• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

Rookje

What's a good wax or whatever that doesn't make your hair hard? idk, I just recently got a new haircut and I've never used product in my hair before
If you mean rock hard, then some kind of Gel circa de 1995.

If you mean something with a strong hold, try American Crew Fiber then finish up with a hairspray.

Rookje

anybody know much about hair loss?? everytime i put water in my hair i see hair in the sink.. not alot but enough that i notice it and iv never seen that before. i know you loose so much hair normally everyday but how much is alot??
I'd see a doctor. Get a blood panel and check your zinc, biotin, vitamin A levels. It could be a symptom of something else. Does balding run in your family?

SteveWD40

Is there a specific beard trimmer you'd recommend?

I am in the UK so not sure of brands if you are not but I use a Phillips one and it does me ok, I think there is a well know brand in the US that some youtubers mentioned but I can't recall the name.

Stop shampooing your hair. Use conditioner only, like twice a week. Frizzyness is just a side effect of having no moisture or oils in your hair. Style your hair with product when its damp (towel dry, don't blow dry). Try one of these products: Macadamia Deep Repair Masque, Neutrogena Clean Replenishing Deep Recovery Hair Mask, or you make your own hair masque with 1 avocado, 1 tbs honey, 1 tbs olive oil. This will "reboot" your hair with a lot of moisture.

If its REALLY bad, you can also try Emu Oil. Sounds gross, but its basically sebum in a bottle (your natural hair oils). Rub a little bit in your hair (making sure it hits your roots) before bed. You can put a towel over your pillow if your scared of it getting on your linens.

http://www.eczemadietsolution.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/emu-oil.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Thanks. I only shampoo once every three-four days nowadays, although that started fairly recently so maybe it's just a manner of waiting for my hair to fix itself. Bought some moisturizing shampoo and conditioner last night, and now I'm googling how to turban wrap my hair since just rubbing wet hair makes things even worse.

If you mean something with a strong hold, try American Crew Fiber then finish up with a hairspray.

I will have to try American Crew or some other pomade. The stylist I go to gave me some sort of sculpting wax. Asian brand and I can't find anything online. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot but would like to try something new. Do people generally experiment with various waxes/pomades or just stick to one that works?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I will have to try American Crew or some other pomade. The stylist I go to gave me some sort of sculpting wax. Asian brand and I can't find anything online. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot but would like to try something new. Do people generally experiment with various waxes/pomades or just stick to one that works?

I experimented with a lot of different product and ended up sticking with American Crew Pomade. If you apply it to wet hair it's kind of iffy but on dry hair it's got a pretty solid hold. The only issue is my hair gets oily over the course of the day so it tends to break out of its pomade shackles and starts getting wavy all over the place. I'll generally shower and reapply it if I need to go to an event in the evening.

A lot of it really depends on your hair style and the look you want. People can give you advice but at the end of the day it's all down to how your hair reacts to the product.

Rookje

gatsbypurplepz4.jpg

Was it this? Gatsby?

Bought the L'Oreal Power Moisture Rush Mask. Target inexplicably didn't carry any neutrogena hair products and I wasn't spending no $33 on the macadamia stuff. We'll see how this goes. My friends say my hair looks fine, but I can FEEL the frizziness. Agh!

My friends say my hair looks fine, but I can FEEL the frizziness. Agh!
If you're going to wrap your hair at night, make sure you use a silk or satin head wrap/do-rag. If you don't want to use a wrap, then make sure you use a silk or satin pillowcase. Regular cotton pillowcases pull at your hair while you sleep and absorb all its moisture. Just test this by rubbing some lotion on your elbow and then resting it on a cotton pillowcase. Your elbow is will be raw after a couple seconds, while it'll still be smooth and soft with a satin pillowcase.

Also, use some type of sealing mask on your hair. Summer is almost upon us, which means sky-high humidity. If you don't effectively seal in the moisture that you apply to your hair, your style will be ruined the moment you walk out of the house.

Invest in some extra virgin coconut oil. Dab that shit in your hair. Be amazed.

Final suggestion - rinse your hair with cold water before you step out of the shower. Same benefits for your hair as for your face.

goober

Just to clarify, I want something that DOES NOT look like a gel, something that doesn't make it too shiny or whatever, but is still able to hold my hair in whatever position.

Would the Crew Fiber be my best bet?

kaskade

Is there any specific name for this type of fade? I've been going the undercut route for a while (which everyone seems to like) but I kind of want to switch it up. It's funny cause so many people have the same hairstyle basically all their lives and I've switched it up a decent amount over the past couple of years.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Is there any specific name for this type of fade? I've been going the undercut route for a while (which everyone seems to like) but I kind of want to switch it up. It's funny cause so many people have the same hairstyle basically all their lives and I've switched it up a decent amount over the past couple of years.

The Wehrmacht haircut. It's something you will either have to describe or bring a picture of.

They will most likely fade the sides with a 1 to .5, but leave hair for a part.

kaskade

The Wehrmacht haircut. It's something you will either have to describe or bring a picture of.

They will most likely fade the sides with a 1 to .5, but leave hair for a part.

Awesome. I'd bring in a photo anyway. It's much easier to just show that than explain it. I think I need to let my sides grow out more since it was cut at a uniform 2 with my last one.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Awesome. I'd bring in a photo anyway. It's much easier to just show that than explain it. I think I need to let my sides grow out more since it was cut at a uniform 2 with my last one.

Just near the part then. The hair around the ears in that picture is significantly shorter than a 2.

Doczu

Yo gaffers, i'm finally going to cut my hair shorter (but not short) and i'm looking for some inspiration. I found only one haircut which suites me, but i'm open for other inspirations.

fryzury-meskie-2488.jpg

Something like this is what I want. Anyone has some other suggestions? The hair may be a little longer, but surely not shorter. Pics would be appreciated.

You. sir. have some sexy hair. I wish my hair wasn't as stiff and straight as it is right now.

great lookin beard

no homo

Great looking beard, regardless of sexual orientation.

New cut I got earlier this week. Not sure what the actual name of it is (half shave?), but I'm liking it a lot.
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Also JVDICAN nice cut. Have you tried styling it with any product at all?

Lookin' fresh.

Also that's a hot backyard if that's yours.

I was going to take this pic into my barber in a week or so, buuuttt....

... I might just go with yours instead.. it looks really good.

Thanks, guys. Pocks, I think you could rock the hell out of that picture you posted. Looks like it'd suit you well.

Also Rookje, the backyard belongs to my parents. I'll make sure and tell them my internet friends approve next time I visit.

Thank you! Been messing with American Crew Styling cream, and Fiber. Anything I should try as far as styling it?
Those are good things to start with. I'd probably work more on styling it until you get something you like and then worry about which product works best for you. Just put a little bit in your hands and mess around with your hair until you find something you like. Try a bunch of different things.

Desmond

Guys, any cheaper alternatives to American crew, specifically AC Forming Cream? Something I can buy easily, so mainly asking UK/Ireland Gaf here.

Edit: similarly , which Gatsby would be the same as AC Forming Cream?

Top Bottom