• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Anyone got advice for me? I've literally always had my hair short my entire life and am attempting to try and grow it out for the first time but really not sure what I can do with it... I have very thin hair. Here's what I wake up to, and normally what I can do at this point if I'm going to walk out the door... what's the advice to try and make something work/look better here?

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

Rehynn

Anyone got advice for me? I've literally always had my hair short my entire life and am attempting to try and grow it out for the first time but really not sure what I can do with it... I have very thin hair. Here's what I wake up to, and normally what I can do at this point if I'm going to walk out the door... what's the advice to try and make something work/look better here?

Definitely let it grow. Your hair looks like it's pretty easy to work with, so it should work really well for slicked back styles, for example.

I wish I had hair like that, mine's just a stubborn wavy motherfucker:-(

Cake Boss

Banned
Anyone ordered HanzDeFuko products from their site? Do they give you a tracking number for the package? I didn't get anything except for the confirmation email.

Just want to see if I would be getting it before the new years, ordered it on the 18th.

Anyone ordered HanzDeFuko products from their site? Do they give you a tracking number for the package? I didn't get anything except for the confirmation email.

Just want to see if I would be getting it before the new years, ordered it on the 18th.

I buy their stuff off Amazon.

LOCK

I would say don't be afraid to try different products and techniques till you find something you like and actually makes styling your hair easy.

I personally can't live without pomade, hairspray, and a blow-dryer lol

Your styled pic looks a bit weird. The *your left side* looks really flat flat. Like almost too flat. Feels like someone glued it on.

I know you have thin hair but you should get some volume or something so it doesn't look like someone steam rolled your hair to your head.

I have to agree with Gareth, the undercut looks weird on that guy.

Also, leave it to the Italians to cut hair while wearing scarves lol.

mooooose

My hairline is not nearly as bad but it's not great for a traditional slicked back undercut so I have kinda a high and tight to the side with an undercut which looks really good IMO and I've gotten nothing but complements on it.

kaskade

I finally bought some American Crew forming cream again. I really liked it last time but didn't feel like spending the money on it before with xmas and everything. I was using some garnier survivor stuff but it wasn't enough of a hold and my hair kind of started to push forward.

I feel like I could do a lot more than what I currently do (practically nothing). I just kind of push it back and to the side, and I don't use any creams currently (but would like to get some). I think I have the hair for most of the styles. Your suggestions?

8319144961_0770be4c76_c.jpg

rabhw

Looking for a bit of advice for products for my hair.

Its getting thin, and combined with that, its always been quite wiry and puffy if i just let it dry without using any product. I cant seem to find something that works well for my hair type.

Its short on the sides and longer on the top, which i comb backwards and to the side slightly.

Gel, mousse , cream, pomade, any tips gaf?

Rookje

Recent hair pic:

zxcE4.jpg

My recent method is:

- Sumo tech + bed head cocky thickening paste
- Blow dry on hot until dry
- Style with hands then hairspray to hold it

Roofy

I've had this Jimmy Darmody/Michael Pitt undercut for the past year and a half. I need something new. Any suggestions? Really fucking hating David Beckham right now for pushing everyone toward the undercut

When I get my new cut I'm gonna change my routine up with some new products. Probably B&B Thickening Spray as a base then Aquage mousse and some kind of spray at the end. Always gotta blow dry though.

And yes, go for the Zayn Malik.

iqubal

Banned
I got really thick coarse hair. Any suggestions to make it less so lol? Shampoo, leave in conditioner etc.

My only real option as of now has been getting a haircut every 2 weeks.

Fou-Lu

Long hair is driving me crazy and I'm stuck in my tiny hometown where anyone that cuts hair is STILL on vacation. Tempted to put the clippers to my hair with the longest attachment and get it sorted out later.

Those Vincenzo TV guys did a video on Ryan Gosling's hair style from Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Doesn't show anything cutting wise, but does a great job of showing how to style it properly.

I might try this style out. As someone else noted, Gosling's hair in that movie was significantly shorter than this guy's, so I actually might be able to pull it off reasonably well with my current cut.

But next time I go to the salon, I'll probably take a shot of Gosling.

stn

Got some tips for those with baby-fine hair, found something that really works for me. I have hair that is VERY soft, its naturally shiny and fluffy. Not ideal for styling but I've found a few things that work.

1. Get it cut short, make it so that the front doesn't go beyond your hairline. Should look like a buzzcut but with a bit more hair. Ask for the back-half of your top to be very short, so it naturally sticks up. Leave the front down, spike the back-half up. How? After a shower make sure you pat the front end down, blow dry it down. Blow dry the other part up, make sure to hold from the root and let it stay.

Using no products and it works well. Gives me some volume while retaining the natural shine and fluffy look. Really nice texture.

2. Get the same cut I mentioned in #1, but leave the front slightly longer. Blow dry the back-half up and back. It will stick up, will look wild but with volume.

I'd post pics but I fear the randomness of the Internet. I'm going to experiment later with some Mad Men-inspired styles, will see what I get. My hairline doesn't have a straight shape so its not ideal, but works great for the two styles I mentioned. Feel free to ask questions if you're convinced we have the same hair.

Gosling's hair is way shorter on the top then that in the movie.

I might try this style out. As someone else noted, Gosling's hair in that movie was significantly shorter than this guy's, so I actually might be able to pull it off reasonably well with my current cut.

Yeah, most definitely. The hair length is different but the styling is still pretty similar. A good option if you want that look without cutting off too much from the top.

I did that.. I took one from the movie and I got a nearly identical cut. I have pics but I'm out of town for vacation and got the cut the day I flew out. Will upload this weekend. Pretty near spot on.

Yeah, most definitely. The hair length is different but the styling is still pretty similar. A good option if you want that look without cutting off too much from the top.

That hair style was more "Drive" then "Crazy Stupid Love" With that longer hair at the top it totally changes the way it looks.

how do you get something like this:

graziano_pelle.jpg

does it look like he uses some kind of gel? And should I start with even hair length? I have 2 on top 1 on side right now

This is me at the moment, kinda frustrated with how it gets so fluffy after I wash it, but if I don't I am getting bad dandruff :( I normally get a no 3 sides and back, and thinned out on top as it grows quite thick and kinda becomes a mop on top. It's also wavy naturally when it's a bit longer and not wet like in this photo.

I'm wondering if I should try a different style kinda like the undercut? Would it suit me?

photovcz.jpg

dry and all over the place

I have some American Crew Fiber (only works when it's real short after I just get a haircut), Forming Cream, and Pomade. I've found the pomade to be the best but still not that great at the current length, I think because it's my hair is so dry. I'm just using Head & Shoulders anti-dandruff shampoo/conditioner so that could be why it looks and feels so crap...

dsc7388j.jpg

lol, i took the 2nd pic just to show how fluffy/crap it gets when dry. Usually my hair gets to about this length before I get it shaved back/front to a no 3. maybe that 2nd pic is a bad representation because of the lighting/angle. meh, whatever.

yeah, I want to know what would be better shampoo/conditioner so it doesn't go dry.

Rookje

lol, i took the 2nd pic just to show how fluffy/crap it gets when dry. Usually my hair gets to about this length before I get it shaved back/front to a no 3. maybe that 2nd pic is a bad representation because of the lighting/angle. meh, whatever.

yeah, I want to know what would be better shampoo/conditioner so it doesn't go dry.

I like the second pic better actually, if I could I'd rock somethin' like this:

mens-long-waved-hair.jpg

mens-short-curls.jpg

stn

IMO, the best hairstyle is usually one that complements what your hair really wants to do on its own (ex. fall flat, stay up). For you, phatmike, I think that 2nd photo really suits you.

Got my cut today. Went with what I usually go for: #2 on the sides and back, tapered down, long on top, parted to the right. Here's some pics. Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

I had my barber use Baxter clay instead of the hard water pomade (which I own) for a change. I dig the hold but I like a bit more shine in my hair. I might look into picking some up and mixing it with the pomade a bit, would that work at all?

Thanks for the thread. I went through it today and am really happy with the haircut I got afterward.

Used this as a reference for my stylist:
op said:

Ended up like this:
YZ6ib.jpg

Z5Urf.jpg

She used a dry matte wax called keune. It smells good and seems to work well so I bought some.

Top Bottom