• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Rehynn

Pretty interesting reading on the side-parted look a few of us are now rocking and how to get it cut and products to use.

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2013/mens-hair-trends-for-ss13/

Man, I'm generally a fan of the old-school slick look, but some of these are way too übermensch-y. The last one in particular looks like a villain out of a WW2 movie.

The bottom left one is pretty great though.

hairss13lb2.jpg

I need to do more with my hair, have such thick curly hair that I imagine makes the possibilities pretty wide. Forget his name but a user here had said he was going to make a guide for people with curly hair. Did that ever happen?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Pretty much nothing. If I do use something it's one of the B&B sprays followed by some mousse. Pomade is too heavy, wax is sticky and heavy, clay is a bit much so I can't use any of those. I like volume and a free feel.
Your hair must have a naturally nice texture.

If I go without anything, it lies completely flat, and looks so dry that you could probably spot each individual hair. It looks like a wig

What the fuck, how old is Chris Pine? He's getting grey hair already?

I went into town to get my hair cut and I fucking hate it http://i.imgur.com/LDGQm5Z.jpg

My sister was cutting it and I said to only trim it but she got carried away. I think she prefers me with shorter hair. Bye long hair ..
Got any before pics for comparison? Is it cut in the style you wanted at least?

The girl I've been going to left the salon. I don't know what to do now ;__;
The guys at ACME on the hill are good. That's where I go. Granted, it's a barbershop and not a salon. Rudy's is popular as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The guys at ACME on the hill are good. That's where I go. Granted, it's a barbershop and not a salon. Rudy's is popular as well.

I've thought about trying Rudy's. Just sucks having to once again go through the routine of finding someone to do it the right way, and the first couple of cuts are always bad.

Tenks

I've always had hair cuts that required gel (when younger) and fiber. I've since just buzzed my head and it is the greatest joy in my life to not have to fuss with that shit any longer.

Probably doesn't help my hair is completely frizzy and curley if it gets over like 1 inch.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This Rudy's place doesn't have appointments open until May, and according to yelp I'm going to be waiting at least an hour even if I'm in the book for a cut. What the hell?

This Rudy's place doesn't have appointments open until May, and according to yelp I'm going to be waiting at least an hour even if I'm in the book for a cut. What the hell?
Wait, what? That doesn't seem right at all. My brother used to go there and he'd call like a few days in advance and get in no problem.

hey guys, i want to get a cut something like this:

but maybe like 75% as long in the top. what do i tell them? do i go to a salon or to a barber? do i need to bring additional photos for the sides and back? i havent gotten a good haircut in like 2 years and everywhere ive gone the last year or so had those look books from the freakin early 90s.

also, recommendations for a salon/barber in NYC would be great. preferably around $50-60 but if its really that amazing i dont mind paying more.

Rookje

hey guys, i want to get a cut something like this:

but maybe like 75% as long in the top. what do i tell them? do i go to a salon or to a barber? do i need to bring additional photos for the sides and back? i havent gotten a good haircut in like 2 years and everywhere ive gone the last year or so had those look books from the freakin early 90s.

also, recommendations for a salon/barber in NYC would be great. preferably around $50-60 but if its really that amazing i dont mind paying more.

Just give them that picture.

See Yelp for some suggestions: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Best+Men'S+Haircut&find_loc=New+York,+NY

Look around to see if they have a website with examples of mens haircuts, or instagram. Make sure they use hand over comb and not a shaver to trim your hair. You know they're pro if they cut with sizzors all over, and never use a shaver.

Just give them that picture.

See Yelp for some suggestions: http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=Best+Men'S+Haircut&find_loc=New+York,+NY

Look around to see if they have a website with examples of mens haircuts, or instagram. Make sure they use hand over comb and not a shaver to trim your hair. You know they're pro if they cut with sizzors all over, and never use a shaver.

so for a cut like that a barbershop would be better than a salon? i havent gone to a barbershop since i was in junior high and my experience with them was that they would just use a shaver for everything.

thanks for the tips, ill go through yelp as well!

bjb

Banned
go to a salon tbh. the chances of getting a good cut are much higher unless you know of a really nice barber

It really boils down to actual talent. My advice; if you have a friend/classmate/ coworker who has a really nice cut, don't be afraid to ask them where they go. Networking has been pretty helpful for me in the past. I found this boss barber who primarily worked in a kid's salon in the mall (lol) after his uncle's shop closed.

Guy was amazing and I would have never known otherwise.

Rookje

So I have an undercut atm, but I'm kinda bored with it. I like having longer hair but I'd like to do something other than an undercut. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking of doing some kind of layering in the front, while keeping the sides short. Then if I want the undercut again during the winter I could revert pretty easily.

Top Bottom