• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mercenary Kings |OT| It's Megaman/Metal Slug meets Borderlands (lol)

Tizoc

Why is Metal Slug kept being used to compare this game? You can use Megaman I guess, but I have yet to see anything that makes it play like Metal Slug.

Lucent

Why is Metal Slug kept being used to compare this game? You can use Megaman I guess, but I have yet to see anything that makes it play like Metal Slug.

I think the only reason this is like Metal Slug is the visual style.

The big thing is it looks like it and the whole hostage rescue thing is kind of similar I guess.
Also, my OT title was sort of making fun of the old threads title and the reoccurring thing of "The dark souls of ___" or "____ meets _____."There are a TON of references, mechanics, and whatnot from both old and new games this seems to take from so there isn't really a specific game I think can be compared to it.

SnakeEyez

So call me dumb but I'm not quite getting the grasp of the upgrades. Right now I can upgrade my receiver to a hand cannon which if I compare it by parts, raises Power to 800 yet when I compare totals, it drops my total power from 120 to 114...How can that be? I even tried it out and the actual damage output is indeed less. How can my jaeger receiver which is a handgun class do more damage than a magnum class?? (same goes for Dunali, Shotgun class)

Mengetsu

Love the game me and my friend have been having a blast! Time is never an issue. Due to being used to MH I guess. We never hit that time limit.

I really like the title. I think it is a great take on the Mega man formula. Sure, it has a Metal Slug aesthetic but it's a mega man title with missions, crafting and lots of character upgrading. I can tell it is rough going at first but it gets better the more you invest in it. This is truly the only enjoyable playstation plus title for me at the moment. Well, I might come back to Don't Starve but outside of that they have mostly been forgettable titles for me. I especially didn't care for Dead Nation outside of its metal intro.

Edgeward

You cant shoot diagonally, and the art style and body proportions of characters are reminiscent of Metal Slug

tranciful

So call me dumb but I'm not quite getting the grasp of the upgrades. Right now I can upgrade my receiver to a hand cannon which if I compare it by parts, raises Power to 800 yet when I compare totals, it drops my total power from 120 to 114...How can that be? I even tried it out and the actual damage output is indeed less. How can my jaeger receiver which is a handgun class do more damage than a magnum class?? (same goes for Dunali, Shotgun class)

magazines/barrels/etc that aren't meant for that receiver can reduce the effectiveness.

Edgeward

Looks like an update is being pushed out,

"Addresses online stability issues"

I would like to see either host or majority/half of the group be able to force start countdown to start a mission.

Tizoc

What're the best items or equipment to craft in this game? So far I've only crafted the items that just give me increased stats instead of those that reduce one stat and buff others.

The big thing is it looks like it and the whole hostage rescue thing is kind of similar I guess.

Rescuing hostages in Metal Slug was not mandatory, or intended as a mission objective like Merc. Kings.
In MS, you'd recuse them for bonus score and for the items they'd offer like weapons, ammo, etc.

I sadly don't see a lot of similarities between the two games.

I take it the game isn't coming out on Vita? Because it would've been a good fit, you can play the game in short bursts, like 1~3 missions per session.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Played co-op with a friend of mine, had a lot of fun. After you get a hang of the mechanics/ map, it leaves a lot of room for communication and teamwork. It kind of reminds me a lot of monster hunter in a sense.

Edgeward

I have seen someone with a trumpet for a barrel that has a crazy spread shot. Looking into just mainlining it so i can get the unlocks and going back into the rest later.

Fuck those little wood critters. They make hitting them with my magnum so difficult.

I take it the game isn't coming out on Vita? Because it would've been a good fit, you can play the game in short bursts, like 1~3 missions per session.

I think it was rumored to be coming and possibly with cross-play and was mentioned again on the PSblog: "Bringing the game on Vita is a very popular demand and one we’d love to bring it there."

I've played via remoteplay all day now and it would be such a perfect fit for the Vita. The game actually looks better on the OLED than it does on my bigscreen.

I have seen someone with a trumpet for a barrel that has a crazy spread shot. Looking into just mainlining it so i can get the unlocks and going back into the rest later.

Fuck those little wood critters. They make hitting them with my magnum so difficult.

lol yup. I was using something similar to that before. The trombone is a shotgun and you can change your spreadshot depending on the ammo you use.

Right now I changed my loadout back to the starting 1-shot shotgun (with a 2shot mod) and a long range barrel on it.

LakeEarth

Just crashed on me twice, which is odd because it didn't crash on me at all yesterday. Did something change?

I also just finished a mission without getting hit, no trophy. Come on!

ReaperXL7

There are some pretty crazy weapons later on.

including an orange cat shaped shotgun, and. grey cat shaped assault rifle.

Bebpo

Banned
Played a bit of this...it's not bad, but yeah it's less-linear retro challenge Megaman core gameplay x other stuff. Not really my cup o' tea but I can see old school Megaman fans liking it.

I moved from PS4 version to pc. I bought the pc version the first day it arrived. The PS4 version is a huge mess. 10 times slower loading zimes. Crashes everywhere.

They should optimize it better befor releasing another patch.

where the hell do I find track plates? I just went through four boss missions trying to find some still nothin

I moved from PS4 version to pc. I bought the pc version the first day it arrived. The PS4 version is a huge mess. 10 times slower loading zimes. Crashes everywhere.

They should optimize it better befor releasing another patch.

Good to hear about the PC version being more optimized. Think I might officially buy this when its on sale.

1337Sauce

where the hell do I find track plates? I just went through four boss missions trying to find some still nothin

I know you can definitely get them from killing Raid Rover, however I am unsure of how common the drop is right now. I have got them a few times from killing the boss though...

Number45

Wait wait wait... THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS?

I had no idea there was a knife in the game. Time to read the manual I guess, because the tutorial clearly isn't up to snuff!

Omega

Banned
Respawn at start + time limit + respawning enemies = fuck this game.
When the first level, recruit level, gives me trouble, I see no reason to keep playing this pile of garbage. What a waste of a PS+ month for PS4.

I suck = this game sucks

I know you can definitely get them from killing Raid Rover, however I am unsure of how common the drop is right now. I have got them a few times from killing the boss though...

hmm i did that twice. maybe my hoarder mod is messing with it

edit: Yep my mod was messing with it...just got it from the rover. ty

Wait wait wait... THE KNIFE CAN DEFLECT BULLETS?

I had no idea there was a knife in the game. Time to read the manual I guess, because the tutorial clearly isn't up to snuff!

dude press triangle

jonabbey

I love the madcap art style and the music. The audio glitches are confounding, though. I thought maybe that was done on purpose as some kind of.. tribute to some old machine that I never used (Neo Geo?).

With a bit of polishing, I could spend a deal of time on this. Funny that two of the games on my 'next-gen' system are Ouya games.

The jumping seems off because how the levels have areas seemingly just out of your reach. It feels strange. Like when you tap a button to half jump and hold to fully jump, in many games, except that's not the case here. You're just almost jumping where you want then have to go maybe find a way to jump on something else further down to come back.

1836893_10152301839945900_618229004_o.jpg

Big Boss & Snake reference!?

Number45

I had an issue with the layout, but fortunately the game allows you to change it. I made left stick my item switch instead of having to hold one of the shoulder buttons down. Far more intuitive and fluid for me (especially during intense moments).
Ooh, thanks for this. I really need to delve into the help/options!

Respawn at start + time limit + respawning enemies = fuck this game.
Look for infirmaries. The last one you entered acts as your respawn.

How do you start online coop in this game?
There's an NPC on the top level of the camp. Think it's a robot?

dude press triangle
Thanks. Like I said I need to dig around a lot more, I didn't get much chance to play yesterdday.

I'm sure there was a B.O.S.S acronym in the intro as well. Obviously MGS has been quite an inspiration. :)

Well, I think it is the visual style, the military setting, similar mission-types(rescue prisoners), the wacky/zany characters, the weapons that contribute to that notion. When I first saw Mercenary Kings, I immediately thought of Metal Slug, but when I played it, I saw it was definitely more than that.

I played a few more hours of this game a little while ago, but multiplayer this time. It's really starting to grow on me. Now that I'm starting to get used to the controls (And not expecting Metal Slug gameplay) it's much more enjoyable.

I highly encourage people to give the game a second shot. The Monster Hunter elements (Crafting, Boss hunting, etc.) become much more fun once you get past the first few levels.

ReaperXL7

I'm not at home so I can't test it at the moment but I'm pretty sure that your equipment weight effects your ability to jump. I know it effects your speed, but I also noticed that as my gun got heavier it seemed harder to make some jumps that were really easy to make when using the standard pistol.

Salsa

I played this on Early Access quite a bit and had fun. Love paul robertson (see avatar)

need to get back to it now that it's out. Too bad local splitscreen still gives you 4 square-screens even if its just 2 players :/

Protip:

If you want to leave the current mission without exiting you have to do so through the Transmitter in your backpack. (ridiculous design choice)

Theres a ton of references here. I've seen a few MGS ones, even found an Archer reference. lol

Anyone know where to get Large meat?

Number45

If you want to leave the current mission without exiting you have to do so through the Transmitter in your backpack. (ridiculous design choice)
I don't see this as a problem in the context of the game. You call in everything like that from the transmitter.

Mapping the backpack to the left stick will probably make it a little more intuitive though, definitely going to do that later.

Edgeward

I'm not at home so I can't test it at the moment but I'm pretty sure that your equipment weight effects your ability to jump. I know it effects your speed, but I also noticed that as my gun got heavier it seemed harder to make some jumps that were really easy to make when using the standard pistol.

Yes, it is true. They explain as such in the help options in the main menu that there are 5(?) different weight classes and they effect speed and jumps.

I will say this as a warning to people not familiar with the way this game operates. People liken this to Metal Slug or Mega Man, but in terms of play style and mission structure, the closest analog I can come up with is Monster Hunter. This is particularly true in the way that the biggest drive of the game is gathering materials to craft new weaponry. The way bosses work in this game is also very Monster Hunter-driven, in that they are capable of migrating around the map and also the weaken-to-capture mechanic.

Yes, very much this. The sidescrolling gameplay and sprite graphics is just a hook to get players in, but the real meat of it is the farming/crafting.

Though this game doesn't seem to require the hundreds of hours MH has to collecting/crafting everything, but it's a nice small chunk of that addictive element.

Edit: I also want to add that it's best to play this with more people so you can all split up and explore the level before the time limit expires. Every item you pick up will also go to your friends and vice versa. This makes doing side missions (and discovering secret side missions) a lot easier too.

I'm not sure if this has been answered, but what is the point of doing the Extra Objectives? Is it just to gather additional materials?

Top Bottom