• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Look at all this sexy hair. You guys are killing it.

Also mixing pomade and clay is most definitely possible. A lot of guys on youtube do it for great effect.

Pocks

Got my cut today. Went with what I usually go for: #2 on the sides and back, tapered down, long on top, parted to the right. Here's some pics. Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

I had my barber use Baxter clay instead of the hard water pomade (which I own) for a change. I dig the hold but I like a bit more shine in my hair. I might look into picking some up and mixing it with the pomade a bit, would that work at all?

Looks very nice, I especially like the texture on top.

For what it's worth, I've been wondering if I can mix product as well. I used American Crew Fiber when my hair was short, but had to move to a pomade for the longer hair I now have. I personally like lower shine; maybe I should try Forming Cream.

NINJA-EDIT: I see MidNiGHTS answered that for us.. I'll have to give a try tomorrow.

Thanks for the thread. I went through it today and am really happy with the haircut I got afterward.

Used this as a reference for my stylist:

Ended up like this:
YZ6ib.jpg

Z5Urf.jpg

She used a dry matte wax called keune. It smells good and seems to work well so I bought some.

Looks great!

Looks very nice, I especially like the texture on top.

For what it's worth, I've been wondering if I can mix product as well. I used American Crew Fiber when my hair was short, but had to move to a pomade for the longer hair I now have. I personally like lower shine; maybe I should try Forming Cream.

NINJA-EDIT: I see MidNiGHTS answered that for us.. I'll have to give a try tomorrow.

Looks great!

I'm digging that hairstyle luckyboyceo. Hell I might try that out.
Thanks, guys.

Pretty easy style to wear, nothing super fancy about it outside of maybe the texturing, but any decent barber should be able to do that.

Look at all this sexy hair. You guys are killing it.

Also mixing pomade and clay is most definitely possible. A lot of guys on youtube do it for great effect.
Yeah I figured there would be some videos online about it. I need to do some research tomorrow when I get back from class. I've been wearing this clay all day and I really dig how well it holds everything in place. Just needs a little shine and it'd be perfect.

I have really fine, thin hair, and its long and shaggy as of now. i want to get it cut quite a bit shorter, but my sideburns appear to be very wispy and might not look good at all, any recommendations?

Scirrocco

Hey Hair gaf.

Can anyone recommend some good styles for medium to long hair? I've decided to grow mine out a bit, just to see what it does. I'll try to post pictures later, but right now its still in the process of growing, so its only about medium length, down about midway to my neck. The main issue is that is has just the slightest curl to it, not quite enough to be curly, but enough to be a pain to style. Its manageable with product but makes long straight looks difficult.

New visit at the sallon with a new hairdresser came out with a result (and the first time my girlfriend has appreciated a haircut, I believe!)

Previous visit:

New visit:
9QSyj.jpg

She cut it a bit different, varying the length on the top, and cutting one of the sides shorter, and styled it without the parting I normally do. I quite like it, feel a few years younger :) And I can always revert to parting the hair if I can't style it as well as she did ;)

That's a solid look, man. Definitely makes you look younger. Nothing wrong with the first one though, just rotate the style depending on how you feel or what you're wearing. That's the nice thing about a cut like that.

sEeAr.jpg

The long bangs and sideburns are to compensate for my significant nose.
I use Surf Hair by Garnier, it's pretty decent and cheap too.

Fou-Lu

Hair cut is finally happening tomorrow, still not entirely sure on what I'm going for, might just go with the Gosling look.

Roofy

New visit at the sallon with a new hairdresser came out with a result (and the first time my girlfriend has appreciated a haircut, I believe!)

Previous visit:

New visit:
http://i.imgur.com/9QSyj.jpg[/MG]

She cut it a bit different, varying the length on the top, and cutting one of the sides shorter, and styled it without the parting I normally do. I quite like it, feel a few years younger :) And I can always revert to parting the hair if I can't style it as well as she did ;)[/QUOTE]

You look a lot like Chris Taylor of Grizzly Bear

Got my cut today. Went with what I usually go for: #2 on the sides and back, tapered down, long on top, parted to the right. Here's some pics. Sorry for the crappy iPhone photos.

I had my barber use Baxter clay instead of the hard water pomade (which I own) for a change. I dig the hold but I like a bit more shine in my hair. I might look into picking some up and mixing it with the pomade a bit, would that work at all?

Love it. Looks identical to mine though my bangs need a tad more growing to get the full effect

Gosling look ftw.

cacophony

how often do you guys get a haircut? i got one 2 months ago and im not sure if i want to go again or wait a little longer... i just despise getting them lol

how often do you guys get a haircut? i got one 2 months ago and im not sure if i want to go again or wait a little longer... i just despise getting them lol
In a perfect world, I'd go every 3 weeks.

More realistically it's like once every 4-5. Usually by then the back and sides are in serious need of a trim. Also by then my barber has probably texted me asking if I'm dead or not.

Doodis

How much does everyone usually pay for a cut? I've been going to cheap/crappy places for years (Great Clips, Supercuts, etc.). I'd kind of like to go somewhere a bit more professional, but I'm worried about the damage it will do to my wallet.

Also, any other curly-haired freaks in here? All these photos of great straight hair just make me cry. I can never figure out what to do with my hair.

Almost a year since i got a haircut. and thinking of something new. i sported a mohawk and got almost a shaved head. what else i can do with a big head. i'll look through this thread and see.

Lkr

How much does everyone usually pay for a cut? I've been going to cheap/crappy places for years (Great Clips, Supercuts, etc.). I'd kind of like to go somewhere a bit more professional, but I'm worried about the damage it will do to my wallet.

Also, any other curly-haired freaks in here? All these photos of great straight hair just make me cry. I can never figure out what to do with my hair.

going to a chain doesn't always equate to crap. i go to hair cuttery and have been going to the same lady for a year. it is more of finding someone who does a good job. i went in today, showed a picture of a style i wanted to try, and it went well.

More realistically it's like once every 4-5. Usually by then the back and sides are in serious need of a trim. Also by then my barber has probably texted me asking if I'm dead or not.

i've been doing 4-5 for the past six months. i don't know how i lived before that.

The Boardroom is my expensive choice. $55.00 but comes with a lot of pampering that sounds girly but feels awesome. Shampoo and cut, facial scrub, scalp massage, hot towel, arm and hand massage, paraffin hand wax thing. It is pretty awesome.

http://theboardroomsalon.com/

Floyd's is a chain thought not huge but it's upscale. They have some great people there that seem to know what they are doing. It comes with a cut and shampoo along with massage and hot towel. Thy also clean the neck with hot shaving cream and razor. This goes for $25.00

http://www.floydsbarbershop.com/

I'm 25 and I'm losing hair. I'm thinning. I'm not bald yet but I think I will be there in the next couple of years.

FUCK!!!

What can I do other than just sit and watch?

I must ask... How is he styling your hair to be so clean on the comb look. Whenever I get home I can never get it so perfectly clean and without hairs sticking out in a few spots.

What type of comb are you using and how fine is it? Also exact products?

Right now I'm using Bumble and Bumble Sumotech but it feels a bit too dry on the look. I've used American Crew Pomade but that is almost too oily.

I must ask... How is he styling your hair to be so clean on the comb look. Whenever I get home I can never get it so perfectly clean and without hairs sticking out in a few spots.

What type of comb are you using and how fine is it? Also exact products?

Right now I'm using Bumble and Bumble Sumotech but it feels a bit too dry on the look. I've used American Crew Pomade but that is almost too oily.
I use Baxter Hard Water Pomade and an ACE comb that my barber gave me (the same one he uses). It's just a pretty generic comb that has a fine tooth side and extra fine side. I use the fine tooth side, the bottom part of the comb in this picture, for my hair:

Keep in mind, the photo I posted used Baxter Clay Pomade, which is strikingly different from the Hard Water Pomade. MUCH more hold and less of a shine. I don't actually own any, but I'm going to pick some up this weekend because I really dig how well it holds everything in place.

If you're wondering about the part of my hair, I usually start by combing the top of my hair over to the right and then comb the area that's going to be parted downwards. I then go through the part and comb the loose hairs over in the direction they should be going. I'm using a three-way mirror for all of this as well. Finish with some hands and lightly patting down some areas (like the top) and that's about it. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that. Isn't the fine tooth technically the top of that comb?

I haven't heard of Baxters. May need to try that out and so what you were thinking earlier... Mixing both together.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to think of a way to describe the size of the comb without saying "normal" lol.

And yeah, Baxter makes great stuff. A little bit pricier than most ($18), but it's been my favorite and really good for people with our length of hair. Like I said, I'm probably going to pick up the Clay Pomade this weekend, so when I do I'll report back on my results of mixing the two together.

Pocks

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to think of a way to describe the size of the comb without saying "normal" lol.

And yeah, Baxter makes great stuff. A little bit pricier than most ($18), but it's been my favorite and really good for people with our length of hair. Like I said, I'm probably going to pick up the Clay Pomade this weekend, so when I do I'll report back on my results of mixing the two together.

I tried the mixing today and it worked quite well. I'm going to use a little less pomade in my next mixture as I prefer a lower shine — but American Crew Fiber by itself no longer works with my hair length.. and the pomade by itself if far too shiny.

Also, I typically pay $15 for my haircut. Ideally I'd be going every two weeks, but it usually turns into a month due to my laziness. My hair, particularly the sides, usually looks like arse toward the end of the third.

I'd just imagine (at least with my hair) that after like an hour the hair would compress down look totally different.

As someone who actually does styles like that it's really tough. Moving around, wind, or whatever completely messes it up at any moment. I guess if you use enough hairspray or something you can really lock it in.

As someone who actually does styles like that it's really tough. Moving around, wind, or whatever completely messes it up at any moment. I guess if you use enough hairspray or something you can really lock it in.
So do you end up having to restyle pretty frequently during the day. Will whatever product you used in the morning be still effective?

Croc

Banned
Just got a haircut the other day from a friend of mine. He's now working professionally as a barber in Nashville, so if any of you live down there I'd highly recommend seeking him out. It's Mic Fox at Parlour and Juke.

The before picture is the closest thing I have to a good comparison pic (opening gifts Christmas morning).

I absolutely love the cut but next time I think I'll go for a bit longer on the bangs. I like having longer bangs to be able to do lots of stuff with.

Nice cut, Croc. I have something pretty similar.

I'd get rid of the beard, but if you can, grow some scruff out and shape it better. I think facial hair could be a good look on you assuming it's not a neck beard.

Got Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and the Conditioner. Seems to be really popular online although somewhat pricey.

Paul-Mitchell-Tea-Tree-Special-Shampoo-and-Conditioner.jpg

So do you end up having to restyle pretty frequently during the day. Will whatever product you used in the morning be still effective?

Well if the cut is done right and you have the hair for it then you can kind of just put your hand through your hair throughout the day and have it look alright. Pretty much all products start to wear out throughout the day but it shouldn't be a major issue if you get the quality ones.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I haven't had a haircut in almost 2 years =/

No good barber here

Almost all around me are Dominican who do tape-up, shapes up, or stupid cuts

Sucks so bad ; ;

Same goes for my Beard, need a good Barber who will shape it right!

So finally uploaded my pics from my haircut last Sunday. It has grown out a bit and my hair is more long on top and looking a lot like luckyboyceo's now.

I love it. Glad the bangs finally grew in some and now they don't stick out and hold nicely with the rest.

Sorry for terribad pictures.

LProtag

Today I also got the short back and sides with long front cut. Not a super difference in the length though, like an undercut. I had the guy style it so I can wear it back and to the side, and it ended up swooping over and looked kinda good, we didn't even use any product. After I got home and showered to get all the lingering hair off my head, it wouldn't do that anymore without product.

Was it maybe the shampoo and stuff they washed my hair with that made it easier to manage like that?

nomis

Got Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo and the Conditioner. Seems to be really popular online although somewhat pricey.

Paul-Mitchell-Tea-Tree-Special-Shampoo-and-Conditioner.jpg

Well if the cut is done right and you have the hair for it then you can kind of just put your hand through your hair throughout the day and have it look alright. Pretty much all products start to wear out throughout the day but it shouldn't be a major issue if you get the quality ones.

The. Best. Shit.

Look for gift sets to go on sale. They're usually slightly smaller bottles but you can save a lot of money overall.

Kozak

Banned
I too got the short sides and back with length on top recently.

Im only wondering why the hell didn't I opt for this before!

Edit: disconnected sides

Top Bottom