• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have a cut coming Thursday and I might do the Gosling thing again. It didn't quite turn out like that last time, but ended up looking better than my usual anyways. I don't have any fancy stylists around here, but the girl I go to does a decent enough job.

Someone here recommended the razor length to get last time and the stylist recommended we do one length longer that time to see if I like it. May go shorter this time.

Here's me now for example (a month and a half after the last cut). I've just been sweeping the bangs to the side as I agree with you all that it looks better than hanging bangs. (Apologies for blurry)

F53EF8CF-7902-41AF-A821-1119D826C633.JPG

Guys, I'm in hair heaven right now. This is by far the best cut I've ever had. It's got everything I've ever preached about. The subtle and custom blend fade, the textured long on top, the natural but clean and blended neckline. I didn't even get to style it much yet but the versatility is insane. I can go left, right, back, up, down, whatever I feel like.

That's hot, man. Can't really see all the details you're talking about due to the camera quality, but I can imagine it's fantastic.

A good haircut is such a huge confidence boost. I literally feel like I'm the king of the world anytime I get out of the barbershop.

That's hot, man. Can't really see all the details you're talking about due to the camera quality, but I can imagine it's fantastic.

A good haircut is such a huge confidence boost. I literally feel like I'm the king of the world anytime I get out of the barbershop.

Cam quality is terrible, I'll try to take a better pic or two of the taper. It really is something.

You should give consideration to what I did and hold off on the cuts for a while to get a good amount of growth. That way the person cutting has more to work with.

M_A_C

Help needed with this hair... I usually have it short and crazy/spiky until it gets about this length and it starts bugging the crap out of me and cut it short again. It's kinda curly when it gets long so I can't do a whole lot... I was thinking of leaving it longer on top this time and trying something different. What do you guys think?

Thanks MiDNiGHTS for your reviews. I just got Hanz De Fuko Quicksand and it's great. I'm bad at trying to make my hair look good but all I had to do with this was run it through my hair and it looks sweet!

Pocks

I got this cut about a week ago, here's a shoddy webcam picture

#2 on the sides, blended, 3 inches long on the top, styled with a mixture of American Crew Fiber and a medium sheen pomade

HCHZn.jpg

Hey GAF. My hair has reached that awkward stage where I'm not sure what to do with it. I'm thinking of maybe going for a medium length shaggy look. I got tired of keeping it short. My hair is wild and thick. Any suggestions? Also if I choose to grow it out for awhile is there anything I can do in the meantime to keep it from looking like I'm a bum who cant afford a haircut? Especially around the ears something I can ask a stylist to do.

Nearly everything posted in here is a variation of an undercut. Can someone post some medium length shaggy cuts with longer sides? I need inspiration.

mooooose

I got this cut about a week ago, here's a shoddy webcam picture

#2 on the sides, blended, 3 inches long on the top, styled with a mixture of American Crew Fiber and a medium sheen pomade

HCHZn.jpg
Did you go to a barber or salon? I'm afraid my haircut that I want is getting too complex for my barber but idk what to do or where to go.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm in desperate need of a cut, but can't get in for another week. Luckily some Gatsby Air Rise made its way into my possession recently and it's making things quite bearable. It's much easier to use in my absurdly thick mane than their Spiky Edge paste was; could barely get my fingers through the hair when using that stuff, but at least it's good for the first few weeks after a cut.

Be still, my beating heart. o_o I enjoy that this practically doubles as a new "hot men" thread, heh.

Pocks

Did you go to a barber or salon? I'm afraid my haircut that I want is getting too complex for my barber but idk what to do or where to go.

I went to a barber. I showed him a picture from my tablet — so don't be afraid to talk to him about the cut. I felt a bit nervous holding up the line and whatnot initially, but I said screw and just had a quick chat with him. I'm glad I did.

For what's it worth, he actually didn't touch the top at all. He just did the #2 and the blending.

ucdawg12

i noticed in the DIY video midnights posted last month (http://youtu.be/zauHUVzUDy8 for reference) the guy seemed to only grow out the hair on the top front half of his head rather than the whole top.

is this an actual kind of cut (outside of like what seems to be a slightly softer undercut on the sides)? my hair in the front is like .5" less than him but i dunno, i don't like the way it puffs up and slopes down when i style it back because of all the long hair thats underneath it on the back half of the top of my head, it doesnt lay flat really but im not sure if i should just keep growing it out in hopes that'll even out once the back half catches up in length with the front half or if it'll always look like this

also i noticed he grows out the right (or left w/o mirror) front longer than the left, dunno if that is intentional or not

I was watching that video again today. My hair isn't nearly as long but I think I'm going to try and emulate that style with my next cut. Anyone know how to style it like he did in the video though? He skipped over that part.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Cool stuff thanks. I've had my eye on this look.
CasualShagHaircut.jpg

Not sure if my hair can do that or if it would even really suit me.

My hair consistently looks like this after I shower, no idea how I would keep it like that though, changes when it dries.

Going in for a cut tomorrow, going to continue to sport the same look I have right now, which is essentially this:

aYRMA.png

I've gotten loads of compliments on it since I switched from what varied from an young Bieberesque look to Ohgodthatboyhastoomanylocks.jpeg. I'm quite happy with it. Lately though it has gotten too thick and the bangs are getting too much to manage, so it's time. I think I'm going to go with a hybrid of it and an undercut though for the warmer months, something a lot like this:

Fuuuuck got to the point where Im bored with my hair cut allready.

Need some short style inspiration if theres any about? failign that Ill take the pic in again from the last change and try one last time as it may have just reached grown out stage.

The top or the whole thing? Cause I've been growing out the top for a while now, it's the longest I've had it in years. Not sure if I could grow out the sides/back though, I just feel super shaggy.

Let the top go mad long but keep the rest short. That way you got a lot to work with up front. Imagine the cut you got now but with a long top that you can sweep up and across. It would be god-like.

Yeah man, that's my plan. I haven't touched the top since probably September so I've got a real good amount of length on there compared to what I normally have. Love how many different styles I can wear.

Also, for the record, that Baxter clay pomade was one of the best hair product purchases I've made in a long time. I've actually ditched the hard water and been using the clay exclusively now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man I don't think anyone in this town can do some of the cuts you guys get. I can't even get my stylist to get the Gosling cut 100%. My hair needs some help.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I would offer advice, but I really don't have much.

I only brought in a picture once, but I found that knowing clipper sizes and stuff helped me communicate with my barber more. The cut I have now is based on a drop fade video that Midnights posted here weeks ago. 0.5-whatever fade on the sides. I just leave the top longer.

Sean that cut is fantastic. The styling is on point too. You still using that AC Grooming Cream you were raving about so much? Also, how do you get your part so clean?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Sean that cut is fantastic. The styling is on point too. You still using that AC Grooming Cream you were raving about so much? Also, how do you get your part so clean?

Thanks!

In those pictures, the only thing in my hair is really terrible barber gel that he must put in every time I go. Other than that, yeah I use grooming cream, but I am probably going to try Hanz soon. I really can't stand the smell of grooming cream, and it has a habit of pulling my hair to a point of it falling out in the shower :(

I think I cheated on the clean part. One of the people working there had this amazing haircut, and I asked how he got the part to look like that. He pretty much used a razor on the skin right where the hair parts, so I had my barber do the same.

Thanks!

In those pictures, the only thing in my hair is really terrible barber gel that he must put in every time I go. Other than that, yeah I use grooming cream, but I am probably going to try Hanz soon. I really can't stand the smell of grooming cream, and it has a habit of pulling my hair to a point of it falling out in the shower :(

I think I cheated on the clean part. One of the people working there had this amazing haircut, and I asked how he got the part to look like that. He pretty much used a razor on the skin right where the hair parts, so I had my barber do the same.
Interesting. I've actually been thinking about doing this but I wasn't sure how it would look when my hair isn't styled. I was also concerned with how it would look as the hair starts growing back. You'll have to post your thoughts after you have it for a few weeks, cause I might give that a try with my next cut.

Top Bottom