• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sports are surprisingly big.

In the old days it got big enough a chunk of it split off and make a new forum.
I know there are fans, but put me in the skeptic category I guess. Lots of cord-cutters and viewership is a bit down anyway, and I don't think the NeoGAF gaming demographic are overwhelmingly into sports. But I could be wrong, I have no idea.

I used to be into college basketball but drifted off when I cut cable years ago.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I know there are fans, but put me in the skeptic category I guess. Lots of cord-cutters and viewership is a bit down anyway, and I don't think the NeoGAF gaming demographic are overwhelmingly into sports. But I could be wrong, I have no idea.

I used to be into college basketball but drifted off when I cut cable years ago.
That's partly why I like the idea of just non-video based games. Board games, card games, etc. Recreation in general would be cool ala the fitness community thread. I think there's a good overlap with positive people and recreation in general.

*Nightwing

Banned
Screenshot-at-2021-04-22-12-45-16.png
I wish I could leave a “praise the sun” reaction to this notification on the main page

Punished Miku

Do a board specifically for science and tech breakthroughs. Stuff more focused to white papers and technical topics such as the web3.0.
I like this idea because it slightly overlaps with politics, or just real world news topics.

Honestly, I enjoyed discussing politics and news from the world. I'd like one that is somehow more focused on quality or detailed topics. Maybe someday it'll be back.

Being honest, I don't know if I see a need for another board. I think people should focus suggestions on utility, by looking at the threads we produce and seeing if they could be organized better. If not, then it's not really needed.

DKehoe

If we're talking about shaking things up I'm not sure what it would involve exactly but it would be cool to have more people directed towards the community section.

Sometimes you'll get threads in OT relating to a subject there's a community thread for and there will be people who post about, and are interested in, that subject who never visit the community thread for whatever reason. It'd be nice to have some more crossover

Vestal

Politics board is attracting the wrong kind of people to the site.
Just curious, how are we going to deal with Major events? Example COVID, or other major US/Global impacting events? We all know that there is a political side to these major events that will be difficult to ignore when discussing them. How X/Y/Z country etc is handling it, so and so did wrong etc..

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Hahahaha guys guys
Give it a few days and relish in the thought that we're returning to one of the most used phrases I've seen on this forum

Keep politics out of gaming

We can figure out if we need another cup of milk later, we just got done cleaning one up

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Idk if I'm just being an idiot but isn't there a thread somewhere for technical problems with Gaf? All my posting options are greyed out for some reason.

Edit: By that I mean the ability to bold text, mark spoilers, insert links etc.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I wonder if people here just don't like talking about movies and TV or if people feel less motivated to do so because they're relegated to rolling OT topics.

People generally love to talk about movies and TV, but it seems the desire to do so here is very much askew compared to other things.

I wonder if there was a dedicated Movies and TV section if it would generate more discussion.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If we're talking about shaking things up I'm not sure what it would involve exactly but it would be cool to have more people directed towards the community section.

Sometimes you'll get threads in OT relating to a subject there's a community thread for and there will be people who post about, and are interested in, that subject who never visit the community thread for whatever reason. It'd be nice to have some more crossover
I admit I check the Communities tab the least.

The reason is because most of the hot topics are games related already, or media/anime. There are some sports ones in there as I can see F1 and MMA threads.

But it seems that tab is flooded with gamey kinds of threads and sports and hobbies might get buried.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The reason is because most of the hot topics are games related already, or media/anime. There are some sports ones in there as I can see F1 and MMA threads.

But it seems that tab is flooded with gamey kinds of threads and sports and hobbies might get buried.
FitnessGaf alone is worth the trip to the communities section. Join us.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I wonder if people here just don't like talking about movies and TV or if people feel less motivated to do so because they're relegated to rolling OT topics.

People generally love to talk about movies and TV, but it seems the desire to do so here is very much askew compared to other things.

I wonder if there was a dedicated Movies and TV section if it would generate more discussion.

That's interesting... with everyone having netflix, hbo, disney, whatever, we're all hooked to these things consuming more movies and tv shows than ever.

Gaming is entertainment. Movies and tv are (mostly) entertainment. Sounds like a good choice!

Punished Miku

Me personally, my viewership of most things has dropped off a cliff. And then for the stuff I am interested in, there's not much to discuss but spoilers so it limits things. I used to have great movie conversations with my friends, but I'm watching less than I ever have in my life these days.

I'll stop shooting down everyone's ideas now lol. Carry on.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So wait, people think a sports forum will be less contentious and attract better people? Have you been around a Yankee fan? *shudders*
I’ve been banned from every sports forum I’ve ever been on in my life and I never once got nasty or insulted anyone.

You’re right. If you think people get testy with politics, they get just as testy with sports. People absolutely positively cannot handle anyone talking bad about their teams. The amount of times I’ve had fellow fans of the same team call me a piece of shit scumbag just because I said I liked a player on another team, I can’t even count. And this is sports. At least in politics people go overboard because it has real life consequences, sports are just for fun and people get death threats and get campaigns to ban people just because they think a trade or signing sucks when mostly everyone else liked it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’ve been banned from every sports forum I’ve ever been on in my life and I never once got nasty or insulted anyone.

You’re right. If you think people get testy with politics, they get just as testy with sports. People absolutely positively cannot handle anyone talking bad about their teams. The amount of times I’ve had fellow fans of the same team call me a piece of shit scumbag just because I said I liked a player on another team, I can’t even count. And this is sports. At least in politics people go overboard because it has real life consequences, sports are just for fun and people get death threats and get campaigns to ban people just because they think a trade or signing sucks when mostly everyone else liked it.
Dont worry. You can call the Leafs shit all you want. I agree.

But this year will be different. Stanley Cup here we come! lol

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
That's interesting... with everyone having netflix, hbo, disney, whatever, we're all hooked to these things consuming more movies and tv shows than ever.

Gaming is entertainment. Movies and tv are (mostly) entertainment. Sounds like a good choice!
It’s just something I noticed. Now I know Game of Thrones was a unique phenomenon, but there are plenty of other shows that have strong fan bases that love to discuss it. Like Better Call Saul and some of the marvel shows. And I noticed there are way less TV posts here compared to some other sites I browse, including sits that get less traffic.

and I always wondered why. The odds that posters here just don’t like talking tv and movies doesn’t really seem logical to me. And I wonder if there was a movies and tv board maybe posters would feel less like they’re “derailing the OT section with movie and tv threads” and be willing to make more of them if there was a dedicated section.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Build your threads in the appropriate sub forum; business decisions are data driven with a mix of feeling
Give the admins that sweet data

Just because a thread dies didn't mean you did bad; gotta start somewhere to learn what attracts people and keeps a thread discussion going, and a variety of factors may cause surges or stagnation in a thread

DKehoe

Yeh I think it's understandable that people maybe visit it less. There are some great mini-communities here and it'd be nice to see them expand.

Just throwing out an idea but maybe we could have some kind of community spotlight where there's a regular rotation of a community thread temporarily being moved into Gaming/OT (whichever it's relevant to) where it stays pinned for a while to let people know about it before it's then swapped out for another and moved back to communities.

Alright

Banned
Build your threads in the appropriate sub forum; business decisions are data driven with a mix of feeling

Just because a thread dies didn't mean you did bad; gotta start somewhere to learn what attracts people and keeps a thread discussion going, and a variety of factors may cause surges or stagnation in a thread

Tag checks out.

Neil Young

It’s just something I noticed. Now I know Game of Thrones was a unique phenomenon, but there are plenty of other shows that have strong fan bases that love to discuss it. Like Better Call Saul and some of the marvel shows. And I noticed there are way less TV posts here compared to some other sites I browse, including sits that get less traffic.

and I always wondered why. The odds that posters here just don’t like talking tv and movies doesn’t really seem logical to me. And I wonder if there was a movies and tv board maybe posters would feel less like they’re “derailing the OT section with movie and tv threads” and be willing to make more of them if there was a dedicated section.
I like the idea of movie and tv....as long as we can be critical. Like you mentioned about sports, people can take their fandom of a show to insane levels. When I used to post for a very short time on Reddit years ago, I used to frequent The Walking Dead forum. Man, you couldn't even give a whiff of saying anything negative about that show without getting destroyed and even banned.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

It's tough getting something to stick.

I tried out with a game OT, for warframe. Not doing so good.

Then I tried with a Linux OT (and we have a decent amount of users). That one's buried too.

Not going to give up so easily, I'm already thinking of the next and we all know the third time is the right time eh?

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
It's tough getting something to stick.

I tried out with a game OT, for warframe. Not doing so good.

Then I tried with a Linux OT (and we have a decent amount of users). That one's buried too.

Not going to give up so easily, I'm already thinking of the next and we all know the third time is the right time eh?
For those 2, I would just say creating content or grabbing content to keep interests alive is good
Also planning small events/meet ups

Gaming nights for Warframe
Maybe some CTF or build wars (Make it light, add this feature, etc) to the Linux thread might bring some traffic your way

For instance, I noticed the Linux thread hasn't had a bump about the University of Minnesota being perma-banned from the main Linux git

TrainedRage

Banned
So no more Clown World, Era Thread or politics? What’s next no tits and ass thread???

The best thing about this site was being able to voice an opinion without too much fear of dog piles or woke bullshit. I see the times are changing, almost according to who is the current president.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So no more Clown World, Era Thread or politics? What’s next no tits and ass thread???

The best thing about this site was being able to voice an opinion without too much fear of dog piles or woke bullshit. I see the times are changing, almost according to who is the current president.
The best thing about this site is the gaming section. Fitness thread is a close second.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Don't go looking for boogeymen when the reason we can't have nice things is because too many users don't know how to behave themselves.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin

I would think with the removal of Clown World, the Era thread, and the politics sub forum, that dog piles and woke bullshit would be at a minimum

Can't have woke bull shit and dog piling if there's nothing to be woke over or dog pile over

Hard to do that over video games, unless you're for some reason being woke over it, or dog piling

I think very little has to do with who is the president in office on how the admins manage the community/web site, outside of maybe some government regulations

Soodanim

Sure, that’s exactly what’s happening. When Joe put his key in the door EviLore decided to start locking things down and now we’re all woke or banned.

Politics was a bitter little corner of the site that most of the members didn’t bother going to because more often than not it wasn’t worth getting involved in the discussion with the people there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom