• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Hows it bad if you don't mind me asking?

I get it super short on the back and sides, blended up, with a small amount off the top. Usually just wet it, comb it back, and let it dry how it may.

Today, my usual guy was sick, so I let the girl do it, and she cut it way too short, too high in the back, and now toward the top of my head its way too short, and is sticking up no matter what I do.

Even worse is I have a potential job interview tomorrow. Want to look decent for it. Bleh.

Link

The Autumn Wind
There's nothing worse than a bad haircut. Talk about a confidence killer. It's worse because you can't see it, and then you'll come across a mirror and it's even more awful looking than you remember.

I used to style my hair for quite a while in the morning, and would always leave the house disappointed. My hair is very very silky and thin and difficult to style, so I finally said fuck it and shaved my head.

Best decision I ever made; no more money for products, no more going to salons or stylists/barbers, no more frustration. I wake up and leave the house, and surprisingly it looks significantly better than any of the 40+ hairstyles I tried in the past. It's clean, easy, and sharp.

stn

I used to style my hair for quite a while in the morning, and would always leave the house disappointed. My hair is very very silky and thin and difficult to style, so I finally said fuck it and shaved my head.

Best decision I ever made; no more money for products, no more going to salons or stylists/barbers, no more frustration. I wake up and leave the house, and surprisingly it looks significantly better than any of the 40+ hairstyles I tried in the past. It's clean, easy, and sharp.
My hair is silky too, its naturally shiny and soft. Do you get a buzzcut or just a #0? Would a buzzcut even work on such soft hair? Thanks.

EDIT: Its good when I cut it very short, but it grows back too fast. My barber told me I'd have to get a cut every 2-ish weeks or so to maintain the look (he's a friend, doubt he'd lie to me just because).

My hair is silky too, its naturally shiny and soft. Do you get a buzzcut or just a #0? Would a buzzcut even work on such soft hair? Thanks.

EDIT: Its good when I cut it very short, but it grows back too fast. My barber told me I'd have to get a cut every 2-ish weeks or so to maintain the look (he's a friend, doubt he'd lie to me just because).

Buzz cut. Usually #1.

Think Justin Timberlake.

My hair grows abnormally fast as well, but I just invested $80 in a nice hair trimmer and I cut it maybe once every 2 weeks, it's fine. The texture of my hair didn't matter once it was cut that short. It just feels super soft and looks great.

Holy hell yes. I was thinking this morning that I would make or search for a thread.

I've had the same cut now for a little over 2 years. I'm growing tired of it. I actually do it myself, but I'm thinking about going out today or tomorrow and gaining a new hairstyle.

I've been doing a bit of a faux hawk. Usually a #2 or #3 blade (1/4 inch or 3/8th) on the sides and back, and up to a #7 or #8 (7/8th of an inch or 1 inch) on the top.

No idea what I want to do with my hair now. It's getting a bit too long, so it's time for a cut, I don't want to get a buzz cut. My hair is naturally straight, dark brown and average thickness no balding or thinning of my hair yet.

stn

Buzz cut. Usually #1.

Think Justin Timberlake.

My hair grows abnormally fast as well, but I just invested $80 in a nice hair trimmer and I cut it maybe once every 2 weeks, it's fine. The texture of my hair didn't matter once it was cut that short. It just feels super soft and looks great.
My hair is REALLY soft, though. Its not thinning, its just naturally baby fine. Women LOVE it but I can't do ANYTHING with it. Would a buzzcut still work? I just can't imagine it since each follicle is really soft.

There are tons of options.

TIGI Bed Head Men Matte Seperation Work Wax
Bumble and Bumble Sumo Tech
Osis + Mess Up Matt Gum Hair Styling Waxes
Hanz De Fuko Quicksand (this stuff is really unique with gritty hold and matte finish)

The quicksand looked interesting and I was going to try their shampoo and conditioner anyway so I think I'll just pick it up along with it. Thanks!

My hair is REALLY soft, though. Its not thinning, its just naturally baby fine. Women LOVE it but I can't do ANYTHING with it. Would a buzzcut still work? I just can't imagine it since each follicle is really soft.

You should be fine, I have the same issue.

However if you're nervous, get something like a high and tight first and cut the sides super short and see how it feels there, then slowly keep going up until you can visualize what it would look like. That's how I originally realized that I already was close enough, might as well cut the rest.

If you have plenty of hair already and just shave it all at once, it'll be a shock how it looks, so go slowly and see how it looks/feels on the sides first.

I have a very long face and somewhat of a receding hairline so it works out a lot better for me because it squares off my face.

Espresso

Banned
tumblr_makwyw15mA1qeb5bwo1_1280.jpg

I could pull this off, but my concern is what my hair'd look like when it's not brushed back and held in place by hairspray. Wouldn't the length of the bangs be annoying and look ridiculous? Or maybe it's not as long as what I'm imagining. Either way, I'm in the mood for something different.

stn

You should be fine, I have the same issue.

However if you're nervous, get something like a high and tight first and cut the sides super short and see how it feels there, then slowly keep going up until you can visualize what it would look like. That's how I originally realized that I already was close enough, might as well cut the rest.

If you have plenty of hair already and just shave it all at once, it'll be a shock how it looks, so go slowly and see how it looks/feels on the sides first.

I have a very long face and somewhat of a receding hairline so it works out a lot better for me because it squares off my face.
So your hair looks full even though its very soft? I cannot even slightly imagine that on myself even though I have full hair. Glad you found what works for you, I may eventually try it. Many of my friends have been trying to convince me that the shaved head would suit me, but I'm not sold on it.

Thanks for all your time and replies, my friend.

Sye d'Burns

I could pull this off, but my concern is what my hair'd look like when it's not brushed back and held in place by hairspray. Wouldn't the length of the bangs be annoying and look ridiculous? Or maybe it's not as long as what I'm imagining. Either way, I'm in the mood for something different.

This is pretty much my hairstyle. I just style mine slightly more to the back but not straight back. Bangs would come down just below my eye were my hair not curly. I can't vouch for someone with straight hair but I definitely look a bit on the ridiculous side when my hair isn't combed properly.

Ah, finally have a reason to post here! So I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, gonna get my hair cut tomorrow or Tuesday before I fly out on Thursday. I wanna go for this undercut style:

What do you think I should ask for when it comes to the sides? I was thinking of clipping it at a 2 or 3, and as for the top I am completely clueless. Here's how my hair looks sort of now:

hairln.jpg

injurai

Banned
I need to get a hair cut, but I have awfully think hair. The back doesn't want to lay flat and kind of arcs, while the front gets kind of curly as it grows out. I need some good recommendations. Probably the best thing to do is go shorter which limits stylizing.

Ah, finally have a reason to post here! So I have a wedding to go to on Saturday, gonna get my hair cut tomorrow or Tuesday before I fly out on Thursday. I wanna go for this undercut style:

Your hair wont be long enough to do it yet, mine is just about right for it now and my fringe comes down to the end of my nose when wet haha
ryan-gosling-talks-about-his-breakup-with-rachel-mcadams.jpg

I had mine cut like this to start (but buzzed (right word? to a 2, or sometimes a 1 faded up to 2) and then let the fringe grow until I could push it back and then had to work on the otherside. I cant even find a picture of it "mid transition" Took bloody ages.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Gatsby Moving Rubber. I have really thick hair that grows so fast so the pomade is only worthwile when my hair is really short. Otherwise, the Moving Rubber and AC Fiber work much better.

I've been wanting to find some new product for my absurdly thick hair, so I got some of the Moving Rubber from Amazon. Was only a couple dollars more than my usual l'Oreal stuff and it honestly smells like something I want to eat! Now to see how well it works...

Cut a few hours ago, had a shower and tried to restyle it as best I could (I find it works better day two but whatever) also im bloody awful at taking self shot photos so this is the best I could do haha. Towl dry and some Vo5 Pomade and a comb, I need to track down some "heavy" pomade in the uk as I hate how gel drys and this pomade is pretty light.
Rjbxn.jpg

nnEmP.jpg

mooooose

Cut a few hours ago, had a shower and tried to restyle it as best I could (I find it works better day two but whatever) also im bloody awful at taking self shot photos so this is the best I could do haha. Towl dry and some Vo5 Pomade and a comb, I need to track down some "heavy" pomade in the uk as I hate how gel drys and this pomade is pretty light.
Rjbxn.jpg

nnEmP.jpg
Your hair looks fucking dope dude.

Cheers :)
Ive had loads of people saying how long it is, something I forget as Im focused on how long the sides are instead!

Someone in fashion gaf put me onto this tumbler awhile back and its pretty good, not that I can say I look like half the guys in it!
http://killfrisyrer.tumblr.com/

Funny that B/W photo a few posts up is what I took to my then hair dresser months ago, moved to a barber and not only has it sorted my hair but also helped then bank! £8 instead of £28!

How do you guys get your parts so clean? Just a good comb and some good product? This is assuming you have the right cut of course.

How do you guys get your parts so clean? Just a good comb and some good product? This is assuming you have the right cut of course.

My comb came in a pack of 5 random sized ones for £1 didnt think there was much difference vs expensive ones but maybe im wrong.

Also my gf has one of these that I sometimes use, pretty decent aswell.
30186918-03.jpg

Man I want some of this from the OP, Cant seem to buy it from the Uk as its stuck on checking postage costs and the one ebay shop that google chucked up does not carry it
jo5ZEidrJSfd3.jpg

Currently growing my hair out to try something new. No idea what to go with though. I have wavy / somewhat thick black hair. Suggestions?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been growing out my hair for about two months now. Also switched from using your standard cheap grocery story gel to American Crew Fiber. Not sure if its the longer hair = slightly more oil or I'm not sufficiently washing out the product = more clogged pores but I'm getting a few small painful bumps on my scalp (acne?), Maybe combo of both?

Bah. How long do you guys with medium and longer hair styles go before getting a trim? Hair over ears or usually get it cleaned up around the edges? Past two months have felt like an eternity for me.

£13 to order the smallest pot of that suavicito pomade in the OP .. cant decide if its worth it.
Anyone here use it?

Sod it, its only£13... probably turn up in a week or so..

Kozak

Banned
Will my barber 100% know what tapered is? I've been with him for a while and I have a pretty set style with him but I want something new. I want taper up in this hair.

My hairs pretty thin so I think I could pull it off.

this is the style I usually go:

304693_10150313151368823_1696270131_n.jpg

603257_10151101769593823_1754627228_n.jpg

Pretty simple but the back is always blocked which, as the description says, grows out gross.

Btw idk if you guys still need more inspiration to draw ideas from, but Pinterest has a crazy amount of men's fashion and men's hair fanatics. Definitely check it out

cacophony

my hair so damn long, i think i might get it cut.

if I showed a stylist this, it wouldn't be too difficult to get something like this would it?

iWnpXZRpsbOdj.png

longer on the top and layered right? thats how you get that kind of wavy/choppy effect on top?

I need help too.
I don't know what look I am going for anymore.
I use Krew Comb in my hair and I have a bit of a receeding hairline so there is an element of cover up in my doo. I cut my hair myself and have for about 15 years. I need a change. Let'er rip, I have thick skin.

6tWm1.jpg

What do you think I should ask for when it comes to the sides? I was thinking of clipping it at a 2 or 3, and as for the top I am completely clueless. Here's how my hair looks sort of now:

hairln.jpg

Judging by your photo, I think your hair seems too short to be cut/styled like that.

stravinsky

Neo Member
What styles would you guys recommend for someone with a weak chin/jawline? Makes it hard to pull off anything short. Think Kenneth from 30 Rock. I usually get my hair cut similarly to his, actually, but I'm wanting to try something a bit different.

What styles would you guys recommend for someone with a weak chin/jawline? Makes it hard to pull off anything short. Think Kenneth from 30 Rock. I usually get my hair cut similarly to his, actually, but I'm wanting to try something a bit different.

Googled the guy youre refering too. Doesnt necessarily look like a weak jawline. Still hard to place what youre looking for.

It also comes down to the type and strength of your hair.

Got any desirable hairstyles that have caught your attention lately?

GAF, recommend me a hairstyle? I'm a dude with a larger nose and a slightly understated jawline. Halp me.

This is what I currently have, as I have decided to grow my hair out for Fall:

This is what I usually have:

These are some styles I like.

Think I can pull any of these off? Please assist me in choosing a hairstyle!

Keep in mind, my hair is wavy/slightly curly. I do have access to a flat iron and blow-dryer, though, and usually use wax/paste when my hair grows out.

If you're willing to straighten your hair then by all means go for the look you posted. Seems like a fade worked well for you so this would just be enhancing that.

Top Bottom