• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mentally Retarded Man to be Executed in Texas, May 13 [Stay of Execution]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
If I understand correctly it's due to the fact that when they let the public know what the cocktail is, the places they buy the ingredients for the cocktails refuse to sell it to them. Usually these plants are in Europe.

The places that do decide to sell to them also face some economic pressure from their other customers.

Goliath

I wonder if the woman was thinking the same as he was raping her? Or when he told her to run and shot her twice after raping her? Awww poor low iq man pls understand! Or when he paraded around in her car for a couple of days, giving rides (and her clothes and rings) to his buddies and his girlfriend on the days following the crime? Sometimes people just go too far and there's no way to fix them. He wasted away his humanity that night

But I just wish the execution method was more clean. Those mystery mixtures are making things worse.

meh, for a crime that cruel I am OK with him suffering.

Daft_Cat

Is there some website where i can read the last words of their victims? Pretty sure some didn't have time to make full statements and whatnot,

Do you actually think he was trying to disregard victims of violent crime by posting that website?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Campbell was convicted of the January 1991 abduction and murder of Alexandra Rendon in Houston. Rendon, a Bank One employee, was kidnapped from a Chevron station and driven to a desolate area. Campbell and codefendant Leroy Lewis robbed her of her money and jewelry and then raped her.
Random was marched at gunpoint to a field and then told by Campbell to run. Campbell shot once at Rendon's head but missed. He then shot her in the back and left her to die.

Lewis later gave police a taped confession. Rendon's body was found 12 days after the murder.

Yeah. I'm okay with the sentence.

Zee-Row

Banned
Vengeance is a justifiable emotion IMO. I have trouble breathing sometimes when I think about the guy that killed my Mom is just sitting comfortable in a jail. I personally can't feel closure until the guy is dead.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Vengeance is a justifiable emotion IMO. I have trouble breathing sometimes when I think about the guy that killed my Mom is just sitting comfortable in a jail. I personally can't feel closure until the guy is dead.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's a terrible position for you to be in.

He was still given the actual diagnosis as I can tell, the test scores were just one specific thing cited.

I'd love to see the evaluations.

Just for anyone curious, I'm a school psychologist. A large part of my job is doing psycho-educational evaluations which are often used to determine whether an individual meets state and federal criteria for having an Intellectual Disability. I see all kinds of half-assed evaluations qualifying individuals when they don't even come close to criteria.

Goliath

And this is ultimately why the death penalty exists. So people can feel some sort of vengeance.

IMO,we as a species should be above this.

There is a thin line between vengence and punishment. But let's be real, not everyone can be rehabilitated even IF we PRENTENDED that going to jail rehabilitated people. So what do you do with those people, keep them locked up forever or wait till the prison system gets overcrowded and let him out in 25?

The problem is that there is really no nice way to handle really really terrible people.

Daft_Cat

Have you looked into therapy? I'm not trying to be a dick. It's just that "vengeance as a justifiable emotion" is a pretty warped point of view. It's one thing to "feel it", and another to "embrace it" or try to "justify it". It must be difficult to live with the kind of anger that I bolded.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
There is a thin line between vengence and punishment. But let's be real, not everyone can be rehabilitated even IF we PRENTENDED that going to jail rehabilitated people. So what do you do with those people, keep them locked up forever or wait till the prison system gets overcrowded and let him out in 25?

The problem is that there is really no nice way to handle really really terrible people.

Rehabilitation does work though. The US just has nothing close to anything that's ever even slightly resembled a true rehabilitation system.

I'm not at all educated on rehab on such serious crimes though. And even then... I'm much in favor of punishment. And if the US were to give people the death penalty still, then I'd like it to not cost a fortune and take longer than a life sentence.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Have you looked into therapy? I'm not trying to be a dick. It's just that "vengeance as a justifiable emotion" is a pretty warped point of view. It's one thing to "feel it", and another to "embrace it" or try to "justify it". It must be difficult to live with the kind of anger that I bolded.

Have any of your loved ones been murdered?

Like I said ... We as a species should be above this. I'm sorry for your loss and think your feelings are justified on a personal level. We shouldn't base our policies of government sanctioned murder on the emotions of those affected. Basically I dont expect you to be a rational entity in this debate.

Crystalkoen

The person being put to death by the prison has a right as a human being, even if they have robbed others of that right, to die a quick and relatively painless death. I understand the situation that leads into the pharmacy remaining anonymous, but feel there should be some accountability for what they produce. If they get a situation like that Oklahoma man that got to writhe in agony for the better part of an hour, the pharmacy should be held accountable for that, and their name and concoction made known.

I will go on record saying that I feel vengeance does not equal justice, but I support the killing of inmates who show no capability of rehabilitating from their crimes. I'd also state that it should only be used in situations where there is indisputable, no shadow-of-the-doubt evidence showing they did what they're accused of doing, and they show no remorse for having done it. But that's an argument for another thread, I think.

If I understand correctly it's due to the fact that when they let the public know what the cocktail is, the places they buy the ingredients for the cocktails refuse to sell it to them. Usually these plants are in Europe.

Aye, NPR touched upon this last week with the oklahoma execution debacle. They switched to these unverified drugs because these other drugs were primarily made in Europe, and the EU drug manufacturers have a restriction against selling drugs that are used to end a life, so they had to switch to something else.

Also, states aren't required to disclose the origin of execution drugs because those pharmacies would likely be picketed by pro-lifers.

Zee-Row

Banned
Have you looked into therapy? I'm not trying to be a dick. It's just that "vengeance as a justifiable emotion" is a pretty warped point of view, and it must be difficult to live with the kind of anger that I bolded.

Therapy is really expensive and really isn't going to help me. I'm still paying a hospital thousands of dollars for going to the emergency room a few years ago and don't wanna rack up anymore bills. But yeah it is difficult living sometimes. I'll randomly just cry sometimes when I come across a picture of my mother. Honestly posting here or playing Video Games or going to work is my only escape from all that. If I have a few minutes to stop and think hard about things then it can get a little difficult for me.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The idea that there's some kind of 'humane' way to execute someone is a laughable delusion to make people feel better about their bloodlust.

Considering the fact that administering the death penalty is more expensive than letting them rot in jail... and that's with a flawed process the results in plenty of innocent people arriving on death row... cutting corners to reduce the cost certainly isn't going to help there.

I don't see what good the death penalty does except to appease some people's baser instincts.

The US system isn't rehabilitation. It's never been. I also doubt death row inmates contribute in any meaningful way to the crowding of our prisons.

IMO, the moment "punishment" means taking a life, we've crossed that line into "vengeance" territory.

StayDead

But still has life.

A life with no freedom. An eye for an eye is not the example you should be setting to people and if it's supposed to discourage people from commiting crimes then damn, it doesn't seem to be working. I mean your prison system which treats prisoners like animals mixed with the execution system which exists as the prisons profit from everyone they kill certainly hasn't done anything so far to reduce the crime rates.

Brakke

Banned
Sorry for the tone of the original title. I went with the simple title because there are several issues here: the condemned's mental state and the method of execution particularly, and I couldn't make everything fit so it left it to the OP.

Doesn't it cost more to execute someone than it does to keep them alive/in prison? I might be getting things confused here.

It costs approximately twice as much per year to incarcerate a person on death row than in the general population. Defending someone in a trial with a potential death sentence can be four times as expensive as defending someone on trial for the same crime when the death penalty isn't an option.

I'm not sure what the comparison of the costs is, all up.

Daft_Cat

Someone close? I've had family murdered too, but it's a bit different when it's a distant cousin and not your mother.

I'm not sure if you think you have a point here.

Therapy is really expensive and really isn't going to help me. I'm still paying a hospital thousands of dollars for going to the emergency room a few years ago and don't wanna rack up anymore bills. But yeah it is difficult living sometimes. I'll randomly just cry sometimes when I come across a picture of my mother. Honestly posting here or playing Video Games or going to work is my only escape from all that. If I have a few minutes to stop and think hard about things then it can get a little difficult for me.

That sucks man. Like I said, wasn't trying to be a dick. We could talk more about this...but this sort of inflammatory thread probably isn't the right place.

The US system isn't rehabilitation. It's never been. I also doubt death row inmates contribute in any meaningful way to the crowding of our prisons.

IMO, the moment "punishment" means taking a life, we've crossed that line into "vengeance" territory.

I view prison as a deterrent for crime. I won't commit any crimes because I don't want to go to prison. If the punishment for a crime is death, I sure as hell will never commit that crime.

It's fucked up, but I have no problem with this system.

Satch

Banned
I view prison as a deterrent for crime. I won't commit any crimes because I don't want to go to prison. If the punishment for a crime is death, I sure as hell will never commit that crime.

It isn't that great of a deterrent, considering our incarceration rates.

Leunam

I know people here think that it's a waste of money to keep prisoners alive, but I'm of the opinion that weighing executions versus life without parole partly on the basis of 'tax dollars' is kind of scummy to begin with and really puts what people value into perspective.

If we had no consequence for crimes the crime rate would be ludicrously higher than it is now. Some people are going to break the rules, but most people really don't want to go to prison and are just going to go about their business.

Beyond the fact that it's ineffective? You don't kill someone because you yourself will be killed? That's really what's stopping you from raping and killing?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm not sure if you think you have a point here.

I'm not sure if you'd care either way, given that response.

Pretty much how Fenderputty put it, is where I was going. But we can be silly to each other too, if you want.

Goliath

The idea that there's some kind of 'humane' way to execute someone is a laughable delusion to make people feel better about their bloodlust.

Considering the fact that administering the death penalty is more expensive than letting them rot in jail... and that's with a flawed process the results in plenty of innocent people arriving on death row... cutting corners to reduce the cost certainly isn't going to help there.

I don't see what good the death penalty does except to appease some people's baser instincts.

I always hear that statistic but I am not sure how the calculation is done. I mean if you have a life term starting from 20 and die of natural causes in prison at 80 is it reallycheaper then the 20 year old being on death row till execution?

And I mean what is the alternative. These prisoners that go on death row are exceptionally bad and dangerous. So do we keep them locked up in solitare forever? Is that better so no blood is on anyones hands? Or put them in the general population so they can terrorize or influence other less serious prisoners?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Except that it doesn't work. We incarcerate more people than the rest of the first world. We execute more people than China. If you get out of jail you are more likely to become a repeat offender than reintegrate into society. It's safe to say how we look at punishing law breakers is flawed and isn't doing what we need it to do.

Buzzman

Banned
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope one day you can find a way to cope with your feelings. I really suggest trying therapy if you can find an affordable one.

Beyond the fact that it's ineffective? You don't kill someone because you yourself will be killed? That's really what's stopping you from raping and killing?

I don't want to rape or murder, so I don't do it. But if I did and they wouldn't get me sent to prison, then obviously I'd do it, because there's no consequence.

Joni

The death penalty isn't either. It is actually worse at stopping crime. Murder rates dropped faster and lower in US states without death penalty. If you want to deter crime, you should avoid a punishment that makes sure criminals have to take out any possible witness if they want to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom