• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS. I repeat THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS

Oh yeah, super useful once I figured that out. Means you don't have to be quite as defensive all the time, speeding up the game's pace. I also was able to knife the riot shield enemies to death through their shields on certain occasions, although it was blocked on others. You can also knife the basic gun grunts through their cover. And you can knife while reloading. The knife is a very useful tool.

Only thing I don't like is having to bend down to pick up materials. Wish I could just walk over materials to collect them.

I think that's so you don't accidentally pick up the last material in a collection mission by accident, if you're still looking for other things. On thing I wish they did was let you pick them up during a roll. You do if the item was dropped under a spot that you can only get to by rolling, but not otherwise. If, again, it's to prevent accidentally picking up items, then they could make it so you only pick things up during a roll while holding down. It would increase the pace of the game quite a bit more.

iwWPgAZHrMmil.gif

KJRage

I'm really liking this game. I don't really mind the jumping at all either. Last night I played a lot with two others and we all had a good time. (Except when a random fourth player would join despite having the game set to invite only. They always ended up dying and eating up our life count.) I can see it getting pretty grindy if you want to forge all the weapons/mods/etc. but it's still a good deal of fun. Only thing I don't like is having to bend down to pick up materials. Wish I could just walk over materials to collect them.

I was wondering about this. I've completed like 3 missions alone without getting hit and that trophy still hasn't unlocked. I even did that same mission you're talking about and it didn't work. :\

I was having that problem with that trophy not unlocking. I had gone through earlier and accidentally got hit. I reloaded the level and went through it without getting hit and it never unlocked. Apparently you have to close the game and redo the mission for it to work. That did it for me and it seems to work for everyone else.

Played it a little bit thanks to PS+ and didn't really dig it. Tried the first gathering mission where you have to collect two pelts, and it took me about eight minutes of running in a circle to let the foxes respawn before the RNG god actually looked at me and dropped some pelts.

Also the jumping bothers me, feels like the whole world is jerkily shifting rather than your character moving.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
Strikes me as a bad attempt at an established genre. Not terrible by any means, but done better when it was popular 20 years ago. It's exactly how I felt about the Scott Pilgrim game as well.

Oscar

I just finished the first full set of missions. One of my only and biggest complaints would be the lack of varied environments for now. The first 7-9 missions I played all were using the same map.

Replicant

It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands

I swear I saw a PSLIVE broadcast with similar title last night.

Im still enjoying the game here r some tips that helped me

1. In the main menu, theres help & options where you'll find the instructions. Read them. It'll help u pick up lil nuances.

2. Ignore the time limit. The time limit is in the game I believe, because u visit the same levels repeatedly. If there was no time limit & u explored every corner the next time u play the level u would be bored of it. So focus on your mission! Each one takes u a path where you'll eventually see it all. Just like borderlands

3. Rescue the gun chick then the blademaster

And last but not least

Oooh nice. Haven't play the game yet but will try this tonight.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So guys, give me good news: Local Co-op? Splitscreen?

tranciful

I can't find any good wikis anywhere. Best so far is http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=164034416

Does accuracy weapon stat affect bullet spread or crit rate?

Does large ammo type have any advantages besides extra damage? Seems like it'd be more likely to hit the environment instead of your target if the hitbox is bigger.

In case anyone is wondering about weight:

Very Fast = 2.0 kg or less
Fast = 2.1 kg to 5.0 kg
Normal = 5.1 kg to 8.0 kg
Slow = 8.1 kg to 11.0 kg
Very Slow = 11.1 kg or more

edit: gah, that's not just the main weapon weight -- that's entire weight. Press pad, then go to status to see total weight. Knife, backpack items, bionic mods all add weight.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Played Early Access since I Kickstarter backed this a long time ago. Didn't enjoy it then as while the visuals were great, the gameplay just didn't seem to be there.

Free on PS+ so thought I'd give it another chance. Audio seems to have serious issues, and while the presentation is of an even higher quality now, gameplay is still just as bewilderingly dull and needlessly complex as ever. Can see why it had to be a freebie at PS4 launch. Paying for it in seemingly still beta quality would have probably not gone down well with most.

All it does actually is make me want to replay the Metal Slugs again, Contra, and the Gunstar Heroes games instead.

Spinluck

Love this game.

Few gripes:

- Auto reload when you're out of ammo. This can throw off your timing for the active reload mechanic.

- Loading times, and the audio skipping. Hopefully these things can be addressed with a patch.

I had an issue with the layout, but fortunately the game allows you to change it. I made left stick my item switch instead of having to hold one of the shoulder buttons down. Far more intuitive and fluid for me (especially during intense moments).
Besides that and maybe a few things I forgot to mention it's a solid game. Enjoying it a lot. Didn't expect it to be as challenging as it is, but I welcome it with open arms.

Love Paul Robertson's artstyle, and would probably by anything it's featured in.

So guys, give me good news: Local Co-op? Splitscreen?

None :-(

BOTH :)

Doorman

Been wondering where the OT for this game's been. I downloaded it last ween when the Steam full release went live and I personally have been loving the hell out of it.

I will say this as a warning to people not familiar with the way this game operates. People liken this to Metal Slug or Mega Man, but in terms of play style and mission structure, the closest analog I can come up with is Monster Hunter. This is particularly true in the way that the biggest drive of the game is gathering materials to craft new weaponry. The way bosses work in this game is also very Monster Hunter-driven, in that they are capable of migrating around the map and also the weaken-to-capture mechanic.

Tip for boss-hunting missions: Check around areas with a green skull icon on your map to see the possible spawn-points for a boss. Once you spot it the first time, the area he's in will appear on the map as a yellow skull. Don't forget, if a boss loves to give you the runaround, you can call Miss Zero to teleport you to the starting point, it can save quite a bit of time running around!

Since I'm already a fan of the Monster Hunter formula, this game feels right at home with me, especially when you get co-op going with a group of buddies online. Gathering quests go a lot easier when you can split up to cover more ground, and boss fights get more hectic (and tactical, if you can catch a boss in a pincer). It's always fun to pick out new gun parts to throw together and see how they react, and that buildup of power you feel is really nice. Not the sort of game for everyone, again very much like Monster Hunter, but if it does get its hooks in, it's absolutely worth giving a shot at.

Lucent

The only thing that bugs me about multiplayer right now is that you can't keep randoms from joining. I thought that's what Invite mode was for, but even in that mode random people jumped in. Really frustrating when you and your friend are doing good and then some randoms come in and join missions just to stand around while you do everything or get killed before you can complete the mission. =l

androvsky

I've been enjoying this game quite a bit. I'm not sure what old-school game I'd compare it to, since it's a mash-up of a lot of different things. I feel like it's more putting shooting elements in an RPG rather than the other way around, given the pacing and deliberate movements required.

Oh, and for people annoyed with the reload mechanic, I've found there's at least one weapon that doesn't require reloading at all, and it's available during the Recruit missions.
It's the Peashooter, make sure you don't equip a magazine.
Only drawback is it's not full auto (damage is mediocre at best), but it'll fire about as fast as you can hit the fire button.

tranciful

Any tips on how to kille the steel soldier. Coming up short at the moment.

When he's close, he'll usually do arm thrust -- duck, then you have time to do a jump/shot and hit the cockpit while the arm is out before you need to land and duck the return.

He might also jump at you, so be prepared to roll under him.

When medium distance, he sometimes slashes down with knife -- attack cockpit while the knife is on the ground.

You can also hit him in the back top blue area.

When capturing, you have to hurt him till he's blinking red and then throw a nade at one of his weakspots described above.

The only thing that bugs me about multiplayer right now is that you can't keep randoms from joining. I thought that's what Invite mode was for, but even in that mode random people jumped in. Really frustrating when you and your friend are doing good and then some randoms come in and join missions just to stand around while you do everything or get killed before you can complete the mission. =l
Yeah my friend and I hadn't his problem last night. I'm assuming it's a bug.

Doorman

Figure I'll pick up on a few of the recent questions:

Does accuracy weapon stat affect bullet spread or crit rate?

Does large ammo type have any advantages besides extra damage? Seems like it'd be more likely to hit the environment instead of your target if the hitbox is bigger.
For the former, accuracy affects bullet spread. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that, like most modern shooters, accuracy lowers if you fire while you're moving and gets a little bit better if you fire while crouching.
By "large ammo" I'm assuming you mean magnum ammo? I believe it's just larger bullets and more damage (and of course, more ammo mods to pick up later if you want to add elemental effects onto it, too).

When you pick up crafting materials do all players get them or only whoever picked them up?
Most regular materials (lead, aluminum, steel, polymer, coins, etc etc) are totally shared amongst the whole party. Basically anything that you find in a chest of by killing regular enemies. The rarer materials that you get from destroying bosses seems to be determined by individuals, but I think the pickup still counts for everybody. So, say someone defeats a steel soldier and picks up the drop. It might turn out to be a blade shard for them, while someone else receives a robotic claw. Similarly, the "bonus materials" you gain at the end of a mission are doled out individually.

coldfoot

Banned
Respawn at start + time limit + respawning enemies = fuck this game.
When the first level, recruit level, gives me trouble, I see no reason to keep playing this pile of garbage. What a waste of a PS+ month for PS4.

When the first level, recruit level, gives me trouble, I see no reason to keep playing this pile of garbage.
While I share this sentiment, I'm going to play this as I wait for MLB 14 to come to PS4. And I still have to Plat Infamous: SS.

Doorman

Anybody have any tips for fighting Raid Rover? Can't get enough of this game...need to beat him and move on haha

Personally, I think the Raid Rover is easier than the Steel Soldier if only because you can damage him literally any time, from the front or behind. He follows a pretty simple pattern where he'll advance towards the center, retreat (usually firing his guns), advance to the center again and do his elevated attack, then charge to the other side once he comes down and repeat. Roll/run underneath him once he raises up to fire his lower guns, and you'll be able to wail on him once he comes down and moves to the other side.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
When the first level, recruit level, gives me trouble, I see no reason to keep playing this pile of garbage. What a waste of a PS+ month for PS4.

I got hung up on an early level too. Its starting to grow on me though since I have a machine gun.

Talk about not going out of it's way to give a good initial impression though. I don't blame you.

Epcott

This game is actually pretty fun. Had it not crashed I would have played 3 hours straight and not even noticed.

On my final Recruit mission. I hope there's more maps and bgm later on.

I got hung up on an early level too. Its starting to grow on me though since I have a machine gun.

Talk about not going out of it's way to give a good initial impression though. I don't blame you.

I hope you're right, because on top of what all he said there's also the stuttering, graphical glitches, audio popping, and just general feeling of half-baked rush job.

I didn't make it past the first rescue mission before I quit to play something relaxing.

daydream

Banned
Especially at $20, I think that's asking a lot, and if it wasn't free with PS+, I don't know how well it would be received tbh.

Ah, so you're arguing the opposite of what I'm arguing? I was thinking that user reception would be more positive because people that weren't interested to begin with are trying this out now with PS+ even though it may not be their cup of tea, whereas with a price tag, buyers would have made an informed decision.

Only a guess, though. Your point makes sense, as well.

-----

So, I started playing this. First few missions seem unaltered from the alpha (iirc) which I'm not too thrilled about, but: I've come to grips with the controls rather easily this time and think they work more or less perfectly. Jump delay isn't even that big to begin with, but I also got used to it pretty quickly.

I think it's crazy to dismiss this because you can't shoot diagonally. The game follows the norm rather than being an exception, not many sidescrollers have diagonal shooting. Like Mega Man, Metal Slug, what have you, this game is designed around its shooting mechanics the way they are. Like others pointed out, the Metal Slug comparison wears out, anyway, once you look past the mechanics and consider the progression system and loot structure which makes this indeed very Monster Hunter-y.

Art and animation are still top notch, as is the soundtrack. So yeah, I'm pretty satisfied.

Requoting some basic, very useful advice. I shan't forget about Protip 3 in the future.

If you find another infirmary it will be set as your spawn point when you die.

Protip 1 : Buy adrenalin shots, revives you on the spot and can be used to revive friends
Protip 2 : You can use the radio to order C4/First Aid kits/Pokeballs (only with areas with no boss)/Teleport you to your current spawn point for "free" (only uses radio battery which refills after each mission).
Protip 3 : When you're close to finishing a mission, order items with the radio and put them in your storage back at base, kits are expensive yo.

Im still enjoying the game here r some tips that helped me

1. In the main menu, theres help & options where you'll find the instructions. Read them. It'll help u pick up lil nuances.

2. Ignore the time limit. The time limit is in the game I believe, because u visit the same levels repeatedly. If there was no time limit & u explored every corner the next time u play the level u would be bored of it. So focus on your mission! Each one takes u a path where you'll eventually see it all. Just like borderlands

3. Rescue the gun chick then the blademaster

And last but not least

Lucent

I hope you're right, because on top of what all he said there's also the stuttering, graphical glitches, audio popping, and just general feeling of half-baked rush job.

I didn't make it past the first rescue mission before I quit to play something relaxing.

Well, I think anybody who has PS+ should play this regardless of what anyone says. I think it's a case by case thing because I haven't suffered any stuttering, graphical glitches, audio popping, etc.

The only thing that sucks so far is that there don't seem to be a lot of levels yet...but then again this is another example of the Monster Hunter part of the game. You replay the same levels a lot, there's just different objectives to complete within them.

It's probably something that I wouldn't find as fun alone, but playing with a friend makes it easier to ignore any of the shortcomings. The main thing I want fixed is random people dropping in when you're on Invite mode. I only want to play with my friends. =/

Wynnebeck

Banned

I have no idea what's going on considering I'm now on Mission 6 and I've yet to hit any of these glitches everyone is complaining about. I will say that if you have a Vita, you owe it to yourself to try Remote Play. I'm about to settle in bed and play the shit out of this.

Only on the second mission, but not really enjoying it. The constant enemy respawning is really aggravating. The time limit just stresses me out when I'm looking for captives to rescue. Eh, I'll give it more time.

tranciful

Think about this game like Monster Hunter instead of Metal Slug and it all makes sense.

The enemies respawn because this is a crafting game like Monster Hunter and if they didn't respawn, you'd have to restart the level when you're out of the enemies you need mats from. Need some feathers? Go to hunting grounds and find a route that respawns the bird over and over.

Time limit, consumable items to capture bosses, limited health, etc -- these are all part of the MH formula.

In MH I am usually looking for one big beast to spend 40 minutes killing. I find it frustrating to have to sit and wait for an opening to cannon fodder enemies while my time limit goes down because my path is blockd. And having to restart at the beginning of a side scrolling stage when all the enemies are now blocking my path again is annoying. Honestly if the time limit was just removed I wouldn't mind.

I'm so glad this game was on PS+. Screenshots looked interesting but gameplay is horrible. Saved myself 20 bucks! (how on earth do they justify the price tag?)

tranciful

In MH I am usually looking for one big beast to spend 40 minutes killing. I find it frustrating to have to sit and wait for an opening to cannon fodder enemies while my time limit goes down because my path is blockd. And having to restart at the beginning of a side scrolling stage when all the enemies are now blocking my path again is annoying. Honestly if the time limit was just removed I wouldn't mind.

I've literally never hit the time limit. Use your map. Find an infirmary and you will respawn there instead of beginning. Get a better weapon and you get into a groove and the extra enemies are more fun than an empty map. Play coop.

For the recruit rank, my favorite was a submachine gun with large capacity magazine and fire rounds (the spread means I can sometimes hit enemies behind cover). For the next rank, I've been using a sniper with piercing shots so I can shoot through walls -- total game changer.

Another tip, if there's a thin wall between you and an enemy, you can knife em.

I do wish/hope there are some big bosses that take longer though.

ReaperXL7

I've literally never hit the time limit. Use your map. Find an infirmary and you will respawn there instead of beginning. Get a better weapon and you get into a groove and the extra enemies are more fun than an empty map. Play coop.

For the recruit rank, my favorite was a submachine gun with large capacity magazine and fire rounds (the spread means I can sometimes hit enemies behind cover). For the next rank, I've been using a sniper with piercing shots so I can shoot through walls -- total game changer.

Another tip, if there's a thin wall between you and an enemy, you can knife em.

I do wish/hope there are some big bosses that take longer though.

There are.

Also, I love this game.

Cuyejo

Comparing this game to Contra/Metal Slug is a disservice to those two legendary gaming series, this game just didn't do it for me back when I bought it on that premise on PC, I will give it a second try though and see how it goes.

Vire

Got it for free and I was still disappointed. :/

I don't think this is anywhere near as good as any of the games the OP's title implies.

Top Bottom