, except the barber shaved higher and left more length at my request. Probably one of the best haircuts I've ever gotten.

Gonna look into some of these products. Not sure if they sell in Canada. I don't like putting stuff in my hair so much, but if I have to look especially presentable for whatever, I'll do it.

Edit: Damned Canada, shipping kills the deal for me. You guys have it so good in the states, I swear.

Edit 2: @Sean!, I've found an eBay seller offering free shipping for both holds of Suavecito. All my hair is on top, it's fairly long, and it's thick. As someone who's used the product, is original strong enough to hold, or should I just go with the firm?

Edit 3: Nevermind, not free. God dammit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Are the American crew products difficult to wash out? I normally just use gel but want to go for a more matte look (My definition of hard to wash out is anything that takes more than one shampoo-ing)

Edit: this channel is worth a look by the way, it's 2 Danish brothers who do videos on hairstyles, some of them are way out there and the quality varies but they do have some usefull ones, if you can get past the broken English and Euro Techno.

Linky

This whole time I thought it was one dude so I was like wtf how can he get so many different haircuts. Lol

Got a great cut today.

The only thing I dislike is that my side burns are literally non existent under the stubble right towards the top of my ear. If I let them grow to just stubble this cut will be perfect.

pics!
I keep forgetting to get ones of mine and well I aint going out of the house today so sod doing it for one photo!

Saying all this Im getting it cut again in just over a week as im finding 3 up the sides to not be short enough and I think ive decided it didnt go high enough up either...
Will see what happens though I guess.

PBalfredo

Alright HairGAF, I need some advice on what the hell to do with my hair. I've been in need of a new style for a while now. Right now I'm just letting it do its own thing, plus maybe running a comb through it so it's not pure bedhead. But I know that needs to stop and I need to take it in a new direction. I just have no idea which direction, just something other than this.

YMaQl.jpg

So what do you recommend GAF? What cut or style would look good with my head shape. One stipulation though: I'll be job hunting very soon, so nothing too wild.

dorkimoe

I'll need to post a picture later. But I want to get away from the gel that makes my hair hard. I'm too old for that I think. Need the dry look. But not sure if I feel comfortable with it :(. Besides only the glue gel seems to keep a hold

Can anyone recommend me a shampoo and conditioner that can help make my hair softer? I have the thick asian hair and when I cut it short it sticks out like a porcupine. I'm wondering if there's anything I can use so I can actually cut my hair shorter.

Can anyone recommend me a shampoo and conditioner that can help make my hair softer? I have the thick asian hair and when I cut it short it sticks out like a porcupine. I'm wondering if there's anything I can use so I can actually cut my hair shorter.

I use Hanz De Fuko shampoo and conditioner and it seems to make my hair softer but if that's not enough perhaps you could try a leave-in conditioner of some kind.

I use Hanz De Fuko shampoo and conditioner and it seems to make my hair softer but if that's not enough perhaps you could try a leave-in conditioner of some kind.

Thanks, I'll try it out. Is there any product you can recommend that's sort of like the American Crew Fiber? High hold but matte shine?

Thanks, I'll try it out. Is there any product you can recommend that's sort of like the American Crew Fiber? High hold but matte shine?

There are tons of options.

TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Seperation Work Wax
Bumble and Bumble Sumo Tech
Osis + Mess Up Matt Gum Hair Styling Waxes
Hanz De Fuko Quicksand (this stuff is really unique with gritty hold and matte finish)

Top Bottom