• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

DatDude

Banned
hey hair gaf. I got a trim, and decided to style it in a slick back kind of a way using gell. I also decided to go the clean shaven route. Which do you think looks better?

Spikey/Stubble
yZHrozz.jpg

Slick back/Clean Shaven

nOoblet16

It's thin as hell so that's why it's lifeless, i'll try without straightening though :/
Try that but you can give character to straight hair too, so I'll suggest you to try and see how it looks when you pull it back or to the side, and use some clay to get some hold and maybe some serum to get a sheen if that's your thing. It'll probably end up looking like how mine does considering that's (the hair in the picture you posted) how it looks when I let it cascade down my forehead....I think it's good.

what are the recommendations for hair products for a slight pomp? I don't want a slick/shiny look, I like it kind of dirty, sloppy. I used o use layrite to keep my hair down but I think it may be too thick.

So what are the best products to use that will help reduce frizz and generally straighten out your hair? Is there a shampoo like product available or am I just looking at light straightener use?

Man, Midnights that first cut is super badass. I think my hair might be long enough now to give it a try, AND it looks like it has highlights. Even better.

bPod

Pretty sure this has been asked several times but I'm facing the inevitable and my hair is beginning to recede; any recommendations to stop it?

Pretty sure this has been asked several times but I'm facing the inevitable and my hair is beginning to recede; any recommendations to stop it?

Propecia, Rogaine, and Nizoral.

Once you get those going you might as well take some MSM, Biotin, etc just to cover bases. Most important is Propecia and Rogaine, the rest is just can't hurt to add stuff.

Man, Midnights that first cut is super badass. I think my hair might be long enough now to give it a try, AND it looks like it has highlights. Even better.

Better find a skilled stylist to get highlights that good.

I got a cut coming tomorrow. Scouring the internet for that perfect pic.

Better find a skilled stylist to get highlights that good.

I got a cut coming tomorrow. Scouring the internet for that perfect pic.
Yeah dude, if it gets botched I might be looking at a buzzcut situation and that cannot happen.

Get some pics up of your cut tomorrow. I'm probably getting mine done on Thursday unless I can squeeze into Daniel Alfonso's schedule while I'm in LA this weekend.

So my hair has gotten to this super awkward length where it's in that awkward mullet-esque thing, and I wanna do something with it but it's the first time I've ever had my hair this long.
Any tips?

Alright I'm gonna take this picture in this time. I'm going for the holy grail cut of this thread.

Do or die time.

Good luck and godspeed.

Have you figured out what you want on the sides/back? I would recommend starting with a 2 and then a 1.5 if you want to go shorter. Try to resist the urge to go "#YOLO give me a 1 on the sides!" like some of us did lol

I think the reference pic might be like a 1.5/2 just because of the lack of scalp that's showing

Kraftwerk

Try these out.

Bumble%20Straight%20Orlando.jpg

I am definitely going to try these out.

I gave LAB SERIES products a try based on your recommendation, and they did wonders for my skin.

Also, apologies if this is a 'personal' question; but how much do you guys pay for a cut?

I have usually paid 20-30. They were always O.K, but nothing amazing. This week finally decided to go to a more high-end hair salon. I paid almost $70 before tip, and it is definitely the best haircut I have had.

I pay 50 before tip.

Good luck and godspeed.

Have you figured out what you want on the sides/back? I would recommend starting with a 2 and then a 1.5 if you want to go shorter. Try to resist the urge to go "#YOLO give me a 1 on the sides!" like some of us did lol

I think the reference pic might be like a 1.5/2 just because of the lack of scalp that's showing

You wanna talk about yolo I once went 0 guard on the sides. Never again.

Good luck and godspeed.

fuck it hair grows back. all in.

posted in the show yourself thread but...

Hair growing in nicely. Lazy pics there. I really like what I can do with it, lots of room for flexibility. I think when I get it cut again next month, I will just do the same. I kinda like having it cut super short on the sides.

I can't get the detail in a cut to show in pictures so here's a shitty pic instead.

I like it man. You have great hair.

madaseyer

Neo Member
If anyone is in the L.A. area, make sure to visit Jake's barbershop, awesome place to get your pomp or any sort of cut you like, they take care of you there.

madaseyer

Neo Member
what are the recommendations for hair products for a slight pomp? I don't want a slick/shiny look, I like it kind of dirty, sloppy. I used o use layrite to keep my hair down but I think it may be too thick.

There's a pomade called Suavecito that's not as intense (thick) as Layrite.

tumblr_m6ru7hDGwF1qctxv6o1_500.jpg

Also, apologies if this is a 'personal' question; but how much do you guys pay for a cut?

I have usually paid 20-30. They were always O.K, but nothing amazing. This week finally decided to go to a more high-end hair salon. I paid almost $70 before tip, and it is definitely the best haircut I have had.
I think mine is usually $25 before tip. I'll tip anywhere from $5-$10 depending on how generous I am that day. I've been going to the same barber for almost a year now so it's generally pretty consistent quality.

I can't get the detail in a cut to show in pictures so here's a shitty pic instead.
Whoa dude that looks perfect. Seriously great cut. You got the top trimmed down I assume? Good call cause it looks great.

fuck it hair grows back. all in.

posted in the show yourself thread but...

Hair growing in nicely. Lazy pics there. I really like what I can do with it, lots of room for flexibility. I think when I get it cut again next month, I will just do the same. I kinda like having it cut super short on the sides.
Looks great, man. Your cut is indeed growing in nicely. I think I actually like it better with the extra length on the sides.

Midnights that looks solid, dude. Your barber did a really good job of emulating that picture. Just add the highlights and you're golden.

That cut sure is popular amongst fashionable/wanttobefashionable men/boys nowadays.
Not sure if you're hating or just making an observation. It's a great style.

Servbot24

Banned
Think I'm gonna buzz my head soon. I'm thinning out and my frizzy hair makes it really ugly. I'd feel a lot more confident in a buzz if I could grow a beard. Basically I'm in a no-win situation, :lol

Not hating at all, just stating an observation.

I like the haircut and would want something similar for myself, but I wouldn't get it right now since I've seen so many people with it.

When I first started getting it the people cutting my hair didn't even know what the hell I was talking about it. Now look at the world.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Anyone see Justin Timberlake's hair on SNL? It's close to mine, I just need to figure out how much/what gel/product he's using to get it to lay down like that.

I think his is a bit longer on top than mine, but his part is just like mine. I think he just uses a crap ton of gel and sweeps it back.

Not hating at all, just stating an observation.

I like the haircut and would want something similar for myself, but I wouldn't get it right now since I've seen so many people with it.
Gotcha.

Anyone see Justin Timberlake's hair on SNL? It's close to mine, I just need to figure out how much/what gel/product he's using to get it to lay down like that.

I think his is a bit longer on top than mine, but his part is just like mine. I think he just uses a crap ton of gel and sweeps it back.
Not a crap ton, it's actually a really easy look to emulate, I do it quite a bit. Do some blowdrying beforehand and add some pomade and you're set.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Layrite is stronger when applied to dry hair. I have noticed that blowdrying it doesnt work very well. Suavecito is a differnt story though. Works wonderfully blowdried.

friday

So I need to hit the barbershop real bad. My hair is really thick and wavy and also really dry and frizzy right after I wash it. I actually find my hair is easier to deal with once I have not washed it in 2 or 3 days and it becomes slightly oily. What should I do about my dry hair?

Haircut wise I think I am going to stick with the standard long on top, short on the sides and back style. Parted and combed back really suits the wavyness of my hair. The hair on the top of my head is a good 3 inches so I have a bit of length to play with. I think I might go for a number 3 razor on the sides. I have never gone that short and would like to try it out.

Here is the current situation. What you can't see is the horrible backside. It is in the early stages of mullet/bro curls.

photo-2.jpg

photo2.jpg

Only product I have right now is AC fiber that is more leave in conditioner than fiber.

So I need to hit the barbershop real bad. My hair is really thick and wavy and also really dry and frizzy right after I wash it. I actually find my hair is easier to deal with once I have not washed it in 2 or 3 days and it becomes slightly oily. What should I do about my dry hair?

Haircut wise I think I am going to stick with the standard long on top, short on the sides and back style. Parted and combed back really suits the wavyness of my hair. The hair on the top of my head is a good 3 inches so I have a bit of length to play with. I think I might go for a number 3 razor on the sides. I have never gone that short and would like to try it out.

Here is the current situation. What you can't see is the horrible backside. It is in the early stages of mullet/bro curls.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/grayfox34/photo-2.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/grayfox34/photo2.jpg

Only product I have right now is AC fiber that is more leave in conditioner than fiber.
Great hair, that hair style definitely suits you. I think keeping it mostly the same and just cleaning it up is a good plan. Try a 3 on the sides and see what you think.

As for dry/frizziness, Midnights posted some good shampoos above that you might try. Also, don't shampoo as much. I realize that sounds weird, but too much shampooing is actually going to kill off your hair. You want some of those natural oils in your hair because that's what partly makes it soft and easy to manipulate. Just shampoo once every few days to start, the other days just give it a good rinse with water. I used to shampoo every day, now I only do it about twice a week and my hair has never looked better.

Top Bottom