• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Hobs

Neo Member
I was in Chinatown today and it made me realize how lucky I am not to have the type of asian hair that just grows straight out.

Yeah it really sucks, I have to get a haircut pretty often to not have it look like a helmet. I have been searching for a solution for years but nothing works.

Dariee

Aaaand after:
SccaF.png

Still trying to figure out how to style it. Never really had to deal with that before.
Wow, rocking it. I want that hair.

Could have been me if I weren't balding at the front, cause my hair grows the same way.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
My hair is pretty stubborn (and there's a lot of it) so there isn't really much I can do with it. Lately I've just been letting it grow out and then using American Crew Forming Cream to just slick it back. I thought it was a boring look but it seems to be getting good results.

I would like to shake it up a little with some added flair, but I'm not really sure what to go with. I'm thinking of going with the Gosling, but I'm not sure how to ask a barber for it.

ryan-gosling-cover-nologo.jpg

Just got this haircut today, I'm kinda digging it. I had grown my hair out waaay long over the past few months but it's really rough and unwieldy so I think I'll just keep it short where it's easy to control. Currently using American Crew Forming Cream, but I may try a pomade since my barber suggested using that instead.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Tried a slicked back, classic look (don't know what it's called) with my hair for Halloween:

j1jo9xbe1Una5.jpg

I don't know what to do with it, though. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying the undercut look, but very few guys can pull it off. I know two things, though: 1) No buzzcuts; and 2) Sides need to be trimmed.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I don't know what to do with it, though. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking about trying the undercut look, but very few guys can pull it off. I know two things, though: 1) No buzzcuts; and 2) Sides need to be trimmed.

If you are going to attempt the undercut look, I definitely recommend a fade over a taper but that is just me.

Just in time for my trim tomorrow!
hYr7o.jpg

Free comb, not a clue what that pink thing is but it was in the package. Whats the best way to use ths stuff then? Smells really nice and im guessing slightly damp hair and a small amount should do it?

Tried a slicked back, classic look (don't know what it's called) with my hair for Halloween:

j1jo9xbe1Una5.jpg

OogieBoogie... youre a changed man. Thats a very good looking cut on you.

In other news I just got my hair cut yesterday. Sadly I have no photo to show, but imagine a crossing between Grace Jones meets Morrisey:

grace_jones_gallery_main_4.jpg

+

barbermorrissey.jpg

= my hairstyle

Got a little inspired listening to Pull up to my bumper lately. :p

MrOogieBoogie

OogieBoogie... youre a changed man. Thats a very good looking cut on you.

Haha, it's not permanent. Thanks for the kind words.

Some weird shit I experimented with a couple days ago:

jb0Ik1pmF6BOMn.jpg

People who know me will tell you I change my hairstyle nearly every single day.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Some weird shit I experimented with a couple days ago:

This is better than your usual and/or most recent.

Finally able to get in for a cut tomorrow (it's been since mid-August, good Lord) and am debating if I want to go for the undercut again. I gave myself the Hitler youth variety for about 9 months last year and I'm sort of feeling the urge again. Would be interesting to see how it'd look with a professional doing the cut.

Finally able to get in for a cut tomorrow (it's been since mid-August, good Lord) and am debating if I want to go for the undercut again. I gave myself the Hitler youth variety for about 9 months last year and I'm sort of feeling the urge again. Would be interesting to see how it'd look with a professional doing to cut.

Hoping for pics.

MrOogieBoogie

Finally able to get in for a cut tomorrow (it's been since mid-August, good Lord) and am debating if I want to go for the undercut again. I gave myself the Hitler youth variety for about 9 months last year and I'm sort of feeling the urge again. Would be interesting to see how it'd look with a professional doing to cut.

Hmm... will keep in mind next time I style my hair.

No pics, but right now I'm rocking this:

aph_8.jpg

Believe me, I look just as creepy as you'd imagine anyone to look sporting that fucking thing.

What's the best kind of hairstyle for men with small heads that's disproportional from the rest of their body? I normally get a 2 on the sides, high and tight, and cut the bangs and top short. That doesn't help with my head already small.

Here's a pic:

untitled-55-1.jpg

My hair is a bit longer there when parted to the side.

-Should I let my sides, back, and top grow out with my bangs cut shorter?
-Go for a Caesar cut?
--Long on top with the sides and back cut short tapered style?

I'm lost. I guess if it's too long, that can make my face and hair look really uneven. Just don't know the type of haircut I should get to complement the proportions of my face.

davidnic

I got Ted's haircut the other week and I like it! It was nice a thin and still is, Might get it again nice haircut.

mooooose

What's the best kind of hairstyle for men with small heads that's disproportional from the rest of their body? I normally get a 2 on the sides, high and tight, and cut the bangs and top short. That doesn't help with my head already small.

Here's a pic:

untitled-55-1.jpg

My hair is a bit longer there when parted to the side.

-Should I let my sides, back, and top grow out with my bangs cut shorter?
-Go for a Caesar cut?
--Long on top with the sides and back cut short tapered style?

I'm lost. I guess if it's too long, that can make my face and hair look really uneven. Just don't know the type of haircut I should get to complement the proportions of my face.
You may hate to hear this but your haircut is fine, unless you have something in particular in mind.

I'm starting to lose hair on the top of my scalp and someone recommended me to use Rogaine. Has anyone here ever used it and if so then would you recommend it too?

Broseybrose

If you are going to attempt the undercut look, I definitely recommend a fade over a taper but that is just me.

What the hell is the difference between fade and taper? Arent they both when the hair gradually gets longer as it gets towards the top of your head? Or, if you prefer, gradually shorter as it gets toward the ears/neckline?

Curious because ill be getting an undercut soon.

Me 6 months ago.

What Im Getting

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
What the hell is the difference between fade and taper? Arent they both when the hair gradually gets longer as it gets towards the top of your head?

I was under the exact same impression up until last week.

When my barber was finished doing the sides of my head I was kind of unhappy with the look, and it turned out that he forgot that he does a fade instead of a taper now that I have this new cut going. I am still not sure what it is since it applies the same principle as a taper.

Think Khalifa's hair in the photos he posted of himself, only mine is not that high.

I want to thank the OP for this thread, I had many a smiles from my quiff 'cut.

C:

Hieberrr

I'd love an undercut, but my hair is really thick and pretty straight. When it gets long, it get's weighed down a lot. So without products, it may not look so hot. Still think I can pull it off? With wax, it's fine.

EDIT: I want the Marcel Nguyen

Tom_Cody

Can anyone recommend some good male hairdressing emporiums in New York?
I strongly recommend Manetamed in Williamsburg. I have tried most of the high-end barber/salons around the LES and Williamsburg and Manetamed is definitely my favorite. Also, prices are great ($30 + tip for most men's haircuts).

http://www.yelp.com/biz/manetamed-brooklyn-2
http://williamsburgscenester.blogspot.com/2012/04/art-in-barber-shop.html

I just got an undercut from the owner Magda about a week ago and I have gotten tons of compliments since. I had tried to get this style cut a few times over the last 6 months and she is the first one to really understand what I wanted. I find that most barbers prefer to err on the side of longer and less edgy cuts where as her tendency is to try to push you into shorter/edgier styles. Anyway, I'm very happy with the result.

My undercut looks fairly similar to the Marcel Nguyen pics posted above; clippered around the sides and back with no taper or fade- just one length, which creates a sharp contrast between the long and short sections. To style it I push it forward and then flip the front up and to the side.

Btw, I almost feel like there could be a separate thread devoted to just undercuts. There are so many different variations.

Hmm after using the suavico firm pomade for a few weeks I have to say Im going to throw in the towel on the straight back undercut.

Stupid double crown make my hair raise up and splits on the left side and theres nothing I can do about it (short of growing my hair really really long and the cutting it)

Its pretty frustrating as the right side is perfect :(

Going to look for something I can try next time I go to the barbers that I can do with this length of hair ontop.

Pre

My hair is really thick, and it's hard to find a product that gives me the control I want while keeping my hair from looking like plastic. Anyone got some suggestions for something that'll give it a natural look?

Pre, I've been using "Top Shelf 4 men" control wax for my thick hair and it has a nice balance of control without the plastic look - usually a bit of fanning helps shape it. Don't know if it's available internationally though (Dk here)

I am looking for suggestions, otherwise I will probably just get the usual which is a bit boring by now.
5aq3G.jpg

I have quite a lot of hair and a time at the hairdresser later today. The right picture shows how I typically style it (It's wet, so it's very low, usually it's a bit more risen and not that much backwards). I can't do undercut, been there and done that, doesn't work for me. Do you guys think I would be able to do the Ryan Gosling cut pictured up earlier on this page? Other suggestions? I have 7 hours to my date with the scissors :)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Pre, I've been using "Top Shelf 4 men" control wax for my thick hair and it has a nice balance of control without the plastic look - usually a bit of fanning helps shape it. Don't know if it's available internationally though (Dk here)

I am looking for suggestions, otherwise I will probably just get the usual which is a bit boring by now.
I have 7 hours to my date with the scissors :)

With the way you style it I would recommend doing what would normally be done for an undercut, only leave enough hair for a part instead of completely shaved. That is pretty much the Gosling.

My hair is really thick, and it's hard to find a product that gives me the control I want while keeping my hair from looking like plastic. Anyone got some suggestions for something that'll give it a natural look?

Since no one is responding to this, just going to throw forming cream in there as an option.

I promise everyone I will try some more unknown products once I have some money to throw around.

Hmm after using the suavico firm pomade for a few weeks I have to say Im going to throw in the towel on the straight back undercut.

Stupid double crown make my hair raise up and splits on the left side and theres nothing I can do about it (short of growing my hair really really long and the cutting it)

Its pretty frustrating as the right side is perfect :(

Going to look for something I can try next time I go to the barbers that I can do with this length of hair ontop.

I have always liked the way that style looks wet, but for some reason no matter what, my hair ends up poofing if I do it, so no go.

With the way you style it I would recommend doing what would normally be done for an undercut, only leave enough hair for a part instead of completely shaved. That is pretty much the Gosling.

Since no one is responding to this, just going to throw forming cream in there as an option.

I promise everyone I will try some more unknown products once I have some money to throw around.

Some pics that could help.

On a somewhat related note that George McFly had some sweet hair. I'm surprised he had girl problems.

back-to-the-future.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The only way I would modify that if I ever tried that style again, would be to clip the hair on the sides much much shorter instead of leaving it long enough to brush back. The hair on the side of my head grows outward so slicking it back takes a nasty amount of product or a long hair drying session. Neither of which are fun.

On a somewhat related note that George McFly had some sweet hair. I'm surprised he had girl problems.

back-to-the-future.jpg

Haha, you know I was just watching this last night. I noticed that Biff has a similar style to what we have been recommending, the only difference is that the top of his hair is wayyyyyy way short. 50's stuff is so cool.

I like the style in Midnights picture, think I'll try to bring that picture to the dresser. It's somewhat similar to what I usually get, but I haven't tried styling it exactly like that. Much appreciated, you too Sean :) I will take your word of warning though Sean.

Just found a picture of Biff - not that many good ones show up on google
41435_100003862716202_560992109_n.jpg

This is too short on the sides to work for me, then I'm digging George more ;)

Top Bottom