• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

I wish I had this hairline.

Steven+Gerrard+of+England+in+action+during+the+International+Friendly+match+between+England+and+the+Netherlands

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Same here, I look like I have an afro if I leave it longer than 3 weeks.

Its really a shame, because I have wanted to go for a Don Draper style for a while. I tried it once, and it just doesnt work, my face ends up looking morbidly obese. Having the sides super short really helped.

Although, for people that dont have this hair growth defect, I think you should try different things.

Horse Detective is on the case!
I wish I was in a place where I could try a bunch of different products.

Its hard, because lately I have just been using melted Murrays pomade for everything. I am in one of those "if it aint broke dont fix it" situations.

Kozak

Banned
Are you happy with it so far? What did your hair look like before?

Anyone here with curly/wavy hair? Seems most people here have straight hair.

Pretty happy with it actually. I just need to work up the courage to get the sides and back shaved again which is taking a while!

I actually have wavy hair but use a straightener whenever going out to whatever I consider special events (parties, clubbing, interviews, dinners) but otherwise I just rock my hair in its natural form.

My hair before:

302849_10151185974193823_1848052374_n.jpg

The problem with that style was that it had a peak for about a week and after that it all went to hell. Sad cause I really like the style when its at its best!

Every time I try to grow my hair out I get to this stage where it looks so bad and is so annoying that I end up buzzing it all off. I've been through this cycle too many times to count

Tell me about it, when my hair gets long, i get annoyed at the wind because it blows in just the perfect way to mess up my do, add to that the fact that i like having a "unique do", and i am currently rocking a cross between a mullet and a fade, looks cool though *subjective*, maybe i'll get around to taking pics and asking for GAF's take on it.

Rehynn

Anyone here with curly/wavy hair? Seems most people here have straight hair.

*raises hand

And the worst part is, it's unevenly wavy. It's almost straight on the sides, but pretty wavy at the front. What I hate the most is the random super-wavy/curly hairs that stick out no matter what. I will get frustrated and pluck them, and their shape will be like "the fuck were you thinking, hair?"

So yeah, I'm super jealous of all you guys with straight hair.

tehrafe

Hair thickening shampoo/conditioner.

Hairspray would work too, I can't really recommend any because the ones I've used have been so-so. I've tried got2b, Samy Fat Hair and John Frieda Frizz-ease. All "meh".

Going to give these a try, just ordered them on Amazon. I'll come back to post results in a couple of weeks. (I've got very thin hair and I'm also slightly balding at the front.)

BadTaste

Going to give these a try, just ordered them on Amazon. I'll come back to post results in a couple of weeks. (I've got very thin hair and I'm also slightly balding at the front.)

You can immediately feel the thickness in your hair as soon as you apply the shampoo, it's great. The conditioner leaves a lot to be desired though. I've noticed most conditioners make my hair feeling limp and thin, if you're going to apply the conditioner then I'd recommend only adding it to the ends of your hair.

You can immediately feel the thickness in your hair as soon as you apply the shampoo, it's great. The conditioner leaves a lot to be desired though. I've noticed most conditioners make my hair feeling limp and thin, if you're going to apply the conditioner then I'd recommend only adding it to the ends of your hair.

isn't that what most conditioners anyways

The Chef

Sea Salt Spray and a hair dryer has been my friend...

Whats that?
edit: "tousled waves and a lite matte finish to any hair type. Infused with natural dead sea salt & sea kelp this salon formula has you and your hair on the boardwalk all year long. "

I absolutely love my hair texture after the beach. Is that what this magical product simulates?

Also any recommendations on volumizing shampoo? haha omg re-reading this post I sound like a woman.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
And the worst part is, it's unevenly wavy. It's almost straight on the sides, but pretty wavy at the front. What I hate the most is the random super-wavy/curly hairs that stick out no matter what. I will get frustrated and pluck them, and their shape will be like "the fuck were yout thinking, hair?"

So yeah, I'm super jealous of all you guys with straight hair.

Same: along with being ridiculously thick and wiry, mine is wavy on the right side of my head but not the left. And, omg yes, the bolded. Even a flat iron doesn't tame it!

I used to get really envious of the guys in these photos and cut videos, but I mean, they've got model perfect looks anyway, and their hair just puts it over the top. -__-

Pocks

So I ended up keeping my length on top, but I got it thinned out. I quite like the way it turned out.. I'll be posting a picture soon.

SteveWD40

Man, how the eff do you even style hair like this?

You don't, at least not for more than 5 minutes.

I see guys at times with hair like this, a stiff breeze and they are checking it out in every shop window reflection to push it back into place.

You could hairspray the living shit out of it, but then it will feel like a helmet.

spicy cho

Anyone want to recommend a good pomade? I have suavecito and i really like the hold and shine it gives my hair but my gf doesn't like its scent. Looking for something similar with a weaker scent.

I don't mind shaving my head bald. I'm sure in about 10 years I will have noticeable balding by looking at all of my relatives. The only thing that sucks about it is that I have really long eye lashes and I think it will look weird to be bald with my lashes. I'm assuming I'll look fine for the most part since I'm black. I've never seen a bald black guy look weird. Any examples of bald guys with big eye lashes?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Anyone want to recommend a good pomade? I have suavecito and i really like the hold and shine it gives my hair but my gf doesn't like its scent. Looking for something similar with a weaker scent.
Layrite smells really, really good. But, I personally think the standard hold is nothing great.

Murrays has the best hold, and if you use it sparingly, it wont make your hair gunky. I reccomend melting a small amount with a hair dryer. Baxter of California is also popular

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Whats that?
edit: "tousled waves and a lite matte finish to any hair type. Infused with natural dead sea salt & sea kelp this salon formula has you and your hair on the boardwalk all year long. "

I absolutely love my hair texture after the beach. Is that what this magical product simulates?

Also any recommendations on volumizing shampoo? haha omg re-reading this post I sound like a woman.

Yep, pretty much! As my hair is quite thick, wirey and heavy, it helps it have a bit of er, vertical structure (which I fix in place with some light hairspray-age).

The Chef

Yep, pretty much! As my hair is quite thick, wirey and heavy, it helps it have a bit of er, vertical structure (which I fix in place with some light hairspray-age).

Thats great. I went ahead and ordered some.

OK thinning hair gaf. I was taking Propecia for several years in my early 20's. Started reading all kinds of terrifying crap about how my wiener was going to stop working, so I stopped taking it. I havent taken it in probably close to 2 years now.

Yesterday, however, my dad was telling me he was reading this article (I think in Esquire, not sure) about how with Propecia the side effects are quite rare and if it is going to effect you, you'll know almost right away. Case in point a guy I knew was taking it and within a week said he was having...problems. So he stopped taking it.

My point is I never felt any sort of side effect what so ever for the years I was taking it. And from what I understand its not something that will sprout up way down the road. So, Ive decided to start taking it again starting today, because A. It works freakin great and B. In the two years of not taking it my hair has become noticeably thinner.

If my wiener stops working I'll let everyone know.

lunchtoast

Pretty happy with it actually. I just need to work up the courage to get the sides and back shaved again which is taking a while!

I actually have wavy hair but use a straightener whenever going out to whatever I consider special events (parties, clubbing, interviews, dinners) but otherwise I just rock my hair in its natural form.

My hair before:

I like how it looks before, just looks like a slightly longer version than what you have now.

I think I'm going to bring this pic in when I go.

iqAkQixp5Q3AW.jpg

My hair already does that naturally, I just need the sides shortened and have the side burns longer.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I have a task for you guys.

There is this company called "Imperial" that makes different pomades. I have heard some good things about them, but I am wondering if anyone here is willing to order some to try and give some thread feedback?

j70dgKq1gt06q.png

kaskade

I might try out some of the stuff. I'm almost out of my Hanz De Fuko. The Fiber Pomade looks kind of like what I'd need. 6 oz. is a nice amount too.

kaskade

I would do it but I don't use pomade.

I'm getting a cut this week. Gonna change it up, length is too much.

I was thinking the same thing. I like the hair, it's just a lot of work to keep up with. I spend a solid 10-15 mins on it. I have to wet it. Let it dry a bit, straighten out some parts(have a cowlick in my bangs). Then the longer hair needs more product. First world problems I guess. I think I want to keep kind of what I have, just go shorter. Not too sure though.

I have a task for you guys.

There is this company called "Imperial" that makes different pomades. I have heard some good things about them, but I am wondering if anyone here is willing to order some to try and give some thread feedback?

j70dgKq1gt06q.png
I'm almost out of my Baxter pomade so I might be willing to give this a try. I'll check my barbershop and see if they stock any of this stuff. That or I can just ask my barber his opinion of it.

Mercurial

Wait, you don't wash your hair with product in it?
I go three days sometimes without washing my hair. Usually just two. With the right amount of layrite you can hardly tell that there is product in my hair. Until the third day, after two days of touch ups. It's great stuff.

Top Bottom