• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

rampur

Im going to show this picture to my hair stylist:

3NGl5YF.jpg

g4PVKh2.jpg

9R5ccj2.jpg

what do you guys think?

Tom_Cody

3NGl5YF.jpg

g4PVKh2.jpg

9R5ccj2.jpg

what do you guys think?
My hair is cut basically exactly like that.

The one thing I would say that you should be aware of what hair products you are going to use if you haven't had a disconnected cut like that before. If you notice in the pictures, his hair is swept over to one side and then subtlety swept back on the other side. By default my hair just sort of just flops over on the other side and it took a bit of experimenting before I was able to get it to lay correctly on that opposite side.

Any shampoo recommendations? Started using American crew moisturising shampoo love the smell but apparently there are some questionable chemicals in it. Any healthy choices with a nice smell?

barrbarr

I don't know what to do with my hair. Its kind of curly so I can't grow it out, I'm using wax at the moment, but I don't really know what to do with it.

4ffxlcc.jpg

48O4pDC.jpg

Miles X

What does moose do vs wax, pomade, gel ect? My hair is so coarse, really doesn't like being long, it's not slick and wavy like what I'm aiming for :(

Appointment booked in next week and I'm really tempted to ask them to just grade 2 all over!

LuffyZoro

My hair is really thin, and when I grow it out it naturally falls like this, even with product in it, and I'm not a fan. What can I do?

hitler-youth-hair.jpg

(picture not me)

daemonic

Banned

3NGl5YF.jpg

g4PVKh2.jpg

9R5ccj2.jpg

what do you guys think?

Mine is fairly similar to that as well. I even have a similar head shape/hair line.. wish I had this pic to show my hairdresser as it took many attempts to get what I wanted.

Thinking of doing something different though. Every guy in my city has this look now.. its starting to lose its appeal. Definitely go for it though if you think it would suit you!

SteveWD40

Yikes, looked better before he started, takes it too short and too high at the back.

Also, as someone who spent a few months cutting their own hair, it can be much harder than it looks, the guys on YT who do it tend to have been at it for years but it takes a LOT of getting used to.

Now I just get it done at a barbers, only way I would do my own is if I was buzzing it all over. Plus the little details like having the back of your neck razored are nice.

BadTaste

My hair is really thin, and when I grow it out it naturally falls like this, even with product in it, and I'm not a fan. What can I do?

hitler-youth-hair.jpg

(picture not me)

Hair thickening shampoo/conditioner.

Hairspray would work too, I can't really recommend any because the ones I've used have been so-so. I've tried got2b, Samy Fat Hair and John Frieda Frizz-ease. All "meh".

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Getting a haircut tomorrow. My mop is due for a clean up. Beard too, propbably, both are really long right now. Only bad part is that I'm in a new town so I don't have my normal hairdresser. But I usually just go for simple cuts anyhow, I think, so we'll see.

Raynes

Can anyone tell me why there is a fad here of cutting the sides really short and leaving the top really long and and styled up? It's so generic, grotesque and meat-headed lol.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Can anyone tell me why there is a fad here of cutting the sides really short and leaving the top really long and and styled up? It's so generic, grotesque and meat-headed lol.

Go back a few pages. There are plenty of people that like longer hair.

I feel like we have addressed this like 20 times. I think I am in a time loop.

Raynes

Go back a few pages. There are plenty of people that like longer hair.

I feel like we have addressed this like 20 times. I think I am in a time loop.

That's not the only short hair style. It seems every short hair style here involves the sides being really short and the top being really long.

The simple answer is that it's versatile. Keeping some length on top allows for a number of different hair styles. If you cut it short you're pretty much committed to that specific style.

maxxpower

The simple answer is that it's versatile. Keeping some length on top allows for a number of different hair styles. If you cut it short you're pretty much committed to that specific style.

Yeah, and it's also a really "clean" haircut. You can style it for formal and causal situations.

JEKKI

how would u guys call these hair styles?

ERRitlb.jpg

SREUjEb.jpg

my hair is real poofy... usually jus buzz cut it but it's been growing out since the weather began to drop.

now I jus buzz cut the sides, either leave the top or trim it a bit, then comb it over with some product or whatever.

after a week it grows back and doesnt look so good, but at least for once I wanna try getting a haircut professionally versus going to the $5 vietnamese barbers.

Jzero

I finally learned to fade my hair a bit better. It's a shame it took me so long to do it right. Now i just have to regrow my fringe and i'm good to go.

Replicant

I fucking hate how some hair styler just don't listen to what the customers said. I clearly said "Don't cut much please" and yet he cut a lot. He probably think I'd look better with short hair. But God dang it, I don't. You'd think that I know what looks good on me than he does. Arrrrgh!! Now I have to suffer with stupid haircut for 1-1.5 week if I'm lucky or longer if I'm not so lucky depending on my hair growth.

Also, does anyone know what happened to this product: Fudge Hair Varnish? All of a sudden it's really hard to find this product in Australia. Have they discontinued it or something?

SteveWD40

My hair is too thick to have longer sides

Same here, I look like I have an afro if I leave it longer than 3 weeks.

Yup, I used to get it short on top as well, and essentially your stuck with a sort of faux hawk / parting, also makes your head look round. longer on top adds length to your head.

Rehynn

Any of you guys know a place in New York City that sells Suavecito? A buddy of mine will be in the country for a week and I'd like to ask him to pick up a couple tins for me, but my Google-fu is failing me.

Pocks

Help me GAF.. I was going for 6" to 8" length on top. I'm closing in on 5" now, but I'm losing faith.

What are some nice styles for 5" on top, #2 to #3 on the sides.. or are there any modifications I can do without taking too much off of the top? Keeping in mind my hair is a bit wavy at these lengths, and those waves along with the coarse/wiry texture are making it a pain in the ass to control.

If I don't find something I like by Thursday, I think I'm going to back down to 2-3" on top.

To be honest super long on top looks good in pictures but it just doesn't work very well in day to day life. Wind screws you, doing anything active screws you, getting everything to stay in the right place and look right is difficult.

To be honest super long on top looks good in pictures but it just doesn't work very well in day to day life. Wind screws you, doing anything active screws you, getting everything to stay in the right place and look right is difficult.

Yup. It is super high maintenance and it really can fuck with you =/

Rehynn

Help me GAF.. I was going for 6" to 8" length on top. I'm closing in on 5" now, but I'm losing faith.

What are some nice styles for 5" on top, #2 to #3 on the sides.. or are there any modifications I can do without taking too much off of the top? Keeping in mind my hair is a bit wavy at these lengths, and those waves along with the coarse/wiry texture are making it a pain in the ass to control.

If I don't find something I like by Thursday, I think I'm going to back down to 2-3" on top.

What style are you going for with the 6-8" top exactly?

As always, a good blowdryer and pomade can really help tame those waves. You can probably also improve the texture of your hair with a good shampoo + conditioner combo (plus not fucking the whole thing up with a blowdryer that fries your hair). If you can get it to look healthier, you've won half the battle.

Rehynn

Yup. It is super high maintenance and it really can fuck with you =/

Eh, that depends on a multitude of factors, including the products you use. Hairspray can work wonders.

My hair used to be 2-2.5" on top, and would just get destroyed by humidity or sweat (like when I played a gig). Now it's longer, and usually I just have to run my fingers through it backwards to get it to look decent again.

EDIT: I don't see anything wrong there ^ :)

Pocks

That's been my experience.. I have to tend to it constantly and use a ton of product. The wind has not been kind to me either.

I plan on riding my bike quite a bit for the next 6 months as well, so I'm gathering that continuing to grow it out is not going to be compatible with my lifestyle.

Maybe I'll start going it again in November and have it long for the winter. It was a good run though, I've never had my hair anything close to this long.. got a ton of compliments as well.

What style are you going for with the 6-8" top exactly?

As always, a good blowdryer and pomade can really help tame those waves. You can probably also improve the texture of your hair with a good shampoo + conditioner combo (plus not fucking the whole thing up with a blowdryer that fries your hair). If you can get it to look healthier, you've won half the battle.
I'm not sure, haha. I just kinda decided that I was going to go long with after seeing a few variations of styles in this thread.
KuGsj.gif

I've used blow dryer + pomade combo a few times, and it does help tame the waves... it's just becoming a pain in the ass lately.

EDIT: Here are a couple styles that I like that feature 6" to 7" long, somewhat wavy hair:

Pyrokai

This looks so great. Just so you know, Midnights, the care you place on your hair and skin and shaving and stuff has been somewhat inspirational (for lack of a better word) to me.

I think I know what I want out of my hair now, but when it comes to skin care and shaving care and how to perfectly mesh the two together...well...that's more difficult and is a different story :)

But curious....in this picture, what product did you use?

Edit: I'm getting my haircut this Thursday. I think I'll post my hair as it is right now sometime tonight and then try to get feed back. I'm thinking of getting it cut the same way as MidNights or show the picture of rampur's.

Mercurial

I've found it to be quite easy. I just rub in a small glob of Layrite Strong Hold after a shower and push my hair back with my fingers. Don't use a comb. It lasts all day and even gets better looking as the day goes on. I have a second jar of regular hold Layrite and touch it up in the morning on the second day and my hair looks amazing. Even better on the 3rd day. That's when I get the most compliments. But it starts to smell at that point, haha.

Also, this is a piece of art a friend of mine did some of you might appreciate:
XhXZDuD.jpg

Her portfolio
http://thecreativefinder.com/portfolio-broad.php?username=natjanin

LuffyZoro

How is that thing of comparing different product types coming? Also, is there some kind of image that shows how long a 2, 3, etc will make hair?

Rookje

I've found it to be quite easy. I just rub in a small glob of Layrite Strong Hold after a shower and push my hair back with my fingers. Don't use a comb. It lasts all day and even gets better looking as the day goes on. I have a second jar of regular hold Layrite and touch it up in the morning on the second day and my hair looks amazing. Even better on the 3rd day. That's when I get the most compliments. But it starts to smell at that point, haha.
Wait, you don't wash your hair with product in it?

Every time I try to grow my hair out I get to this stage where it looks so bad and is so annoying that I end up buzzing it all off. I've been through this cycle too many times to count

Top Bottom