• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

balddemon

Banned
not hair related, but related to looking good.

1. how do I get rid of/stop acne? it's not like it takes over my face, but it's a few blemishes I don't like. do I have to start washing my face a couple times a day? any product recommendations? cold water? my forehead is the greasiest spot, but I have short hair.

2. how do I get rid of the dark circles under my eyes? I'm a pretty pale guy, but as summer comes on I'll get darker. but the circles will still be there. glasses hide them (and I look much better with glasses), but I'll need to get some new frames since I broke my old ones a while ago and am wearing contacts now. any suggestions for frames?

thanks homies.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I didn't want anything unusual and I told her exactly what to do -- #2 sides and back, taper, and an inch off the top, a bit less on the front -- so it didn't seem like it'd be necessary to have a picture. My forehead is huge and sloped with an inverse peak, so I always want the front longer and she pretty much lopped it all off.

I've never actually seen a picture of a viable style for my hair and face anyway.

but the lady that cut your hair before did it well?

1. how do I get rid of/stop acne? it's not like it takes over my face, but it's a few blemishes I don't like. do I have to start washing my face a couple times a day? any product recommendations? cold water? my forehead is the greasiest spot, but I have short hair.

2. how do I get rid of the dark circles under my eyes? I'm a pretty pale guy, but as summer comes on I'll get darker. but the circles will still be there. glasses hide them (and I look much better with glasses), but I'll need to get some new frames since I broke my old ones a while ago and am wearing contacts now. any suggestions for frames?

thanks homies.

1. My doctor told me to wash my face three times a day. I use Cetaphil with an electric brush from Proactive, but most will do fine. The brush is key here, the feeling after is euphoric. I use hot water, then cold water to rinse everything off.

2. I had them, but started using this stuff from ulta. I can't remember the name, but you should go there and ask them the same question. It wakes up your eyes some how.

I got bags under my eyes that are noticeable because of skin colour too. I tried some random stuff that people recommended and nothing really worked. Genetics are a bitch sometimes.

thanks homies.
I'll echo Sean's comments and post a few of my own.

1. Do you touch your face throughout the day? Even something as simple as wiping your forehead can cause dirt to get into your pours and lead to breakouts. Wash your hands frequently just as you would your face. Also keep an eye on your diet. Fatty foods often lead to breakouts. Some people even complain about milk and/or pre workout stimulants leading to isolated breakouts as well, but this appears to vary amongst people. Sugar too of course.

2. There are quite a few cosmetic products that claim to get rid of bags under your eyes. Midnights might know more. I use Baxter eye cream but I think you'll need something stronger as that's mostly just for looking more "awake." If it comes down to it, you could probably apply some sort of makeup under your eyes to diminish the effect. Granted, I know nothing about that area, just an idea.

BadTaste

thanks homies.

I've been using Simple Derma and Bio-oil

Simple Derma doesn't necessarily cure dry skin/acne or whatever but more-so relieves it from your skin if that makes sense. I've been using it for 4 months now, twice daily and obviously washing your face before you apply it. My skin definitely looks better.

I've only been using Bio-oil for a few days now. I have a scar on my face that it'll supposedly treat in 1-2 months. It also helps even skin tone.

balddemon

Banned
okay thanks guys. my diet is usually pretty clean, but the last several days it has been hell. I also haven't gotten much sleep, so maybe once I get back to normal sleeping patterns it will fix itself.

thanks also for the product recommendations, I'm gonna stop buy the spa in my gym and see if they have any ideas as well so I don't have to pay $5 for shipping.

Also make sure you're washing your pillowcase(s) regularly. Dirt/sweat/bacteria builds up easily on them and considering that's where you lay your head at night, it's super easy for it to get into your skin.

balddemon

Banned
Ya sheets get washed once a week.

Ok, so if I post a picture for hair suggestions, do you guys want multiple angles? Fair warning, I look like shit in pictures I take of myself hah.

BadTaste

Ya sheets get washed once a week.

Ok, so if I post a picture for hair suggestions, do you guys want multiple angles? Fair warning, I look like shit in pictures I take of myself hah.

I look like shit in pictures with fucked up complexion and split ends. Just go for it.

Rookje

cb94c31658768fb5e045955180fecc9a.jpg

e38d1cbe1e7e6b544d394d1f98643c56.jpg

BGyT6hfCAAAmrEW.png

Bryce Harper

359cc75bc18ba5cd2e2a2b2522a6e2b5.jpg

200541327b66a6033888830e34c7ca93.jpg

tumblr_mhiopjeGxv1qgeruwo1_1280.jpg

0287eb978e413149e103e626501371c7.jpg

246d43a382e355b231d37bf17a7864be.jpg

Mabef

Banned
Hair cream recommendations? I've never put stuff in my hair regularly so I know nothing.

I figure cream is the way to go since I have short, thick, straight and greasy hair, and I dont need styling so much as taming. Something discrete would be nice.

Any good brands to look out for at the drug store?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hair cream recommendations? I've never put stuff in my hair regularly so I know nothing.

I figure cream is the way to go since I have short, thick, straight and greasy hair, and I dont need styling so much as taming. Something discrete would be nice.

Any good brands to look out for at the drug store?
If drug store brands are what you need, AC is preferable in my book. I would go for forming cream.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Fuck my barber quit his job.

Thanks! I was feeling impulsive on the way home and picked some up. Been needing this for a while now.

Remember, if you apply it in wet hair, it will dry like a gel unfortunately. If you don't like that crispy feeling, apply to damp-dry hair, or apply in wet and follow with a dryer.

Cocktail it with AC pomade if you want more shine.

Rookje

You could totally pull it off (no joke).

I've been considering it too, but I'm such a perfectionist I'm not sure I could ever settle on something I like.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
It sounds like we have the same kind of hair, but I just can't pull off the Draper look too well.
Pics?

I've been meaning to respond to this but I've been extremely busy at work.

I don't actually have any good photos of my hair, but I can tell you the product you use is really important. I didn't see any success until I started using American Crew Pomade. That shit is strong and will hold your hair properly. I apply it right after I shower, but I have to make sure my hair isn't too wet. I dry it until it's just damp and then I spread some pomade over my hands and apply through my hair front-to-back. Then I do another pass from back-to-front. Since my hair is really thick I then do another pass from front-to-back.

Now you need to use a fine tooth comb; if the teeth on the comb are too far apart and your hair is thick and wavy, then your hair will go haywire and do its own thing. With a fine tooth comb I find that my hair stays the way I style it, and I don't even need to use a hair dryer, which is unheard of for me.

Hair's going a bit thin on the middle of my scalp fellas. Enough for people to notice it, but enough to truly become a problem.
Any recommendations that don't involve just shaving it all off?

It's really an odd circumstance considering that when I was younger I had longer, straighter hair and now it's average length and wavy.
Maybe that's just the ravages of time at work.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Hair's going a bit thin on the middle of my scalp fellas. Enough for people to notice it, but enough to truly become a problem.
Any recommendations that don't involve just shaving it all off?

It's really an odd circumstance considering that when I was younger I had longer, straighter hair and now it's average length and wavy.
Maybe that's just the ravages of time at work.
Hair transplant?

Finally found a style that fits me and is easy to maintain. It's basically a well done version of this...

Which was an accident and done very poorly, but i liked how it came out overall. So I took the pic to a new barber and he nailed it. 8 on top 1/2 on the sides faded.

Question what do you guys tip on a $10 barber cut?

lunchtoast

Finally found a style that fits me and is easy to maintain. It's basically a well done version of this...

Which was an accident and done very poorly, but i liked how it came out overall. So I took the pic to a new barber and he nailed it. 8 on top 1/2 on the sides faded.

Question what do you guys tip on a $10 barber cut?

I would tip 2-3$

Rehynn

I've been meaning to respond to this but I've been extremely busy at work.

I don't actually have any good photos of my hair, but I can tell you the product you use is really important. I didn't see any success until I started using American Crew Pomade. That shit is strong and will hold your hair properly. I apply it right after I shower, but I have to make sure my hair isn't too wet. I dry it until it's just damp and then I spread some pomade over my hands and apply through my hair front-to-back. Then I do another pass from back-to-front. Since my hair is really thick I then do another pass from front-to-back.

Now you need to use a fine tooth comb; if the teeth on the comb are too far apart and your hair is thick and wavy, then your hair will go haywire and do its own thing. With a fine tooth comb I find that my hair stays the way I style it, and I don't even need to use a hair dryer, which is unheard of for me.

Good to know, thanks. I've only tried two kinds of Sweet Georgia Brown so far, and the blue one almost did the trick, but then I looked in the mirror a couple hours later and my waves were back with a vengeance.

I don't dare use pomade without drying my hair (= taming the waves somewhat), I'm afraid it would just give the waves extra strength... that's what the water-based SGB did anyway.

Unfortunately, AC is $20/tin here, but it's worth a try I guess.

Growing quite fond of Layrite as of today.

How is it if you don't want a full-on greasy pomp or the flat slicked-back look, but rather just something to hold hair back and keep it from falling apart? This is what I mean.

baphomet

This is what I've been rocking the past 2 weeks. Not sure how i feel about it though. I guess it's a nice change from the fuax hawk I've had for the past few years, but it seems more styled than what I'm used to. I'm growing the top out so I can eventually have something else, but i guess it works for now.

Honest opinions?

Rehynn

This is what I've been rocking the past 2 weeks. Not sure how i feel about it though. I guess it's a nice change from the fuax hawk I've had for the past few years, but it seems more styled than what I'm used to. I'm growing the top out so I can eventually have something else, but i guess it works for now.

Honest opinions?

The hair looks really good, but it just doesn't go with the tunnels. And neither does the shirt.

Hoo-doo

Banned
The hair looks really good, but it just doesn't go with the tunnels. And neither does the shirt.

Going to agree with this guy here. The cut is great and you're a handsome well-dressed dude.

The tunnels, while i'm not against people having them, kind of clash with the neat and clean look you have. Although that does make you look kind of unique.

baphomet

I've had them for 15 years so they're not going anywhere anytime soon. If I felt like spending the grand or whatever to fix them i would, but they've never interfered with my job or anything like that so I don't see any reason to at the moment.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Good to know, thanks. I've only tried two kinds of Sweet Georgia Brown so far, and the blue one almost did the trick, but then I looked in the mirror a couple hours later and my waves were back with a vengeance.

I don't dare use pomade without drying my hair (= taming the waves somewhat), I'm afraid it would just give the waves extra strength... that's what the water-based SGB did anyway.

Unfortunately, AC is $20/tin here, but it's worth a try I guess.

Just buy it off Amazon, that's what I do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EWF2EM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$24 for a pack of 2, and free 2-day shipping with Prime.

Rehynn

Just buy it off Amazon, that's what I do.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EWF2EM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

$24 for a pack of 2, and free 2-day shipping with Prime.

Not if you're in Hungary though:-( But thanks anyway.

It controls my hair really well, but no it isn't too much like a pomp. Apply to even slightly wet hair and the stuff is useless

Thanks, I actually got to try it today after getting a cut, and it feels really nice in my hair.

Top Bottom