• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

This is what I've been rocking the past 2 weeks. Not sure how i feel about it though. I guess it's a nice change from the fuax hawk I've had for the past few years, but it seems more styled than what I'm used to. I'm growing the top out so I can eventually have something else, but i guess it works for now.

Honest opinions?
Love the cut and I disagree with the guys who say the haircut and tunnels don't work. I think they can absolutely work together. It doesn't mesh with what you're wearing in the photos, but put on the right clothes and I think they'd look really cool together.

Besides, that sort of rugged-chic thing is in right now, just look at some of the photos Rookje posted above. While they may not have gauges, the tattoos add what I would consider a similar effect. So yeah, I definitely think it can be done.

Rookje

This is what I've been rocking the past 2 weeks. Not sure how i feel about it though. I guess it's a nice change from the fuax hawk I've had for the past few years, but it seems more styled than what I'm used to. I'm growing the top out so I can eventually have something else, but i guess it works for now.

Honest opinions?

Looks pretty good. Only thing is the sides aren't tapered that great. Needs to be "faded" upwards, seems like they just used clippers?

baphomet

Looks pretty good. Only thing is the sides aren't tapered that great. Needs to be "faded" upwards, seems like they just used clippers?

It actually was faded, but not all that well. My hair grows pretty damn fast though. Sides were much shorter when it was first cut. I think the next time I have it done I'm going to find a dude to do it. No offense to the lady stylists, but the last few times I've had women cut my hair it didn't turn out quite like I wanted.

Rookje

It actually was faded, but not all that well. My hair grows pretty damn fast though. Sides were much shorter when it was first cut. I think the next time I have it done I'm going to find a dude to do it. No offense to the lady stylists, but the last few times I've had women cut my hair it didn't turn out quite like I wanted.
If they use scissor over comb, when it grows out it will still be tapered just longer. They could of done a better job, but doesn't look that bad tbh.

And yea I dig guys cutting my hair much more than the ladies.

maxxpower

Fuck me for not being able to grow a mustache. I can grow a reverse Hitler 'stache but I can't grow shit in the middle. I'm 24 so I doubt I'll ever be able to grow a mustache. I should just get laser hair removal.

Rookje

New hair...

VpWF3Ty.jpg

Wasn't going for this, but kinda turned out similar to this cut:

It kinda ended up sorta boring. Basically just a shorter textured messy cut. Not sure what I should do with it after it grows out, maybe cut the crown shorter and do a small pomp in the front?

_Isaac

I think that looks good, Rookje.

I think that works for you. You're a handsome guy so you can pretty much shave your head bald if you want to though.

This is how I feel about clothes. Handsome people look great in top notch clothes, but they still look great wearing a potato sack. I don't think it works like that with hair though. A mullet will ruin most guys' looks.

New hair...

Wasn't going for this, but kinda turned out similar to this cut:

It kinda ended up sorta boring. Basically just a shorter textured messy cut. Not sure what I should do with it after it grows out, maybe cut the crown shorter and do a small pomp in the front?
That looks solid, dude. I was under the impression you had gotten a buzzcut or something. I'd continue to let the top grow out and play around with it as it gets longer.

Darknight

Just buy it off Amazon, that's what I do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EWF2EM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$24 for a pack of 2, and free 2-day shipping with Prime.

Is this better than Murray's Pomade? Murray's is almost perfect for me. I dont mind the clay/stickiness of it. Its a PITA to get off my hands but I love the hard hold it has on my hair but its flawed.

Flawed in a sense that I get it the right way I want it but it slowly expands a little or doesnt stay put as I'd like it to after a few minutes. So I need a stronger hold than Murray's. Is AC better than Murray's in this sense? I need extra strong hold. Or do you guys put on say a spray after using pomade to get a stronger hold? Thank you.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is this better than Murray's Pomade? Murray's is almost perfect for me. I dont mind the clay/stickiness of it. Its a PITA to get off my hands but I love the hard hold it has on my hair but its flawed.

Flawed in a sense that I get it the right way I want it but it slowly expands a little or doesnt stay put as I'd like it to after a few minutes. So I need a stronger hold than Murray's. Is AC better than Murray's in this sense? I need extra strong hold. Or do you guys put on say a spray after using pomade to get a stronger hold? Thank you.
Murrays isnt really a pomade imo, even though thats what the creators seem to refer to it as. I agree that it is nearly perfect. AC pomade has very little hold in my experience. Something I have been using lately is Redken rough paste. Its hold is probably lower that Murrays, but it smells terrific and can be applied to dry hair easily, which is a big deal. Murrays hold is kind of unrivaled from what I have come across.

If you really need hold, get hairspray. Even Daniel Alfonso uses it.

Rookje

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm pretty pleased with how its turned out so far.

Been trying different products to see what works, and realized I have amassed a hefty collection of hair shit over the last 5 years.

While each product has a use for different styles/goals, I think Bumble & Bumble Sumo Tech is the best all around. Matte, pliable hold. B&B is probably my all time favorite brand too.

I really like the MOP Orange Peel Molding Cream for side parts and undercuts. American Crew pomade is best for stuff like parties where you're slicking your hair back and want that sheen. But those situations hardly ever happen for me.

3Sixty

Hi guys, first time poster long time reader.

Was in abit of a rush last night so its not perfect but this pretty much my current style.

jbk4sxkf2NQnW5_e.jpg
jSSYPXVjAGj6v_e.jpg
jbnxo2DpnJkPtI_e.jpg

Bit boring but don't know what to change to.

Rehynn

Someone please help me figure this out.

Whenever I go to my barber, my hear looks and feels great after being blowdried. It's strong and flexible, so it can hold a "natural pomp" on its own with the help of a little pomade. It's still wavy, but it pretty much only has one big curve (if that makes any sense - the top is about 4") instead of several smaller ones.

But whenever I blowdry my hair at home, it gets noticably wavier and collapses no matter what I do to it.

So I went and bought the exact same shampoo and blowdrier my barber uses, and... my hair feels smoother, but I still get the annoying waves.

What am I doing wrong?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Someone please help me figure this out.

Whenever I go to my barber, my hear looks and feels great after being blowdried. It's strong and flexible, so it can hold a "natural pomp" on its own with the help of a little pomade. It's still wavy, but it pretty much only has one big curve (if that makes any sense - the top is about 4") instead of several smaller ones.

But whenever I blowdry my hair at home, it gets noticably wavier and collapses no matter what I do to it.

So I went and bought the exact same shampoo and blowdrier my barber uses, and... my hair feels smoother, but I still get the annoying waves.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you putting anything in your hair before blow drying it? A common bit of advice that people give out often is to dry hair before adding anything, which is not good advice for everyone.

There are products such as setting sprays and creams that go in before you blow dry your hair, to make sure everything sits in the right position.

Rehynn

Are you putting anything in your hair before blow drying it? A common bit of advice that people give out often is to dry hair before adding anything, which is not good advice for everyone.

There are products such as setting sprays and creams that go in before you blow dry your hair, to make sure everything sits in the right position.

My barber doesn't put anything in my hair other than the shampoo he uses (and that I now use).

I'm starting to think there's something in the water at barber shops that makes your hair awesome, lol.

Could it be that the scissors' metal affects the hair in a positive manner? Seriously, I'm grasping at straws here.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
My barber doesn't put anything in my hair other than the shampoo he uses (and that I now use).

I'm starting to think there's something in the water at barber shops that makes your hair awesome, lol.

Could it be that the scissors' metal affects the hair in a positive manner? Seriously, I'm grasping at straws here.

That isn't water in the spray bottles. Its a setting product. They use it to cut hair easier too.

Rookje

My barber was fairly adamant when telling me most barbers use something like that instead of water.

The smell is very noticeable.

Its water + axe body spray.

But yea, I'm going to try some out and see if it does anything for me. B&B Prep maybe? What do you use?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Its water + axe body spray.

But yea, I'm going to try some out and see if it does anything for me. B&B Prep maybe? What do you use?
The only one I have actively used was AC texture cream, but that seems useless for up hairstyles. I have heard wonderful things about Layrite grooming spray.

I've read that forming cream is better for thicker, longer hair, but that stuff isn't really doing much for me. My hair is about ear-length, a little bit past the lobes, and I like to keep it parted a little off-center. Should I use it in conjunction with something else? I just hate repeatedly brushing my hair off my forehead all the time. I've been trying to model my hair on Jared Padalecki's.

Jeels

So, went for something clean and conservative for work, what say you GAF?

jsgMydaBq2fXN.png

Anyway, beyond that, I had another question that I guess relates to this thread. I grow facial hair really quickly, but I like the slight stubble look. Problem is, it grows so quickly it never lasts that long, and then obviously if I amusing a razor I have to shave it all off and look like a prepubescent boy again. Was wondering if GAF had any shaving/grooming product recommendations that would allow me to keep a certain length of facial hair. I've never really done any grooming like this before, I just always shave it off completely or leave it growing, so I am not sure where to start. Thanks!

SteveWD40

Beard trimmer, with the guard off you will usually get perfect stubble, then shave the lower neck / upper cheecks to keep it neat. If you want it a bit longer leave the guard on but use the lowest setting.

Raynes

Which non-matte wax has the best hold?
Gatsby spikey edge styles my hair really nicely but after a few minutes it'll just flatten. My TIGI bed head wax does nothing all :/

bob page

I've read that forming cream is better for thicker, longer hair, but that stuff isn't really doing much for me. My hair is about ear-length, a little bit past the lobes, and I like to keep it parted a little off-center. Should I use it in conjunction with something else? I just hate repeatedly brushing my hair off my forehead all the time. I've been trying to model my hair on Jared Padalecki's.

I like D:fi Pliable Molding Creme better than forming cream. Has the same feel but definitely has a stronger hold.

Jeels

Beard trimmer, with the guard off you will usually get perfect stubble, then shave the lower neck / upper cheecks to keep it neat. If you want it a bit longer leave the guard on but use the lowest setting.

Is there a specific beard trimmer you'd recommend?

subrock

Honest opinions?

needs to be tighter on the sides to match your beard IMO.

anybody know much about hair loss?? everytime i put water in my hair i see hair in the sink.. not alot but enough that i notice it and iv never seen that before. i know you loose so much hair normally everyday but how much is alot??

BadTaste

anybody know much about hair loss?? everytime i put water in my hair i see hair in the sink.. not alot but enough that i notice it and iv never seen that before. i know you loose so much hair normally everyday but how much is alot??

Happens to me too. I'll see the loose hair in my fingers after shampooing my hair. At first a lot of hair was coming out but I notice it only happens if you don't clean your hair regularly.

Also it may be down to going months without a haircut.

What are the best ways to combat frizzy hair? From far away I'm sure I look somewhat presentable, but up close in a mirror it sticks up everywhere. If it weren't for it getting crazy last December my hair would be even longer than it currently is, but it was driving me nuts so I chopped it off.

goober

What's a good wax or whatever that doesn't make your hair hard? idk, I just recently got a new haircut and I've never used product in my hair before

Rookje

What are the best ways to combat frizzy hair? From far away I'm sure I look somewhat presentable, but up close in a mirror it sticks up everywhere. If it weren't for it getting crazy last December my hair would be even longer than it currently is, but it was driving me nuts so I chopped it off.

Stop shampooing your hair. Use conditioner only, like twice a week. Frizzyness is just a side effect of having no moisture or oils in your hair. Style your hair with product when its damp (towel dry, don't blow dry). Try one of these products: Macadamia Deep Repair Masque, Neutrogena Clean Replenishing Deep Recovery Hair Mask, or you make your own hair masque with 1 avocado, 1 tbs honey, 1 tbs olive oil. This will "reboot" your hair with a lot of moisture.

If its REALLY bad, you can also try Emu Oil. Sounds gross, but its basically sebum in a bottle (your natural hair oils). Rub a little bit in your hair (making sure it hits your roots) before bed. You can put a towel over your pillow if your scared of it getting on your linens.

emu-oil.jpg

Top Bottom