• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Tom_Cody

Love this hair. I currently get my hair cut about every 3 weeks.

Curious to know though.. Is it even possible for an Asian guy to achieve this hair? I'm half korean/half white..

the sides and back of my head the hair sticks straight out even when short. Anyway of being able to counteract this?
My hair is the same way.

As far as the sides, the only way I have been able to solve the problem is cutting it to a #2 or shorter.

As far as the top, just have your barber thin it out. That seems to have been done in the specific picture you quoted. If you bring that exact picture to a quality barber, they should be able to do you right.

Well got my hair cut last night before going out, had a gay guy come onto me and a girl come onto me. Can't be to bad then!
Ill try an get a decent pic.

kaskade

Well got my hair cut last night before going out, had a gay guy come onto me and a girl come onto me. Can't be to bad then!
Ill try an get a decent pic.

I don't think people realize how much better a decent haircut, nice clothes, and a somewhat fit body can make a man look.

Tabz

my hair
307598_180889875325701_100002140685497_378291_1435922634_n.jpg

n that's what i use...It's perfect!
ClayDoh.jpg

I don't think people realize how much better a decent haircut, nice clothes, and a somewhat fit body can make a man look.

Oh god yeah I know that. Was just taken aback abit after less than 6 hours haha. Its not like the undercut was bad either!

Shitty pic I apologize. Its so much nicer not having hair in my face after a shower and on days when I dont do my hair. Infact its dryed after a shower and i could leave the house and not be concerned about it.

Oh god yeah I know that. Was just taken aback abit after less than 6 hours haha. Its not like the undercut was bad either!

Shitty pic I apologize. Its so much nicer not having hair in my face after a shower and on days when I dont do my hair. Infact its dryed after a shower and i could leave the house and not be concerned about it.

Need better pics. From what I can tell though ... it looks outstanding :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Sean, you and John are two of the best looking dudes on gaf - I wouldn't worry too much about being able to pull off practically any look. ;)

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sean, you and John are two of the best looking dudes on gaf - I wouldn't worry too much about being able to pull off practically any look. ;)

Thanks! I guess i'll give it a shot.

Another video

http://youtu.be/SO94suYGX70

It's kind of like sand and gritty and super matte. Good hold and all that but too strong for me. I like stuff that's very natural and light like mousse/texture cream.

Yes! Someone other than me on here watches this dudes videos!

Also, it seems like you and some other people have tried more products than me. Think you could write up a few more reviews that I can add to the OP for a little variety?

Finally got the cut I've been clamoring for. It looks fantastic. I'll post some decent pictures when I get a chance but man, the confidence boost from getting a good hair cut is insane.

Also, keep posting those pictures, MiD. I dig coming into this thread and constantly seeing new styles.

Yes! Someone other than me on here watches this dudes videos!

Also, it seems like you and some other people have tried more products than me. Think you could write up a few more reviews that I can add to the OP for a little variety?

I've probably seen 90% of mens haircuts videos on youtube. Not really that many out there. I'll write some stuff and edit it into this post later.

Hanz De Fuko Quicksand - Gritty, very unique, alright smell, high hold, very matte, and slightly hard to wash out

AAAACy9C3KsAAAAAAPdOCw.png

Jack Black Texture Cream - Smell pretty bad, Somewhat sticky, kind of like a weak pomade mixed with a wax. Would not try again.

s782243-main-hero.jpg

Bumble and Bumble Straight - Not a standalone product in my opinion but it does help the straightening process and gives the hair a nicer feel

31HE1N3AKRL.jpg

Bumble and Bumble Hair Spray - Good for a finishing touch of hold and shine. The whole B&B line is good for anyone who doesn't like that heavy stick stuff that mens products always seem to be about.

s1270768-main-hero.jpg

Got2b Glued Spray - Haha let this be a lesson to avoid drug store hair products. Bought this when I was a kid and it sucked. Very flaky, not much hold, smells awful.

33195_Blasting_Freeze_spray_350w.jpg

Kevin Murphy Hair Resort - Expensive but for a reason. This stuff is pretty badass, Kevin Murphy makes good stuff all the time for the $$$. Gives the hair that feeling you get after swimming in a pool or ocean also super light and easy to wash out. Not a lot of hold, smells good.

89342572-260x260-0-0_Kevin+Murphy+Kevin+Murphy+Hair+Resort+150+ml.jpg

Enjoy Volumizing Mousse - My go to mousse at the moment. Great value, smells okay, great hold, great volume, pretty damn sticky for a mousse so use sparingly. If anything it's too strong for a mousse. If I could get what it offers in a lighter product it would be perfect

2852.9.jpg

Nexxus Volumizing Mousse - Seemed pretty good, generic smell, washes out easy, not too heavy but Enjoy is better.

220.jpg

KMS Hair Sprays - This brand is like the go to for hair sprays. They make a ton of different kinds for hold, volume, shine, etc. I tried the volume and it was pretty good and the smell wasn't bad.

4SCyEtzLS7s9uQ9y9kVLv0LGrPeRMY4ps0QHDqX4_nUhNRPfKB7ZdLblCSMIk-wtTQ_gm_Ia6c9ibFdA-HwmJPgbiuQZ7Z0XEAmoZnDAbwoBV8LmN6jTvxfUmYugvgaXwCmVAIri4UB7dXqLTi--Pkde=s220-c

Neuma Styling Clay - Organic brand, good hold, washes out easy, low shine, smells amazing. Best for shorter hair so I had to stop using it.

neuma_styling_clay.jpg

Pureology Colour Stylist Fortifying Heat Spray - Good for those of us who like to blow dry or straighten our hair. Could even be used to give the hair a little more body and shine if you don't like styling products. Not much of a smell.

Pureology-CS-Heat-Spray.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Oh no...

I've fucked the OP. I didn't save the then current one either. No pictures or anything. Well, guess I know what I will be doing for the next half hour.

Mik2121

Man, what's up with everybody getting the same haircut these days? You know which one I'm talking about... the sides shaved (or almost) and the top much longer and combed back...

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Man, what's up with everybody getting the same haircut these days? You know which one I'm talking about... the sides shaved (or almost) and the top much longer and combed back...

I could actually use some photos of cuts that are not a variation of this.

I am upgrading the OP so these would be very helpful

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They all decided to be James Dean or something. It's not the first time a particular styling has dominated male hair.

Mik2121

I could actually use some photos of cuts that are not a variation of this.

I am upgrading the OP so these would be very helpful

I know if you start to add variations, it encompasses A LOT of styles, but I'm mostly talking about this:

jm1gjoSM6eJwG.jpg

With the top either completely combed, or slightly messy or curly. It seems to be quite common these days, as faux hawks were a few years ago (I still rock that one though, but then again I've been doing so for many years now lol..)

Anyone have any opinions on Baxter hard water pomade? My barber recommended this to me and I like it quite a bit. Good hold, although struggles with longer hair. Interested to see if anyone else has opinions.

Pretty sure you're talking about an undercut, and yes, they have been quite the rage recently.

I know if you start to add variations, it encompasses A LOT of styles, but I'm mostly talking about this:

jm1gjoSM6eJwG.jpg

With the top either completely combed, or slightly messy or curly. It seems to be quite common these days, as faux hawks were a few years ago (I still rock that one though, but then again I've been doing so for many years now lol..)

I just want this ;(

ryan-gosling-talks-about-his-breakup-with-rachel-mcadams.jpg

But since I'm asian and the sides of my hair stick out.. the chances of me being able to do that are slim to nil.

Anyone have any opinions on Baxter hard water pomade? My barber recommended this to me and I like it quite a bit. Good hold, although struggles with longer hair. Interested to see if anyone else has opinions.

If you like it then who care what anyone else thinks. I like Baxter though they make good stuff and they have a barbershop in LA. I've found that the longer your hair gets the more you have to transition to women's products because they are more suited for that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just want this ;(
That's one of the few looks I'd be able to do. My hair is so extremely fine it hates cooperating with any concept that relies on body and on the sides it goes back like that. Though, it's rather colorless so I'd have to highlight it to get that kind of blonde. Thing is I wear headphones too much and in the winter use too many hats and hoods to have anything that could get messed up.

If you like it then who care what anyone else thinks. I like Baxter though they make good stuff and they have a barbershop in LA. I've found that the longer your hair gets the more you have to transition to women's products because they are more suited for that.
Oh definitely, I was mostly just curious to see if the results varied for anyone else.

Never thought about transitioning to women's products but that totally makes sense. I don't foresee my hair getting THAT long anytime soon, but that's a good tip incase I find myself trying something different.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I hear ya. I have a full head of hair but the way it is, none of these styles would work on me. I have a large forehead and can't grow side burns/facial hair.

That's me, too, but I can still make some of these work. Go outside your comfort zone and try a few of the styles! You might be surprised.

Oh definitely, I was mostly just curious to see if the results varied for anyone else.

Never thought about transitioning to women's products but that totally makes sense. I don't foresee my hair getting THAT long anytime soon, but that's a good tip incase I find myself trying something different.

I prefer to think of them as unisex. I mean, it's just mousse how can that be gender specific.

That's me, too, but I can still make some of these work. Go outside your comfort zone and try a few of the styles! You might be surprised.

I feel like you are underplaying your genetically gifted follicles.

I just want this ;(

ryan-gosling-talks-about-his-breakup-with-rachel-mcadams.jpg

But since I'm asian and the sides of my hair stick out.. the chances of me being able to do that are slim to nil.

Speaking of this.. Does anyone know of any other picture previews from inside this cover issue? Not asking for scans... Just if there were any previews GQ put out that I'm not aware of. I am trying to get other angles for a barber.

maxxpower

I hear ya. I have a full head of hair but the way it is, none of these styles would work on me. I have a large forehead and can't grow side burns/facial hair.

Honestly, if I could grow a beard and a mustache I might be able to pull off these hairstyles. It sucks because all the men in my family(my dad my brothers) can grow some awesome full beards but I can't and I'm 23. =[

Ahasverus

Is there any stylist or good tasted gaffer in here? I'd love someadvice for my hair, I'm kinda desperate right now, no cut seems to fit me, yet I'm more than sure that I'm good looking and I just need a helping hand, I've had it long cut straight curvy and all in between yet I'm stuck, please help me beautyGAF!

Rookje

The thing I hate the most is I like how its styled as I walk out the door, but give it a few hours and my cowlicks fuck it all up.

I can put stuff that holds it in place (like Layrite), but then I get too much of a "slicked back" look. Ugh.

Fou-Lu

The thing I hate the most is I like how its styled as I walk out the door, but give it a few hours and my cowlicks fuck it all up.

I can put stuff that holds it in place (like Layrite), but then I get too much of a "slicked back" look. Ugh.

I know that feeling it's so frustrating and makes doing any kind of styling feel pointless.

Top Bottom