• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Rehynn

Straightening is something some guys use. I do it.

Yeah, I go through phases. Usually depends on the length of my hair. Right now it's pretty long on the top, so I straighten it, and it also works great with the pomade I use.

I try not to wash my hair too often, and I can easily go 3-4 days without washing it if it's straightened with some water-based pomade in it. If I leave it wavy, it looks pretty bad after 2 days.

It's still considered pretty un-manly where I live, but who cares.

Yeah, I go through phases. Usually depends on the length of my hair. Right now it's pretty long on the top, so I straighten it, and it also works great with the pomade I use.

I try not to wash my hair too often, and I can easily go 3-4 days without washing it if it's straightened with some water-based pomade in it. If I leave it wavy, it looks pretty bad after 2 days.

It's still considered pretty un-manly where I live, but who cares.

I wish I could go several days without washing, my bed hair is so bad that I simply have to restart, though I don't actually straighten, I curl and reshape instead.

Also pretty un-manly round my parts too, I keep it fairly quiet. You're right though, who cares as long as you look good?

jasonng

Cross post from the Post Picture thread. I just recently got new haircut that I really liked:

RWsJvl.jpg

I haven't been this happy with my hair in a really long time. During the fall season I had to go to multiple weddings and due to unfortunate timing and hurricane Sandy I wasn't able to see my regular barber in months. I dealt with cheap salons nearby which was a serious bad move on my part. Finally went back to my barber last week and he took care of me.

I switched to pomade last year and really like it. I'm actually thinking of switching again to wax for my current hair. I never actually used wax before.

Dumb question but which direction should I be blow-drying in?

I've heard you're supposed to dry in the direction your styling your hair, but usually if I do that after I've started styling my hair it ends up going everywhere and I basically have to start over.

Dariee

Cross post from the Post Picture thread. I just recently got new haircut that I really liked:

RWsJvl.jpg

I haven't been this happy with my hair in a really long time. During the fall season I had to go to multiple weddings and due to unfortunate timing and hurricane Sandy I wasn't able to see my regular barber in months. I dealt with cheap salons nearby which was a serious bad move on my part. Finally went back to my barber last week and he took care of me.

I switched to pomade last year and really like it. I'm actually thinking of switching again to wax for my current hair. I never actually used wax before.

Love it. This is something I want to work towards at some point. Though probably my hair gets too overly curly at that length. Ah well, maybe a 'curled sidecut' could be 'it'. Who knows.

Oh, facial hair related: what type of 'machine' I need to make precise cuts in the 'stache? Razor blades are too damn big and unprecise to make 'shapes' and such, which is what I want to try.

Dumb question but which direction should I be blow-drying in?

I've heard you're supposed to dry in the direction your styling your hair, but usually if I do that after I've started styling my hair it ends up going everywhere and I basically have to start over.

Depends. If you wanna build body you just blow dry however but if you wanna start styling while blow drying you can get a brush or comb and slowly run it through the hair while blow drying in a certain direction.

A lot of stylists use a concentrator attachment to get more precision.

rp0004-prd.ashx

Yeah no worries, I have the attachment already, just relatively clueless on how to use it. I'm going to mess around with it this week and see if I can come up with anything cool. Thanks for the tips.

Oh, facial hair related: what type of 'machine' I need to make precise cuts in the 'stache? Razor blades are too damn big and unprecise to make 'shapes' and such, which is what I want to try.
Sounds like you want a beard trimmer. Amazon should be a good place to start looking. They'll let you trim the length of your beard/mustache and most come with a smaller blade attachment that you can use for precise styling.

kaskade

I use a straightener. Mostly because I have a cowlick in the front of my hair that sometimes can be stubborn. Sometimes it'll work out with just the dryer but sometimes it doesn't want to. I really need to get my own though. The one I'm using right now doesn't have a nozzle and I feel like having one will make a big difference to dry and comb it back.

RWsJvl.jpg

Now show us the side of your head they didn't fuck up.

Rehynn

RWsJvl.jpg

That's a really nice cut, but you might want to consider leaving it a bit longer in the back, so you can style it more instead of just having it stand straight up.

Man, if only that guy saw how much we talk about him on here I'm sure he'd be severely creeped out lol.

For the record Luke, I think you should go for it.

I wish I could go several days without washing, my bed hair is so bad that I simply have to restart, though I don't actually straighten, I curl and reshape instead.

Also pretty un-manly round my parts too, I keep it fairly quiet. You're right though, who cares as long as you look good?
The best way to combat bed hair?

Satin pillow sheets. A game changer.

zethren

Banned
Showering but not using shampoo everyday seems to net me the best results. Never usually have much of a problem with bed head though, as my hair usually does what I tell it to do. Just gotta make sure your hair knows who's in charge.

I've always wanted to do this.
They're not exactly hard to find. And it sure beats throwing money down the drain unnecessarily re-styling every day with hair product multiple times more expensive than a simple pillowcase.

Good not just for maintaining a style for two or more days, but also for your general hair health. Unlike the usual cotton pillowcases, satin/silk doesn't pull on the hair and leave it looking matted.

So many people wondering why they have such dull hair when they wash it every day and rest it for eight hours every day on harsh fabric :p

Jzero

I was thinking about doing something like this, but I'm kinda scared hahaha
My mother thinks i'm gay because my hair is slowly looking more like this. Haha like i give a fuck.

Showering but not using shampoo everyday seems to net me the best results. Never usually have much of a problem with bed head though, as my hair usually does what I tell it to do. Just gotta make sure your hair knows who's in charge.
For some reason my hair looks better after waking up than after showering.

Dariee

Yeah no worries, I have the attachment already, just relatively clueless on how to use it. I'm going to mess around with it this week and see if I can come up with anything cool. Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like you want a beard trimmer. Amazon should be a good place to start looking. They'll let you trim the length of your beard/mustache and most come with a smaller blade attachment that you can use for precise styling.

Those are still 'too big' i.e. they shave away a whole freaking lot instead of enabling me to take away just some smaller parts of the mustache for styling.

Though searching for 'beard trimmers' gave me suggestions for 'precision trimmers' and seems like that might be what I need. Thank you then for directing me!

They're not exactly hard to find. And it sure beats throwing money down the drain unnecessarily re-styling every day with hair product multiple times more expensive than a simple pillowcase.

Good not just for maintaining a style for two or more days, but also for your general hair health. Unlike the usual cotton pillowcases, satin/silk doesn't pull on the hair and leave it looking matted.

So many people wondering why they have such dull hair when they wash it every day and rest it for eight hours every day on harsh fabric :p

The top of my hair is about 1.5 to 2 inches, not sure sleeping on nice material would help as whichever side I rest my head on will just flatten/bend the hair. I have sharp Asian hair :(

I've managed to stop moving around in my sleep now, so my hair's the way I left it when getting in to bed.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first time really checking out this thread. It's really awesome. I'll definitely be saving some of these pics for my next hair cut, hah.

That's a really nice cut, but you might want to consider leaving it a bit longer in the back, so you can style it more instead of just having it stand straight up.
Yeah, or shave it so that it's the same buzzed length as the side.

RTSD

Neo Member
would it look bad to get new Dante's haircut if you are say... dirty blond, and have a dead center bangs clockwise cowlick so powerful it contains its own singularity?

jasonng

Now show us the side of your head they didn't fuck up.

Other side is trimmed as well. Here's the fucked up part: I asked my barber to do it.

It actually is. You can't see it from the picture but the back is cut in a wide V trim. I brush it to the side as well.

Last pic for a while. Ignore the couple flyaways on the side.

Your hair is what I want mine to look like should I decide it keep it as long as yours. I'm much too lazy to blowdry my hair though.

cacophony

how does it smell? I was about to buy some on Amazon.

the grooming cream smells really waxy/musky. not very pleasant, not something id want my hair to smell like. I'd probably get something else. Has anyone here tried Hanz de Funko? hear a lot about it

RWsJvl.jpg

I just recently started doing my hair like this, just its a big shorter and a little more combed backwards. Took awhile to actually grow it out enough to slick back. My lady says she loves it, especially when we have weddings or special occasions to go too. I saw this pic and went for it.

David-Beckham_89.jpg

the grooming cream smells really waxy/musky. not very pleasant, not something id want my hair to smell like. I'd probably get something else. Has anyone here tried Hanz de Funko? hear a lot about it
Tons of people in this thread have tried Hanz and loved it. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything bad posted about those products.

Top Bottom