• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Jeels

So where are the haircuts you can actually wear to work?

Edit: Like that Timberlake photo. Clean and conservative. There's too much wildness going on in here.

tumblr_inline_mfhoyyaa8b1rn081n.jpg

Could someone recommend some good hair paste? I've been using Axe Whatever for the time being but the paste is really weird and gets clumpy and gross.

Edit: Like that Timberlake photo. Clean and conservative. There's too much wildness going on in here.
Just look for men's classic hair styles or something. Probably parted on the side. They have definitely been posted in here if you go a few pages back.

Could someone recommend some good hair paste? I've been using Axe Whatever for the time being but the paste is really weird and gets clumpy and gross.
Check the OP, lots of good products with descriptions in there. I'm partial to Baxter products personally.

I am definitely going to try these out.
Also, apologies if this is a 'personal' question; but how much do you guys pay for a cut?

I have usually paid 20-30. They were always O.K, but nothing amazing. This week finally decided to go to a more high-end hair salon. I paid almost $70 before tip, and it is definitely the best haircut I have had.

I used to pay $40 but that included a paraffin hand treatment and massage (it was included, not something I would have neccessarily opted for myself but it felt GOOD) but then I had to switch salons because my stylist moved. I started going to a friend from high school and she gives me a discount and usually only charges $15, so I usually tip her $15 or $20.

nOoblet16

What do I need to do to get this?
I feel like my hair's alright for this style as far as volume and length goes, but yes like the guy above me said....I'd like to know too what they use to get that hair to stand up without the greasiness of pomade and the shine and stiffness of gel? Cause it looks very natural and smooth.

The biggest issue I have is that my hair goes all over the place, since I don't use a spray to keep hold of it. But I feel even a spray won't be enough to hold it in place properly as the length will pull it out. The moment I turn my head or look down my hair starts slipping out of it's place and it ends up hanging sideways like a fringe....and God I look like a girl when that happens (this one time I was using my phone in a restaurant and the waitress was talking to my friends and referred to me as a "she")

Mulligan

Banned
Matte clay. The first one is most likely a small amount of pomade.

If you want to mat the sides down, mist them with a little water, then spray some hair spray and dry in a downward direction. Like so

Okay thanks. My hair is super thick meaning it's really hard to keep it erect, luckily i don't have the same problem elsewhere.

I need a new barber. every time I go it feels like I'm playing Russian roulette. never listens to a word I say. Luckily at times he gets lucky. He of course didn't listen to what I asked for but I still actually like the way it turned out. The top is a bit of a mess that I think he left crooked and there are areas where he flat out screwed up and shaved to the skin in blotches. Whatever I still like the look but I'm definitely looking for a new place.

Crop it. Blade 3 your facial hair.

Sorted.

You don't need a new barber, you need a better way of expressing how you'd truly like to look.

If it helps, use a celebrity as a comparison.

Crop it. Blade 3 your facial hair.

Sorted.

You don't need a new barber, you need a better way of expressing how you'd truly like to look.

If it helps, use a celebrity as a comparison.

Elaborate on the "crop it" part? Is that like buzzing? I did take a picture to the guy. One that was posted here actually. He's just an old guy that doesn't listen very well. He's given me some good haircuts which is why I go back but last time I asked for a Fauxhawk and he heard "4" and buzzed my hair off.

The style this time wasn't bad but he left bald spots all over my head from a trimmer. I think the dude has just had it. But, yeah I definitely need to get better at having a standard look and finding a better way of explaining exactly what I want.

this is what I took. I know my hair up top isn't as long yet but I told him to just leave the top alone so I can get that look eventually.

Hullo hair-GAF. I have hair questions.

I have very fine/loose hair that I've never really known what to do with. It's heavy enough that it naturally falls into kind of a moppy bowl-cut or whatnot, but that isn't a style I'm comfortable wearing since I've always had a pretty steep widow's peak. I have a big beard, so I got sick of trying for a while and just shaved it all off. It's a style I got used to and enjoyed.

I'll post pictures in a bit (I'm at work) but I'm considering growing my hair back out again - thing is, I have no idea if it's worth it. I think my hairline might be receding a bit (not a big deal), but I also can't quite tell if my hair has thinned out a bit since I started shaving it, or if it's simply because it's in an awkward early stage of regrowth (about 1/3rd to 1/2 an in all around) that it's sort of see through in the light.

My questions:

-With a fairly distinctive widow's peak, what styles should I be eyeing?
-What products and techniques should I be using to treat this hair growing back in? Anything to stiffen/hold would be a godsend.
-(probably easier answered once I have pics) is it even worth growing it out, or should I just stick with bald?

lunchtoast

I need a new barber. every time I go it feels like I'm playing Russian roulette. never listens to a word I say. Luckily at times he gets lucky. He of course didn't listen to what I asked for but I still actually like the way it turned out. The top is a bit of a mess that I think he left crooked and there are areas where he flat out screwed up and shaved to the skin in blotches. Whatever I still like the look but I'm definitely looking for a new place.

That's an awesome beard.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I need to put together a product guide for the OP to show how different products work on different types of hair.

To those asking questions, hold on, i'm working on it.

TTOOLL

happy I found this thread. I ALWAYS had my hair cut short, and I always wanted to let it grow a bit, like 10cm at most. However, until it gets there I don't how it will look. I'm no expert so I don't even know if my type of hair is ok for this.

If I post a photo do you think you could give any ideas?

DrSlek

I've been in the process of growing my hair out since last August, with the ultimate goal of going for a Jeff Bridges-style:

5406jeffbridgesprofile.jpg

I've grown my hair out long before (granted not quite that long) so I'm familiar with the obnoxious process of keeping it maintained. I found out the hard way the first time around that simply growing long hair and having it look great doesn't sort of happen on it's own. I really like having longer hair, the shitty part is just, well...waiting for my hair to grow. It's been over six months and I'd say I'm maybe over a 3rd of the way there (which is why I'm not going to bother posting a pic just yet). At this rate it won't be until Summer when I start to actually get close.

I've just begun growing my hair out too. Aiming for something similar, but maybe longer. Something akin to Neil Oliver.

Never grown my hair longer than 3 inches though. It's thick and wirey.
This is going to be an adventure!

Alright I'm gonna take this picture in this time. I'm going for the holy grail cut of this thread.

Do or die time.

Dont suppose there is a shot of this one from behind?

Anyways I went out on saturday into town, usually if I go out I go up London so I hadnt been there for maybe 4 years.
So we get inside and I swear to god, 95% of the guys who wernt 1 all over , had varying versions of short on the side and long on top.Grade 1-3 and then varying length.

For the longest time id been thinking I was going to the barbers in town getting something fairly difffrent and I would need a photo to explain and theres really half the 18-28 male population walking around with the same cut. Ugh.

Imo if you had cut it to a mid length and kept the facial hair it would be the best of both.
Oddly I think you look pretty good with long hair and that shit is rare for people to be able to pull off.

I sure as hell know I didnt but here I am with shoulder length hair in my passport till im 29 haha :(

It seems like so many women hate longer hair, but I have great hair and I'm growing mine out anyway. Not down to my shoulders, but I don't think I'll be cutting my hair as short as I've been for some time.

stn

I'm new be nice - Looks much better. I would grow a light beard if I were you, would complement you well.

LeBoef

ok. bought this stuff
89342572-260x260-0-0_Kevin+Murphy+Kevin+Murphy+Hair+Resort+150+ml.jpg

you should mention that using this means you ll stink like a coconut. bought this stuff and was really eager testing it. didnt even care about the price.
startet putting it in my hair and thought "what that smell"... suddenly my wife screamed through the flat "dont tell me this coconut smell comes from you"

man i was still in the bathroom and she smelled it. hours later a friend of mine laughed at me in the elevator "ok. that coconut stink comes from you"... thought it will pass :/

i hate coconut hair products. i always have and for sure, always will. so you should mention that in the op as a warning for others ;)

i let my bro cut my hair. i wasn't aiming for any look. until it grows out a little more before i do it myself.

486618_10102094440276925_1269553034_n.jpg

felt like 2 lbs when i picked up the clump lol.

I think I have the crappiest hair. I hate it. Can never find a style nor will it ever do what I want. I'm kind of raging as I've just had my haircut, asked her what I wanted and said to not touch the fringe, as I want to grow that... so what happens, she pretty much chops the whole fucking thing off. Great! Just have to wait several months for it to grow back to where it just was :\

Don't know why I fucking bother. Really wish I could get my hair looking half decent (I don't feel I'm asking much, but with my hair, I guess I am). It's the whole battle in making me feel good about myself and giving me an ounce of confidence.

Still not sure how our friend in that video gets his hair to sit like it does. My hair is almost exactly the same length as his now and it doesn't sit like that.

I think I have the crappiest hair. I hate it. Can never find a style nor will it ever do what I want. I'm kind of raging as I've just had my haircut, asked her what I wanted and said to not touch the fringe, as I want to grow that... so what happens, she pretty much chops the whole fucking thing off. Great! Just have to wait several months for it to grow back to where it just was :\

Don't know why I fucking bother. Really wish I could get my hair looking half decent (I don't feel I'm asking much, but with my hair, I guess I am). It's the whole battle in making me feel good about myself and giving me an ounce of confidence.
That sucks about the haircut, but like you said, it grows back. As annoying as waiting for it to grow back is, at least you have hair. There are guys in this thread with receding hair lines that literally don't have any options at all.

Your hair probably isn't the problem, you probably just haven't found a style that fits you and a person that can cut it that way. Do some research while your hair grows. Find pictures of styles you like and the top rated barbers/stylists in your area. Take the picture to them ahead of time and ask if they can mimic the style.

Top Bottom