• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

So your hair looks full even though its very soft? I cannot even slightly imagine that on myself even though I have full hair. Glad you found what works for you, I may eventually try it. Many of my friends have been trying to convince me that the shaved head would suit me, but I'm not sold on it.

Thanks for all your time and replies, my friend.

Like I said, try something really short on your sides and then just keep going until you can imagine it all over, then just one day do it.

No matter how the texture is, once you cut it that short, it's a moot point. That's what I found.

Ok, I just stumbled into this thread so I don't have time to dig through the whole thing, but is there any advice for someone who's hair is starting to thin in the front? My hair line isn't receding, just that the front and upper portion isn't as full as it used to be, and I'm only 30. It's more noticeable when my hair is long. Any help?

Justin-Bieber-Beauty-And-The-Beat-Feature.jpg

Bieber's hair now and days is actually pretty dope. How do you pull this off, with my current hair.

photo3.jpg

maxxpower

Think I can pull any of these off? Please assist me in choosing a hairstyle!

Keep in mind, my hair is wavy/slightly curly. I do have access to a flat iron and blow-dryer, though, and usually use wax/paste when my hair grows out.

I think you can pull those off, you have the facial hair and facial structure required for those styles.

Not too long ago I decided to give longer hair a break and just started mid-2ing my hair the fuck up. Shit is pretty liberating. No morning hair, no hat hair, no gel, no nothing. I guess it helps that it suits me. It feels like the lazy thing to do for some reason, but it just feels so much better.

Every time I decide to grow my hair longer it reaches this point between short and medium length where it looks god awful and I end up buzzing it off every single time. I'm in it to win it this time. I want to try not getting a haircut and not shaving until december

Tekniqs

I hate how my hair is for the first few days after getting it cut. It reaches its "prime" about halfway through the cycle before I get another haircut.

BTW: What would I say to a barber/salon person if I wanted to get the "Ted Mosby"?

Fou-Lu

Well, time to get a haircut again, and once more I have no idea what to do with it. Some really nice styles in this thread, but I don't think I could pull off ANY of them, haha. I'd like to give the undercut look a try, but I don't think I could make it.

Welp, GAF. I've cut off my long hair after having it for about 6 years.

Before:
164560_574954265324_5867747_n.jpg

Aaaand after:
SccaF.png

Still trying to figure out how to style it. Never really had to deal with that before.

GAF, recommend me a hairstyle? I'm a dude with a larger nose and a slightly understated jawline. Halp me.
The 2nd look you posted seems to be the natural evolution of the haircut you have now. I'd go with that. Essentially just longer on top and maybe the sides as well, though personally I think short sides fits you well.

Welp, GAF. I've cut off my long hair after having it for about 6 years.
Regardless it looks 100x better than before.

I will say having a long fringe is piss annoying when im at home (so I dont do my hair) Ive taken to using my gfs hair clips to keep it out of my eyes haha.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Not too long ago I decided to give longer hair a break and just started mid-2ing my hair the fuck up. Shit is pretty liberating. No morning hair, no hat hair, no gel, no nothing. I guess it helps that it suits me. It feels like the lazy thing to do for some reason, but it just feels so much better.
Ah, the path of least resistance. I'd love to do the same, but I'm far too vain.

cdyhybrid

I'm taking the plunge and shaving my head tonight because my thinning hair is getting painfully obvious. I don't feel good about it.

well if they're getting into his eyes

Yeah if I dont "do" my hair with pomade etc it is long enough to stab me in the eyes.
I found that out the hard way at a club night where my sweaty fringe became daggers just at the right level to hit my eyes :lol

Got my Hanz de Fuko quicksand in and tried it out today. It's great and way better than the American Crew fiber I was using. The only downside is that it feels kind of oily if I touch my hair, but it's no big deal since I usually shower at night anyway.

Got my Hanz de Fuko quicksand in and tried it out today. It's great and way better than the American Crew fiber I was using. The only downside is that it feels kind of oily if I touch my hair, but it's no big deal since I usually shower at night anyway.
Been meaning to pick some up since the slikhaar guys are always pimping it out. Where'd you cop it from?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I really need to try some new stuff. Suavecito and American Crew cocktails are okay I guess but I feel like there is probably better stuff out there.

Also, Khalifa Jay's hair is destined for greatness, I can tell.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I got some good hair but damn I wish I had some white folks hair so I can do my hair like that in the OP.
My shirley temples are too good though

I really need to try some new stuff. Suavecito and American Crew cocktails are okay I guess but I feel like there is probably better stuff out there.

Also, Khalifa Jay's hair is destined for greatness, I can tell.

My barber recommended Suavecito to me, too... is that stuff really good? Doesn't it leave hair shiny/slick, though? It looks like a more upscale version of "Three Flowers" to me, lol.

And I sure hope so on that second part! Haha. Why do you think so? Actually went and got tapered up today, so I'll post progress pics tomorrow when there's some daylight. I like the look so far. Gonna continue growing the top out and keeping the sides trim. We'll see how long I can take it before trimming it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My barber recommended Suavecito to me, too... is that stuff really good? Doesn't it leave hair shiny/slick, though? It looks like a more upscale version of "Three Flowers" to me, lol.

And I sure hope so on that second part! Haha. Why do you think so? Actually went and got tapered up today, so I'll post progress pics tomorrow when there's some daylight. I like the look so far. Gonna continue growing the top out and keeping the sides trim. We'll see how long I can take it before trimming it.

Well I have seen you post pictures before on Gaf and I have always loved that haircut you have. I have always thought it would look even cooler if you kept the sides the same way but let the top grow like in the reference photos you posted. I never mentioned it because at the time that I was thinking that this thread didn't exist, and I figured it would be a weird thing to say.

Anyway, as far as Suavecito goes, I definitely like it. It only leaves my hair shiny if I let it "dry" without a hair dryer or anything similar. If I apply a small amount and use a hair dryer It pretty much works like a stronger version of American crew forming cream. It stays in place but is still soft. Minimal shine. The reason I am trying new things though is that Suavecito is sort of meant for the shiny 50's look, which is something I don't do so often anymore.

What about us curly haired folk.

Not to be annoying here, but I feel like even when people ask about styles for curly hair I recommend very short tapered sides and back with a slightly longer top.

sjboi

I keep my hair pretty short but the one thing I recommend is that guys use a hair dryer! I never put product in my hair anymore, and I love it. When I get out of the shower I just blow-dry it into place. It straightens out the waviness and it will stay like that all day. Probably only works for shorter hair length though (less than 2 inches).

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I keep my hair pretty short but the one thing I recommend is that guys use a hair dryer! I never put product in my hair anymore, and I love it. When I get out of the shower I just blow-dry it into place. It straightens out the waviness and it will stay like that all day. Probably only works for shorter hair length though (less than 2 inches).

I agree, but for people like me with thick hair, a minimal amount of some sort of product has to be added. Other wise it just dries poofy.

I agree, but for people like me with thick hair, a minimal amount of some sort of product has to be added. Other wise it just dries poofy.

Agreed on this front. My hair, as you have all seen, is thick/wavy so I HAVE to have something in it to tame it. I am definitely excited about the possibilities... I always used to curse my locks, but now I realize that I can achieve almost any hairstyle with a blow dryer and flat iron plus the right product. Experimentation time this Fall/Winter!

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Going in for a cut tomorrow, my current hair is pretty ridiculous, especially the fringe in the wind. Not sure what I'm going to get. I used to have surfer/Bieber style hair back in high school, but my last cut made it somewhat like Aaron Bruno's, think I might go for something like that again.

QCctw.png

Though my last one was more evenly cut around and my hair is a lot thicker it seems than his.

Also, anyone have any good product advice? I'd just like something to make it shine a bit, I don't use anything to make my hair hold, since in my experience nothing works.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I am going to try and experiment out of the realm of pomades. I think it was just a phase because I was playing a lot of Fallout and watching a lot of Mad Men.

Hanz is too expensive imo though. Gonna try some different Redken products just because I was so happy with their molding paste.

Also, anyone have any good product advice? I'd just like something to make it shine a bit, I don't use anything to make my hair hold, since in my experience nothing works.

Man, if I didn't need any hold and only wanted shine, I would be rocking American Crew Pomade every day just for the smell.

They aren't exactly high end products but they really nailed it on the fragrance.

Surface of Me

Man, if I didn't need any hold and only wanted shine I would be rocking American Crew Pomade every day just for the smell.

Ha, it's not that I don't need the hold necessarily, but as I said everything I've tried in the past ends up failing and after it does it is very difficult to correct without showering. I can get my hair back to how I like it usually just by hand combing it, but lately it has gotten too thick and long for that.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Ha, it's not that I don't need the hold necessarily, but as I said everything I've tried in the past ends up failing and after it does it is very difficult to correct without showering. I can get my hair back to how I like it usually just by hand combing it, but lately it's gotten too thick and long for that.

A hair dryer will do more for you than a product, and I only say that because I am familiar with fucking up a style, or adding too much and making it greasy, then needing to shower again. It is a nightmare for people with thick hair.

My hair dryer fixed that problem.

Surface of Me

A hair dryer will do more for you than a product, and I only say that because I am familiar with fucking up a style, or adding too much and making it greasy, then needing to shower again. It is a nightmare for people with thick hair.

I only use my hair dryer on days where I'm in a rush, perhaps I should change that.

Also, another thing that fucks up my hair is sweat, but just the right amount. I sweat at work all the time, no idea why as the work isn't that physically demanding, but I just do. It's not enough to get my hair truly wet and be able to flatten it out, it just fucks it up at the ends. I hate it so much.

This a million times over. I have messed up my do sooooo many times because I kept trying to control it with more product. And when that didn't work I tried even more product. And when that didn't work I kept the product in it and tried a different brand and type of product. Yikes. Don't do that. Use a blow dryer. Blow your hair into submission then finish it off with whatever pomade, wax, paste, or texturing creme you prefer.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
This a million times over. I have messed up my do sooooo many times because I kept trying to control it with more product. And when that didn't work I tried even more product. And when that didn't work I kept the product in it and tried a different brand and type of product. Yikes. Don't do that. Use a blow dryer. Blow your hair into submission then finish it off with whatever pomade, wax, paste, or texturing creme you prefer.

Yep.

I remember when I would wear the fringe down and try to make it look messy, and I ended up piling so many different brands of product on that it was just disgusting. I learned from Jim Chapman on that Youtube channel about how helpful a hair dryer is for that.

That being said, I doubt I will attempt wearing a fringe down again any time soon. My girlfriend prefers my hair up C:

Man now that I think about it, starting any style without a hair dryer is just absurd.

Wat. I never use a hair dryer..maybe I should and don't start slagging off suav pomade!! I just spent £13 buying some haha. Saying that I went for the Firm version.

I'm guilty of to many products, just this morning I had to use two pomades and hair spray and its still being a dick around the back left. Stupid double crown.

Alucrid

Banned
I was in Chinatown today and it made me realize how lucky I am not to have the type of asian hair that just grows straight out.

Top Bottom