• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men's Hair |OT|

kaskade

I think I'm going to try and grow my hair out some. Right now it's probably at the longest it's been on the top. I've resorted to wearing a headband around the house to keep it out of my face. Let's see how long I last before I get fed up with it.

I'm trying to achieve this hairstyle with my wavy hair:

qzz1.jpg

Last time I got my hair cut was a size 2 shaver on everything, about 3 weeks ago. I've decided to grow it out because I've had the same short hairstyle for a few years now and I think its time to change it up. Anyone know if the hairstyle in the pic has a certain name or is it just grown out and cut a certain way?

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Aight men's hair gaf, I need some advice, I'm always shit at pickin out hairstyles. I've gone short most of my life, and last year I just decided to grow it out my hair for a solid 6-8 months, no trimming, no nothing. So now my hair is pretty long and I have three choices: go back to short, go for something in between, or leave it around here (or longer). What do you guys think? Recommend me some cuts!

Short hair:
o9iSwrO.png

Long hair:
2UpnCjC.jpg

lunchtoast

I think you look better with short hair, but it also looks like you gained some weight between the two, or that's just how you look with longer hair.

Rookje

Shorter hair >

Texturize and dishevele your hair. Make sure its dry, not that wet oily look. Its nagl on dark hair like yours.

Kyne

Aight men's hair gaf, I need some advice, I'm always shit at pickin out hairstyles. I've gone short most of my life, and last year I just decided to grow it out my hair for a solid 6-8 months, no trimming, no nothing. So now my hair is pretty long and I have three choices: go back to short, go for something in between, or leave it around here (or longer). What do you guys think? Recommend me some cuts!

Short hair:
o9iSwrO.png

Long hair:
2UpnCjC.jpg

'-' shia labeef?

short hair, unless it's a before/after picture and you gained some weight. then the long hair

Has anyone tried the Slick Pomade from Baxter?

I've had the Clay before and it's amazing but I don't think that'll work for my ever lengthening hair

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
'-' shia labeef?

short hair, unless it's a before/after picture and you gained some weight. then the long hair

You don't know how often I get that, Shia Lebeouf or Nick Jonas... And yeah the short hair pic is from over a year ago, I've gained some weight since then.

Texturize and dishevele your hair. Make sure its dry, not that wet oily look. Its nagl on dark hair like yours.

Man I always get the opposite feeling, I've always been goin after that wet look.

I'm startin to lean towards going back to short hair simply because long hair, as much as I like it, has been really tedious to maintain. This picture is also kind of deceiving since when my hair is dry it curls a lot more, and so you can imagine waking up in the morning I got this monstrous fro that takes some time to get down--I actually usually just wear a hat for 5-10 minutes making it a lot easier to shape, which is sort of a lazy/quick fix I guess.

Anyhow, thanks for the feedback thus far guys, really appreciate it :).

Need some good shampoo/conditioner recommendations. Been trying the baking soda vinegar for a month and has given me horrible dandruff and my current shampoo/conditioner seems to make it worse.

Dany

Banned
What hair gel do you guys use, i like firm hold/high shine. Curious if American Crew is the best for the money's worth.

Need some good shampoo/conditioner recommendations. Been trying the baking soda vinegar for a month and has given me horrible dandruff and my current shampoo/conditioner seems to make it worse.

Why the bakingsoda? I just use water now and god damn if my hair isnt as good as it ever was with shampoo. Seemingly strong as hell as well.

What hair gel do you guys use, i like firm hold/high shine. Curious if American Crew is the best for the money's worth.
I think the general consensus here is that American Crew is pretty mediocre. You can certainly get better stuff for around the same price range or a little bit more.

Have you looked into any of Baxter's products? Their Hard Water Pomade might be what you're after. I use the Clay right now and love it. Not a whole lot of shine but fantastic hold.

What do you guys think? I just got a haircut and this is the first time I did something like this so i need the advice of people who do not know me like my friends or family members. My hairstylist left it a little long on top imo, but I can work with it. He made me look like macklemore at first and when friends pointed it out I washed my hair out and redid it :p

Rehynn

What do you guys think? I just got a haircut and this is the first time I did something like this so i need the advice of people who do not know me like my friends or family members. My hairstylist left it a little long on top imo, but I can work with it. He made me look like macklemore at first and when friends pointed it out I washed my hair out and redid it :p

No, I'd say it's perfectly fine, looks good.

Maybe a bit too much product in the second pic?

Dany

Banned
I think the general consensus here is that American Crew is pretty mediocre. You can certainly get better stuff for around the same price range or a little bit more.

Have you looked into any of Baxter's products? Their Hard Water Pomade might be what you're after. I use the Clay right now and love it. Not a whole lot of shine but fantastic hold.
Thanks man, I'll look into it

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I've decided to stop fighting my thick wavy hair and just let it do its thing. Anyone have any suggestions for product that is good for throwing into wavy hair? I have pomade that I was using for my part but since I'm not longer doing that I'm not sure if pomade is the way to go.

Rehynn

I've decided to stop fighting my thick wavy hair and just let it do its thing. Anyone have any suggestions for product that is good for throwing into wavy hair? I have pomade that I was using for my part but since I'm not longer doing that I'm not sure if pomade is the way to go.

I'm (re-)discovering mousse, and it's been pretty awesome so far. Apparently, if you let it naturally dry in your hair, it gives it even better texture and makes waves and curls softer but more defined. I've yet to try this, as I use it to tame my waves a little, not accentuate them, but it definitely helps control frizz and flyaways.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm (re-)discovering mousse, and it's been pretty awesome so far. Apparently, if you let it naturally dry in your hair, it gives it even better texture and makes waves and curls softer but more defined. I've yet to try this, as I use it to tame my waves a little, not accentuate them, but it definitely helps control frizz and flyaways.

Mousse you say? Can't say I've ever tried that but it's probably worth a shot. Any brands in particular you recommend?

You can do anything to hair. If it's thick you can thin it, if it's curly you can straighten it, if it's straight you can make it wavy, if it's thin you can add some volume.

Just gotta put in the effort.

You can do anything to hair. If it's thick you can thin it, if it's curly you can straighten it, if it's straight you can make it wavy, if it's thin you can add some volume.

Just gotta put in the effort.

Speaking of thinning out hair, how often should I have it done? I did it in December for the first time and it worked wonders.

nick nacc

Banned
So I had the buzzed sides and parted top for a while. Loved it. Now I am bored and going to grow some long Jesus hair. Any tips? (Other than don't cut your hair lol) I have noticed that I have to use conditioner consistently or it feels ratty as hell. I also am just straight growing it from the buzzed sides long top stage. It doesn't look awkward.

So I had the buzzed sides and parted top for a while. Loved it. Now I am bored and going to grow some long Jesus hair. Any tips? (Other than don't cut your hair lol) I have noticed that I have to use conditioner consistently or it feels ratty as hell. I also am just straight growing it from the buzzed sides long top stage. It doesn't look awkward.

I think I'm at about month 4 going from a zero clip on the sides and and 8 on top. It's been a frustrating hat filled couple of months. Still awfully awkward but it's getting there.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Speaking of thinning out hair, how often should I have it done? I did it in December for the first time and it worked wonders.

I do it every time I get my hair done.

but my hair is also extremely thick. like pulling your hand through clay.

Applied the clay pomade while my hair was damp and blowdried it. Amazing hold today. Family and coworkers love calling me Clark Kent whenever I wear my Oakleys.

Dany

Banned
Thanks fella's Baxters is fantastic, only need a little to get the job done, much better than american crew.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I just started trying Gatsby Spikey Edge and Air Rise. I don't use it like they do in the demos, but holy shit Japan's hair products are decades ahead of stuff like Crew Fiber. Permanently switched, and I'm 30. Marketers say I'm at the age where I'm not marketable. They're right, but not because I'm too old to change, but because I don't buy shit just because it's advertised a lot. This is good stuff.

Wish I knew about this stuff when I was 18. I probably have 5-10 years left where I can use this kind of stuff. I'm slowly balding. I can grow out my hair and use it just fine now, but underneath it's a changing.

I always thought this guy had the best ones.

tumblr_mtm2madj131siw0k6o1_500.jpg

I'm gonna think it over a bit and see if it's really worth it. I can't imagine it lasts more than a month or two.

I just started trying Gatsby Spikey Edge and Air Rise. I don't use it like they do in the demos, but holy shit Japan's hair products are decades ahead of stuff like Crew Fiber. Permanently switched, and I'm 30. Marketers say I'm at the age where I'm not marketable. They're right, but not because I'm too old to change, but because I don't buy shit just because it's advertised a lot. This is good stuff.

Wish I knew about this stuff when I was 18. I probably have 5-10 years left where I can use this kind of stuff. I'm slowly balding. I can grow out my hair and use it just fine now, but underneath it's a changing.

The only problem with gatsby I found is that it is super hard to wash out. If you use it everyday that shit stays in your hair even after you wash it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
The only problem with gatsby I found is that it is super hard to wash out. If you use it everyday that shit stays in your hair even after you wash it.

I agree, but only with Spikey Edge. I've decided Air Rise is my appropriate version because my hair is a bit too long for Spikey Edge. Air rise doesn't clump and leaves my hair soft to touch.

Top Bottom