• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

kaskade

I think I'm going to try and get a little more length on my top again and go a little more undercut like I used to have. Since cutting it shorter I just haven't been as satisfied. I just wish it would grow faster.

rokkerkory

Been cutting my hair since high school, it's not perfect but oh wells... I like to do it and it saves money.

sorry for cheesy smile

188736_10151296578733758_1859616376_n.jpg

This threads been inactive for awhile. Where is everyone?

I feel like I bump this nearly every other time I go for a cut. Im really bored of my current one and I just defautl back to it everytime I get in the chair.

No clue if theres anything "new" happening in mens hair these days, its bloody hard to find out on google thats for sure.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?

I feel like I bump this nearly every other time I go for a cut. Im really bored of my current one and I just defautl back to it everytime I get in the chair.

No clue if theres anything "new" happening in mens hair these days, its bloody hard to find out on google thats for sure.

I spoke to someone in one of GAF's chatrooms, and it seems as though we
(by we I mean probably me)
have a reputation for recommending the same haircut to new comers over and over again. I would love if this thread was more active but I think our main source of traffic will always be people wanting to change themselves. Since I think I might have too much of a narrow minded preference on recommendations, I am trying to stay out of here unless we talk about products or styling or whatever.

Growing my hair out :(

Rehynn

I've actually been thinking about what the next thing might be after the now ubiquitous undercut... and I have no idea.
I still enjoy my current cut, but it's just not sitting well with my punk side* that so many others have essentially the same hair, lol.

*a mohawk is not an option.

Tom_Cody

have a reputation for recommending the same haircut to new comers over and over again. I would love if this thread was more active but I think our main source of traffic will always be people wanting to change themselves. Since I think I might have too much of a narrow minded preference on recommendations, I am trying to stay out of here unless we talk about products or styling or whatever.
I think's that's the main issue. This essentially became an OT for The Undercut. There are only so many posts you can have on that topic; especially now that the trend has kind of moved on.

I've actually been thinking about what the next thing might be after the now ubiquitous undercut... and I have no idea.
I still enjoy my current cut, but it's just not sitting well with my punk side* that so many others have essentially the same hair, lol.

*a mohawk is not an option.
My exact thoughts. I've been wanting to change things up with my last few cuts but I still haven't come up with any ideas.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Another factor might be that we are in the community section.

I really wish someone could convince Evilore that certain OTs really don't belong there. Threads like this and men's grooming are for reference threads essentially. Meaning that the most traffic is going to come from people browsing Off Topic that read the title and think, "Hey, a men's hair thread. I could use a nice haircut!" Threads like this are dying because it is the same ten or so people in post rotation. Pair a move back to OT with a steady amount of varying opinions and we could become somewhat respectable.

omgkitty

I'm looking for some advice on not using shampoo. Did it for close to a month, but had a few issues. I started to get some dandruff, not a whole lot where I could see it on my clothes, but looking closely I could see it in my hair.

My hair would also become kind of stiff and unmanageable after taking a shower. It would stick out until I either got it wet or waited for it to dry completely. I also noticed I needed to take a shower every morning or my hair would look dirty and greasy.

Any tips here, especially about the dandruff? I ended up washing my hair a few days ago, but still have some dandruff and doubt it will go away unless I wash it a few more times. I do like the way my hair feels though, and like how easily manageable it is without any sort of product in it.

Tom_Cody

I really wish someone could convince Evilore that certain OTs really don't belong there. Threads like this and men's grooming are for reference threads essentially. Meaning that the most traffic is going to come from people browsing Off Topic that read the title and think, "Hey, a men's hair thread. I could use a nice haircut!" Threads like this are dying because it is the same ten or so people in post rotation. Pair a move back to OT with a steady amount of varying opinions and we could become somewhat respectable.
I agree completely. IMO the community section only makes sense for sport threads and poli gaf; theads that frequently get 100s of posts a day and have dedicated followers. Threads like that can clogs up the off topic front page. Threads like this are harmless.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
I agree completely. IMO the community section only makes sense for sport threads and poli gaf; theads that frequently get 100s of posts a day and have dedicated followers. Threads like that can clogs up the off topic front page. Threads like this are harmless.

I wonder if we could get anywhere with a few PMs to mods and admins.

Don't get me wrong, even having others acknowledge this feels good, but it has been on my mind for months now. I wish we could actually do something about it.

Loxley

I think it's worth PM'ing Evilore about. My Tolkien |OT| is still located in Off-Topic, and I'm certain it's because it only gets one or two posts a week on a normal basis.

Yeah most people are going to see the thread on the main page and think "hmm maybe I could do with some hair advice" and join in.

Didnt get a cut in the end, Its shit when your fav barber moves on. Wasnt going to risk it with the guy im not sure on. Better safe than sorry.

Think Im going to grow out the undercut but god knows I need a trim atleast.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I got a haircut the other day that I'm not really happy with. I can no longer part my hair the way I want because the hair on either side of the part is so short that it sticks up vertically even if I apply product and try to comb it down. So instead of parting my hair where it naturally parts, I am parting it an inch or two closer to the center of my head since the hair there is long enough for the part not to look retarded.

Can't wait to grow my hair out and get it cut properly.

Rehynn

I'm looking for some advice on not using shampoo. Did it for close to a month, but had a few issues. I started to get some dandruff, not a whole lot where I could see it on my clothes, but looking closely I could see it in my hair.

My hair would also become kind of stiff and unmanageable after taking a shower. It would stick out until I either got it wet or waited for it to dry completely. I also noticed I needed to take a shower every morning or my hair would look dirty and greasy.

Any tips here, especially about the dandruff? I ended up washing my hair a few days ago, but still have some dandruff and doubt it will go away unless I wash it a few more times. I do like the way my hair feels though, and like how easily manageable it is without any sort of product in it.

Try washing you hair with cold water only, and use the standard baking soda + water mix. I had insane dandruff when I was washing my hair only with water, and this did a lot to tame it. If your situation is not too bad, it should help you get rid of dandruff completely.

DO try the vinegar rinse too (I recommend apple vinegar), as it makes your hair more manageable and keeps it from drying out.

Baking Soda Wash: Add one tablespoon of baking soda to one cup of water inside the squeeze bottle. Shake well. Use enough in the shower to fully saturate only the roots of your hair. A pre-made bottle of this solution will last me 4 washings (but it’s going to be different for every person.) I also have to use 2 tablespoons of bs in my solution instead of just one. Keep in your hair until it starts feeling ‘slippery.’ I’ve noticed this change after about 2 minutes. THOROUGHLY rinse out.

Vinegar Rinse: Add two tablespoons of vinegar to one cup of water inside a spray bottle. Shake well. Apply to length of hair (roots are not needed) paying special attention to your roots. Keep in for the remainder of your shower and rinse right before you get out. Some women keep it in as a leave-in conditioner (personally, I’m not sure about this one).

This combo should give you the same effect as washing with water only, but with a cleaner-feeling hair and scalp.

omgkitty

Try washing you hair with cold water only, and use the standard baking soda + water mix. I had insane dandruff when I was washing my hair only with water, and this did a lot to tame it. If your situation is not too bad, it should help you get rid of dandruff completely.

DO try the vinegar rinse too (I recommend apple vinegar), as it makes your hair more manageable and keeps it from drying out.

This combo should give you the same effect as washing with water only, but with a cleaner-feeling hair and scalp.

Should be easy enough. Thanks! I will say I have noticed when I take colder showers, my hair does tend to react better and becomes more manageable. Only thing is that with it being winter, cold showers are sometimes unbearable. I know that cold showers are actually better for you overall, it just becomes a little hard to do sometimes.

flippedb

Banned
Last time I cut my hair myself. It was rewarding, and the cut came ok.

I might cut it again this week, and I'll make sure to take some pics.

have a reputation for recommending the same haircut to new comers over and over again.

lol I've noticed this as well. The one with short sides and long on top combed back. No idea what it's called.

I really wish someone could convince Evilore that certain OTs really don't belong there. Threads like this and men's grooming are for reference threads essentially.

This. Add the men's fashion thread too it and you have the men's style trinity of threads that really should be in OT, not buried in Community. FilmGAF was only able to avoid Community by going monthly, which hasn't been the greatest.

LJ11

Had one a few years ago, it becomes a pain in the ass, especially in the winter. Was shedding like a cat after a while from tugging my hair back all the time. Took a bit to straighten my hair out after I cut it because it was always pulled back so it remained that way even after I cut it. Probably should have just shaved my head and started clean.

It can be fun though, can do some interesting things with longer hair.

Should be easy enough. Thanks! I will say I have noticed when I take colder showers, my hair does tend to react better and becomes more manageable. Only thing is that with it being winter, cold showers are sometimes unbearable. I know that cold showers are actually better for you overall, it just becomes a little hard to do sometimes.

I tried going cold water a couple times, but I swear it is impossible in the winter. Usually in the morning I have the hot almost maxed out in the shower because it is so cold when I wake up

Rehynn

The man-bun. It's everywhere here lately as dudes are all growing out their undercuts.

Not bad at all, but it would take me a year of looking increasingly dorky before I could maybe make it work. And I have a lot of hair, so I'd either have to pull it back super-tight, or my head would look like a hairy lollipop.

Bought the Clay Pomade and got it today. Stuff was thick, I really had to dig my finger in to scoop some out. Man, I wish I didn't wait so long to get it. It's really good, I think I have a new favorite product.

Growing my hair out again, though. I got a dapper little side part similar to JGL back in October after my mop became too much to bear. It got a good reception from my contemporaries, but I miss my lustrous flowing locks. Made a pact with a friend who is getting married next October to not get a haircut until before his wedding. I've never gone a full year with no cuts, should be fun!

Bought the Clay Pomade and got it today. Stuff was thick, I really had to dig my finger in to scoop some out. Man, I wish I didn't wait so long to get it. It's really good, I think I have a new favorite product.

Growing my hair out again, though. I got a dapper little side part similar to JGL back in October after my mop became too much to bear. It got a good reception from my contemporaries, but I miss my lustrous flowing locks. Made a pact with a friend who is getting married next October to not get a haircut until before his wedding. I've never gone a full year with no cuts, should be fun!

How are you dealing with that fucked up few months in hair? Mine is a complete mess so i just wear something on my head whenever i go out. Not long enough to look good yet.

I usually put on a cap or a beanie on days I don't work because I don't give a crap how it looks, but on work days it can take a while to work into something respectable. My hair is naturally thick and wavy, so the awkward stage is chock full of cowlicks. Not fun.

I usually put on a cap or a beanie on days I don't work because I don't give a crap how it looks, but on work days it can take a while to work into something respectable. My hair is naturally thick and wavy, so the awkward stage is chock full of cowlicks. Not fun.

Mine is'nt very wavy but it is thick. The sides are damn unbearable.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I have thick wavy hair too and getting it to look nice and neat is a little tough since it always has a mind of its own. I use American Crew pomade and generally blowdry it after I've gotten it in the shape I want to hold it together. I'm thinking of spring for a stronger hold though, since AC Pomade doesn't always cut it. Are there any stronger pomades out there that I should try?

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Someone posted this to reddit and has under cut styles in there.

http://thefashiontag.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/the-undercut-men-hairstyle-trend-2013/

Some of them aren't exactly undercuts but it's a pretty good inspiration album. I think I might go back to the undercut look. I did get a lot of compliments on it. I guess that's the plus of being in a small town. Being even slightly more fashionable makes you look like like you know what you're doing.

Sometimes I wonder if this will become so widespread that it lasts as a trend for a super long time. It's really confusing to me because at least a year ago, it felt like something that only a few types of people were doing.

nilbog21

Banned
Hi guys has anyone had this problem, i've been buzzing my hair for a while now and for some recently I can't get the back to blend perfectly, there seems to be patches or streaks of uneven hair.. Not sure if my skull is shaped funny but it did not used to do this =[

RedAssedApe

Banned
what do you guys use to wash out stuff like the following?

american crew fiber
paul mitchel tea tree shaping cream

i like the matte look but washing it out is super annoying and i always still feel like i haven't gotten all of it out :\

PS_GUY

I want to try to grow out my hair but don't want to go through that awkward phase of the semi-long hair. I also dislike wearing hats too. #firstworldproblems

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
what do you guys use to wash out stuff like the following?

american crew fiber
paul mitchel tea tree shaping cream

i like the matte look but washing it out is super annoying and i always still feel like i haven't gotten all of it out :\

Apparently detergent is a thing, but the only real success I have had is with washing and washing with whatever shampoo until it is at least relatively normal again.

This is the reason that I have been more in favor of water based stuff lately, primarily Suavecito strong hold.

Top Bottom