• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Tom_Cody

Seeing a lot of manshion people here, heh.

Hello Men's Hair Age, what do you guys think I should get for my ugly mug?

3ygjL.jpg

It'd probably be worth mentioning that I'm not a fan of tapering and have really bad experience with that kind of haircut. Also, my hair is freakishly flexible and I don't really need hair products.
It's kind of hard to answer such an open question. If you go through this thread and pick a few pictures that look good to you people will be able to give you better advice from there.

Tom_Cody

Exactly, that's why I would always cave in and get it cut to avoid the kind of awkward in between stage. The guy I posted above seems like he has a good 5-6 inches up top. I just measured and I seem to be at about 3.
Wow, we bizarrely seem to be in exactly the same hair situation.

I'll make sure just to print a screenshot of the folder size

for real though that's what I want my hair to look like, bleach blondness aside

If it makes you feel any better, that cut was most likely inspired by a men's style in the first place. Looks to me like an undercut.

got an undercut last week (1 on the sides and back) admittedly, i hated it and was pretty shocked/upset with myself. i wasnt used to my hair being so short, because i normally use a 2 and blend it up to the top. it's been a fully week and i feel better about it now. i think going forward i'll go with a 2.

got an undercut last week (1 on the sides and back) admittedly, i hated it and was pretty shocked/upset with myself. i wasnt used to my hair being so short, because i normally use a 2 and blend it up to the top. it's been a fully week and i feel better about it now. i think going forward i'll go with a 2.

I found 1 to be too short but you do then get to like your haircut more in about a week like what's happened to you.
Now I usually get a 1 faded up to a 2 on the sides.

I found 1 to be too short but you do then get to like your haircut more in about a week like what's happened to you.
Now I usually get a 1 faded up to a 2 on the sides.

yeah, this is probably what i'm going to do before xmas to clean it up. that sounds good. i thought i was ready to get such a drastic cut, but i prefer to have a higher fade on the sides now.

Tom_Cody

SUnkd.jpg

From yesterday. The top has reached an annoying length as I try to grow it out. I think I'm going to stop buzzing the sides and just let everything grow out together for a while.

Hair still looks good to me, man. Hard to tell from the picture since it's a little blurry, but I think the length looks fine.

Not sure how I feel about this cut. I can't help but think using an electric razor/trimmer in the back and the sides would've looked better. I like the styling portion of it though. The guy does a pretty good job walking through the steps.

Also, I wonder if that's the grooming cream Sean was raving about?

Not sure how I feel about this cut. I can't help but think using an electric razor/trimmer in the back and the sides would've looked better. I like the styling portion of it though. The guy does a pretty good job walking through the steps.

Also, I wonder if that's the grooming cream Sean was raving about?

Scissor over comb is the only way I get cuts.

Got an appointment booked for this evening at a pretty fancy barbershop in town. They have like memberships that cost $1,500+ a year and stuff. Hoping they do well.

Last time I got a cut was about 3-4 weeks ago so the sides have grown a bit. The top is still pretty short especially the bangs fringe area so they may not do much up there. Hoping for a good fade and bringing a few Gosling pics from Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Got an appointment booked for this evening at a pretty fancy barbershop in town. They have like memberships that cost $1,500+ a year and stuff. Hoping they do well.

Last time I got a cut was about 3-4 weeks ago so the sides have grown a bit. The top is still pretty short especially the bangs fringe area so they may not do much up there. Hoping for a good fade and bringing a few Gosling pics from Crazy, Stupid, Love.

Take some time before the cut to talk it all over with the barber. They can't read your mind so tell them everything.

About to finish my Hanz De Fuko shampoo and conditioner bottles. It's a good product but the only downside is it costs a lot for a small amount and you can only find them online. I'm gonna look at some salons and see if they offer any better volumizing stuff.

Dariee

Love the looks with unequally divided growth i.e. with shaved sides, for instance.

At what kind of hairdresses do you get your hair done if that were the intention: a regular one, a hairdresser specifically doing men's hair or one specialized in 'funky' hair styles?

(I'm fearing the latter would make it 'too punk')

Just got back from my haircut. Went to this place. http://theboardroomsalon.com/

It was really nice... Also pretty expensive haha.

She pretty much used this as a reference as I brought it in.

She didn't cut anything off my existing top because she said it was just the right length. She didn't cut the front because my front part is still too short.. (shorter then she would have cut). She told me to let that grow in. She said my cowlick on my front is still going to the front as opposed to the side. She did a 3 on the sides and faded into a 2 then faded into a 1 and tapered the back.

She asked what product I used and I told her American Crew Pomade. She said it was a bit greasy and I pretty much agree.. It is a bit greasy.

She used Bumble and Bumble products on me... This was the first.. She used it on my front cowlick to help control it a bit. She said I wouldn't need to get it since it would grow out and stop doing what it is doing. I still bought a small one anyways. She also kinda added more volume to my hair with it which was kinda nice.

B17E_152x358.jpg

She then used this as a replacement to my American Crew pomade

B026_152x358.jpg

This is what I ended up as! :p I kinda like it. Can't wait for the front to grow out more so I can come it to the side and back more without it popping back out and up!

Rookje

Anyone use any good hair treatment creams or anything? My hair frizzes so bad if I naturally let it dry.

Last picture before my next haircut. Gotta figure out what to do with the next cut.
Dat volume.

I'm assuming you're planning on keeping the majority of the length, correct? Just mixing it up on the sides and back and maybe a little off the top? Or are you thinking something wild?

Just got back from my haircut. Went to this place. http://theboardroomsalon.com/

This is what I ended up as! :p I kinda like it. Can't wait for the front to grow out more so I can come it to the side and back more without it popping back out and up!
Cut looks great, man. I've used the sumotech before and very much liked it. It's one of the two products my barber regularly recommends to his clients.

Dat volume.

I'm assuming you're planning on keeping the majority of the length, correct? Just mixing it up on the sides and back and maybe a little off the top? Or are you thinking something wild?

Cut looks great, man. I've used the sumotech before and very much liked it. It's one of the two products my barber regularly recommends to his clients.

Thanks man :)

Tom_Cody

Wow thought this was a pic of Ben affleck
Lol, thanks.

Love the looks with unequally divided growth i.e. with shaved sides, for instance.

At what kind of hairdresses do you get your hair done if that were the intention: a regular one, a hairdresser specifically doing men's hair or one specialized in 'funky' hair styles?

(I'm fearing the latter would make it 'too punk')
I go to a place that I would describe at a hipster barbershop/salon:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/manetamed-brooklyn-2

Before finding that place I had tried and failed to get my hair cut the way I wanted at a few other places. Other places seemed uncomfortable with the disconnect between the long and shaved sections. Just make sure to bring a picture or be very specific in using terms like "disconnect", "contrast", and/or "no taper". My current hair-cutter understood exactly what I wanted as soon as I started talking to her but that is not the norm.

Dat volume.

Not sure what to do. I know the fringe is too long right now and I'm not sure if I want to just shorten the sides a bit or go real tight.

I probably wont post a picture because that makes me feel uncomfortable. But I have a very recessed jaw line or chin. What would be a good hair style for me?

Whoa. Love that style. In fact, I might try and go for something like that when I get my hair cut in a couple weeks. How would I go about styling it like that though? Do I just need longer hair? He kind of skipped over that part.

On a side note, I wish I had the balls (and the skills) to cut my own hair. Not only would it save me a ton of money, but I'd be able to cut it like every week and eliminate these lame shaggy stages.

Whoa. Love that style. In fact, I might try and go for something like that when I get my hair cut in a couple weeks. How would I go about styling it like that though? Do I just need longer hair? He kind of skipped over that part.

On a side note, I wish I had the balls (and the skills) to cut my own hair. Not only would it save me a ton of money, but I'd be able to cut it like every week and eliminate these lame shaggy stages.

The styling is just making sure the fringe looks good since it's the only long part. You gotta just let it go up and to the side.

Any recommendations for incredibly thick, dry, curly hair?

Depends on how much work you wanna put in. You can get it thinned, straighten it, and use a conditioner or don't shampoo every day to keep it from getting dry.

I cant work out why you'd do that? like jesus pay £8 and get it done right :/

Cant believe I had a fringe that long for awhile, drove me nuts when I didnt do my hair.

What are you talking about? His skills are legit and his cut is hot.

Yeah but its done to show people that have no idea what they are doing how to do it.. you know DIY and all that..

Looks like he will do a better vid later.

Update:
I'm mike from /fa/. I did this to sort of help with haircut threads. I'll make another one later when I get a hold of a proper camera.

Man if /fa/ means he's from 4chan then that sucks. We gotta get him to leave that garbage and come here.

Top Bottom