• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymphae

Banned
It's not a great idea to take swings at EviLore EviLore like that. He's going to tolerate our election fraud conspiracies and so forth plenty so long as we aren't attacking him for not buying into them with us. YOU PROBABLY THINK WE LANDED ON THE MOON, HAPPY EASTER, CUNT

I mean if you ban him from an entire board because he took some mild beef with you in one thread, that seems a bit much. You should be able to criticize the staff without fear of being banned. I don't think he crossed a line in my opinion.

I mean if you ban him from an entire board because he took some mild beef with you in one thread, that seems a bit much. You should be able to criticize the staff without fear of being banned. I don't think he crossed a line in my opinion.

I tend to think all their decisions like this aren't based on isolated incidents. At least when it comes to posters who have been posting a while. EviLore EviLore probably already considered Compsiox Compsiox 's presence on Politics as one doing more harm than good prior to that.

Jethalal

Banned
Just seems real flimsy to me and was never explained anywhere
Depends on your perspective. I saw his posts and I think he needs to take a break from all this stuff. Glad he got it, maybe due to another reason. It is the mods' call, the boss has been moderating before I was born, so he has a lot of experience in this stuff I suppose.

Nymphae

Banned
Like what?

Thread and board bans, no reason or log is required but you can effectively ban people from discussion this way. I am more curious about who is being thread banned than I am about which alt/spambot is trying to get an account today

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thread and board bans, no reason or log is required but you can effectively ban people from discussion this way. I am more curious about who is being thread banned than I am about which alt/spambot is trying to get an account today
That's how the system works. If you'd like to be banned fully for your tactless remarks toward ManaByte in the Covid thread instead of just reply banned, let me know and I'll sort it out for you.

Tesseract

Banned
plenty of slack has been given to fringe ideas about the results since november 3rd

we're two months out and a day from pence pulling the levers on the cert, just chill and let things be

i dunno what more people want after scotus punted

Jethalal

Banned
The Earth is flat.
It's very much round. A pokeball.
stock-photo-earth-ball-look-like-a-pokeball-game-comic-earth-illustration-sphere-477829561.jpg

Where do you think the Kraken lives ;)

Nymphae

Banned
That's how the system works. If you'd like to be banned fully for your tactless remarks toward ManaByte in the Covid thread instead of just reply banned, let me know and I'll sort it out for you.

I'm just saying it would be more useful to also include other types of bans on the bans page. The page was presumably created to add transparency so we can see who is being banned and why. I think it makes sense to extend this to other types of bans people can receive which are being used more frequently by my estimation.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm just saying it would be more useful to also include other types of bans on the bans page. The page was presumably created to add transparency so we can see who is being banned and why. I think it makes sense to extend this to other types of bans people can receive which are being used more frequently by my estimation.
It works pretty well as is. There are potential negative consequences for expanding the ban page with minor punishments like thread bans or board bans.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
plenty of slack has been given to fringe ideas about the results since november 3rd

we're two months out and a day from pence pulling the levers on the cert, just chill and let things be

i dunno what more people want after scotus punted
Nymphae is trying to find a "conspiracy" to shift his comments onto and not make it appear to be about the action taken against him specifically, after being reply banned from the Covid official thread for this post:

The reply ban was more than fair. Mana's family is apparently in serious trouble and he's being a twat to score conspiracy points.

Screw your conspiracies, Nymphae. Covid is real, we landed on the Moon, and the Earth is as Tess said.

My point is that you had to guess at that motivation when we have a ban page with a reasons field, that sounds like a ban but wasn't treated as one

Since he isn't actually banned from the forums all-together, just the politics sub-forum, he can bring his case to the ban thread, like so many others do. But he didn't. If you wanted explanations out in the open for his ban he would have been the one to drag those out by going there, but he didn't bother. Plenty of people go there and get indignant about warnings or thread bans, clearly he must not have thought he was in the right? Or you could message him and remind him he can do this

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don't see any reason to do that

Forums are going to have multiple threads about topics that constantly blur into one another
Being banned from one thread isn't shit to worry about; hell, you could even send a message to the mods asking if it's cool you make a thread to continue the discussion in the way that you would like, and do so if they accept it

Plus, you're posting in /gafPOL/, people are hot on political topics these days; you should expect to have to think before you say in that area, and if not, face the consequences (With most negative consequences being portrayed as unfair as per human nature)

EDIT: TBH I think this is a bit out of character for you, although I don't know you intimately or lurk your posts. If you're having a bad day or whatever, slide into my DMs man; can just bull shit with a third party and goosfrabah

EDIT2: Ah shit, well, he got himself banned -.-

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
simulation theory is conceivable but doesn't solve any tangible problems

we're locked to frames of reference and limits of observation
Yep. It's non-falsifiable. Fun to think about, but irrelevant, like the Invisible Dragon in the Garage by Carl Sagan:

"
"A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose (I'm following a group therapy approach by the psychologist Richard Franklin[4]) I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so.
"

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

bronk

Banned
used to play chip n dale a bunch with my brother, i swear that game was a precursor to griefing before griefing was griefing
I never beat the first level co op with my lil brother. We'd get to the power lines which is halfway through the level and by then he was either crying, screaming or trying to punch me in the head. You can troll so hard in that game. Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom