• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

What sort of product works well for styles like these?

My hair isn't quite this long yet, but even still it seems that no matter what I use my thick hair either ends up unruly or flopped under it's own weight.

The best I have found so far is Fudge Matte Hed Gas, but I don't think it would be able to produce those sort of results .. or that may just be me not knowing how to apply these things!

A lot of them are probably mostly natural but things like mousse and hair spray help. Look into bumble and bumble, kevin murphy, and KMS lines of products because they make stuff for longer hair.

More pics,

tumblr_mattn8Aih11qg4knho1_500.jpg

tumblr_me5olyOwiN1r65bg6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m640l92Q7r1qgo5lgo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mebde0OoJO1rzqdv8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_md6radPxTO1r10751o1_500.png

tumblr_mcztq5P8mp1qhodd8o1_500.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
After reading some reviews online, I am kind of regretting ordering Layrite.

$10 isn't much, but I am getting kind of sick of the same water based pomade effect over and over again. I need to try something like Tigi True Wax or Redken 20.

Sigh.

bdrob

A lot of them are probably mostly natural but things like mousse and hair spray help. Look into bumble and bumble, kevin murphy, and KMS lines of products because they make stuff for longer hair.

More pics,

Cheers fella, I will have to a have lookski later.

Did seem to get somewhat better results today by using fudge hair shaper + the head gas, which I picked up from those sites. Wouldn't really have considered using both together before!

You guys ever tried this "Sea Salt" spray or even heard of it? my gf was on about it and maybe thats something the people are using to get that matte/dried kind of look?

Create that tousled beach look all year round with this unique sea salt spray, specially created to add power and lift to your hair while bringing out your natural waves and curls.

FR-Rough-Tousled-Salt-Spray.png

This clever sea salt hair spray is also a perfect way to create a modern matt finish when you’re done styling your locks. The more you use, the better the results

Edit: A Quick google later..

HOW TO CREATE A DRY TEXTURED QUIFF

mooooose

Got an undercut, 1 all around the sides, pretty long on top. Usually I had been getting a one around the sides but blended to the top and now its a legit undercut, a 1 up to the part of my hair.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Jumping into this thread at the suggestion of the Manshion thread.

Here's me with my hair long (today, showing off a coat I bought):

Here's me with it short (about 2 months ago, last time it was cut) I went to a stylist for this one and she suggested I use paste to make it short and messy:

These have been my hair styles for as long as I can remember. I've always had issues with my hair. It never lays down right, and I could never find a style that looks good on me (and find a stylist to actually do it right). At some points I am worse than a woman. My hair just frustrates me beyond belief, which had led me to wearing baseball caps through most of college. I've started to get out of that more and more now, but I need suggestions.

zethren

Banned

Here's me with it short (about 2 months ago, last time it was cut) I went to a stylist for this one and she suggested I use paste to make it short and messy:

These have been my hair styles for as long as I can remember. I've always had issues with my hair. It never lays down right, and I could never find a style that looks good on me (and find a stylist to actually do it right). At some points I am worse than a woman. My hair just frustrates me beyond belief, which had led me to wearing baseball caps through most of college. I've started to get out of that more and more now, but I need suggestions.

Get it cut a bit shorter on the sides and even the back, and keep some of the length up top but have it textured and layered.

You'll probably want a wax, I use American Crew, and then basically just style it how you want at that point. Getting it off your forehead a bit would probably be good, but simply getting it cut so that it isn't all the exact same length all around and then putting some volume in it with some kind of product will automatically do wonders.

Google image search for: mens short hair styles.

Find one you like, and you can even bring it into a stylist and have them go to town on you with it.

Get it cut a bit shorter on the sides and even the back, and keep some of the length up top but have it textured and layered.

You'll probably want a wax, I use American Crew, and then basically just style it how you want at that point. Getting it off your forehead a bit would probably be good, but simply getting it cut so that it isn't all the exact same length all around and then putting some volume in it with some kind of product will automatically do wonders.

Google image search for: mens short hair styles.

Find one you like, and you can even bring it into a stylist and have them go to town on you with it.

I agree with everything but his hair might be too weighed down by something as heavy as a wax. I'd go for a clay/paste or even a cream. Whatever Gosling uses basically, because his hair is very flat by nature.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Layrite is for people who want the sun to shine off their head.

I like my hair to have shine sometimes because I do enjoy the whole 50's nostalgia thing, but layrite has like absolutely no hold whatsoever. This is unless you apply it wet, and even then, it just hardens. This stuff is like gel with a different name.

Grooming cream is my favorite thing in my cabinet now.

zethren

Banned
I agree with everything but his hair might be too weighed down by something as heavy as a wax. I'd go for a clay/paste or even a cream. Whatever Gosling uses basically, because his hair is very flat by nature.

Hmm, yeah. American Crew Forming Cream works great too. I really only have experience with American Crew, so yeah.

Cyclone, definitely do something about those bangs. I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a guy looks good in bangs.

I agree with the guys in that you should try and replicate the Gosling side-part style. It's going to feel weird at first but you'll probably get used to it and love it.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Grooming cream is actually the closest I have gotten to Ryan Gosings strange hair look without a gel like product.

In fact, if it were a little more matte it would be near perfect.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sean, is that the American Crew grooming cream you keep raving about? Or something else? How does it differ from a pomade?
Yes it is American Crew. It is such a strange product, and I understand why they dont call it pomade. You know how when you apply most products to wet hair, it drys crispy? This hasnt done that for me, and I partly wonder if it is because of the product or if I did something else on accident. It drys with the feeling of a really light wax or even a paste. The thing I love about it is that I dont have to apply it dry.

What's the difference between the grooming cream and the forming cream. I've tried the forming one before.

If anyone is looking for volume I've heard this stuff works wonders. At this point I'm either gonna buy this or go back to kevin murphy hair resort.

Aquage%25255B5%25255D.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
What's the difference between the grooming cream and the forming cream. I've tried the forming one before.
Forming cream hardens crispy when applied wet, grooming cream drys like a light wax with an impressive hold.

Applying this to dry hair would be like forming cream if it was reasonably shiny and had more hold.
So it gives you that wet look with out feeling all crunchy and hard? Interesting. I might have to look into that.
I don't know if it looks wet exactly...its shiny but like, slightly rough/pliable

Revoh

So... my hair is approaching the lenght I always say fuck it, and buzz it off.
But I don't want to do it this time.
I really hate how dry my hair is, also I don't know how to style it.
So GAF, what can you recommend me?

does anyone know a good product that gives good hold but makes your hair look like it usually does i.e. not hard and doesn't look like it has product in it? I currently use a dove mousse + got2be pomade combo that works alright but was wondering if there was anything better

does anyone know a good product that gives good hold but makes your hair look like it usually does i.e. not hard and doesn't look like it has product in it? I currently use a dove mousse + got2be pomade combo that works alright but was wondering if there was anything better

There are many texture creams, mousses, and hair sprays that can achieve this look. Avoid pomades and waxes. Remember the key is to work it into the hair when wet or damp then blow dry to get the natural look. The brands I like are Kevin Murphy, Bumble and Bumble, KMS, and that Aquage uplifting foam I posted does the same thing while adding volume.

Generally speaking if it's sticky and thick in your fingers then it's not gonna look natural in your hair.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
There are many texture creams, mousses, and hair sprays that can achieve this look. Avoid pomades and waxes. Remember the key is to work it into the hair when wet or damp then blow dry to get the natural look. The brands I like are Kevin Murphy, Bumble and Bumble, KMS, and that Aquage uplifting foam I posted does the same thing while adding volume.

Generally speaking if it's sticky and thick in your fingers then it's not gonna look natural in your hair.

What would you suggest is good for thick hair? I don't have a problem with volume, but the issue is my hair is pretty stubborn and I need relatively strong hold to get it to do what I want. I'm current using American Crew Forming Cream but it still looks like I have gel in my hair. I apply it right after taking a shower so my hair is wet.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
What would you suggest is good for thick hair? I don't have a problem with volume, but the issue is my hair is pretty stubborn and I need relatively strong hold to get it to do what I want. I'm current using American Crew Forming Cream but it still looks like I have gel in my hair. I apply it right after taking a shower so my hair is wet.
Thats because you need a hair dryer with a diffuser for after you apply it.

For really thick hair the best thing to do is tell the person cutting it to use thinning shears and take the weight out of it. That's the best way to go because products are too much of a hassle and you can put in too little and then put in too much etc. You could avoid blow dying on high heat because that causes volume. So there's really only two ways to flatten hair which is either get it thinned or use a lot of product. If you don't want that gel look then find something more matte like a clay or paste.

MiDNiGHTS or anyone else have any (good) pictures of men pulling off highlights? Obviously I'm not talking full blown Guy Fieri stuff, but just small amounts in dark brown hair. I like how my hair gets lighter in the summer and I was wondering if there was any way to replicate this.

Also, stay strong, Sean. I know you're watching.

MiDNiGHTS or anyone else have any (good) pictures of men pulling off highlights? Obviously I'm not talking full blown Guy Fieri stuff, but just small amounts in dark brown hair. I like how my hair gets lighter in the summer and I was wondering if there was any way to replicate this.

Also, stay strong, Sean. I know you're watching.

The guys on the slikhaar youtube page tend to get highlights that look pretty good but those are videos not pics. Hard to tell when guys in some of these hair pics have highlights because if done right it can look natural.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
For really thick hair the best thing to do is tell the person cutting it to use thinning shears and take the weight out of it. That's the best way to go because products are too much of a hassle and you can put in too little and then put in too much etc. You could avoid blow dying on high heat because that causes volume. So there's really only two ways to flatten hair which is either get it thinned or use a lot of product. If you don't want that gel look then find something more matte like a clay or paste.

Thinning shears eh? I'll give that a shot next time.

I don't actually want to flatten my hair so much as just be able to control it. I like having the volume, I just want to be able to style it properly. I guess I'll look into some clays or pastes.

Thinning shears eh? I'll give that a shot next time.

I don't actually want to flatten my hair so much as just be able to control it. I like having the volume, I just want to be able to style it properly. I guess I'll look into some clays or pastes.

Using thinning tools is essential to a lot of haircuts you see. It helps get a level of symmetry, balance, weight, and other stuff that wouldn't be possible otherwise. For instance, in my case when the hair on the sides grows too long it starts sticking out a lot because it's thick and coarse but with thinning I can keep it long and clean looking.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Using thinning tools is essential to a lot of haircuts you see. It helps get a level of symmetry, balance, weight, and other stuff that wouldn't be possible otherwise. For instance, in my case when the hair on the sides grows too long it starts sticking out a lot because it's thick and coarse but with thinning I can keep it long and clean looking.

Ah, good to know. Alright I'll ask for it next time I'm at the barber and see if it helps.

Anyone else here try American Crew defining paste (orange label)? I've been using it for a couple years, and it's really easy to work into my hair either damp or dry. I feel like its the black sheep of American Crew products because not many stores carry it so I order it through a third party via Amazon. I think you guys should give it a try

kaskade

I'm trying to grow out my hair a bit for an undercut kind of deal.

I found that picture somewhere (reddit I think) and want to go for something like that. I pretty much want it long enough that I can just flop it back. The growing out part is so annoying though. Basically why I haven't done it before. I've probably got another 2-3 months before it starts working that way. I'm not sure if I want to go get it cleaned up or just let it grow wild for a bit.

The guys on the slikhaar youtube page tend to get highlights that look pretty good but those are videos not pics. Hard to tell when guys in some of these hair pics have highlights because if done right it can look natural.
Thanks dude. Yeah, obviously the look I'd be going for is a natural one. Not trying to look like 90's Timberlake or anything here. I might roll the dice and just try something out in the next few months.

I found that picture somewhere (reddit I think) and want to go for something like that. I pretty much want it long enough that I can just flop it back. The growing out part is so annoying though. Basically why I haven't done it before. I've probably got another 2-3 months before it starts working that way. I'm not sure if I want to go get it cleaned up or just let it grow wild for a bit.

I say let it go wild. I tried it the way you're talking about and the downside is if you go to a stylist/barber who doesn't listen to you and cuts it short you gotta wait longer. Although I gotta get mine shortened because my fringe is 7 inches right now, I'm not trying to look like this guy.

tumblr_md24s7bMnz1rkur9co1_250.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

You might try a reddish highlight instead of the typical blonde. I've had that done before and was really happy with the results. Mine was an Irish red iirc, because there are some very faint reddish tones naturally in my hair when the sun hits it.

Jzero

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Thats because you need a hair dryer with a diffuser for after you apply it.

Good call on this, I tried using my hair dryer right after applying it this morning (don't know why I never did this) and it looks a lot more matte and a lot less gel. Now I just need to figure out how to style it. I was going for the Ryan Gosling, but I'm not really sure how to get my hair to act like that:

Feminist-Ryan-Gosling.jpeg

I've been using a hair brush but the thing is my hair doesn't have those large individual strands that you see in that picture, instead I get really small, thin strands that you can't really see from a distance. Should I be using a comb instead? My hands? Not really sure how to approach this. In fact since my hair is so rough I may not actually be able to pull this hairstyle off.

Tom_Cody

RvZJ5.jpg

Those pictures are sort of exactly what I am aiming for but it is taking forever to grow out the top. I had shaved my head over the summer and the top still isn't long to style it back like that. It just sticks mostly up if I try to bring it back (even with a ton of product). Oh well, I'm hoping I will reach the 'flop backwards'
tipping point relatively soon.

waypoetic

Banned

Is picture number two supposed to be "the styled" you? It's the same exact hairstyle.

kaskade

Those pictures are sort of exactly what I am aiming for but it is taking forever to grow out the top. I had shaved my head over the summer and the top still isn't long to style it back like that. It just sticks mostly up if I try to bring it back (even with a ton of product). Oh well, I'm hoping I will reach the 'flop backwards'
tipping point relatively soon.
Apparently hair grows at a rate of like 1/2 inch per month. I guess that's why it feel like it grows so much in the first month when hair is shorter but the longer it is the longer it feels like it takes. I can kind of push it back now I just have to work with it. Usually I'll blow dry my hair back until it's a bit damp. Kind of a pain.

Tom_Cody

Apparently hair grows at a rate of like 1/2 inch per month. I guess that's why it feel like it grows so much in the first month when hair is shorter but the longer it is the longer it feels like it takes. I can kind of push it back now I just have to work with it. Usually I'll blow dry my hair back until it's a bit damp. Kind of a pain.
Right. I know from personal experience that my hair grows almost exactly 1/2" a month or 1/8" a week, which resonates very clearly because that also works out to 1 clipper attachment length per week.

My surprise is mostly due to underestimating just how long my hair would need to get to style it like that. When I try to style is back it ends up looking like this (though obviously not as good):

lht70.jpg

Oh well, at least I've found and intermediate style that I'm happy with while I grow it out.

kaskade

Right. I know from personal experience that my hair grows almost exactly 1/2" a month or 1/8" a week, which resonates very clearly because that also works out to 1 clipper attachment length per week.

My surprise is mostly due to underestimating just how long my hair would need to get to style it like that. When I try to style is back it ends up looking like this (though obviously not as good):

lht70.jpg

Oh well, at least I've found and intermediate style that I'm happy with while I grow it out.

Exactly, that's why I would always cave in and get it cut to avoid the kind of awkward in between stage. The guy I posted above seems like he has a good 5-6 inches up top. I just measured and I seem to be at about 3.

EVOL 100%

Seeing a lot of manshion people here, heh.

Hello Men's Hair Age, what do you guys think I should get for my ugly mug?

3ygjL.jpg

It'd probably be worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of tapering and have really bad experience with that kind of haircut. Also, my hair is freakishly flexible and I don't really need hair products.

zethren

Banned
lht70.jpg

I want that sweater. Nao.

Seeing a lot of manshion people here, heh.

Hello Men's Hair Age, what do you guys think I should get for my ugly mug?

3ygjL.jpg

It'd probably be worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of tapering and have really bad experience with that kind of haircut. Also, my hair is freakishly flexible and I don't really need hair products.

Get the sides cut down for sure, to reduce the very round shape your hair currently has. I mean, I'd give you the same advice I would most anyone: Cut it shorter on the sides and the back, keep some length up top, style how you like.

Top Bottom