• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

2K9PUME.jpg

About:
From Tribute Games, the team who previously worked on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, and animator Paul Robertson comes Mercenary Kings a 2D cooperative action game with precise platforming action and an intricate crafting system. The game supports up to four local players. You play as the Kings, the most skilled mercenary to ever walk the earth. Complete various missions to witness the story and gather items and materials dropped by enemies to create your own weapon. Any part of a weapon is customizable, and making changes can alter the effect and success of your attacks. Create your own arsenal of weapon to complete your missions!

Mercenary Kings might feel like something from the 16-bit past, but – like the Kings’ weapons – it’s crafted with brand new pieces into an explosive, modern package. Vanquished enemies drop a variety of materials that you can later craft into almost anything to give you an edge against CLAW. You can build with more than 300 firearm parts to mix and match into any weapon you can think of.

Build a scary-looking rifle, or a toilet-shaped machine gun. Or forge impressive or incredibly silly blades. Scavenged parts can be made into stronger armour, or turned into bio-mods, upgrading your mercenary’s strengths and reducing his weaknesses. Fruits from the jungle become ability-granting meals. Mercenary Kings’ boasts IMMENSE crafting mechanics that spread throughout the gameplay.

X3OtvME.gif

Story:
Mercenary Kings air drops you into a colourful world of stylized, cartoonish warfare. When the Cybernetic Loyalist Active Weapon clan (CLAW) steals the Mandrake Formula, capable of reshaping any living thing into a dangerous weapon, King and Empress are sent in to retrieve it. CLAW’s leader, Commander Byron Baron – aided with his dog Alpha and a cloned army of miscreants – controls the entire laboratory base of Mandragora Island and seeks to make it the birthplace of a new, terrifying age.

Assisted by their own crew of experts, the Kings take on a multitude of missions where they must slice and blast their way through Baron’s band of bad guys, retrieve the formula, and save global peace.

Price/Platforms:
  • Currently FREE with PS+/$20USD PS4
  • $20USD Steam (PC/MAC)
  • Coming soon to OUYA

Screens:

Video:
Trailer (Steam PS4)
PS4 Launch Trailer

eV4PHzB.jpg

Preemptive Strike: I like how the game takes into account how heavy your gear is and that you usually need to take a second to bend your knees to jump. Kinda like the Killzone games.

Game is really fun to play with 3 other people whether it's splitscreen or online. It's yet another great local multiplayer game for the PS4.

Odrion

Banned
My PSN is Odrion, add me if you want me to stumble into your Co-op game or something.

Really digging the game so far.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can't get into it.

I don't mind the jump timing, but the time limit on levels got me on the very first level - I just don't want to be rushed in games like this. And then on the second level I tried (gathering?) I couldn't work out how to get past the waterfall.

Also the presentation is pretty poor at the start. Just trudges on for ages until you get to the actual game. And many of the larger character images don't really look like pixel art, more like hires art that they've run through a filter to make blocky, which comes off looking a bit odd to me.

While I still have a big backlog, that's enough to not make me want to go back, at least for a while

Not a big fan of the split-screen multiplayer, I feel like I would enjoy this more on a portable system too. I played it at my friend's place and it seemed like it would be more fun if we weren't delegated to a small corner. Perhaps online multiplayer or single player would be more fun.

But yeah, I'd love to see this on 3DS.

daydream

Banned
Didn't expect this of all things to be as divisive as it is. Probably has to do with a lot of people getting their hands on it (due to PS+) that wouldn't have touched it otherwise.

Have yet to play the final version. The early build they put out seemed promising, but the mission design was sorely lacking. Seems like there's still some genuine issues that need to get taken care of, but also a lot of wrong expectations that need adjusting.

Yuripaw

Banned
Didn't expect this of all things to be as divisive as it is. Probably has to do with a lot of people getting their hands on it (due to PS+) that wouldn't have touched it otherwise.

Especially at $20, I think that's asking a lot, and if it wasn't free with PS+, I don't know how well it would be received tbh.

EGOMON

Am loving this game but the time limit and the respawn mechanic is ruining it for me devs needs to do something about it its frustratingly hard

Am loving this game but the time limit and the respawn mechanic is ruining it for me devs needs to do something about it its frustratingly hard

take some adrenaline. it revives you or a team mate on death.

game is pretty awesome. dont understand the capture mechanic all the way trying to get materials. trying to capture things when its not the mission focus is something i dont know if possible or im just not getting it entirely.

much fun though

maouvin

Is there any bonus if I build my gun with all parts from the same "set"?

Not a big fan of the split-screen multiplayer, I feel like I would enjoy this more on a portable system too. I played it at my friend's place and it seemed like it would be more fun if we weren't delegated to a small corner. Perhaps online multiplayer or single player would be more fun.

But yeah, I'd love to see this on 3DS.

Indeed, it plays great on Vita via remote play. Would totally buy a vita version with cross-save and cross-play.

I can't say that this game gives a good first impression (which seems to be the general consensus, mine included), but once the game opens up I think its pretty good. Some of the problems that people were complaining about (Gears of War reload, diagonal shooting) can actually be overcome with the right upgrades/guns.

Excellent Protips for those thinking its too hard:

If you find another infirmary it will be set as your spawn point when you die.
Protip 1 : Buy adrenalin shots, revives you on the spot and can be used to revive friends
Protip 2 : You can use the radio to order C4/First Aid kits/Pokeballs (only with areas with no boss)/Teleport you to your current spawn point for "free" (only uses radio battery which refills after each mission).
Protip 3 : When you're close to finishing a mission, order items with the radio and put them in your storage back at base, kits are expensive yo.

Every time I see this game mentioned, people add on more "It's just like ____" games.

I actually feel like the existing Metal Slug comparisons are already superficial.

As I said, and will now expand on.

I think the gameplay is mostly fucking awesome. It feels good, the few guns I've tried feel good, everything handles really well, the art is awesome and the whole style is good, it kind of reminds me of Scott Pilgrim, specially the game.

I just wish it more straight forward. I would have no issues with the game being, basically, Metal Slug. I don't like that I have a time limit and I don't like that I cannot find the last target/enemy/whatever, even after searching back and forth. I also don't understand why I cannot shoot diagonally when there's enemies that both shoot diagonally and others that come at you diagonally.

I dunno, it just feels like it could have been so much more if it was just a bit less for me.

daevv

The jump timing threw me off big time. After playing Guacamelee and it's superior platforming this felt alittle unpolished. Looking forward to trying it again though.

Vashetti

Banned
Gatdamn does this look crisp on the Vita through Remote Play.

Feels much more suited to this than the PS4.

Edit: PS4 version looks washed out by comparison. Dat OLED.

That respawn mechanic is there to discourage you from dying.
I'd think the three lives until mission fail would discourage that enough.

And the enemy respawning doesn't discourage dying as much as it discourages leaving the screen and coming back, which along with the timer discourages exploration. This is made worse when clearing a screen of bad guys, entering a doorway that sends you to a room with nothing in it, only to leave the room and find the screen filled with enemies again.

And speaking of the timer, I wouldn't mind as much if the game didn't have enemies that really force you to stop and wait - like the crouched ones hiding behind boxes and the riot shield ones. Is there any technique to moving through these guys quickly? Or do you just have to wait until you get the right upgrades? The rhythm of the game hasn't clicked for me yet.

NIN90

I tried it both shortly after it hit Early Access and now when it officially launched. I still think it's really boring.
It's too sluggish and the missions take too long to complete. Crafting isn't much fun either.

Number45

And speaking of the timer, I wouldn't mind as much if the game didn't have enemies that really force you to stop and wait - like the crouched ones hiding behind boxes and the riot shield ones. Is there any technique to moving through these guys quickly? Or do you just have to wait until you get the right upgrades?
If you can get around them I don't think the riot shield guys turn (or at least if they do you have more than enough time to unload into them) - same obviously goes for the guys using cover. Can be risky though.

bluehat9

Gathering missions suck (I guess I need one of the mods for more drops to complete them? But I can't get the drops needed to make the mods, lol) and I tried the main mission with red writing on recruit where you're supposed to capture the robot guy, but he runs away after like 2 seconds to who knows where and moving a pixel out of an area respawns all enemies which is garbage too.

So I stopped playing for now.

Hixx

So since giving up on Battlefield 4 this is the only PS4 game to crash on me.

I got into my game, rolled once then an error screen popped up.

Luckily it seems it was a one off.

As for the game itself... its okay. I can see it getting repetitive very quickly, though. And I'm not a fan of the bosses running away at all. Music is great though!

Odrion

Banned
The diagonal fire isn't there because the game wants you to approach enemies in a way that isn't a dumb shooting gallery.

Such as: There's a guy up top? You need to get under him, oh wait, he'll jump down to counter you so you'll need to also roll.

The enemy encounters in this game asks you to fight them in their line of sight, so you actually need to watch out for their attacks. Roll with it.

Lunzio

I like that it's packed with content but it does feel a little slow to progress.

Also gather missions can go die - particularly 25 minutes of finding 10 gold coins.

UNCyrus

I like that it's packed with content but it does feel a little slow progress.

Also gather missions can go die - particularly 25 minutes of finding 10 gold coins.

That mission can go die in a fire. Spent 10 minutes looking for the last coin.

That mission can go die in a fire. Spent 10 minutes looking for the last coin.

that one tok me the longest too i was getting worried that it was in the one chest where you have to roll then drop left real quick by my charector was too heavy to make it this trip and id already spent so long i didnt wanna restart. thank goodness it wasnt there.

i immediately open the map and work backwards if you start in the middle from there combing the whole level now for any gather quests

The diagonal fire isn't there because the game wants you to approach enemies in a way that isn't a dumb shooting gallery.

Such as: There's a guy up top? You need to get under him, oh wait, he'll jump down to counter you so you'll need to also roll.

The enemy encounters in this game asks you to fight them in their line of sight, so you actually need to watch out for their attacks. Roll with it.

i dont think for a moment i was like no diagonal fire gahhck. you just adjust. makes the timing and movement funner more engaging. hopping back n forth in between shots popping off some of your own

later on you get homing bullets so...

Anung

Un Rama
I really like the style and I'm loving the music (Some of it sounds like Anamanaguchi) but for some reason I'm just not getting into it.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This game is harder than I thought it would be and forces you to approach different fights cautiously or get fucked up. I like it!

Epcott

Thought I would play more of this today.

Jump delay Is annoying as is ducking delay. Have yet to co-op a mission yet. Still kinda fun. Not pick up and play fun like games of old (Gunstar Heroes or Mega Man 1-3), but pretty good for at least trying to find similar vibe with added depth (wich isn't explained all to well, but works over time).

Agent X

I just posted the following in another thread about Mercenary Kings on PS4, but actually meant to post it in this thread, so I'll repost it now.

Here's a tip for trophy hunters: There's a gold trophy called "Untouchable", which you can obtain by completing a mission in single player without getting hit. I easily earned this trophy (without even deliberately trying for it) by completing one of the hunting missions on the Recruit rank. I don't remember the name of the mission, but it requires you to go into the hunting grounds, shoot some animals, and pick up two pelts. I found a couple of foxes near the lower portion of the map, which I killed and was able to gather their pelts. Give this a try if you want a quick and easy gold trophy!

Mikey Jr.

Well, there certainly are a lot of questionable gameplay decisions in this game.

Decisions that make me go "the fuck were they thinking..........?"

I played this months ago. Was pretty fun, but didn't have a lot of staying power. Haven't kept up with what they have changed since then, but my rifle could shoot through god damn walls.

Edit: Have they fixed the thing were playing multiplayer was really crappy in terms of rewards compared to single player?

Curious_George

Neo Member
Can't get into it.

I don't mind the jump timing, but the time limit on levels got me on the very first level - I just don't want to be rushed in games like this. And then on the second level I tried (gathering?) I couldn't work out how to get past the waterfall.

Also the presentation is pretty poor at the start. Just trudges on for ages until you get to the actual game. And many of the larger character images don't really look like pixel art, more like hires art that they've run through a filter to make blocky, which comes off looking a bit odd to me.

While I still have a big backlog, that's enough to not make me want to go back, at least for a while

Ugh. Screw time limits. As much as I've been interested in this game that might just be the deal breaker for me. I hate feeling rushed, especially if it's a constant element of the gameplay. This isn't a score attack game, why would they put time limits on it?

Pimpbaa

Played it last night. Wasn't impressed with the long load times and jittery scrolling (on the ps4).

Im still enjoying the game here r some tips that helped me

1. In the main menu, theres help & options where you'll find the instructions. Read them. It'll help u pick up lil nuances.

2. Ignore the time limit. The time limit is in the game I believe, because u visit the same levels repeatedly. If there was no time limit & u explored every corner the next time u play the level u would be bored of it. So focus on your mission! Each one takes u a path where you'll eventually see it all. Just like borderlands

3. Rescue the gun chick then the blademaster

And last but not least

THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS. I repeat THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS

Namikaze

I really like this game so far. I find it dull in single player though, multiplayer is so much fun once you get a good group of people playing. It's worth a try even if you end up hating it.

I'm really liking this game. I don't really mind the jumping at all either. Last night I played a lot with two others and we all had a good time. (Except when a random fourth player would join despite having the game set to invite only. They always ended up dying and eating up our life count.) I can see it getting pretty grindy if you want to forge all the weapons/mods/etc. but it's still a good deal of fun. Only thing I don't like is having to bend down to pick up materials. Wish I could just walk over materials to collect them.

I just posted the following in another thread about Mercenary Kings on PS4, but actually meant to post it in this thread, so I'll repost it now.

Here's a tip for trophy hunters: There's a gold trophy called "Untouchable", which you can obtain by completing a mission in single player without getting hit. I easily earned this trophy (without even deliberately trying for it) by completing one of the hunting missions on the Recruit rank. I don't remember the name of the mission, but it requires you to go into the hunting grounds, shoot some animals, and pick up two pelts. I found a couple of foxes near the lower portion of the map, which I killed and was able to gather their pelts. Give this a try if you want a quick and easy gold trophy!

I was wondering about this. I've completed like 3 missions alone without getting hit and that trophy still hasn't unlocked. I even did that same mission you're talking about and it didn't work. :\

Top Bottom