• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

DatDude

Banned
Dude, what products are you currently using? You can probably get a similar look with a decent amount of clay pomade.

I'm not really familiar with any products. I have a small jar of hair wax that works like shit.

I'm not really in the "loop" in terms of what the good products are, and aren't.

Sean included a lot of good product reviews by Midnights in the OP, you should check those out.

Off the top of my head, American Crew is super popular and accessible. I haven't used their products personally, but I know a lot of people who have and have loved them. Pretty popular in this thread as well. I tend to be partial to Baxter's products but I've also used John Allan in the past and would recommend both.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
If I wasn't saving for a Filco Majestouch ninja, I would totally buy some baxter pomade right now to try out.

Minimal AC pomade might give you the look you want. I would wait for Midnights to reply. I may have made this thread, but he is the expert.

Yeah Midnights is the hair god so definitely hold out to see what he says.

Also lol at me being drunk enough to think Filco Majestouch Ninja was a type of hair product. I was genuinely confused when google gave me keyboards. Would be a badass name if it was.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Yeah Midnights is the hair god so definitely hold out to see what he says.

Also lol at me being drunk enough to think Filco Majestouch Ninja was a type of hair product. I was genuinely confused when google gave me keyboards. Would be a badass name if it was.

I wish Filco could make hair products as good as their keyboards

Wazzim

Banned
I started using wax and I think girls like look, might just be a placebo. How much of it do you guys use? It's obviously not meant to be used in large quantities right?

Any style tips for men with long hair?

My hair is around shoulder length.

I really like this style, but I'm not sure how he achieved the volume

Disney_s_Prom_Star_Thomas_McDonell_Shares_Why_His_Own_Prom_Was_Weird_.jpg

Don't worry about wax or pomade. What you want is as much volume as humanly possible. You gotta use a volumizing conditioner, then a volumizing mousse, blow dry on high heat to add more body and tussle the hair to get good friction as blow drying. Then, use a volumizing hair spray or something. Just don't weigh it down because that's counter productive...you wanna build natural volume. It's easier for some people because their hair is just thick and coarse.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone else rock the daily bed head look still? I haven't actually needed to focus on my hair all week because it looked that damn good when I rolled out of bed. Naturally tussled and wavy, but still a semblance of my normal hair style.

More important than products is not shampooing your hair too frequently. If you do it too often, your hair loses its natural oils, looks worse and is harder to style. This may not apply to people with very oily hair or dandruff etc.

More important than products is not shampooing your hair too frequently. If you do it too often, your hair loses its natural oils, looks worse and is harder to style. This may not apply to people with very oily hair or dandruff etc.
I am so bad at this. Such a bad habit to shampoo and condition my hair every shower. So should I do it every other day both shampoo and condition?

I've never went without so I don't really know how oily my hair would get and how many days to hold off.

It's a very individual thing, you gotta find out what's right for you. Some people could go a week, some 3-4 days, some need to do it often. I personally can't go past two days but I'm one oily motherfucker.

I am so bad at this. Such a bad habit to shampoo and condition my hair every shower. So should I do it every other day both shampoo and condition?

I've never went without so I don't really know how oily my hair would get and how many days to hold off.

As others have said, it really differs for everyone. I experimented with several alternatives to shampoo over the past year. Some nice alternatives are baking soda and apple cider vinegar rinses, or jojoba oil extract. Ultimately I've settled on using a moisturizing shampoo that my stylist recommended twice a week. There's a bit of an adjustment period for your hair and scalp, but after a year of doing this my hair looks a lot healthier, my hair is way easier to style (and holds the style too) and I have a lot of natural curl I've never had before.

Jake.

Sean included a lot of good product reviews by Midnights in the OP, you should check those out.

Off the top of my head, American Crew is super popular and accessible. I haven't used their products personally, but I know a lot of people who have and have loved them. Pretty popular in this thread as well. I tend to be partial to Baxter's products but I've also used John Allan in the past and would recommend both.

the entire AC range is garbage.

Just got another cut today. This time they scissor cut the sides and back which I've never had done but she recommended it.

It came out well unfortunately I don't think I can do it this way from now on. I have asian hair so I have to probably get this hair cut in maybe less than 2 weeks because she didn't do it too short. I may just go back to the #2 on sides which I think was a tad shorter and with a taper down to my neck.

She didn't style it right but I will fix that :) She did style it a different way and it wasn't too terrible but I think she nailed what I wanted which was of course my norm.. The Gosling look from Crazy, Sexy, Love.

I did buy this though! Kept seeing it in those YT videos we keep posting and he always uses it. Decided.. why not!

B01J_152x358.jpg

params7

Banned
my hair dries out too fast and begins to look all mushy/frizzy shortly after bath. I don't know what to do to make it better. Tried 'moisturizing' shampoos but none of them really help and if I don't shampoo even for a day, my hair gets this bad greasy/oily feel and look that I hate.

Any advice?

hiryu64

No idea if it's been discussed here, but I haven't used shampoo in two months, and my hair has never felt or looked better. I simply rinse it with water and take a brush with me in the shower. Easier to style, far less dandruff, feels super soft. Only issue is that it smells like hair and not like lilac or whatever. Also it was super-greasy for a few weeks, but that seems to be stabilizing. I don't plan on going back any time soon. Those of you that have troublesome hair should consider trying to go shampoo-free.

No idea if it's been discussed here, but I haven't used shampoo in two months, and my hair has never felt or looked better. I simply rinse it with water and take a brush with me in the shower. Easier to style, far less dandruff, feels super soft. Only issue is that it smells like hair and not like lilac or whatever. Also it was super-greasy for a few weeks, but that seems to be stabilizing. I don't plan on going back any time soon. Those of you that have troublesome hair should consider trying to go shampoo-free.

I tried this once. My scalp was itching so bad it was insane.

hiryu64

I tried this once. My scalp was itching so bad it was insane.

How long did you go without before going back? There's definitely a transition period, and it's different for everyone. YMMV, of course. Do you have dermatitis, by chance? Mine hasn't gone away completely, but it seems to have minimized at the very least. I can feel the itchy sores only when I brush over them as opposed to all the time. And, of course, my dandruff has lessened dramatically. It definitely got worse before it got better though.

How long did you go without before going back? There's definitely a transition period, and it's different for everyone. YMMV, of course. Do you have dermatitis, by chance? Mine hasn't gone away completely, but it seems to have minimized at the very least. I can feel the itchy sores only when I brush over them as opposed to all the time. And, of course, my dandruff has lessened dramatically. It definitely got worse before it got better though.

I could only make it like 4 days. Not sure if I got dermatitis.

What shampoo do you guys use? I'm looking into trying something different.

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree line. Best I've ever used.

Just got another cut today. This time they scissor cut the sides and back which I've never had done but she recommended it.

It came out well unfortunately I don't think I can do it this way from now on. I have asian hair so I have to probably get this hair cut in maybe less than 2 weeks because she didn't do it too short. I may just go back to the #2 on sides which I think was a tad shorter and with a taper down to my neck.

She didn't style it right but I will fix that :) She did style it a different way and it wasn't too terrible but I think she nailed what I wanted which was of course my norm.. The Gosling look from Crazy, Sexy, Love.

I did buy this though! Kept seeing it in those YT videos we keep posting and he always uses it. Decided.. why not!

B01J_152x358.jpg
Nice, dude. Let me know what you think of that and how it works out for you, especially since we have similar cuts. I'm always on the lookout for new products.

I'm trying this in strides. I used to shampoo every morning but now I'm going at least 48 hours and may move over to 72 hours in the near future. So far I love it, my hair feels way better.

Got a cut coming tomorrow. Grew my hair out for months in anticipation of this, only problem is finding a picture that has everything I'm looking for.

So exciting, this is my christmas eve.

kaskade

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree line. Best I've ever used.

I was thinking about trying it out as I saw it in store but it was a little expensive for me to buy without not really knowing about it. Where is it generally cheapest?

hiryu64

Info on seborrheic dermatitis

It's possible that you have it. If you experience a lot of hair loss and have concentrated itchy spots/flakes, then you likely have it. You didn't mention if you have itchy scalp while using shampoo.

Also, sorry to say, but four days is NOT enough time for your body to reestablish equilibrium and stop overproducing sebum. It's gonna take a while (I'm talking weeks, but again YMMV) for everything to even out. I'd recommend getting a fine-toothed comb and combing while you shower to get the excess sebum out of your scalp, as that can exacerbate dermatitis.

I'm trying this in strides. I used to shampoo every morning but now I'm going at least 48 hours and may move over to 72 hours in the near future. So far I love it, my hair feels way better.
Ah, the "cheating" method. ;) Some people apparently have success with that, but I dunno. I feel like it would completely defeat the purpose of going without shampoo. But if it works for you, keep at it!

Info on seborrheic dermatitis

It's possible that you have it. If you experience a lot of hair loss and have concentrated itchy spots/flakes, then you likely have it. You didn't mention if you have itchy scalp while using shampoo.

Also, sorry to say, but four days is NOT enough time for your body to reestablish equilibrium and stop overproducing sebum. It's gonna take a while (I'm talking weeks, but again YMMV) for everything to even out. I'd recommend getting a fine-toothed comb and combing while you shower to get the excess sebum out of your scalp, as that can exacerbate dermatitis.

Well, I do get dandruff so maybe I do. I never get itchy scalp if I shampoo regularly, I also don't lose hair. The problem is if I go any longer than a couple days without shampooing I get intense itchy scalp and oilyness. So bad that I can't even sleep because it's bugging me all night. That's why 4 days was my limit.

hiryu64

Well, I do get dandruff so maybe I do. I never get itchy scalp if I shampoo regularly, I also don't lose hair. The problem is if I go any longer than a couple days without shampooing I get intense itchy scalp and oilyness. So bad that I can't even sleep because it's bugging me all night. That's why 4 days was my limit.

Yeah, sounds right. It definitely gets worse before it gets better. I actually went the hardcore route and did only water, but a lot of people that give up shampoo use baking soda/apple cider vinegar mixtures in its place. Supposedly that eases the transition away from shampoo (and also eliminates the "hair smell" to boot). If you ever wanted to try again, maybe you could do that? Also make sure that you brush while in the shower for the reasons I mentioned.

The Chef

Gentlemen,
I have extremely thin hair. In order to make it look like an 80 year old man I blow dry it and then use a rough paste to thicken it up.
For thin hair whats the best ways to make it look thicker? Should I keep it short like I have or grow it out longer?

Yeah, sounds right. It definitely gets worse before it gets better. I actually went the hardcore route and did only water, but a lot of people that give up shampoo use baking soda/apple cider vinegar mixtures in its place. Supposedly that eases the transition away from shampoo (and also eliminates the "hair smell" to boot). If you ever wanted to try again, maybe you could do that? Also make sure that you brush while in the shower for the reasons I mentioned.

I feel like I got a pretty good thing going right now. Maybe one day in the future I'll get creative and try stuff but a little dryness after shampooing is the only negative right now.

Gentlemen,
I have extremely thin hair. In order to make it look like an 80 year old man I blow dry it and then use a rough paste to thicken it up.
For thin hair whats the best ways to make it look thicker? Should I keep it short like I have or grow it out longer?

The shorter you keep it, the less noticeable the thinness becomes.

bjb

Banned
tumblr_lzfwvjFB9f1qhjrkjo1_500.jpg

This is pretty much identical to the cut I got last week. I wanted to keep my longish hair on the top, but have it short on the sides. Lots of flexibility for style that way (imo). Initially she did a 4, but I later asked for a 3. Sides might be too short now, kinda look like old school Justin Timberlake.

Also I made a post here if anyone is experiencing hair loss. Might find it informative.

Zekes!

I picked up some Baxter's Soft Water pomade today. Gonna try it out properly tomorrow, but I put some in my hair dry today and liked it so far. I have curly hair, and generally like my hair's curls looser and more straight/wavier and have always found it a pain to try and style my hair the way I want.

Going with these two pics. I couldn't find a perfect pic so I'm gonna talk about it with my stylist.

Back/side, everything here looks good except the visible line on the fade. I'm gonna go for a smooth graduated fade with no lines
tumblr_mebde0OoJO1rzqdv8o1_500.jpg

Front, shorten the fringe and add texture/clean it up
152137293632080534_9PeCJ5iM_c.jpg

The guy I go to is pretty damn good so we'll see what magic he can work.

Alastor

GAF, help me here. What do I do with my massive forehead and long, curly, thin hair? There's not enough of them to cover it and I usually end up with my clean forehead in the front and hair on the sides (like in 1st photo).

I was thinking about embracing it and cutting the front and the sides, leaving them just in the back and always having a ponytail (or doing something different with them, I have no idea. I just don't want to cut them all short).

I need an advice, photos of something that you think would look good on me would be great.

DatDude

Banned
Honestly, why the fuck hasn't there been a cure for baldness yet?

Technology has advanced so much. It's 2013 for fuck sakes. We can fully regrow skin on burn patients, but we can't grow some simple hair?

Plus think of the fucking money the company who creates the cure would make.

Only 20% of people by the age of 70+ will still have a full head of hair, everyone else will either be bald or thinning like crazy.

Scientists give us a cure. It's beyond time,.

Top Bottom