• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBooper

I can see it. When you see the post was edited, it gives a bad impression for the poster's point, which maybe isn't a fair judgement if they were just correcting a typo.

In a busy topic I have avoided correcting a post because I know someone has probably already responded and I didn't want it to seem like I was weaseling out of something.

*Nightwing

Banned
Fuck spelin an gramher

And what’s up with linguists while we are at it? They don’t know how to use their tounges. Damn miss-leadingly named profession

PhoenixTank

A much easier solution is to proofread before you hit Post Reply

That and are you really bothered that much by a last edited mark on a post?
I get people have their pet peeves....
I proofread... but then I get that post-nut posting clarity and see a blindingly obvious error. Falls under the same concept as paired coding, which I believe you'd be familiar with?
Not bothered by the edit note appearing though. Doesn't quite have the same connotations that it might have had in the older days of forums.

Bryank75

Banned
Any way to get thelastword thelastword back?

steve tribute GIF

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I proofread... but then I get that post-nut posting clarity and see a blindingly obvious error. Falls under the same concept as paired coding, which I believe you'd be familiar with?
Not bothered by the edit note appearing though. Doesn't quite have the same connotations that it might have had in the older days of forums.
Don't get me wrong, coding ala Office Space is a pain in the ass
Just don't see the issue with an annotation rather than implementing a delayed posting system; adding features for little benefits/functionality overall, just more un-needed shit to break

If they're going to drop in the delayed posting, minus well open avatars to gifs

Soodanim

So, hey, mods? Anyone awake?

I know the forum runs on Xenforo. Nothing wrong with that, but I also frequent other forums built on it, and I know this is technically possible, so:

Can we have a "grace period" where we are able to edit a post after submitting it, without there being the "last edited" bit? Something like five - hell, two - minutes would do it. I usually find some grammatical/spelling mistakes I want to correct later on, and it annoys me that there's the mention of editing the post. When it fact it wasn't editing (as in changing the content) but more like proofreading.

(I know it is possible to preview your post, but seriously, who does that)
I agree with this one, most of my edits are spotting an autocorrect my phone did without me noticing which get fixed within 10 seconds of the original post. I'd rather have an edit tag than poor spelling or a misplaced word that could potentially mess with the point I'm making and it doesn't bother me as such, but in an ideal world that grace period would be there. In an ideal world my phone and I wouldn't make those mistakes in the first place, but asking GAF to fix that might be a bit much.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
So, hey, mods? Anyone awake?

I know the forum runs on Xenforo. Nothing wrong with that, but I also frequent other forums built on it, and I know this is technically possible, so:

Can we have a "grace period" where we are able to edit a post after submitting it, without there being the "last edited" bit? Something like five - hell, two - minutes would do it. I usually find some grammatical/spelling mistakes I want to correct later on, and it annoys me that there's the mention of editing the post. When it fact it wasn't editing (as in changing the content) but more like proofreading.

(I know it is possible to preview your post, but seriously, who does that)
I second this. 90% of my posts come from my phone and the autocorrect will "correct" things even if I spelled them correctly the first time.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Who knew an edit annotation would cause so much frustration lol

The only thing that delayed posts removes is an edit annotation; you'd still have to select to edit the post, then edit the post, then submit for confirmation

The only purpose that delayed posts serves is a placebo to end users and ends up causing more trouble than it's worth; high fives to the admins here if they want to implement that, but it's not a gain to anyone and just adds more complexity for no real benefit

Seriously, just proof read your posts harder, and if you're THAT concerned, have a peer review it before you post the reply :)

If not, it's the internet; it's a joke these days to correct people's typos and shit lol, it's not that serious

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I had a crazy dream the other day and woke up and the room was spinning. I thought it was just motion sickness from the dream, but it lasted the whole day. I'm guessing it was a bad case of vertigo. But man nausea is the worst feeling in the world to me. I'd rather be in physical pain than extremely nauseous. Shit totally debilitates you and you can't do shit other than hope you can find that comfortable position in bed so you don't feel like you gotta puke your guts out.

If any company can make a pill that instantly completely cures any episode of nausea they'd be worth billions.

There's some stuff out there that doesn't work all that great.

Soodanim

I had a crazy dream the other day and woke up and the room was spinning. I thought it was just motion sickness from the dream, but it lasted the whole day. I'm guessing it was a bad case of vertigo. But man nausea is the worst feeling in the world to me. I'd rather be in physical pain than extremely nauseous. Shit totally debilitates you and you can't do shit other than hope you can find that comfortable position in bed so you don't feel like you gotta puke your guts out.

If any company can make a pill that instantly completely cures any episode of nausea they'd be worth billions.

I didn’t know that was possible. Can you be sure it was the effect of the dream? Perhaps something that was happening affected the dream and continued to happen while you were awake. The dream being an effect, not the cause.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I didn’t know that was possible. Can you be sure it was the effect of the dream? Perhaps something that was happening affected the dream and continued to happen while you were awake. The dream being an effect, not the cause.
I think that's what happened. I think maybe I had a case of vertigo and that affected the dream and then caused me to wake up. But the nausea and dizziness lasted the whole day.

Not sure if it's possible that a dream can make you feel dizzy by itself though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I think that's what happened. I think maybe I had a case of vertigo and that affected the dream and then caused me to wake up. But the nausea and dizziness lasted the whole day.

Not sure if it's possible that a dream can make you feel dizzy by itself though.

Maybe you had your neck in a weird position while sleeping.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

There’s a variety of pretty effective pills for nausea associated with dizziness/vertigo. Maybe not instant, but definitely beneficial.

DKehoe

Wait, liking a post gets you banned?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be more careful what i give 'reactions' to. (y)
I imagine it was because the post was a direct endorsement of white supremacy. So liking that is viewed as showing support for it. So it's not just the same as liking one that's maybe a little on the edgy side.

In the vast, vast majority of cases reacting to a post isn't going to get you banned so you don't really need to worry.

Peggies

Gold Member
Haha RebellYell was long overdue. I remember him talking weird shit about women prefering "big, strong black bodies" and "the black gangster type".

I still suspect him to be the basis for the villains in "Get Out". Awesome movie, by the way!

DKehoe

I'll just play it safe and not react to anything. People have different views of things and it's not like i need the world to see what i like or find funny etc.

Thanks for chatting this out though (y)
No worries. Since your account is newer it is generally better to play it safe early on because mods are less likely to give new accounts the benefit of the doubt. But these days the mods are a lot less likely to give someone an insta-ban than they used to be. As long as you aren't posting or endorsing anything ridiculously stupid like that post then you'll be fine.

Alright

Banned
But these days the mods are a lot less likely to give someone an insta-ban than they used to be.
Well that's good to hear.

As long as you aren't posting or endorsing anything ridiculously stupid like that post then you'll be fine.
I probably won't be fine. I'm a bit of a mong and what I see as innocent others see as hugely offensive. I don't really understand hidden messages, reading between the lines and that. I'll just play it safe.

You may have saved my account!

Peggies

Gold Member
Episode 7 Reaction GIF by The Bachelor

How about we talk about something else than white supremacy or at least not in this thread.

Here we talk about fun things like drugs, boobs or lockdowns in various places around the world.
Which brings me to this:
2LdokSK.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom