• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ughhh what have i become?, instead of taking the piss out of Reeee im now talking games FFS

EviLore EviLore right now

Plan GIF by memecandy

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Vice city was so much better on PC, i only played it on PC after finishing it on PS2, but it was miles ahead on PC, will admit PC didnt have 360 controller variants at the time so controller support was a mess.

Mouse and keyboard was and is always better on PC anway(except when driving a car with no shooting)

Ughhh what have i become?, instead of taking the piss out of Reeee im now talking games FFS
The only GTA I ever played on PC was San Andreas, and it was really fun. I had a Potato PC and it was one of the few games I was actually able to run. There was a dope Multiplayer Mod you could install called SAMP and I spent a lot of hours playing that. It was better than GTA Online in a lot of ways. The Roleplay servers were fun back in the day. GTA V has been popping lately with the RP servers on Twitch, looks pretty great. Incredible what some people make with no professional experience, just a passion and a hobby.

I still think GTA IV was better than GTA V in a lot of ways. It was more fun to drive around Liberty City and get into shootouts and car chases with the police. I also liked the different Russian characters and the less refined Euphoria physics. You could also enter hospitals and restaurants. I would rather Rockstar have remastered it instead of GTA V.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I still think GTA IV was better than GTA V in a lot of ways. It was more fun to drive around Liberty City and get into shootouts and car chases with the police. I also liked the different Russian characters and the less refined Euphoria physics. You could also enter hospitals and restaurants. I would rather Rockstar have remastered it instead of GTA V.

I think they got very innovative with gta IV and their idea to create characters that would phone you and you’d have dates with them to go and do activities was conceptually very interesting.

There’s always been this tension between going rpg/adventure and just being a chaos sandbox in gtas when you compare San Andreas/4 for example with vice city/5.

Brute

I'm pretty sure some of those cliche members are still floating around here and have gone silent over the past few weeks. On a serious note, what's the gimmick with Discord anyway? I've never looked into it. Is it like a hangout or what exactly?
Discord is shit. It's a mess of a platform. Or I'm just stupid. Probably both.

Ionian

Discord is shit. It's a mess of a platform. Or I'm just stupid. Probably both.
Meh really depends what channels you're in. Stopped using it a while ago as the channels I was in got boring, mostly Twitch ones but ended up massive donators flexing about getting to the most gifted subs. Serious money being dropped on basically nothing (idiots) and people kissing their ass. I can see it's purpose for gaming though with media options. Was even made a mod in a few, didn't want it so did next to nothing.

Now mIRC, that's were the real OGs hang out. Pretty much all the old chans I was in are dead for well over two decades though.

Ionian

I had a mirc chatroom. Good times.
I had one called #biteme. Went back to the internet cafe (4 pounds an hour for a shitty ISDN serving all the PCs, 90's big money) logged into the wrong server and demanded my channel back. They were very confused. Took me over an hour to download RHCP -Aeroplane video. Thing was the size of a stamp and was only 10 seconds long.

Old internet days, might be a good thread topic. Hilarious to look back on.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I had one called #biteme. Went back to the internet cafe (4 pounds an hour for a shitty ISDN serving all the PCs, 90's big money) logged into the wrong server and demanded my channel back. They were very confused. Took me over an hour to download RHCP -Aeroplane video. Thing was the size of a stamp and was only 10 seconds long.

Mine was WCW/nWo. I was a big wrestling fan back then. It didn't last long but it was fun.

I used to love reading and posting on usenet. The first time I discovered it was through a local BBS, although I'm not sure what software it used, but it basically mirrored a select group of usenet groups. Of course later on when I got actual internet service, I spent even more time on usenet. Primitive, but really good times.

Meh really depends what channels you're in. Stopped using it a while ago as the channels I was in got boring, mostly Twitch ones but ended up massive donators flexing about getting to the most gifted subs. Serious money being dropped on basically nothing (idiots) and people kissing their ass. I can see it's purpose for gaming though with media options. Was even made a mod in a few, didn't want it so did next to nothing.

Now mIRC, that's were the real OGs hang out. Pretty much all the old chans I was in are dead for well over two decades though.

Why did most of the Discords go all Patreon? I thought it was just a better looking IRC Chat room?

Paying to be in a room with others seems weird.

Brute

People still use IRC? Holy shit I lived on there in the mid-to-late 90s.

Netscape Navigator, IRC, I even liked the web chat sites where you'd refresh the page to update the convo. Good times.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member

I just miss MSN Messenger.

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I just miss MSN Messenger.

Big Brother Omg GIF by Global TV
I enjoyed Yahoo and MSN messenger in my early H.S. / college years. It seemed that when the chats were eliminated on the Yahoo side...it was downhill from there and a decision was made to just close it all down together. My studio computer has a bunch of older programs left installed included the Messenger login prompt (which obviously doesn't work). I have no clue when MSN's messenger went exactly. The last I recall using it was in 2008.

I think they got very innovative with gta IV and their idea to create characters that would phone you and you’d have dates with them to go and do activities was conceptually very interesting.

There’s always been this tension between going rpg/adventure and just being a chaos sandbox in gtas when you compare San Andreas/4 for example with vice city/5.
Well, I liked the friendships in GTA IV because the characters were interesting and the activities themselves were a lot of fun (Bowling, Pool etc) and you could unlock special favors, such as receiving backup from Dwayne or a car bomb from Patrick. Maybe they called often but you could always just accept and then call back to cancel so your friendship stat wouldn't decrease.

San Andreas is still my favorite in the series though because there really is so much to do in that game and having three large cities on one map is something they have yet to do again. Maybe because it means they would have to scale down the texture quality if they were to really go big on features and map density again. They don't even offer new single-player DLC. All of the new content is tied to GTA Online.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well, I liked the friendships in GTA IV because the characters were interesting and the activities themselves were a lot of fun (Bowling, Pool etc) and you could unlock special favors, such as receiving backup from Dwayne or a car bomb from Patrick. Maybe they called often but you could always just accept and then call back to cancel so your friendship stat wouldn't decrease.

San Andreas is still my favorite in the series though because there really is so much to do in that game and having three large cities on one map is something they have yet to do again. Maybe because it means they would have to scale down the texture quality if they were to really go big on features and map density again. They don't even offer new single-player DLC. All of the new content is tied to GTA Online.

Yeah, it's a shame they decided to abandon the path they had with SA/IV... although who knows with online being such a huge ordeal they might decide some of those RPG-lite elements are worth recovering to feed Online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom